• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How can we expect to bridge America together if these fucking triggered Americans don't understand this masterpiece. This is truly an asylum for the feeling.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
People in this thread : Why are so many of these reviews so critical and don't seem to really enjoy the game yet still give it a 9?

Also people in this thread: How dare reviewers give this a metacritic score of 84, it clearly deserves to be 98, this is just more proof that reviewers Just Don't Get It
Those are indeed separate opinions that separate people hold.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
What I can't get over is how dissonant a lot of the reviews read. Setting score aside, some read like they're reviewing two entirely different games.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
It's pretty hilarious trashing IGN's review as American exceptionalism considering that the review was written by Tristan Ogilvie, an Australian.

This game was always going to be polarizing, to me it looked boring as hell and others think Kojima can do no wrong. I don't know why people expect reviewers must partake in groupthink and come to a consensus, even if that is what the industry has largely done historically.

Some people will love it, others will hate it, it doesn't appear like there will be much middle ground and that's fine.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
"Great" how Kojima retweets this and all other comments are how IGN (US) never really played the game and is bad and horrible and the usual bullshit.
Thanks Kojima for making their life a better place by signal boosting this crap.

Geez

EISvlu1XsAE1x2Z.png
Wow.....that was a dick move, isn't that the type of shit we shouldn't be doing at all.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
So it's extremely divisive as I thought it would be. A 90+ would've made me give a harder look at it, but from what I've seen it just doesn't interest me and the reviews aren't good enough to change that.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When did the main IGN site become known as IGN America? lol

Anyway, Brian Altano from there did not care for it much.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
The more I read the more I get excited to play this.

I will never understand people canceling a preorder because a metascore. Like if the content of the reviews turns you off, by all means bail, but a metascore means jack shit.

I just read those as concern trolling I guess, because it makes no sense given the score is great...?

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
The combat around 30:50 of the Giant Bomb video is terrible. Sorry, I'm just chiming in as I watch what they're showing.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
I think I'm gonna pre-order, I'd rather play a game that some absolutely love and some absolutely hate than something that everyone thinks is solid.

SkillUp saying it's Kojima's best game and one of the best he's ever played has convinced me.

Dec 6, 2017
US
If you don't mind, can you give a quick description of what they say fits the term innovative? I'm currently listening to the Giant Beastcast podcast.

Ah dude I honestly can't summarize it adequately without potentially misquoting the hell out of it, I listened to it in my car on the way to work. He breaks down the core gameplay loop for example and explains very eloquently why he thinks it feels very different and what makes it stand out to him. I don't know if he actually uses the term innovative but he certainly says it feels "different" and much like MGSV makes seemingly thoughtless tasks in other games feel good...to paraphrase, don't quote me 100% ha.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
After having watched the Giant Bomb Quick Look for this game I feel pretty confident in saying that the higher scores for this game are going to be the ones that are looked back with some laughter years from now.

The Quick Look was one of the most entertaining ones I've seen from them in quite some time.

Jan 10, 2018
The gaming community is already on the brink of civil war and the game hasn't even been released yet. Kojima sure knows how to rile people up, I'll give him that at least.

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
It's getting 10s from outlets that the reviews do not read like a 10. That's why. It's just odd
No it's because outlets are highlighting why some might not enjoy some aspect of the game but for them and others they enjoyed those aspects. It'd be like having a review about RE1 and saying "tank controls will be an issues for many

I literally read multiple reviews that called the game out for being boring and frustrating and then still gave it a 9.5 or a 10.

Keep in mind, it's got nothing to do with rocking the boat or upsetting Kojima. What I have been saying all along is that people have very personal relationships with Kojima and his games. And subconsciously, those feelings may influence the way they allow certain flaws or drawbacks to alter the way they decide to score a game at the end of a review. This is how subjectivity works, and this is also why numerical scores don't fucking work.

Look at me. I'm a cynical piece of shit, yet I make excuses for Kingdom Hearts despite knowing how dumb it is, because I have a personal, emotional connection with Kingdom Hearts. Square Enix isn't paying me, Tetsuya Nomura and I aren't friends. And you know I'm harsh as hell with most things. But I'm going to find ways to tank or otherwise ignore things in KH that would be dealbreakers for me in other RPG franchises I don't have a personal connection with. Again, this is how subjectivity works.
I'm reading the same reviews you are and it's a case of either the reviewer saying "some others" might not enjoy these aspect but they clearly did (which is actually a really good view to include in a review unlike others that call it "irredeemable trash" that no one could possibly like) or that these aspects were minor gripes for them that did not greatly detract from the game being overall incredible for them. Fairly common traits found in reviews. I highlighted an example above with RE.

The "personal relationship" with Kojima cuts both ways. Some people genuinely do not like him and so that could be reflected in the negative review scores. Another way this "personal relationship" could manifest in an negative way would be that individuals that expect a certain "type" of game because it's Kojima and have found Death Stranding not to be that game. In this case the games independent qualities and worth is not being judged on their own merits but instead based in the reviewers own preconceived expectations. I get that you're saying ALL numerical scores don't work, but you say that then you're specifically being only critical of the positives and none of the negative ones. As if too allude only the negative ones are valid because they conform to your views and the positive ones don't because they are contrary and so it must mean reviewers are fluffing the scores/praise.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
people seriously attacking IGN USA for being an American site when the writer of the actual review wasn't an American?

