• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sep 14, 2019
I honestly never expected this. I kind of thought that the clout of Kojima would put it above Horizon at least (not that a 89 or 84 are low by any means).

Roarschach

Dec 18, 2018
There's nothing wrong with him retweeting that or highlighting how IGN US's score is an outlier low score among the IGN outlets. It's his game, he needs it to be successful, and obviously review optics is part of that.

Also, what stupid things other people say with regards to the lower review isn't exactly Kojima's fault. That's on them.

On a side note, IGN Latin America gave it a 9.8 and IGN Brasil gave it a 9.0.
Sounds more like he's pissed about IGN 6.8

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Game sounds best that to watch a Youtube movie than buying it to play. Sadly gonna cancel my collectors edition order. Tried blacking out. Oof

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Man, the bike traversal over the environment in that giantbomb quick look looks bad?
Still can't over the fact that they are out there trying to deliver a fucking pizza lol

The traversal aspect of DS is probably the only part of its gameplay that looks intriguing to me. You have to properly navigate your environments, whether you're walking or driving. However, I'm also equally put off by the focus on encumbrance. I wish it was somehow designed around traversal without having to mess around with the other thing.
Some not so positive thoughts in the Twitter thread here, invisible walls etc.:

Well that's uh something.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait to see how these reviews will compare to the PC version reviews next summer.

GMT Master

Oct 3, 2019
Exactly where I'm at.

I'm also excited to play a "boring" game. I love "boring" games or films. Blade Runner, BR2049, Apocalypse Now, The Last of Us are all boring as hell experiences. Yet, they're amazing and stick with you long after you've completed them. They make you sit and ponder. I just hope DS can reach those levels.

There is so much wrong with this. I don't even know where to start.

Don't compare DS a game you haven't played to two great movies, one being arguably one of the best films ever made, and a game with fantastic writing and characters to this kojima nonsense.

Slapping the boring label on those two movies is ridiculous. Even calling the last of us boring by comparison is laughable.

JFC, this is where we are now.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Obviously I'll have to get my hands on it to full qualify this feeling that I'm having, however...

Between the "giant bomb is cynical" arguments, and even someone like Kojima himself retweeting that "which one of these scores is not like the other" tweet. I can't help but feel like this game (and it's still rosy meta-score) might be a beneficiary of an industry that still, after all these years, hands out high scores when it "feels like it should".

Dan from GB I disagree with a lot (a lot...) of the time. But the one thing that we do know is that he has essentially no filter, and speaks from the heart. And he was like the biggest Kojima mark of all time, defending even the MGS series' worst decisions. And HE isn't able to find the gilded edge here? That says more to me than a slew of (10/10 "If you score this low, you just a didn't GET it man!" - Random PlayStation Centric Site!) ever could.
Yeah you might have to look at the review thread guidelines cause wow

Oct 25, 2017
This seems like a pretty good result for a first attempt after splitting off. He pretty much had to build a lot of this game and it's tools from the ground up and getting this kind of response.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
"Great" how Kojima retweets this and all other comments are how IGN (US) never really played the game and is bad and horrible and the usual bullshit.
Thanks Kojima for making their life a better place by signal boosting this crap.

Geez

EISvlu1XsAE1x2Z.png
Woof what the fuck

Alak96

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Great" how Kojima retweets this and all other comments are how IGN (US) never really played the game and is bad and horrible and the usual bullshit.
Thanks Kojima for making their life a better place by signal boosting this crap.

Geez

EISvlu1XsAE1x2Z.png

I get that maybe Kojima hoped for better scores, but this comes off as petty.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if the people trashing ign America just because of the 6.8 will get banned, it's against that mod post right?

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Current metacritic is exactly where I thought it'd be. I still have it pre-ordered despite a PC version coming, and trying to decide if I should keep it is hard. Sometimes reviews complain about things that don't bother me at all. But with this one, I can definitely see being really bothered by the same things.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's with this anyway, I've seen this a lot lately? I mean, you said it, how could it not by default be in your opinion?
It's fucking nonsense, is all. People looking for any reason to take issue with what you say.

