• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
listening to this currently. the part about the game assuming the player is an idiot and explains every single metaphor and character and name sounds beyond exhausting.
furthermore, why is something like that in an "auteur non-mainstream" game in the first place

also that stevior quote about it being so far up its own ass it has 4 title screens and 2 credit rolls... yeah basically what I was afraid of

coconut gun

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Did you not have to read The Diary of Anne Frank in school? Not exactly an enjoyable book but it is worth reading. So it is possible for someone to want to consume content that is not enjoyable to widen their world view. I'm not saying that this is worth it because I haven't played it but it's within the realm of possibility for video games to get there.

what would the diary of anne frank score on metacritic tho

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Honestly, reading the reviews is only making the game sound right up my alley. I want a relaxing game about traversing quiet and breathtakingly beautiful environments with mechanics focused on said traversal.

If anything, the parts that sound bothersome are the fucking BT encounters and the boss fights that ensue if you get caught. I still don't understand how you're supposed to avoid BTs if you can barely see them or even know their very approximate position due to the detector thingy, don't know their line of sight etc etc.

I'd also love to know if there's a way to escape the bossfights altogether. If anything sounds like a slog, it's those.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Almost none of the glowing reviews are from games journalists that I'm familiar with and who are regularly mentioned on this board.

Pretty telling that most of the respected games journalists are pretty sour on the game, and it's a good thing for Death Stranding's MC score that many of those reviews are unscored.

infinitebento

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
so much has happened in this thread that that barely registered with me

it's 4am and i'm only reading this thread because i can't sleep but it's making me crazy

I read it then had to do a double take lmfao

anne frank got brought up..? we deserve to be mocked

Its getting buried in the thick of it but search for it. The posts are gold.

No no noooooo the person said "can't do it," with no *I*. That makes it all the better. LOL

*edits* it is so much better without the "i" hahahahahahah

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
If you respect games as art, then you can't treat them like products when it comes to reviews.
I also respect music, books and films as art, but would you want someone claiming to review any of those without having seen and or heard all they consist of? I am gladly taking opinions, previews, whatever form of writing you want as long as it specifies that the overview is incomplete. I really am focusing in on that one word, review and I think it's more than reasonable to expect that if you recommend a product or not and call it a review, maybe give it a score, you are familiar with all its facettes, cause after all a review is there to help consumers with their buying decision, it implies and in my opinion requires that complete familiarity. I've said this before, but if we flip this on its ear you might buy a game from your money, enjoy it for some amount of time, then it turns out the developers ran out of steam, half the game is crap. The reviewer was like 10 out of 10 (hours played of this rpg, syke!), it's not professional. Play the thing, exhaust it as much as you can, then write a review.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Almost none of the glowing reviews are from games journalists that I'm familiar with and who are regularly mentioned on this board.

Pretty telling that most of the respected games journalists are pretty sour on the game, and it's a good thing for Death Stranding's MC score that many of those reviews are unscored.

Yeah, this post is on point.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
anne frank got brought up..? we deserve to be mocked
Schindler's list too. I'd be worried someone might bring up other movies involving Nazis like Inglorious Bastards but that movies actually fun, so it wouldn't fit their comparisons

I´ve also read comparisons to:

-The Godfather
-The Shining
-Blade Runner
-The Last of Us
Obviously when becoming the new Citizen Kane of gaming, you must dethrone the old Citizen Kane of gaming:lmao

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Stretched over 40 hours, this does not sound fun to me at all:

'Sam has to stay balanced in order to keep his precious cargo safe. You do this by adjusting straps on your back. The trigger buttons on the PS4 controller handle each side, so if Sam starts tipping to the left, you hit the left trigger and he tightens up his backpack to keep steady. Essentially, this means that while all you're really doing is walking, you need to stay intently focused. One small slip, and your cargo can be ruined. At times, Death Stranding can feel like a big-budget remake of QWOP. Other times, it's achingly beautiful as you stumble through a ruined landscape while ambient rock plays in the background. "

The Verge
Honestly this game sounds so self serving and pretentious, while very tedious to play

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
furthermore, why is something like that in an "auteur non-mainstream" game in the first place

also that stevior quote about it being so far up its own ass it has 4 title screens and 2 credit rolls... yeah basically what I was afraid of
it just sounds like something that got made by someone having "too much" freedom, and no one to ever tell him something might be better if done in another way. maybe some people shouldn't be given full creative control over such an expensive project. it sounds far too self-indulgent and up its own ass.

Why tho... Kojima's writing used to be excellent in most MGS titles (even recent ones like MGSV). This is so weird.
they're so weirded out by the story and writing. this isn't the normal kojima-isms, it's on another level of being obnoxious and convoluted for the sake of being convoluted

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I truly, truly believe this. The way some reviews are trying to justify the "intentional" tedium is crazy.

It seems like so many reviews are trying so hard to let the "community" mechanic overshadow all the bad/tedious aspects of the game. That's one mechanic.

