• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 26, 2017
I do have a question, whats the deal with the WW2 trenches shooting gameplay? Everyone is saying the game is only package transport yet i dont see that mentioned anywhere? Is it only like a 10 minute segment?

There's only three of those sections in the game and reviewers are not allowed to talk about them, but the inference is that they don't make up much of the game.

Oct 25, 2017
jeff: "it's like kojima heard a lot of people talking about walking simulators but didn't realize it was a derogatory term and decided to make one".

brutal.
That was indeed funny, but we knew this is what the game was. People kept fooling themselves into believing there would be an MGS2 twist for some reason, but it was very clear that the game was about traversal and equip load. And also Dark Souls online but with objects.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Can I just say how funny it is that when people who criticized vanilla no man's sky and death stranding gameplay pre-release asked "ok but what do you actually DO during the game" and people were like "that's such a dumb question there's a ton of different stuff!"

And then both games released and it turns out, no, there really isn't that much to the gameplay at all.
Well that's not really true did you watch/read reviews? Walking is gamified, you stumble, trip, fall and climb and it's super annoying to some and enjoyable to others. There's a whole lot to the gameplay but folks are saying it's not engaging or it's super addicting based on where you fall.

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 week): ignoring staff post (hostility towards other members) and repeated instances of mod-whining and community bashing across multiple posts and threads
They dodged having a self-indulgent 'artist' waste even more of their money on 40 hour think pieces with bad gameplay.

Oh good. We've established a game with an 84/86 and plenty of 10's factually has bad gameplay.

Hilarious. Hilarious in how fucking stupid that sounds.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That was indeed funny, but we knew this is what the game was. People kept fooling themselves into believing there would be an MGS2 twist for some reason, but it was very clear that the game was about traversal and equip load. And also Dark Souls online but with objects.
i agree. i think you can't really fault sony or kojima here for misrepresenting the game. from the very beginning it was clear what the game was. it's just that people were (for some reason) expecting some out of the left field major twist and shift in gameplay.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Checking after a few hours here... Seems its getting crazier than it was when reviews started coming. Dayum

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Well that's not really true did you watch/read reviews? Walking is the gamified, you stumble, trip, fall and climb and it's super annoying to some and enjoyable to others. There's a whole lot to the gameplay but folks are saying it's not engaging or it's super addicting based on where you fall.
I did. I'm saying pre-release people assumed there was more to the gameplay then just walking around for 40 hours. There is not.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
Not a single mention of HADES gameplay. I'm not sure what sort of reviews we are getting? Is it limited to what they can write about?

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (3 days): trolling, ignoring staff post
Oh good. We've established a game with an 84/86 and plenty of 10's factually has bad gameplay.

Ah yes, the metacritic is the be all and end all of what is determined to be good or not. Not the plenty of people reviewing the game who were bored to tears by it.

Keep it up bro, Koji will notice you one day

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
I hope everyone knows this is still getting nommed at TGA. The reviews are good enough and it'd be a terrible look for the industry to not nominate something so risk taking and still generally considered great. Hopefully it can pull out the win
Kojima is highly creative and has balls the size of the moon for creating such unique experience in the AAA space. The 10s and 9s are deserved
Have either of you even played the game....?

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017
People are trying to do mental gynmastics to explain how the game has a high score when it really shouldn't.

There is also people trying to discredit low scoring reviews because they wanted the game to be 90+...Even though 84 is good.

But yeah, you can see some people exclusively focusing on the negative commentary/reactions reviews while ignoring the reality of the Metacritic and Opencritic scores. Because they wanted it to be bad, it makes them feel good to select the negative reactions as it reinforces their own desires.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like every frustrating gameplay trope is at play here, rolled up into one obnoxious package. I'm impressed and appalled at the same time. I guess that works for some folks though, some really good scores even if the reviews don't read like it.

"Downplay" seems rather reductive. Just because something annoys one person doesn't mean it's disruptive enough to another person. The tedium is a deliberative aspect of the game.

"I may be having the worst time of my life trying to play this game, but that's the whole point." 9.5/10

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
From what i could gather: The reviews from 3 to 6 are from reviewers that don't seem to have bothered to finish the game and the 10 to 8 scores from people that actually did their jobs?
Not all games need to show us their full scopes in the first few hours or be about shooting down the bad guys with action setpieces in the middle.

Sounds to me this game is just separating the good reviewers from people that don't do their jobs right. A little rough to say but it's what i gathered from reading like 5 or 6 reviews.

