• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
(Apparently Kojima is already developing another game)

DEFINITELY THIS!

In fact, I tend think Death Stranding should have been made in VR to have the kind of impact Kojima was looking for across a broader audience but I'll have to play it myself first to confirm.

Most games that are intended to be more experiential just aren't really effective until they get into VR since it's the only authentic way to immerse yourself into a game world and experience it rather then play it like a board game. fo
The first thing I thought of when I saw the vast scale of the Death Stranding landscape was that in VR, this would have a significantly higher impact on people that would keep more people interested. It wouldn't fix the divisive opinions, but it would help for sure. Though PSVR wouldn't be able to handle it, and there's just plenty of reasons why Kojima didn't go down that road. We know he wants to do a VR project at some point, but that's probably not until at least for another 2 games, so maybe in 5-7 years.

Oct 27, 2017
[...] Reviewing a game like this strikes me as really difficult let alone scoring it on a scale from 1 - 100. By the way Rob's review over at Waypoint is really great but seems to go against the common sentiment.

Thanks for the heads up on that. I listened to a few episodes of the Waypoint podcast a while back, and Rob consistently chimed in with well-informed, very carefully articulated points of view, so I'm definitely interested to see what he has to say.

Pulling up the written review now, it's certainly nice to see that he cared enough about the subject of misogyny (and its presence in Kojima's previous games) to address it within his review, and he has some largely encouraging (albeit not uniformly positive) comments in other domains as well:

[...] I harp on this in part because in general I was pleasantly surprised at how effective Death Stranding's world-building, backstory, and characterizations were. Especially given how disastrously things start off with the introduction of a cast of characters with names like Die-Hardman, Fragile, and Deadman, which played into every preconception I brought with me to Death Stranding. I was only introduced to Kojima by some die-hard Metal Gear fans with Guns of the Patriots, and found that game both impenetrable due to its self-reference and deeply off-putting thanks to an overtly juvenile and sexist authorial voice and directorial gaze. Death Stranding is hardly subtle, but its clean slate liberates it from the weight of series history that Metal Gear increasingly struggled to bear, and if it still has an objectifying camera, it's no longer leering and the character designs are more functional than stylized or sexualized. For a game whose marketing sometimes seemed to imply weirdness for its own sake, Death Stranding mostly wrestles with relatable and pressing fears and dread. But that also makes it all the more frustrating when it casts those themes aside for a facile homage to video games and "making connections." [...]
[...] The incredible attention to detail, to bringing small actions and gestures to life with thoughtful controls and and precise feedback [...] That makes Death Stranding first and foremost a kind of job-and-walking simulator, or perhaps more accurately, a backcountry hiking simulator. It has weapons, it has stealth mechanics, it has different enemy types who populate its world. But it's nowhere near as interested in any of those things as it is interested in the way each footfall lands on broken ground, how you move differently when you're carrying extra weight, depending on where you are carrying it. For one trek to a distant mountain peak, I over-prepared with gear and forgot that each new item would add to the comically growing pile atop my character's backpack. I had tons of climbing gear and weapons to deal with anything I might encounter… but it also meant that I'd turned my cargo into a giant sail. The moment I hit a blizzard near the summit, my character was spun around and then hurled down an icy slope, and sent a small avalanche of broken equipment boxes into the valley below. Death Stranding always wants you to think about speed versus safety, and to consider the hidden hazards that can only be avoided with forethought and care, not a tool.

It mostly succeeds at these ambitions. It maintains a sense of dull, focused tension as you consider each step of your journey, and each forking the potential path in light of the tools at your disposal. With a light cargo and good supply of ropes and ladders, forbidding cliffs can be become easy shortcuts. With a heavy cargo and a shortage of climbing gear, even gentle slopes become potential catastrophes. Sometimes this deliberate pacing and thoughtfulness gives way to a relaxing sense of success and freedom, but at other times it continues to build into a nail-biting crisis as one small misjudgment or stroke of bad luck creates another. You took the wrong way over a hill and instead of a gentle pass between peaks, you find yourself navigating deadly, snowy cliffs as every step leaves your character more tired, and consequently, clumsy [...]

I'll mention that Rob's praise for the traversal mechanics seems consistent with what John (of Digital Foundry) was saying earlier in the thread, in case anyone tuning into the thread just now missed that discussion:

I loved this game so much. What a breath of fresh air. It brought back that feeling of popping in a new Konami PS2 game back in the day, not knowing what to expect. It's mysterious and engaging. This is definitely going on my list this year.

...and this comes from someone that doesn't usually enjoy open world design. This solves so many of those issues.
I don't think the open world stuff in MGSV was great and the world itself wasn't especially interesting to explore.

The difference here is that you're weighed down by your cargo and inventory - so you really need to think about how to get it to the objective and I found the stuff that unfolds along the way interesting. The terrain itself is a challenge - I don't recall that ever being true in MGSV.
Yes, it is exactly that.