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah dude I honestly can't summarize it adequately without potentially misquoting the hell out of it, I listened to it in my car on the way to work. He breaks down the core gameplay loop for example and explains very eloquently why he thinks it feels very different and what makes it stand out to him. I don't know if he actually uses the term innovative but he certainly says it feels "different" and much like MGSV makes seemingly thoughtless tasks in other games feel good...to paraphrase, don't quote me 100% ha.
Gotcha. Thanks for trying lol

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Those are indeed separate opinions that separate people hold.
My point is that people wonder why reviewers are afraid of giving this game a low score and the answer is right there

I mean, fuck, Kojima already called out the poor dude who gave it a 6.8. He's gonna be harassed for months just for having an opinion.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
oh god the monster energy drinks, i cant

trying to reverse the good will ring fit adventure brought into the world

GMT Master

Oct 3, 2019
Saw this quote from the Verge review and it pretty much sums up every Kojima game.

"Death Stranding' can be downright silly, and it occasionally veers into plain stupidity "

The Verge

If it had the gameplay to back it up, I could get over the Kojima factor.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly where I'm at.

I'm also excited to play a "boring" game. I love "boring" games or films. Blade Runner, BR2049, Apocalypse Now, The Last of Us are all boring as hell experiences. Yet, they're amazing and stick with you long after you've completed them. They make you sit and ponder. I just hope DS can reach those levels.

None of the things you mentioned are boring.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
I tried MGS4 on PS3 and was disappointed.
I tried MGS5 on PS4, didn't enjoy it but tried it again on PC and still found it disappointing.
This game looks to be disappointing.

I've never understood why Kojima is rated so highly based on everything I've experienced from him. Granted I've never played the original MGS titles (despite owning the HD collection somewhere) but it seems his games are always way overhyped but turn out to be disappointing, which is sometimes as a result of over hyping I'll admit, however I've tried some of his highest rated games myself such as MGS4 and MGS5 and got legitimately bored of them and it seems I'm not the only one who feels the same about those games either.
MGS 1 was phenomenal MGS2 was above average. MGS 3 slightly better than 2. I'm right there with you on 4&5.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017

This is the kind of thing I was sort of expecting my opinion on the game to be. I will absolutely check this out at some point just because a lot of things about this game seem incredibly fascinating, but I don't think it's something that I would necessarily enjoy playing.

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It I can recommend a review for the purpose of being entertaining, read the one on VG24/7 by Kirk McKeand:

On a different point: I've read two reviews with a "perfect" score and they weren't able to explain to me, why they loved the game.
But, others weren't really either

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The Easy Allies review said something that I wanted to highlight: "It's [Death Stranding] exactly the kind of game that opens your eyes to how nauseatingly safe most games are."

Its trivial at this point to say Death Stranding is "different", but indeed, even now I am playing (and enjoying) The Outer Worlds, but its the same type of kill/loot/talk RPG I've been playing my entire gaming life.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
While there are reviews with over the top low scores I don't like more those that mention the game having glaring issues yet stil giving it a 9-10 because Kojima, I had a felling it would end on 80-84 so I guess it works out, the world has found balance on itself.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I think some of y'all are treating Kojima retweeting that IGN thing too seriously. It most likely wasn't malicious

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
The divisive reviews leave me at the same place I was before: I think I'll wait until a significant price drop to get this. There's just too much else out I want to play right now, and there's a very good chance I'll find the gameplay a slog like several of the review outlets.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
4 and 5 are the most divisive games in the series. Some people hate them others like them. You shouldn't even play 4 if you haven't played the previous 3. It's a very fan servicey game.
1-3 are universally loved by most. They're legit great games. They're way more balanced in the gameplay vs cutscene department.

MGS 1 was phenomenal MGS2 was above average. MGS 3 slightly better than 2. I'm right there with you on 4&5.

I should definitely give them a try then. I still have the MGS4 disk somewhere so I could give it another go after trying those games out 👍

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
What the fuck is this thread anymore
I just can't tell anymore.

Someone please tell me this is facetious.
There was someone who was unironically using that argument against the American reviewers.
I always thought this game had a pretty expected mix of people trying to put this game down because "lol walking simulator" and people obsessing over it because "genius Kojima", but yeeeesh some of the review responses for the latter are getting up there with the nutso Zelda and Uncharted reviews.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

This is the kind of thing I was sort of expecting my opinion on the game to be. I will absolutely check this out at some point just because a lot of things about this game seem incredibly fascinating, but I don't think it's something that I would necessarily enjoy playing.

sounds awful tbh. Maybe I'll watch on YouTube.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
None of the things you mentioned are boring.

The entire point of this is that the notion of what constitutes as 'boring' is entirely subjective. Most people loved DS and found its gameplay and premise enjoyable and not boring, but some didn't. That's why its meta is 85 right now, and not 90+ or lower than 70.

I will say, I think many reviews state the game starts off slow, which is a shame. But I guess the opening hours are some of its worse.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Has this been posted?

Famitsu's Japanese gameplay with no commentary.

Don't know if there spoilers, but it's in Japanese, so...

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
Followup tweet from Brian, this is kind of exactly where I'm at as well with games. I admire it for doing something different, but not for me I think.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

yoshi's island is over 20 years old and people still haven't learned the lessons