• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
I mean, sounds like the critic is winning and you're losing to be honest. He just gets to move on with his life continuing to not giving a fuck about the opinion of someone who hasn't played the game yet.

If their outlet is not telling them to finish it, and it is so boring/lame/shit that you don't want to finish it, then why should you continue? I'm sure he spent a decent amount of time with the game to get the idea -- certainly doesn't feel like a typical Era BOTW hate thread where the OP opens with "I've only played a couple of hours but..."

I agree - sorry I was characterizing a few of the posts seen in this thread.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I'm very much looking forward to listening to the 1 hour Kotaku review on my lunch break. Tim never disappoints.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
Well too be fair Demons Souls was the bad Souls games and they later praised the Dark Souls games, which were the good Souls games. Along with Bloodborne, of course.
Could you needlessly badify another couple beloved game so we get some more positivity in this thread of people defending their darlings?

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
So line of thinking and trend i keep reading is...it seems to me Death Stranding is important because it was allowed to be made...but that's about it. Let's see if other publishers take risks like this in the future.
[

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Stretched over 40 hours, this does not sound fun to me at all:

'Sam has to stay balanced in order to keep his precious cargo safe. You do this by adjusting straps on your back. The trigger buttons on the PS4 controller handle each side, so if Sam starts tipping to the left, you hit the left trigger and he tightens up his backpack to keep steady. Essentially, this means that while all you're really doing is walking, you need to stay intently focused. One small slip, and your cargo can be ruined. At times, Death Stranding can feel like a big-budget remake of QWOP. Other times, it's achingly beautiful as you stumble through a ruined landscape while ambient rock plays in the background. "

The Verge
Hahahahah omg.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The hilarious part of all this is that a lot of the people complaining about this are the same people screaming about metacritic scores.

Do they want a 1/10 on the Metascore? I thought the most important part was aggregate review score averages divorced from any and all content! That's why we play games, right? So we can buy the things with the biggest numbers?
I think some people just want to upset themselves. Had he reviewed whatever amount he played and attached a score, people would be even more incensed.

The guy offered no review of any sort and even that wasn't enough! "Shut the hell up and play the entire game and give us a score we're going to chastise you for" is all I see. It isn't enough that he refrained from offering a formal written opinion on it. haha

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I've watched some reviews but didn't get anything specific on world size. Do any review go into detail about it? I just want to have an idea on how big of a world we're dealing here.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Let's get a list down, so far people have tried to justify the boring gameplay by comparing it to :

-Citizen Kane
-Schindler's list
-The Diary of Ann Frank

What else did I miss?

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
I've got a job that's a slog a lot of the time. Unfortunately I'm not allowed to just not do it and still get paid for it.
I've got a job as well that demands ROI, if a task is not a meaningful use of time and preventing me from doing other tasks that deliver better value to the business, I move on.

EDGE got a 4 page partial review and traffic for their site. If they provided a score, it would have made zero difference to their revenue.

danrbg

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
Criticisms are bad (even in reviews with high scores).

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, good i picked up enough Doritos today. This thread delivers. I'm honestly surprised to read so many reviewers down with the game (i mean i expected to be divisive after tgs showings, but did not expected reviews to call it). Even the Easy Allies (8) sounds more like 6 at best. Numerous others are similar.

I had to have a laugh at this sequence... Yeah this isn't for me

lmao do i need to play the game while i'm high? I think this will be the only way i would have fun with this. Glad this game exist, even if i'm still shocked what direction Kojima went after MGS and incredible P.T. demo.

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So the game is 30-40 hours if you mainly focus on actually completing tasks to further progress the story? I'm not sure if I will buy the game if it's 60 hours of being Postman Pat.

gutterboy44

Oct 27, 2017
NY
I think I am going to end up picking up this game for the opposite reason I originally thought. I figured I would just deal with whatever nonsense gameplay they throw at you and play the game to experience the cutscene/story insanity but all this Eurotruck Simulator talk and kind of just some good mindless grinding via deliveries has me a lot more interested. Seems to be the big put off for many, but is actually some chill gameplay I like. I love Truck Simulator and Spintires when I just want to be in a zone and feel the satisfaction of traversing a distance and accomplishing a menial task. Huh, did not expect this out come. Either way, I guess I am sold.

