• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does the game have legit boss fights? Like not MGS5 lack of boss fights but actual boss fights like in previous MGS games.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I thought this would have been a No Man's Sky level disaster, still a pass from me though.

It really does remind me of NMS. People kept saying NMS wasn't showing everything, there had to be more. Then the game comes out and... nope, what you saw in the released footage is what you get. (well, except for the missing sandworm)

ThingsRscary

Banned
Mar 10, 2019
So Kojima is a human after all.
I always say it and will say it again. Never look at who is making the game look at the game itself. The same things go to movies, music, and tv shows.

it's harmful to the industry if you going to get hype because a certain person is behind it.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
That's actually really interesting analysis. So more people absolutely loved Death Stranding, but the polarising nature in some of it's harsher reviews brought the average down in a bigger way.
More people loved Death Stranding and more people hated Death Stranding than some of those other games. On par with RE2R though (in terms of 10s), still think that'll get the GotY consensus.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Even the reviews giving it high scores have some pretty damning comments about the game in there. Scores might not matter, but consistency in commentary does. It sounds like it is only divisive in the most technical sense of the word.

ZeroNr

Oct 20, 2019
That's actually really interesting analysis. So more people absolutely loved Death Stranding, but the polarising nature in some of it's harsher reviews brought the average down in a bigger way.
Yeah. So it has a chance. Tho some fucking hated it with passion. I imagine shit will go down in places to choose GOTY lol.

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
86 is a great score there's nothing controversial about it. Might not be the best game ever made, but it's still great one.

People should try to not treat things so extremely. The fact that it's not the best ps4 game ever, doesn't mean that this game is bad or anything.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
What on earth... can't watch for a while but isn't he positive on the game? That line sounds like actual, legitimate torture.

Either way, it's a great line, lol.

Yeah, he's very positive on the game. Effusively so. The quote makes sense in the context! It's just funnier out of context.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Some of the reviews have given me the impression that kojima turned "Fetch quests" into a game genre

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly Sekiro sounds like the safest bet for GOTY 2019.

But maybe Star Wars could surprise us

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Seeing the Giant Bomb thing with the first delivery they showed, i'm legitimately interested in the "puzzle" elements they put in delivery.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
If you ignore the staff discussion guidelines for this thread then nothing changes at all.

And if you take all the reviews in aggregate, which is sort of half the point of this topic, you get a divisive game that you may or may not like.

"If you ignore all the low ranked reviews," is a view worth criticizing. That's always been a flawed argument.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Imagine thinking that someone who hasn't enjoyed the experience will somehow magically think an ending will make them enjoy the slog they just endured

Games can be a much longer form medium than any of those other formats. They can go up to being infinitely long. If a reviewer feels that a game isn't justifying their time well, why should they continue?

To do their job, perhaps? A friend of mine reviews albums, and while they take much less time to go through, he gets a ton of them every week, and many of them are average or worse. I respect him for listening them all from start to finish, and thus giving them a fair review, whether it's a positive or negative one.

He's not reviewing it.

Yes, and he's certainly making a big deal about it, and essentially giving a review by doing so.

Imagine comparing things that couldn't be more different and acting as a fool in front of everyone.

Like admitting doing the same?

You don't always need to finish games before reviewing them. I've reviewed games I never finished because the concept fundamentally didn't work and the experience wasn't worth a purchase in any case.

Imagine your opinion on something being censored because it was too unbearable to finish.

I guess we have a very different idea of what censorship is.

TV reviews are nearly always just for the pilot or first few episodes. And none of the others take 50+ hours to get through. And critics do complain all the time.

And that's the post of mine you bothered to reply, unlike the one on the other thread?

Imagine any of those things taking upwards of 30+ hours of active tedium. If it has failed that much as a game, then that's a black mark against it. A review is meant to reflect that person's experience playing to better inform audiences of what they're getting into. Standard players quit games that bore them all the time, so his opinion of it is that it's not worth picking up because it's too boring to play.

Imagine trying to call Edge unprofessional because they don't want to smell Kojima's farts for another 10+ hours of their life.

Such an edgy post.

Disclaimer:
I'm probably not buying the game, because it's open world, and I'm not even a fan of Kojima's works (aside from PT), so this isn't some sort of defense force on my behalf.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Isn't this what everyone secretly wanted?

Some great reviews. Fans can get excited, and have fun with it all.
Fewer less-great ones. Critics can get excited, and have fun with it all.
We can have repetitive arguments over Kojima the 'auteur' and what 'AAA' means.
GOTY back and forth over these endless metrics

All good, ERA is content.

Sorry, this is probably against mod rules. So in sum: COOL, I WILL BUY IT CHEAP PROBS, SOUNDS INTERESTING.

malcolmx

Banned
May 20, 2018
This is most interesting than pure score. I see some 3.5/10 ok maybe you can hate the game but many find it a masterpiece and that's a sight to behold

Many complain of the same issue as the 3/10 reviews. I think the Kojima name is carrying it and the cast & what seems to be a very different storytelling scope.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Now that more people have watched the Tim Rojers review, I can repeat what I said earlier that this being the most Kojima game ever has me excited as a fan. I am curious about absolute newcomers. Takes me back to nearly 20 years ago, playing MGS for the first time.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I am not talking about his opinion on the game. I am talking about the whole "the game is too long to review on time, so won´t make the next number, so it won´t the next after this because we are cool and hard reviewers" thing. This, without saying that he admits hating the game in his twitter feed without supporting it with any reasons.

See I read it as him saying "the game isn't worth finishing". So was giving his opinion - and explaining why no review.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Friend of mine reviewed it and very sternly advised me to go radio silent for it.
"It's a very deep dive into the creative ethos of a madman. Go in fresh. Blind yourself, if need be."

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean this almost has to be better than Too Old to Die Young.
I'm one of those weirdos that enjoyment out of that show. But I also know that I don't want to struggle up a mountain for 45 min in a video game.
I'd rather watch leafs blowing up someones butt in a Malick film then be those leafs and be able to twirl the camera for the same time in a game.
(EDIT See above post for review variety)

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
this game has shown why metacritic is basically useless. "oh, it has an 84!? not as good as i expected but still good!" meanwhile, that 84 is actually largely the result of those that loved it and those that hated it. going in expecting it to be an "84" is missing the boat

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Game is exactly what we expected based on what we were shown. Interesting narrative & themes, tons of polish & great performances by the awesome cast, paired fetch quest gameplay and just ok combat. A lot of people will greatly enjoy this game, but after reading/watching a few reviews I am happy to know I can just watch a let's play & get what I want out of Death Stranding. Hope everyone that's looking forward to it enjoys it come next week!

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
These reviews have told me only one thing: I have to fucking place this now. Gameplay loop of deliveries to holograms isn't something I'm looking forward to though.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Regardless of how the game is maybe if we want gaming to be taken seriously as a artform we should dial back the smelling farts discourse?
You don't think movie directors, book writers or even painters are ever thought of as pretentious people sniffing their own farts? I assure you, they definitely are. Calling out fart sniffers is the sign that your medium has started to be taken seriously as art if anything.