Also I have asked this so many damn times and haven't received a single response: What is "innovative," "revolutionary," or [boundary breaking] about this game? I don't get the impression at all from the few reviews I've read and the people commenting here, but people keep saying this shit. What does this game do differently that makes it something so different from any other game that precedes it? I'm genuinely curious. As it is, that shit is just hollow praise because no one is explaining what the fuck that even means.

Oct 27, 2017
You should already know this answer, and it's why reviews in general are broken. Most games fall between 6-10. So a 7 based on that very limited scale that is actually used is not that great.
Pretty much. Unless a game is legit broken it won't get a 4-5 from those major outlets. ~7 is probably as low as IGN would've gone for a non broken game.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Is Last of us boring? Yeah, it had slow moments but the pacing was done really well.

Judging from the reviews, Death Stranding doesn't get pacing down

lmao none of those things listed are boring experiences.

"Boring" is the short hand many use for narratives that have a slower pace. You've never heard people say Blade Runner or The Godfather is boring? Folks walked out of the screenings of BR2049 I saw saying they fell asleep, meanwhile I just witnessed one of the finest masterpieces of my life. However, to me "boring" does not indicate a bad quality, it simply means a slower pace with less action. The Last of Us is "boring," you send a lot of the game walking, talking, moving ladders, solving rudimentary puzzles, scavenging, and occasionally shooting zombies. It's also exactly why I love it.

We need more AAA experience that aren't afraid to slow things way down.

There is so much wrong with this. I don't even know where to start.

Don't compare DS a game you haven't played to two great movies, one being arguably one of the best films ever made, and a game with fantastic writing and characters to this kojima nonsense.

Slapping the boring label on those two movies is ridiculous. Even calling the last of us boring by comparison is laughable.

JFC, this is where we are now.

See above.

Did I say DS was of the same quality as Apocalypse Now? I said, I'm excited for a more "boring" ie slower paced game. We'll see if it manages to reach anywhere near those heights.

Globule

Banned
May 9, 2018
Well, OK. Not an unexpected outcome if you ask me. If you have already played a bunch of Kojima games by now you know the guy has awful storytelling skills. What surprised me with those reviews though is that it seems the gameplay takes a backseat somehow. MGS5 had storytelling issues too but the gameplay was enjoyable at the very least. What is expected is that DS seems absolutely wonderful in terms of design and technology but is it enough? Well, not for me.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
The traversal aspect of DS is probably the only part of its gameplay that looks intriguing to me. You have to properly navigate your environments, whether you're walking or driving. However, I'm also equally put off by the focus on encumbrance. I wish it was somehow designed around traversal without having to mess around with the other thing.

Very interesting.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Uhhh both bladerunners are pretty fucking boring lol albeit excellent.

Maybe to you. Most people tend to like blade runner. I know it's not a blockbuster and the first was a failure initially, but most people tend to like blade runner. It doesn't take some higher thinking to appreciate the movies and games listed. FFS TLOU is one of the most universally acclaimed and loved games I can think of. Jesus the IQs in this thread must be off the charts.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
If you read the IGN U.S. review summary without context to me it almost perfectly describes my experience with RDR2 (I loved RDR2).

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

So here are all the reviews I know of.

IGN US - 6.8/10
IGN Japan - 9.5/10
IGN Italy - 9.6/10
IGN Spain - 8.7/10
IGN South Africa - 9/10
IGN Germany - 7.9
IGN Poland - 7.6
IGN Latin America - 9.8
IGN Brazil - 9.0
IGN Portugal - 9.5

Average across IGN is 8.74

Last edited:

Blayde

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
it seems to me like you just need to play it for yourself to decide if you like it. unfortunate for people who can't/wont take a risk on purchasing a game i guess. Possibly something a lot of people will pick up down the road on sale?

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
It seems like most reviewers weren't fans of the actual gameplay. From the few 8's reviews I read, they seemed much more negative than the score.

Is this the new norm, review scores seeming higher than what the reviewer is saying in their reviews?

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
People in this thread : Why are so many of these reviews so critical and don't seem to really enjoy the game yet still give it a 9?

Also people in this thread: How dare reviewers give this a metacritic score of 84, it clearly deserves to be 98, this is just more proof that reviewers Just Don't Get It

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Feel bad for the IGN reviewer. Just know that person is gonna catch a lot of shit from fanboys.

