• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Hahaha oh man now I read that someone can't take reviewers seriously because they lack literary insight and aren't enlightened enough to deliver an accurate opinion on themes and story. Word we playing Death Shakespeare here.
Hahaha, right? This is Hideo Kojima, for better and for worse the man has absolutely zero subtlety. The subtext is always just text. No enlightened insight needed.

Komali

Sep 25, 2018
Considering you've yet to see what he's talking about, this comment is some risky business. Like defending Quiet before MGSV because of Kojima's "words and deeds" statement only for her to turn out to just be there for sex appeal.
I think I know what he's talking about because it was somewhere mentioned in another thread. It's a pretty distasteful idea if you're thinking about it first but at the same time it gets you intrigued because there has to be some meaning behind this. It's not really comparable to Quiet.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
xvwRCGq.png

I agree with him on his first point. People who have yet to play the game telling other people who have and didn't enjoy the experience, that "they just dooon't geet iitt maaaann", sounds horribly annoying. This game, like other pieces of art, will be subjective, and people aren't stupid for not appreciating something the way someone else does. If someone finds nothing of value and someone else does, neither person is incorrect. But we should wait until we play the game before any reviewer gets attacked for an opinion

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Oh shit, I forgot about RedBox...wonder if they'll carry Death Stranding. I'd rent the fuck out of it for a night at least.

That's the only way I'd be able to play at launch lol. Unfortunately though Redbox has been AWFUL in my area at least in regards to getting new games. We got WWE and the new COD in the past however I don't know long. I've been wanting to play Control and Sekiro and they've gotten neither.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I was hoping Kojima could pull of the magical perfect 10's right out of the gate with universal praise. But, none of the review scores will change whether I get the game, especially when games like RDR2 got universal praise, including praise for its story, which boggles my mind. For me, the judgement will come down to how Kojima executes the story and whether the gameplay loop tires itself out before it's all over.

MGSV is such a goddamn joy to play, but it's story is near non-existent. So while it got 90+ MC score, it was bottom tier Kojima to me. I'm far more interested in the story in my games than strictly gameplay. And, game reviewers typically have zero idea how to judge whether a story is good or not. They simply lack the literary and cinematic education in order to properly judge story properly. They typically have zero understanding of themes, subtext, cinematography, or what in general makes minute-to-minute writing good. Thus, I can't really ever take their word seriously whenever they discuss story and have to just judge it for myself.
I am not sure if you are being serious or not, but, just to put things in perspective for you: The whole theme and influence of Death Stranding, the "stick and ropes", came to be because fucking Tim Rogers (a "reviewerguy from Kotaku) told Kojima to read a novel by Kobo Abe. Like, I am not even making this shit up. So that bolded part not only is stupid, but incredibly funny as well.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What's the deal with GiantBomb? I truly don't know them, but it seems that their opinion is a really big deal over here.

Regarding the reviews, I really liked the EZA video. It seems the world and story are something special, but the mechanics are not as fun as they should be, which is shocking given the previous Kojima's games.
Part of it is because Jeff has been known for his candor about what he likes and doesn't like for decades, and was famously fired years ago for not changing a review to please a sponsor, so he has always been viewed as a reliable voice, even though his particular taste in games is somewhat limited and specific. The other part is that 5 people at Giantbomb have played it, none of them particularly like it, and they all dislike it for different reasons

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Ooooh I've been loosely following along with Death Stranding news out of curiosity and for the weirdness factor and cuz everyone keeps talking about it, but I've only been passively interested so far. All the divisive reviews and opinions here, though, have actually tipped me over into being actively interested now. 👀
It's got me really curious on if I'll like it or not, and I don't hate the idea of just walking and wondering around everywhere. Think I'm gonna try to pick this one up at launch.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
I've never seen a review thread focus so much on GB.

Do you remember Quantum Break? People were breaking down footage of the quick look like an NFL telecast to show that Jeff is bad at games and also a bad person who kicks puppies. People do not like their hype threatened, especially when it's a fandom like MS first party or Kojima.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Unfortunately, a lot of the positive reviews are positive with caveats. "Yeah this game is ponderous and frustrating and kind of too long and most of the content is fetch quests, but Kojima made it really weird so 10/10".

It's almost like Metascore isn't really a good way to analyze a game's quality.