Maybe you should have done your job and read all the reviews.

More on topic. Good Metacritic overall in the end. Same as Gears 5.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Man, just getting around to listening to the Giant Beastcast and geez they're ripping this game APART lol, yikes. And I get a lot of their points, to be fair.

More on topic. Good Metacritic overall in the end. Same as Gears 5.

EISNSQJWoAAHjqY

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think im just gonna stick with it and not cancel the preorder. Saw the DF video and that turned me around a bit. I mean, i am someone that will just wander for hours in no mans sky and enjoy it. I just hope the gameplay here is more 'well you just go from point a to point b while playing a walking physics puzzle' and not 'you will want to punch a hole in your tv because the game hates you.' If it's that 2nd thing, you're gonna se a lot of angry gamers.
There was a countdown stream for the launch trailer that included music from the game and it was unanimously lauded over in the thread. Then they released the beautiful BB's Theme

a 29 track score is available for preload on Apple Music and Spotify too.

I think everything we've heard from the game sounds amazing so far. Which is great because although MGSV has some standout tape tracks, the overall score didn't resonate as much with me.

Huh i didnt know that song was made for the game i thought it was licensed. The ambient soundtrack also sounds right up my alley, and the soundtrack choices as well.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

people are allowed to also reference the text in the reviews and talk about that. the game having a high metascore doesn't invalidate all criticism. the text in many reviews criticizes gameplay.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
yeah i thought the world was kind of like an obstacle course. it's "empty" if what you're looking for is lots of quest-givers, but it's full of obstacles that are enjoyable to traverse. i was never bored by it. there were frustrating moments, but not boring ones.

Thanks for the insight. That honestly sounds great and right up my alley.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Some of ya'll calling it a walking simulator willingly played and enjoyed multiple Assassin's Creed titles and need to step back and reflect a bit before you judge anyone else's taste

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I think im just gonna stick with it and not cancel the preorder. Saw the DF video and that turned me around a bit. I mean, i am someone that will just wander for hours in no mans sky and enjoy it. I just hope the gameplay here is more 'well you just go from point a to point b while playing a walking physics puzzle' and not 'you will want to punch a hole in your tv because the game hates you.' If it's that 2nd thing, you're gonna se a lot of angry gamers.

Huh i didnt know that song was made for the game i thought it was licensed. The ambient soundtrack also sounds right up my alley, and the soundtrack choices as well.
Yeah, the songs played in the first trailers were licensed, but this one is original

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
It reminds me of big budget QWOP except not as fun

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, the metacritic is the be all and end all of what is determined to be good or not. Not the plenty of people reviewing the game who were bored to tears by it.

Keep it up bro, Koji will notice you one day

So let me get this straight. Metacritic isn't a good judgment for the games quality.

However, reviewers are. But you also ignore all the reviewers that are praising the game and have given it 9+?

Keep it up buddy. Maybe you'll realize how stupid you sound eventually.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
They dodged having a self-indulgent 'artist' waste even more of their money on 40 hour think pieces with bad gameplay.
And yet it'll make 2-3x of the budget easily in the first month and go on to make even more after pc release. Calm calm no need to be jealous of someone who made something that can be appreciated, talked about and will be financially quite successful.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
It's like I said. The obsession with meta scoring is the death of discourse. People don't care about the content of the reviews, just having numbers to confirm their preconceptions.

There's some genuine concern and discussion going on here. I contributed to it. But people are saturating the thread with meta discussion about Anne Frank and the "can't do this" and the cranky OP posts and other clutter, magnifying the drama, instead of just letting it fall by the wayside so real discussion can happen. In reality most of the posts complaining that the thread is crazy are just magnifying the craziness of a slim picking of posts. Just talk about the game instead of all this meta shit.

I just read the whole CNET review and it was very enlightening that it was written by a bit MGS fan. It sounds like the experience was so hypnotizing he actually started to enjoy the tedium of the game because it was so investing. But the first 10 hours sound drab as hell. I don't think I can handle that kind of slow burn these days.

Deleted member 54292

Banned
Feb 27, 2019
man, I was stanning for this site a few weeks ago, but reading this thread... fucking yikes at some of yall. embarrassing.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Some of ya'll calling it a walking simulator willingly played and enjoyed multiple Assassin's Creed titles and need to step back and reflect a bit before you judge anyone else's taste
Assassins creed allowed the player to do whatever they wanted for the most part. If you wanted to just go around killing folks you could. You can do that here.