• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Gears of War 5 - 84
The Outer Worlds - 85
Death Stranding - 84

Funny how they're all at a similar meta rating. I wonder if (consensus) GOTY really could go to RE2R or Sekiro.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like I'll love it.

Easy Allies seem to love it.
It's polarizing.
I'm open minded.

I think anyone who goes into this game with stubborn expectations will be predictably disappointed. The controversy seems a bit No Man's Sky honestly, and I'm just fine with that.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
seems like it's a good game, and not a GOAT game... which is fine. To a normal person. Although this is ERA, so it's actually not fine at all.

needless to say, these threads are entertaining as ever.

giphy.gif

Ashflow

Feb 13, 2018
US
"Death Stranding is like eating 60 pounds of vegetables... at gunpoint."

One of Tim Rogers's most entertaining reviews yet. Highly recommend it. Informative as always. No spoilers either.
What on earth... can't watch for a while but isn't he positive on the game? That line sounds like actual, legitimate torture.

Either way, it's a great line, lol.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
It's on the higher end of what I expected, and about as divisive as I was thinking it would be. I have NO idea how I'll feel about this game, because I never played anything like this. It's a fun feeling, I'll be there day one.

Nov 8, 2017

The only other major contender still to release is Jedi: Fallen Order which has been getting glowing previews. Hard to know if that's a ~90+ game of course. If it does poorly / averagely, then I expect the year to be split between RE2r and Sekiro with a few outlets giving an award to Disco Elysium (but nowhere near enough to get the "consensus win").

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Imagine a movie, TV series, book, or album reviewer complaining about having to go through the whole product to review it.
Imagine any of those things taking upwards of 30+ hours of active tedium. If it has failed that much as a game, then that's a black mark against it. A review is meant to reflect that person's experience playing to better inform audiences of what they're getting into. Standard players quit games that bore them all the time, so his opinion of it is that it's not worth picking up because it's too boring to play.

Imagine trying to call Edge unprofessional because they don't want to smell Kojima's farts for another 10+ hours of their life.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
What on earth... can't watch for a while but isn't he positive on the game? That line sounds like actual, legitimate torture.

Either way, it's a great line, lol.

At the same time though, roasted brussel sprouts and asparagus with a squeeze of lemon juice? Hell yes, sign me up.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.

Ok. This video completely sold me on the game. And I'm now very thankful that Death Stranding exists, because without it, this very epic one-hour Tim Rogers review would not.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

Why is this thing so hillarously long lol. I guess this is what happens when there's nobody to tell Kojima no. 80 hours???

For better or worse, ever since Peace Walker, Kojima like the idea of having his game mission based where they can easily adjust mission parameter and present is as new mission.

In context of Death Stranding, they can make infinite amount of side mission by just making you deliver item to different locations.

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kojimas sah his bro's Nicolas Winding Refn making a TV show and thought "I can do that!" "I can get the same reviews!"

Bish_Bosch

Apr 30, 2018
Imagine any of those things taking upwards of 30+ hours of active tedium. If it has failed that much as a game, then that's a black mark against it. A review is meant to reflect that person's experience playing to better inform audiences of what they're getting into. Standard players quit games that bore them all the time, so his opinion of it is that it's not worth picking up because it's too boring to play.

Imagine trying to call Edge unprofessional because they don't want to smell Kojima's farts for another 10+ hours of their life.

Regardless of how the game is maybe if we want gaming to be taken seriously as a artform we should dial back the smelling farts discourse?

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I don't understand the line of thinking that someone can't form an opinion on something unless they've experienced it all. As if what they've experienced isn't part of the product to begin with, you must force yourself to slog through it all!

ZeroNr

Oct 20, 2019
Gears of War 5 - 84
The Outer Worlds - 85
Death Stranding - 84

Funny how they're all at a similar meta rating. I wonder if (consensus) GOTY really could go to RE2R or Sekiro.

Gears 5 - 6 10s
The outer worlds - 6 10s
DS - 13 10s
RE 2 - 13 10s
Sekiro - 4 10s

Edit: added both ps4 and xbox for outer worlds

Last edited:

malcolmx

Banned
May 20, 2018
I'm a bit surprised it's that high but as I've been saying it looks great graphically, narratively, and art direction wise but that's all? Looks like a technical achievement but not enough to be worth playing.

