• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
This is a weird statement. I'm assuming that, as a whole, you didn't enjoy BotW then because the free gameplay loop is basically most of the game and it was what made it great.
what I always praise about BOTW was that the game design allowed so much freedom, that it allowed me to not play the game. The combat was easily one of the worst I've played this gen, but the game design allowed me to skip all combat except for obligatory bossfights. So my biggest praise of the game is that I was allowed to avoid playing big parts of the game lol. Weapon degradation sucks, traversal was fun and non-Gyro puzzles were great.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's because the people who are skeptical/down on the game are reading the actual text & impressions instead of just looking at the numbers.
Again, it's not about the MC score, but actually reading through the reviews/impressions. It's impressively divisive and polarizing.

As someone who's read or watched over a dozen reviews now, I don't think this is the case. I'd argue it's more an instance of certain posters focusing on more of the negative reviews, or more negative points in general. Eg they'll ignore masses of positive reviews and impressions, and hone in on predominantly the negative, which gives this skewed narrative that the game is highly divisive, when actually on the whole it isn't.

Simply put, you don't get an 84 meta without most of the review content matching that positive score aggregate.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even at its worst it's a frigging walking simulator, being unable to finish a 30-40 hour game when you are paid to tell people about it screams first world problems on the highest order to me.

I can understand if it wasn't his full time occupation he had to do other stuff but in this case it really Is his job. I wish I could just tell people to bugger off if I didn't want to fix their crap but that's not how it works out here in real life.

The fact that other people have very clearly done so while hating the game makes me think much higher of the reviewers and their reviews and much lower of this guy and his "non-review"
You're creating a first-world problem of your own when talking about finishing a video game of all things. Get a grip.
Also stop speaking for someone else as if you can dictate what a person should be doing as part of their job.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I actually think it's the exact opposite. There's less hype around DS than any of those titles because it's such a niche release from an auteur. It's like saying a Tarantino film is a big, mainstream release when in fact the only people going to see his films are people who already love his past movies. I don't know anyone who plays Kojima games or watches Tarantino aisde from myself.
What?
There is an OP here that is hundreds of pages long.
Less hype around Death Stranding is honestly, not correct.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a good score overall.

And yeah, the diveristy in some of the review scores shows that reviews are pretty much just subjective things. Looking at the list in the OP, one reviewer gave it 10/10 while another game it 3/10. This is why i basically never let game reviews decide if i'm going to get a game or not, because the reviewer's opinion might be very different from what my opinion is. I dont mind people doing reviews of course.

SoraanTribal

Oct 27, 2017
Some of these reviews definitely line up with my feelings about the game after some of the trailers and previews. I'm hesitant about getting it. If the story is actually good, I might can suffer through some boring gameplay sections, though. I might just Redbox it and see if it's something I could get into.

Deleted member 2379

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What im not getting is the ones considered positive are sharing the same sentiments with the ones that were negative and actively hated it. Most of the reviews seem to be on the same page that the game feels like a major chore. Its everyone twisting themselves into pretzels now as to why 10+ hours of slog is a 'good' thing. Im all for experiences but, you know usually when you see an uncomfortable film or something, it ends in 2 hours and let's you reflect. When a game is asking you be active in it for a long time, the willpower to keep going is what gets drained. I can see why Edge said they arent gonna bother finishing it because of the rules around the embargo.

That was the complaint from some. Language in reviews not lining up with their final scores. The monotony is real andboring. Everyone says that.

how you react to it is up to you

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
How are there so many posts indicating this is some sort of disaster, like that it's actively terrible?

Gears5 - 84 - incredible, one of the best of the year. Ms should be proud of one of their best games in a long time.
Outer world- 85 - incredible, one of the best games of the year. Obsidian may have surpassed bathesda.
Death standing - 86 - look at the bad reviews!! Feel sorry for those whose will play this. Kojima was always a fraud.