...but the term walking simulator was coined to describe games where you really don't do anything other than slowly peel back the layers of the story. There usually aren't mechanics outside of clicking on objects. I enjoy those types of games a lot too but Death Stranding really isn't like that.
[...] Here's some examples..

I need to reach my objective in a stony field with large chasms running through it. I had a lot of things to carry and could barely walk with them so I loaded everything into a truck and hit the road. Unfortunately, I tried to jump a large chasm and missed - the truck fell into the chasm. Ruined, I climbed out of it and tried to consider my options. However, this commotion triggered a nearby camp (they have these pylons which scan for cargo). You can hear them above the chasm and then they start climbing down after me. So I open up the truck inventory quickly, grab a few supplies for combat and run.

Then I spent time taking out the patrol one by one (non-lethal - since killing leads to a voidout which blows a huge crater in the map).

After dispatching them, I returned to the truck and transported things piece by piece up the side of the chasm back to the surface. Carrying everything would be too difficult so I made my way to the bandit camp where the enemies had arrived from. Managed to steal one of their trucks and get back to my pile of stuff where I could load it up. I was able to continue my delivery route to the next way point until BTs appeared and the battery on the truck ran low (and since I wasn't in the Chrial network, I couldn't build a charge station). So I grabbed the key items for the mission and continued on foot, sneaking through BTs. Eventually, I made it to the top of a mountain (looking something like Mars at this point) and used the steep terrain as an excuse to run down the hill while trying to keep balance. Then - the objective was reached.

A simple little story but it's this type of occurrence - things going wrong on the road - that makes for such a memorable time.
Oh, on the contrary, I found the environments in DS more stunning and majestic than BotW. You aren't just staying in one large area - you progress across the country and the scenery changes. The videos are limited to just chapter 3 as well so you haven't seen everything - not even close. The sense of scale and majesty of the world is perhaps the best I've ever experienced.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh brah get the fuck outta here with the troll shit you are just making up what you want to hear. I'm really responding to you taking you seriously for a second smh...

😂😂😂 good day sir
See ya. Maybe next time you quote someone saying an outlet said exactly that the gameplay is amazing or great maybe actually time stamp a video where they actually say that. Because the one you provided absolutely did not say that and I'm genuinely concerned that you think it does.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Giant Bomb's hate for the game makes me want to play so much more then I already did.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
(Apparently Kojima is already developing another game)

DEFINITELY THIS!

In fact, I tend think Death Stranding should have been made in VR to have the kind of impact Kojima was looking for across a broader audience but I'll have to play it myself first to confirm.

Most games that are intended to be more experiential just aren't really effective until they get into VR since it's the only authentic way to immerse yourself into a game world and experience it rather then play it like a board game.

I dunno; partly that sounds intuitive to have a game with a huge gameplay loop surrounding realistic-ish walking / balance / weight management be VR but VR is really tricky on the brain for a ton of games, and I can imagine a game where you are constantly off balance (but don't actually feel the inertia of being off balance in real life) would make a lot of people ill.

Acinixys

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
I enjoy short indie games that are basically just "go here, do thing"

My favourite thing to do in games in to just move over the world exploring things

This sounds like the $1 million dollar version of that

I'm game to try it

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
tenor.gif

This needs to be updated for Death Stranding.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I enjoy short indie games that are basically just "go here, do thing"

My favourite thing to do in games in to just move over the world exploring things

This sounds like the $1 million dollar version of that

I'm game to try it

It's interesting because I also really enjoy traversal in games, but I have the opposite reaction to the description of this game. I'm still super curious about it and I could be VERY wrong but the appeal of traversal sounds like it would be ruined by the micro-management, being off balance, etc.

But I won't know until I try it lol

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
Almost none of the glowing reviews are from games journalists that I'm familiar with and who are regularly mentioned on this board.

Pretty telling that most of the respected games journalists are pretty sour on the game, and it's a good thing for Death Stranding's MC score that many of those reviews are unscored.

I don't have time to read the last 20 pages, but jesus christ this post.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Almost none of the glowing reviews are from games journalists that I'm familiar with and who are regularly mentioned on this board.

Pretty telling that most of the respected games journalists are pretty sour on the game, and it's a good thing for Death Stranding's MC score that many of those reviews are unscored.
The gap is mostly visible in the US and a bit in the UK, the worlwilde reception is varied but not that harsh.

Last edited:

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm going to reserve judgement and see for myself whether this is a masterpiece or a turd. I think a lot of posters here would benefit from holding their tongues and doing the same, or just ignore this if the premise is a turn off.