Seems complaints of repetitive missions reflects that.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Fucking hell, I didn't even intend to pick this up Day 1 or anything but yet I'm still incredibly torn and invested in this review drama this morning somehow haha

SkillUp sold me 100%, then all the shit scores and reasons for said shit scores unsold me, then the next sold me again...and the more I read this thread the more I flip-flop even harder. Stop this madness!

PS: I've never, that I know of, read or viewed a Tim Rogers review before. I don't get it. Is he sarcastically mocking the game and hates it? Is the whole thing ironic? I don't know, the description says he thinks it's great and "some kind of masterpiece" but I have no idea if that's part of the joke...?

PPS: I'm not a big review reader in general whatsoever, hence my ignorance of even Tim Rogers in case ya wonder.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
no it's not. If I'm spending 60 dollars on a game I need to be damn sure it's going to be worth it, especially with my budget these days. I don't solely base it on review or WOM, but also my own expectations. If a game reviews poorly I'd rather wait and see.

That's gotta be hard considering the divide in opinions this game has.

imo waiting for it on it to go on sale might be a better move if you're still unsure but interested. Playstation games tend to go on sale pretty quickly.

We might even get a better picture on the game once more people get their hands on it.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So... all over the board like initially thought. I'll wait for some hands on from people who's opinions I trust.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I really like the idea of traversal in itself being the core gameplay and absolutely loved MGSV's "micromanagement" but again, some people calling it downright shit, others amazing to play.
This is where I'm at, although I'm not going to cancel my preorder.

MGSV is, for me, the epitome of "busywork" done right; I loved doing stuff in that game that sounds positively dreary on paper, and I spent somewhere between 150 and 200 hours in the game, despite there being no real story to speak of. I get the feeling that a lot of people didn't enjoy the busywork and base building, though, and mostly like that game for its amazing controls and emergent stealth gameplay - the latter of which Death Stranding doesn't seem to have.

I'm pretty sure I'll love Death Stranding if the delivery and traversal gameplay can replicate that moreish, fidget-cube feeling that MGSV had. And I suspect that the people who are praising the gameplay are really praising that. But I did also really like the emergent stealth stuff in Phantom Pain, and I don't know how keenly I'm going to feel its absence here.

I need to find out for myself, basically.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Gears 5 - 6 10s
The outer worlds - 1 10
DS - 13 10s
RE 2 - 13 10s
Sekiro - 4 10s

That's actually really interesting analysis. So more people absolutely loved Death Stranding, but the polarising nature in some of it's harsher reviews brought the average down in a bigger way.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Luigi's Mansion - 86

GOTY
Between AC, SMM2, Fire Emblem Three Houses, LM3 and presumably SwSh, Nintendo really batted a high average in a year that didn't see many ~90 MC games but I kinda doubt any of them would win any awards since they're not exactly built to be displayed for "prestige". I think RE2 is gonna sweep, or an indie.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Very exciting that a game that truly tries to do something different (and succeeding based on MC and review write-ups!) has such a large budget and is the big holiday exclusive for a major platform. Have taken Friday off next week solely for this. Looking forward to asynchronously forge paths with you all. Let's science the hell out of those environments.
Agree with all of this.

Remarkable result overall given some of the lower scores and the kind of game it is throughout. Sometimes innovation has a cost - glad to see people appreciating this for what it does new and what that signifies going forwards.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
That's gotta be hard considering the divide in opinions this game has.

imo waiting for it on it to go on sale might be a better move if you're still unsure but interested. Playstation games tend to go on sale pretty quickly.

We might even get a better picture on the game once more people get their hands on it.

That's what I just said? Wait until people get their hands on it, don't roll the dice at 60 dollars. when a game is divisive you're literally saying some like it some don't. If I spend 60 dollars on something and don't like it what a waste... that same game will be 20-30 dollars within the next year,or I can simply rent or borrow it if I'm unsure. Unfortunately people DO have budgets, and a million other games coming out over the next few months.