Or, what is tedious to you may not be as tedious to others. This distinction should clear by now, else games like RDR2 (tens of hours worth of horse riding), BotW, Skyrim, What Remains of Edith Finch etc (countless hours of walking and/or climbing), wouldn't have reviewed as well as they did.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
User warned: hostility against another member
Not when vestan is in charge of updating the OP for some reason
god you're insufferable. if you've got something to say about me just fucking say it instead of finding an excuse to whine about me every other post you obsessed cretin. I've never blocked a user on any platform until now. Kindly fuck off.

Yo vestan any chance you working your magic again to turn that Sam art into a avatar I can use? 😁

Also I kinda browsed around but didn't really read any of the reviews. The one Japanese one caught my interest and the detail about the player builds....like holy shit Kojima wasn't kidding.
Whatever man. I'm not doing any more of these.

olidSK3.png

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
I left for work on page 33, now its 122! Holy mother of God!!

A mid 80 average is a fantastic score! I can't wait for next week. The world, and the pacing of the game looks EXACTLY what i need in my life about now.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I also respect music, books and films as art, but would you want someone claiming to review any of those without having seen and or heard all they consist of? I am gladly taking opinions, previews, whatever form of writing you want as long as it specifies that the overview is incomplete. I really am focusing in on that one word, review and I think it's more than reasonable to expect that if you recommend a product or not and call it a review, maybe give it a score, you are familiar with all its facettes, cause after all a review is there to help consumers with their buying decision, it implies and in my opinion requires that complete familiarity. I've said this before, but if we flip this on its ear you might buy a game from your money, enjoy it for some amount of time, then it turns out the developers ran out of steam, half the game is crap. The reviewer was like 10 out of 10 (hours played of this rpg, syke!), it's not professional. Play the thing, exhaust it as much as you can, then write a review.
They aren't calling it a review man. The EDGE guy who played the game played for 40 hours and will publish impressions, but not anything called Review or with any score.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
This became painfully obvious as soon as the balancing gameplay went public.
No one wants to relearn how to walk in a video game.
As a person that actually had to relearn how to walk, it is more interesting irl than you think. You improvise on things that can help you where as a baby wouldn't. Everything is a puzzle, and fits for a game actually now that I think about it.

What's is that game where the guy had to learn to use his motor skills, or something like that burnt toast game?
(googles)
Manual Samuel

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, and that was just a few minutes. Imagine doing this for dozens of hours.
A few people responded saying that you don't have to travel that way, with one person insinuating they're stupid for not using vehicles. Okay, so if that person instead traveled with vehicles, what point is the open-world if it's uninteresting to travel by foot? I don't get it.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Or, what is tedious to you may not be as tedious to others. That much should be abundantly clear by now, else games like RDR2, BotW, Skyrim, What Remains of Edith Finch etc, wouldn't have reviewed as well as they did.
No, the reviews do indeed say it's tedious/monotonous/etc...

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Yeah, and that was just a few minutes. Imagine doing this for dozens of hours.
People also seem to miss that movies that are "hard to watch" like Schindler's list are at most ~3 hours long and have plenty of dialog or cinematography to make it varied. Walking for hours in a completely empty world is not a good comparison.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MGSV's writing was pretty damn bad, honestly. It had a couple of good moments, like Huey's unflinching, set-your-watch-to-it hypocrisy, but a lot of it was real dumb.

I'll disagree, the inner conflict of Kaz about what to do with his own independent army was really good. It's mostly done through the tapes tho.
Same for Skull face's monologues with Big Boss.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
god you're insufferable. if you've got something to say about me just fucking say it instead of finding an excuse to whine about me every other post you obsessed cretin.
dude, this is NOT ok. why are you insulting him? he's just asking why there's no link to the opencritic page in a review thread. that's a perfectly valid question. jesus.

Last edited:

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, the reviews do indeed say it's tedious/monotonous/etc...

Some reviews do, some reviews say it can on occasion feel tedious or monotonous, other reviews say they enjoyed it from beginning to end. I don't know if it's confirmation bias or what, but it's like some of you are being intentionally obtuse about the games reception.

Oct 25, 2017
god you're insufferable. if you've got something to say about me just fucking say it instead of finding an excuse to whine about me every other post you obsessed cretin. I've never blocked a user on any platform until now. Kindly fuck off.

Whatever man. I'm not doing any more of these.

olidSK3.png

Plenty of folks got agenda's are now being aimed squarely at you. Block and move on.

This thread is unsalvageable.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
A few people responded saying that you don't have to travel that way, with one person insinuating they're stupid for not using vehicles. Okay, so if that person instead traveled with vehicles, what point is the open-world if it's uninteresting to travel by foot? I don't get it.

The thing is, vehicles are a viable option when you happen to have extensive roads like in this clip. But you often don't. When there are cliffs, mountains, rivers, etc. You're back to walking through an even longer glorified loading screen. Hell, some loading screens give you more entertaining things to do