FWIW, there were certainly certain people trying to shit on Gears 5 for not reaching 90+ as well. Kinda ironic that DS would get the same score and see such different responses from the same individuals. Weird how people attach their own self-worth to a game dev they worship for some reason. Some people will either hate on, or stan for, a game theyve decided they already hate/love before even playing it, then criticize reviewers for their opinions. Mid 80s is a good score, at the end of the day buy what you like, fuck the hype.

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018
It's because this 84 is not an average of 7,8 and 9s. It's an average of 3s and 10s. It's a highly divisive game and people are wary of who to trust. Personally I'll wait till it's a bit cheaper(or on PS+) and I'll see for myself then.

Except there is like only one review that is a 3. Lots of 10s, some 9s/8s, then 7s/6s are the more controversial reviews that drag it down. It's not like it got 40 10s and 10 3s

This post breaks down the number of reviews in each range. Most are 9/8. There are 4 in the 6 range and 1 in the 3 range. Everything else is 7+

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is pure insanity.
Apparently 86 is bad.
The 10s should have been 7s cause it looks boring.
Player not using a bike and instead walking for minutes is bad design instead of just a stupid decision of said player.

Jesus Christ,we will remember the 1st of November 2019 for years to come.
Let's be honest, this site, a lot of times, is a cesspit. So many people with agendas, preconceived notions and lots of really childish folks. We'd probably be better off if review threads were banned. Brings out the worst in Era for sure.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
How are there so many posts indicating this is some sort of disaster, like that it's actively terrible?

Gears5 - 84 - incredible, one of the best of the year. Ms should be proud of one of their best games in a long time.
Outer world- 85 - incredible, one of the best games of the year. Obsidian may have surpassed bathesda.
Death standing - 86 - look at the bad reviews!! Feel sorry for those whose will play this. Kojima was always a fraud.
DS doesn't follow a formula, being a new type of game there are bound to be some naysayers.

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Seriously can't believe we're batting for IGN now of all people.

And also can't believe people are defending that edge guy for not finishing the game when it's his job to do so. At the very least he could review what he's done up until that point. Does he also not finish games that he would score lower than
a 5?

its embarrassing all around.

1. It is up to his employer to decided what is required from him as far as his job is concerned.
2. He is not allowed to review the game because the embargo states that he must finish it first.
3. They are still publishing a 4 page piece about the game based on his time with the game they are just calling it a preview and not putting a score on it.

malcolmx

Banned
May 20, 2018
86 it's quite good imo.

It's a game that doesn't have the MGS pedigree, and it means that Kojima didn't played it safe, which it was what people wanted, right? I'm still looking forward to play it

I think the Metacritic doesn't reflect the game. Ppl are posts 9/10 out of 10 while agreeing with the reasons behind 3/10.

People scored it higher because of the name & cast. This is maybe a 78 Metacritic realistically.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thats a good way to look at it. Problem is, once something becomes obscure or abstract enough, a lot of insufferable people start coming out of the woodwork, playing hide the ball in the margins by making regressive arguments about its so called brilliance, and how people "who dont get it" simply arent sophisticated enough to get it. It becomes self fulfilling. The art community is full of these types unfortunately. Just a few pages back there was a poster claiming that you needed a litterature degree or a degree in film studies to properly critique Kojimas work.
Lmao really? Sigh.

Yeah, it's definitely a problem, and after all of the gameplay previews and reading some of these reviews, it's not really surprising.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited for a big weird game that doesn't play for the typical aims of being "fun" or "satisfying". My main concern at this point is the length sounds like it may too long to express what it's trying without becoming frustrating (especially since I don't have the time I used to)

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
this is a meaningless metric to measure the amount of overall hype for a game. you're conflating your personal interests with that of.................... everyone else

It's a specific response to someone who didn't think DS is from an auteur and would appeal to a specific audience. ERA is not a good metric of "everyone else."

malcolmx

Banned
May 20, 2018

And yeah, the diveristy in some of the review scores shows that reviews are pretty much just subjective things. Looking at the list in the OP, one reviewer gave it 10/10 while another game it 3/10. This is why i basically never let game reviews decide if i'm going to get a game or not, because the reviewer's opinion might be very different from what my opinion is. I dont mind people doing reviews of course.