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
User Banned (3 Days): Ignoring Staff Post
But... Guillermo Del Toro, and Norman Reedus!

I was told Kojima was the best thing in gaming since sliced.

you hate to see it

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019

Reminds me of when soccer players get hurt and the magic spray comes out to bring them back to life.

Looks+like+she+tripped+get+the+magic+healing+spray+_36d73847b4e2c54b90505dddfcf65caa.jpg

Oct 29, 2017
Beyond hyped for this game. The fact that one of the reviews I briefly read stated that Konami appeared to be a "safeguard" against Kojima's crazier ideas is AWESOME. Give me that unleashed Kojima insanity.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
"Boring" is the short hand many use for narratives that have a slower pace. You've never heard people say Blade Runner or The Godfather is boring? Folks walked out of the screenings of BR2049 I saw saying they fell asleep, meanwhile I just witnessed one of the finest masterpieces of my life. However, to me "boring" does not indicate a bad quality, it simply means a slower pace with less action. The Last of Us is "boring," you send a lot of the game walking, talking, moving ladders, solving rudimentary puzzles, scavenging, and occasionally shooting zombies. It's also exactly why I love it.

You have to have a high IQ to understand The Last of Us, Bladerunner, or Godfather

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I actually think you're super close to the truth. And everything you described culminated in me cancelling my subscription to them.
The thing with Giant Bomb is that I don't think they gave DS really a chance. Since the beginning they've been goofing and laughing about it. So them now ripping into it comes to no suprise at all. Dan is definitely no Kojima fan. He likes Metal Gear. And him hoping DS would be like MGS was a dud from the beginning.
And it's not like DS is the first game they acted like this over. It's a continuous cycle with them. If you told me everyone on their teams disliked videogames in general I would instantly believe that.

That's one thing I see in a lot of DS reviews so far. Publications that are often down on games for being to "similar" to others in the genre, now get something that is very unlike anything out there. And they still hate on it. And saying that the story doesn't go anywhere, when the story is actually one of the main things being praised in most other ones?

Okay.
This is just hilarious. Unreal what people will say in defense of a game they haven't even experienced yet.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017

God damn man you may not realize it, but you are just pumping yourself up so much. Yes I've heard people call them boring, but the godfather is number 2 on the IMDB top 250, which is largely a what have you done for me lately, MCU, blockbuster fest these days. It's one of the most universally acclaimed movies. It's "boring" because it's extremely long. Hearing people call it boring doesn't make it the majority opinion, and you not finding it boring doesn't make you more intelligent.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I
Some of us dont read the scores, just the content of the reviews, and quite honestly the text of even the "positive" reviews paints the picture of a middling game.

Kojima went full meta.
Your journey is not a pleasant or fun one. It's long, boring, exhausting and thats how the game wants you to feel, that's how the game wants you to create a bond with other players: cooperating to lighten the burden.
It feels like commitment and sacrifice.

A lot of people are looking for a game and aren't willing to put up with that.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
I tried MGS4 on PS3 and was disappointed.
I tried MGS5 on PS4, didn't enjoy it but tried it again on PC and still found it disappointing.
This game looks to be disappointing.

I've never understood why Kojima is rated so highly based on everything I've experienced from him. Granted I've never played the original MGS titles (despite owning the HD collection somewhere) but it seems his games are always way overhyped but turn out to be disappointing, which is sometimes as a result of over hyping I'll admit, however I've tried some of his highest rated games myself such as MGS4 and MGS5 and got legitimately bored of them and it seems I'm not the only one who feels the same about those games either.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018

See above.

Did I say DS was of the same quality as Apocalypse Now? I said, I'm excited for a more "boring" ie slower paced game. We'll see if it manages to reach anywhere near those heights.

Agree with that, that's why I loved Uncharted 2 more than 3

they both had a sequence were Drake was pushed to his limits (the train and plane crash respectively) but the difference of what happened afterwards makes one scenario better than the other

Uncharted 2 has you do a breather level interacting with villagers afterwards and then a platforming level before going into action

Uncharted 3 dives straight back into the action, making the entire plane crash and desert level kinda pointless