• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
I don't get the "it was always going to be polarising" comments. The game has an 85 Metacritic for crying out loud. A "polarising" game would have a 50 or 60 MC score lol...
No it wouldn't... 50 or 60 would mean consensus that it was garbage.

100's and 60 and 70's shockingly middle out to... 85.

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017
People trying to discredit low scoring reviews because they want the game to be rated higher.

People trying to discredit high scoring reviews beause they want the game to be rated lower.

Thinly veiled fanboyism in full force.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
These reviews are very diverse in score but the bad score reviews say things that are enough to make me cancel my preorder. It sounds like my fears were realized, that despite whatever good narrative Kojima can cook up, the gameplay loop is boring and way up its own ass (waiting for a real life timer to count down for 3 minutes? What?)

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
After watching Easy Allies's review, i am def getting this game. no matter the criticism, i am still super interested because Sony and Kojima Productions are putting a AAA product out there that is COMPLETELY unique - and that should be celebrate and supported. not judging anyone who doesn't agree or anything but this is just coming from someone who has grown tired of the constant sameness of CODs, Ubisoft games, etc.

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
This kind of thing sounds like my reaction to Sekiro. I never put that game down feeling "FUCK YEAH", I always put it down feeling "Fuck I'm exhausted."

People love the shit out of that game but it drained me so badly and I never felt satisfied or entertained while playing it, it was like being tied to a chair and beaten up by mobsters. The only release I ever got was when it was over.

I'm with you 100%. I fought Genichiro for four hours, and finally beat him without taking damage once. It was amazing. The next area I went to was a poison cave and crazy old women with shotguns that decimated me from across the map. After the Genichiro fight, all I could do was just throw my hands up in the air and turn the PS4 off because I just wasn't fucking dealing with any more shit from that game. Haven't touched it since, and I'm the type of person that put 500 hours into Bloodborne and even more into the various Souls games.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017

This is the kind of thing I was sort of expecting my opinion on the game to be. I will absolutely check this out at some point just because a lot of things about this game seem incredibly fascinating, but I don't think it's something that I would necessarily enjoy playing.

That concerns me a bit. The tediousness and some of the other frustrating elements that others are describing are making me just want to wait for a price drop. I'm a Kojima fan who has never missed a launch for his Metal Gear games, but this just sounds like a good $30 title that I wouldn't regret too much at that price point.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Watched/Read a couple of reviews. So gameplay-wise, DS is really just a clunky survival game set in a fascinating world designed by Kojima? No unexpected changes to gameplay or locations other than rappelling and that snow area? I'm still there day 1 since it's a Kojima game, but I have a feeling this is gonna be another MGSV for me where the missions and setting quickly get repetitive and I just want to get to the next story beat or cutscene.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love EZA

but that's a tough quote

that reads like a parody of someone being so self serious and up their own ass they are legitimately blind from their own feces
Yeah...I once read someone (can't remember who) say about music: "anyone can go out there and make weird sounding, super random shit that doesn't make any sense to be different. The difficulty is making something new and different within the confines of what makes a song "good"."

It seems like that might apply here. "Safe"isms (assuming he's referring to frequently used tropes in video games like side quests etc.) are there for a reason - because they work. The difficulty is making them interesting, not making a game that's so "unsafe" that the result is a mess that doesn't translate to the language that 99% of gamers speak.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the "it was always going to be polarising" comments. The game has an 85 Metacritic score for crying out loud. A "polarising" game would have a 50 or 60 MC score lol...

The game simply didn't score as highly with critics as some people thought it would. An 85 is still a damn good score.

......do you know what "polarizing" means?

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
I really liked twin snakes on the Gamecube. It was a remake of MGS1 with some of the game play improvements from MGS2 put in. I'd recommend that if you able to make it happen.
I was initially going to play through the HD collection but in that case I might try emulating the GC version. Cheers for that.