Yeah reading the review snippets and then seeing the scores..this is definitely it.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just saw how the fast travel system works. WTF? This game seems like it's not fun at all. A complete reversal from MGSV. The last third of DS seems like the story starts to crumble and the game starts to have downright frustrating gameplay based on the impressions.

Seems like this will l be the worst KojiPro game so far, which is really disappointing.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I think I know what he's talking about because it was somewhere mentioned in another thread. It's a pretty distasteful idea if you're thinking about it first but at the same time it gets you intrigued because there has to be some meaning behind this. It's not really comparable to Quiet.

People were saying there "has to be" some meaning behind Quiet's T&A up until MGSV's release...

...there wasn't lol. I don't want to be spoiled on what you're talking about but I'm assuming that Jeff has played far enough to know whether whatever it is gets 'justified' or not.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Lots of reviews to come, from people that hate it to the point of not even wanting to play it to completion. The embargo restrictions of bedding to complete are giving this game a better early score then it will end up having.

I have never seen vitriol for a game from pretty major reviewers/sites as scathing as what's come out from Edge and GiantBomb.
I don't know where all these magical publications and websites that are yet to review are coming from..

Havent reviewers had the game for weeks? It's a 40 hour game, not 4000.

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And, game reviewers typically have zero idea how to judge whether a story is good or not. They simply lack the literary and cinematic education in order to properly judge story properly. They typically have zero understanding of themes, subtext, cinematography, or what in general makes minute-to-minute writing good. Thus, I can't really ever take their word seriously whenever they discuss story and have to just judge it for myself.

This should be a new copy pasta next to the "sharp knees" dude

Sep 22, 2019
Welp time to wait for PC version it is... I knew Kojima needed some restrictions... This game from the beginning just looked like an excuse for Kojima to get involved with many different actors.

I know the game is not total dog shit, but I still can't get over the fact that I will be using Daryl from the Walking Dead and it breaks the immersion for me. Weirdly I am fine if the face is from someone not famous like in Horizon Zero Dawn, but I sure will miss original characters with their own faces like Snake.

Dec 6, 2017
US
That's the only way I'd be able to play at launch lol. Unfortunately though Redbox has been AWFUL in my area at least in regards to getting new games. We got WWE and the new COD in the past however I don't know long. I've been wanting to play Control and Sekiro and they've gotten neither.

I live in the NYC area so gladly, at least in the past, they've been stocked up really quickly. I rented Doom 2016 there on release day as a matter of fact, which surprised the hell out of me.

I'll definitely give it a shot and share my impressions as a current skeptic if I get my hands on it via RedBox.

I know the game is not total dog shit, but I still can't get over the fact that I will be using Daryl from the Walking Dead and it breaks the immersion for me. Weirdly I am fine if the face is from someone not famous like in Horizon Zero Dawn, but I sure will miss original characters with their own faces like Snake.

I don't dig the celebrity "actors" thing at all either, I'd prefer original characters and somehow find it weird in a negative way despite obviously not minding actors playing different people on screen. Probably just not used to it but as of right now I don't care for it.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Unfortunately, a lot of the positive reviews are positive with caveats. "Yeah this game is ponderous and frustrating and kind of too long and most of the content is fetch quests, but Kojima made it really weird so 10/10".
Yeah this is super unfortunate. I don't understand how you can have so many caveats yet not reflect that in your score.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I highly doubt that a professional critic approaches a game in this fashion. It is entirely possibly to critique a very good game, but if you want to throw the entire weight behind the critical aspects of a review and nothing else, that's on you, not Metacritic.

Pro tip - I used to be a professional reviewer myself. I never gave review scores because numerical scores aren't an accurate way to reflect how you feel about a game. It's just convenient bullshit that gamers use to shit on each other from behind battle lines they drew months before release, rather than an accurate way to gauge a game's quality level.

There are plenty of positive reviews in the OP that very clearly make mention of the game's myriad flaws and drawbacks but then excuse them in order to put a 9/10 or 10/10 score on top of the end product. This kind of stuff is counterproductive and it works against quality discourse because readers just boil reviews down to scores instead of actually reading them and in some case not even trying to look at a game from a top level down and analyze it as a whole.

This bullshit "GOTF OR GTFO" mindset that the modern gaming community has rallied around is inherently toxic and antithetical to proper analysis.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The 10s this game is getting makes no sense based on the review content.