Read both reviews and you'll notice overlapping and GLARING complaints.

LocoRoco

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Apparently 86 is bad.
Player not using a bike and instead walking for minutes is bad design instead of just a stupid decision of said player.

80 - 90 is the new bad
91 - 95 is mediocre
96 - 98 is good
99 - 99.9 is excellent
100 - is must buy

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Trolling, ignoring the staff post

its because gears and obsidians games arent generally overrated to high hell

fade

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see any parallels with the two.

Anyways, my curiosity is getting the best of me, I think I'll get this at launch just for the fuck of it.

Just in the aspect that they circumvent expectations. In Kojima's case what a game should be ("Why is there 30 min of codec audio I bough this to play a game!", Bladerunner what a sci-fi movie should be ("Everytime I watch Bladerunner I fall asleep!"). I guess in both cases people complain there's not enough action or the plot doesn't hold your hand etc but on the flipside people call them masterpieces.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It's a specific response to someone who didn't think DS is from an auteur and would appeal to a specific audience.
but in this case the specific audience is just you? the overall interest level in death stranding has been a lot higher than either of those games. kojima has always been an "auteur" video game director whose games have sold to a wide audience. there's no basis for what you're saying

your tarrantino comparison is also flawed considering his last movie made $370+ million dollars. it seems your just basing your opinions on how you think authorship works and not how it's actually working

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently 86 is bad.

You forgot not finishing a game you're supposed to review and put a score on should be totally fine. Apparently if you get your game reviewed on Edge the latter half could be a completely broken mess of crap, but it's not the reviewers job to tell you about it if he didn't feel like playing through it.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I think the Metacritic doesn't reflect the game. Ppl are posts 9/10 out of 10 while agreeing with the reasons behind 3/10.

People scored it higher because of the name & cast. This is maybe a 78 Metacritic realistically.

Not to what I've been seeing.... it's more that there is praise for doing something new, some say that it's too long like Alien Isolation.

Like Alien Isolation

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
84 is pretty decent. i thought it was going to completely bomb. it seems the game has some redeeming value which is what i figured this entire time. i hate walking simulators but even the much maligned TGS gameplay demo had several great gameplay bits.

It's definitely going to be yet another disappointing game from Kojima, but i really dont think people need to react like this when a game gets an 84. TLG got an 82 average and its one of the best games of all time. some people simply have different threshold for what they are willing to put up with. Controls and camera a little off in TLG? 82. Same issues in RDR2? 98.

p.s i think both games are masterpieces but critics have always been inconsistent when it comes to reviewing big games. most likely because its not the same person reviewing every game. which just makes it even more inconsistent.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
I rather play a divisive game instead of another typical open world game with the same mechanics and a map full of quests Ubi style.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting reviews. This is certainly not on the level of The Order 1886 level of disbelief, but it sure did bring out 118 pages of Era chaos. For an 84 MC game, I wonder how much the budget was for this game? Around 80 mil, maybe?

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Well I guess I have some crows to eat, I was so sure critics would massively love it.
Gameplay seems to be the weakest part of the game, it's really a trend as of late. But if you're onto Kojima stuff I'm sure you'll love this game.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Don't agree with this. Read the actual reviews and don't just glance at the numbers. All of these reviews describe what it's like to play the game.

It's not like a review from IGN tackles the narrative only and an Edge review provides an overview of gameplay - they all go through and review the same shit across the board. The opinion that dictates their scores is how satisfying these elements are. That's why there are scores low, middle and high for this game - the very things they recognize as existing are not uniformly fun for all of them.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Pretty hyped for balancing cargo and navigating terrain.

I see slog thrown around, but I find myself enjoying exploring environments so we'll see if it'll resonant with me. I know it doesn't look "action packed" but it does seem evocative and potentially some interesting problem solving skills to me.

Am disappointed to hear Kojima is pretty heavy handed and clumsy with the writing. But like MGS2 there's still great moments, and I'm hoping DS has some.