It does seem like it comes down to what you want your games to be as to whether DS is a game that will resonate. Do you want something bold and challenging, or fun. Or both. Taking the variance of the reviews, from the awesome Heather Alexander review on Kotaku to Giant Bomb's mauling, I'm convinced this is one I need to form my own opinion of. Without playing it, I can't say whether it's pretentious crap or a sharp social commentary. Thread is fun though

Oct 27, 2017
I am just coming in here, why is everyone so down on what appears to be generally positive (granted with caveats) reviews? The only negative to me from watching the videos is the length of such a different type game with a unique loop.
Because "people" like explosions... and only explosions.

Not everyone is down on it. It's more like "GB say it's BAAAAD, I like GB so it's BAD!". If you know what you're getting into then you should be able to make a decision to avoid or buy based on your preferences.

There will still be a million "I have played for X hours when does it get better?", and "I can't sit through hour long cutscenes: this game is thrash" threads as per usual.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This looks so amazing

After the reviews i am sure this be a certified classic

I never doubted Kojima - but i really thought he would just reskin metal gear in a way (which would have been fine)

This seems just SO much more interesting than that though.

A TRULY original AAA title? Mind blown

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
The Tim from Kotaku review is the greatest video review I have ever watched, brilliant. I then listened to hours of Giant Bomb going over the game which many hate it, some are confused. I read so many reviews that have no clue what to say.

seriously, reading and Watching the reaction to this game is fascinating, never have I seen such trepidation when reviewing something. Some think it's boring but brilliant. Some say it's horrible but bold. The faces and noises they make when talking about it says so much, it's wild. I am more intrigued than ever to play.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Friend saying there's always several trucks in front of Conan O' Briens safehouse blocking the entrance.
How can this not be GOTG ?

Nov 11, 2017

Edge kotaku GB will probably bring it below 80 mc eventually

tr1b0re

Oct 17, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
Thanks for the heads up on that. I listened to a few episodes of the Waypoint podcast a while back, and Rob consistently chimed in with well-informed, very carefully articulated points of view, so I'm definitely interested to see what he has to say.

Pulling up the written review now, it's certainly nice to see that he cared enough about the subject of misogyny (and its presence in Kojima's previous games) to address it within his review, and he has some largely encouraging (albeit not uniformly positive) comments in other domains as well:

I'll mention that Rob's praise for the traversal mechanics seems consistent with what John (of Digital Foundry) was saying earlier in the thread, in case anyone tuning into the thread just now missed that discussion:

I was already sold, but this has sold me extra

I love the act of exploring a new world, taking my time (even RP walking) and taking in the sights. I find this to be very zen and relaxing.

This game sounds like it'll mesh well with me

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Giant Bomb's hate for the game makes me want to play so much more then I already did.
Are people actually listening and watching their content on the game or is this just a meme now? A lot of the stuff getting praised by reviewers - the look and atmosphere, the feeling of embarking on a hike, the meditative quality of the quieter moments, the social systems, the progression as new gear comes into play - they all praise as well. Vinny and Alex go out of their way to say they don't hate the game and they want people to play it and experience it regardless.

solidsnakeiv

Dec 28, 2017
I think it's great that it is divisive. HK had to have known that trying something out of the box would draw mixed reviews. I'm definitely there day 1 and I applaud him for not just reskinning for a new MGS-typed themed game that would be a for-sure big time seller.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
It's pretty interesting that the game is still at 84MC, even though it's so divisive. I was hoping Death stranding secretly had amazing stealth/action gameplay.

The negatives, such as incredibly reptitive fetch quests, slow pace make me a bit less excited to play, but I'm still picking this up down the line, even just as a strong curiosity. It still sounds like there's something special at its heart.

Ngl Im thrilled to hear the stealth/combat are largely unimportant. I find those two aspects the least interesting in most 3D action games and I am ready for a truly unique experience to reflect on.

What are you doing in action games without the action? It spunds like you prefer more story focused adventure games? Whoch is totally cool, I'm just confused by your statement.

Oct 25, 2017

I want to say this is a great post and sums up exactly why lots of people are excited for the game and why plenty of positive reviews have given them even more reason to be excited.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
Too me a walking sim is when you literally just walk with no real objective other than to maybe read sheets of paper and look in drawers. I feel like there's more going on here.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
To be honest after watching the Digital Foundry video I'm willing to give this a shot just to see what crazy shit they did with the Decima engine.

Oct 27, 2017
This is pretty dismissive towards some of the criticisms towards this game (even in some positive reviews), but if you want to reduce it down to "Haters just want dumb shootbangs" then don't let me stop you.
It's more like if you buy this game and then complain about it because you're "bored" please don't let the world know. We know this game will be a glorious mess and if you haven't done the research and expect a "Shootbang" that's on you.

It's ok to not like things. Unfortunately people will expect a certain experience from a AAA game and sony will push this game hard for Christmas and the game will leave a lot of people nonplussed and we'll never hear the end of it.