Roarschach

Dec 18, 2018
Gameplay is the most important thing to me, so I knew watching all the trailers prior to the game's launch that it probably wouldn't be for me. However, I'll take Death Stranding over the bajillion, almost factory-made games you can find on shelves that all follow the same mold. In that regard, it feels like an achievement, something that shouldn't exist yet does. I agree though that Kojima's medium might not be video games, but rather movies. Guy enjoys editing much more than the usual dev, plus he always insists to add hours of cutscenes. If the gameplay is engaging that's fine, but his recent games are anything but.
Please not movies. I love the MGS writing but the lack of subtext in movies would kill me. Kinda like Zack Snyder. A dark comedy on the other hand..

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
honestly I'm kind of glad there's such a range of scores, I mean when's the last time you saw a game get a fucking 3? If everything is a 6-10 then the scale means nothing.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Multiple reviewers say the game is frustrating and the BB unit is annoying. That concerns me.

FashionTarkus

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I haven't cared about review numbers for years now and honestly, when I'm really interested in a game the only thing I really care about is performance.
Reviews often times fail to tell me what I would like to know about a game

That being said, RDR2 broke me and I don't know if I'm going to be able to go through another incredibly long game that, not matter how intriguing and well made , ultimately bores me. so what I'm reading is a little concerning.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I'm with you 100%. I fought Genichiro for four hours, and finally beat him without taking damage once. It was amazing. The next area I went to was a poison cave and crazy old women with shotguns that decimated me from across the map. After the Genichiro fight, all I could do was just throw my hands up in the air and turn the PS4 off because I just wasn't fucking dealing with any more shit from that game. Haven't touched it since, and I'm the type of person that put 500 hours into Bloodborne and even more into the various Souls games.

BB is my game of the generation and Dark Souls possibly my favorite game of all time and Sekiro made me feel like a single exercise of bashing my face into a wall until I joylessly gave up in disbelief that From did this to me haha. I took that shit personally.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The reviews so far definitely don't align with "love it or hate it".

There are plenty of scores that don't fall on opposite ends, and while people keep pushing this in their reviews, overall it is more positive than negative.

The data doesn't really align with this narrative.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
Stretched over 40 hours, this does not sound fun to me at all:

'Sam has to stay balanced in order to keep his precious cargo safe. You do this by adjusting straps on your back. The trigger buttons on the PS4 controller handle each side, so if Sam starts tipping to the left, you hit the left trigger and he tightens up his backpack to keep steady. Essentially, this means that while all you're really doing is walking, you need to stay intently focused. One small slip, and your cargo can be ruined. At times, Death Stranding can feel like a big-budget remake of QWOP. Other times, it's achingly beautiful as you stumble through a ruined landscape while ambient rock plays in the background. "

The Verge
I imagine its those sections of games where the character have to cross a narrow wood beam and you have to control the stick left or right to keep it balanced.... but for the vast majority of the game.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't say if DS is boring or not, having not played it (although it does look like an absolute chore to me), but movies like Blade Runner, Apocalypse Now and The Godfather are widely praised, recognized as paragons of cinema and not any possible respect divisive. It's a point that makes no sense. Also, trying to equate Hideo Kojima with the likes of Francis Ford Coppola is beyond absurd. The man cannot write good dialogue to save his life.

Death Stranding is widely praised too though. At least similar to say Blade Runner 2049. But I get where he's coming from, perhaps not with all examples, but certainly with Blade Runner, which I've watched with several people who found it too slow and boring.

Slushimi

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah...I once read someone (can't remember who) say about music: "anyone can go out there and make weird sounding, super random shit that doesn't make any sense to be different. The difficulty is making something new and different within the confines of what makes a song "good"."

It seems like that might apply here. "Safe"isms (assuming he's referring to frequently used tropes in video games like side quests etc.) are there for a reason - because they work. The difficulty is making them interesting, not making a game that's so "unsafe" that the result is a mess that doesn't translate to the language that 99% of gamers speak.
That's a great quote

Deleted member 2379

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was the Ars unscored review posted?