The review scores could not be more meaningless for this game. For well over a year now, it has been clear that this game was going incredibly divisive. The only service a review could provide would be if it some how launch utterly broken but that doesn't seem to be the case. I expected nothing less than the full specturm of scores. It was the safest bet ever. And now to wait for launch and get in on this madness!

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
So line of thinking and trend i keep reading is...it seems to me Death Stranding is important because it was allowed to be made...but that's about it. Let's see if other publishers take risks like this in the future.
[

Ha...hahahaha

Not unless they have a Kojima esque name attached to it. And how many of those are there in the industry?

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
LMAO Jeff Gerstmann comparing the subtlety of this game to "Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood"

aSqueakyLime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
England
unknown.png

🤔
I see nothing wrong here

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
We should count ourselves as lucky that games like this still come out. Games that can be awful or GOTY depending on the person, that are going to cause tons of mad people in every thread, etc etc. This is the type of game this site needs to keep going haha.

lmao agreed! Spices things up a bit :D I can imagine this game being brought up in many debates for many years to come

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I'm out.
I said I would wait for reviews and I did.
I think the CNET review was the most helpful for me. Reviewer is a devout Kojima follower and Death Stranding didn't work for them at all.

CNET

this review is confirming my fears hard. I think I'm gonna cancel my preorder today. Such a bummer. the older I get, the less tolerance I have for weird self-important games that aren't immediately fun or entertaining (which is why I'm enjoying LM3 right now). I loved MGSV but the gameplay loop there was spectacular. I don't see the same potential here. Just too bad.

PapaDev

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand. I see a lot of great reviews, a couple of good-to-medium ones and one that's very low. The anger / doubts expressed by some is weird to me.

I wasted money on (much) worst things in life.

The Digital Foundry review convinced me to purchase it.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Stretched over 40 hours, this does not sound fun to me at all:

'Sam has to stay balanced in order to keep his precious cargo safe. You do this by adjusting straps on your back. The trigger buttons on the PS4 controller handle each side, so if Sam starts tipping to the left, you hit the left trigger and he tightens up his backpack to keep steady. Essentially, this means that while all you're really doing is walking, you need to stay intently focused. One small slip, and your cargo can be ruined. At times, Death Stranding can feel like a big-budget remake of QWOP. Other times, it's achingly beautiful as you stumble through a ruined landscape while ambient rock plays in the background. "

The Verge
This became painfully obvious as soon as the balancing gameplay went public.
No one wants to relearn how to walk in a video game.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's also really annoying that others are telling people how to do their jobs. In any other thread about any other profession, people would be livid at the insinuation. lol

At the end of the day we're talking about video game reviews of all fucking things and people taking this shit so seriously is something else.

They wouldn't say that if the reviewers they're fuming against was praising the game instead. It's always the same in review threads.

LocoRoco

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
the DF video is so good.

Reading the analysis and reviews I came to the conclusion that this game is almost a shadow of the colossus in its essence. The world is empty and dark, there are not many enemies, if you do not take care of your staminia ( Weight in this game ) can have problems, amazing soundtrack.

It will probably be considered a classic just as SOTC is today, it's not a game for everyone.

Last edited:

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
Let's get a list down, so far people have tried to justify the boring gameplay by comparing it to :

-Citizen Kane
-Schindler's list
-The Diary of Ann Frank

What else did I miss?
I´ve also read comparisons to:

-The Godfather
-The Shining
-Blade Runner
-The Last of Us

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Remove Kojima from this game and the reviews read as a 6/10 game.
I truly, truly believe this. The way some reviews are trying to justify the "intentional" tedium is crazy.

It seems like so many reviews are trying so hard to let the "community" mechanic overshadow all the bad/tedious aspects of the game. That's one mechanic.

Lame compared to previous Kojima bosses. That was a bummer for me to find out.
Nothing memorable and made ridiculously easy thanks to the community aspect. Also if you get hit while fighting something you have to run around and pick up everything you dropped after the fight.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I respect that, if u play hope u love it! :D
Thanks :) I havnt decided yet if i'm going to buy Death Stranding or not. And just to point out, i dont mind that people use reviews for gaming purchase decisions, not at all. I just wanted to say that for me, it can be difficult to choose if one reviewer gives a very different opinion than another reviewer, since i dont know whats right when it comes to my taste.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I'm still no closer to reaching a decision re: picking it up Day 1 on PS4, waiting for PC, or waiting for a sale on PC

I find my game opinions matching up with Jeff Gerstmann's a lot of the time, and he seems really sour on it