Game sounds like a beautiful fetch quest with a weird wtf story.

Could be interesting but if it is really like 40 hours of that and cutscenes I don't think it interests me at all

Deleted member 29249

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Lol at the giant bomb haters, they all just went gaga over Outer Worlds (a game I dislike) yet they hate everything now. Come on already.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
GB Beastcast is crazy, I've never heard Vinny have the meltdown he's having about this game.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
I agree with him on his first point. People who have yet to play the game telling other people who have and didn't enjoy the experience, that "they just dooon't geet iitt maaaann", sounds horribly annoying. This game, like other pieces of art, will be subjective, and people aren't stupid for not appreciating something the way someone else does. If someone finds nothing of value and someone else does, neither person is incorrect. But we should wait until we play the game before any reviewer gets attacked for an opinion
That's probably the best thing about doing a review and getting attacked for it to be honest. You get to watch as those ardent defenders finally play the game and then get real, real quiet about it. Then a year or two later there's a LTTP thread and they bag on the game like they weren't absolutely convinced it was 10/10 Game of the Generation stuff before they played it.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hahaha, right? This is Hideo Kojima, for better and for worse the man has absolutely zero subtlety. The subtext is always just text. No enlightened insight needed.
I'm all for people judging a product for themselves if they aren't comfortable letting another person's opinion persuade them. But saying others are too ignorant to understand it is hilarious.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
People listing other games that could win GOTY and leaving Shenmue 3 out sicken me.

Makes me wanna lucky hit em.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NPR (no score):
The reality is that Death Stranding is neither a masterpiece nor a failure. It's a fairly average but ambitious experience, elevated by the enthusiasm and eccentricity of its creator. As frustrating a creative work as it often is, there's no doubting that it's an earnest one.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
The reviews don't sound bad but otherwise confirm my fears of it being boring and a walking simulator. Also, an hour for a single cut scene? LOL. That's all the time I have for playing in a single day. Will be skipping this one.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
the only member of the giant bomb family properly qualified to review this game is drew scanlon and he has been SUSPICIOUSLY quiet
He is probably walking across the Icelandic tundra himself and learning about the culture of delivery drivers, hot springs, and peeing in the wilderness there

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I've read a few reviews now and I'm pretty excited to jump into my first Kojima game.
Some talk of not much in the way of actual difficulty due to the way the game is designed....but not really a big deal,I don't need a game to be challenging to enjoy it,will probably go with very hard now anyway.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are plenty of positive reviews in the OP that very clearly make mention of the game's myriad flaws and drawbacks but then excuse them in order to put a 9/10 or 10/10 score on top of the end product.

What kind of flaws are those? I see a lot of talk of "isolating" or "slow" or "lonely" or "repetative" but those are clearly grounded in the 9 & 10 reviews as positive traits that enhanced the experience for the reviewer. Only the (numerous) 7/10 reviews seem to see those characteristics as negatives.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Hahaha oh man now I read that someone can't take reviewers seriously because they lack literary insight and aren't enlightened enough to deliver an accurate opinion on themes and story. Word we playing Death Shakespeare here.
Yeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

People are WILDIN in this thread. It's a videogame lmao.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
LTTP here but scores seem about what I expected. Kojima wasn't lying about inventing a new genre but understanding/enjoying it as he intended wouldn't be viable to the whole, or the majority, of the community. Therefore we got very scores as divided as it gets, which is fine.
I think it might be helpful to maybe take a step back and remember artistry, inventiveness, creativity are all great things, but they do not inherently make a game fun or engaging or enjoyable to play.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Kojima stans are DEEP in this thread lol. Yikes.

I never cared for any of his games, they were all usually boring as fuck with stories that make no sense, but I'm still interested in this despite a few less than stellar reviews.

Naudyboy

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 6, 2019

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that Dan HATES this game says pretty much everything. He was 100% right that RDR2 was a complete slog to play. So if he says that DS is even worse than the most boring open world game i have played this gen, then this will be a hard pass from me.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't know where all these magical publications and websites that are yet to review are coming from..

Havent reviewers had the game for weeks? It's a 40 hour game, not 4000.
GOW 2018 has 118 reviews and RDR2 98 reviews on MC. Still got GQ, Edge and GB at the least all looking to be low reviews.