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019...ma-unleashed-and-its-as-weird-as-youd-expect/

The good
  • The zen-joy of a hike across some beautiful desolation.
  • A wonderful light soundtrack that drops at key moments.
  • Interesting online system encourages working together with strangers.
  • You can pause and skip cut scenes.
The bad
  • Incoherent plotting weighed down by sci-fi technobabble and unsubtle symbolism.
  • Long, empty delivery trips can feel like busywork.
  • Encounters with antagonists are more annoying than engaging.
  • Discursive cut scenes that go on and on with deep dives into pointless minutiae.
The ugly
  • Sitting through a two-hour cut scene finale and still having no idea what just happened.
Verdict: Try it if you want all the Metal Gear ridiculousness and overwrought drama with none of the stealth-action thrills.

Pazoca

Jun 12, 2018
Didn't a 6.8 score for some game years ago become a meme? For some reason that number seems familiar.

That was IGN reviewing Pokémon Alpha and Sapphire. It was a 7.8 though, but a good meme. The time I stopped caring about IGN.

IGN-reviews-Pokemon-Alpha-Sapphire-e92896.png

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Saying that Dan Ryckert isn't a Kojima fan is one of the hottest takes I've ever seen. Anyone who consumes GB content knows that he doesn't shut up about Kojima and Metal Gear. He even made Drew play through the entire series.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I don't get the "it was always going to be polarising" comments. The game has an 85 Metacritic score for crying out loud. A "polarising" game would have a 50 or 60 MC score lol...

What? The average score doesn't determine whether it's polarizing or not. Standard deviation from that average does.

You could have an 86 metacritic game where every single score was 8.6 out of 10. That would be a strong consensus. You could also have an 86 meteoritic game where everyone single score was either a perfect 10 out of 10, or a zero out of ten. That would strongly suggest there's something divisive about the game.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017

The game simply didn't score as highly with critics as some people thought it would. An 85 is still a damn good score.
Polarizing is about the deviation, not the average. If a game gets 3s and 10s, it's polarizing.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Christ. It's not so hard to understand that for some people it isn't boring, some find meaning in the social system and find accomplishment in conquering terrain or a difficult path they've been on for a while. Why doubt they have actually enjoyed those things?
And what is so hard to understand that for a bunch of other people these things are not exciting? They might not offer enough variety, that they don't really feel connected to other players or don't care about that aspect?
Could the haters and hater haters please come forward and explain to me what is so hard to grasp about subjective experiences?

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
People trying to discredit low scoring reviews because they want the game to be rated higher.

People trying to discredit high scoring reviews beause they want the game to be rated lower.

Thinly veiled fanboyism in full force.

would anyone expect any less from gamers?

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've read a lot of reviews, both positive and negative. And considering how I like to enjoy games, this still seems right up my alley. But we'll see when players actually get their hands on it.

I expected it to be very polarizing, and that's exactly how it's coming across. The message might hit to some and might not to others.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
from tim rogers review a choice quote so far

"death stranding's game design interrogates the player into wallowing in it's representation of logistical mundanity"

lol i don't think this game is for me

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
That was IGN reviewing Pokémon Alpha and Sapphire. It was a 7.8 but a good meme. The time I stopped caring about IGN.

IGN-reviews-Pokemon-Alpha-Sapphire-e92896.png

Funnily enough I always thought it was a valid criticism. Hoenn has a lot of water routes where you get interrupted every 2 seconds by a Wingull or Tentacool.

It was a funny way to phrase it sure, but I'm with them on that.

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
BB is my game of the generation and Dark Souls possibly my favorite game of all time and Sekiro made me feel like a single exercise of bashing my face into a wall until I joylessly gave up in disbelief that From did this to me haha. I took that shit personally.

Yep. I get and appreciate what From did with the game but it just wasn't for me which was a shame, because pretty much everything about it was top fucking notch. I learned the systems in Ninja Gaiden backwards and forwards and was really looking forward to doing the same with Sekiro, but it was just like being constantly kicked in the balls whenever I accomplished something. "Oh, you beat that boss after half a day huh? You feeling good? WELL HERE'S TWO FUCKING MORE AND THEY HAVE POISON AND CENTIPEDES AND SHIT."

Neo_MG90

Apr 23, 2018
Damn, thread is already more than 100 pages long! And the game is not even out yet

From what I've seen so far, I think I will wait to play this, not really hype for the game and I don't know if I'll really enjoy the game to justify buying it at launch.
I hope that those who do buy it at lauch that you get your money's worth back from the game.