• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 29, 2017
Australia
**watches the IGN video review**

Nope. Not touching this one. It looks straight up bad. I'm actually surprised they gave it a 6.8. It sounded/looked more like a 4.0.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
GS5Mx3E.jpg

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
A bit higher than my 81 meta prediction. In other words, it's not a masterpiece but it's still solid. Either way, it's great for a first effort on an entirely new IP, working on a new engine, as a new studio. And with only 80 devs too.

Isn't it closer to 150 devs?

Ans some of y'all are wild for thinking this would be above 90.

It's a courier sim, it looked divisive from it's very first showing and only got more so with every new showing. That it's in the 80s in damn impressive.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea. 80 hours seems insane to me. Maybe it felt like 80 hours to them because they thought it was boring? Lol.
Does it have a lot cutscenes and story as you play? Or is it like mgs5 where most of the cutscenes are at the beginning and end of the game with not much in between?

If the story keeps me constantly interested I can look past the gameplay

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Seriously though. I think we need to play this to figure it out ourselves. A divisive title like this will be a love or hate thing.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
We don't provide a platform for Skill Up and its affiliates here

Last edited by a moderator:

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Considering it's a divisive game, an 84 is mighty impressive. Would really be 95+ if it wasn't divisive.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
The most weird take I've seen in review, is the "there's 3 title card and 2 credit" and that means Kojima is full of himself. I don't get that take at all. Nier automata has 3 title cards too and 5 credits. Never heard platinum games or Yoko taro were full of themselves. Honestly I read some review as htitpieces.

Dec 2, 2017
I'm 100% down for this. I read very little to avoid spoilers, or even avoid too much non-spoiler foreknowledge, but it sounds really interesting. I love "boredom" in games - long quiet periods, simple goals with complicated solutions, stuff like that. Plus I also love sort of weird feeling character controls, like Red Dead Redemption 2, where it's possible to slip and fall down a hill. Sounds like a game I'm going to love.

I take forever to finish open world games because I like to just stroll around. I don't think I've ever played a walking simulator I didn't like (though I was weirdly a lot cooler on Journey than most).

I have no idea from those reviews if I'll like this though. MGS 3 & 4 finally got me over the hump on Kojima philosophizing, there was enough good in there with the silliness and hit-you-over-the-head obviousness to make it worth my while. When I read that review complaining about the game making them sit with themselves for 3 minutes, that just sounds like an immature person to me.

On the other hand, I just flat out quit on MGS V after around 20 hours or so. It felt like something that was trying to set me up to spend 100 hours with it and its massive list of tasks, and it just felt onerous. The general gameplay loop just wasn't doing it for me. On the plus side the controls in that game and (especially) Peace Walker were a huge leap ahead of his other games. Older MGS & ZoE games felt like you were operating a crane or something instead of a capable avatar. So I don't know where DS will sit on that curve if people are complaining about it.

This seems like something I have to try for myself.

Bish_Bosch

Apr 30, 2018
I don't buy these comparisons to "boring"-yet-great films. How many of these films are over 40 hours long?

I mean I have watched a lot of slow films that are in fact over 10 hours. There are also some quite important documentaries that get above 8 hours(the works of Wang Bing for example).

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I'm always down for some 'weirdness' and really don't mind games that can be considered to have a slower pace, as long as they have at least one thing that I find compelling about them.

I'm probably not going to be able to get at launch so I'll probably going to wait for the PC version which are normally better priced over here. Hope everyone that does play it enjoy it.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I expected 84:

But I didn't think the game can receive more than 40 scores of 9s and 10s.
It seems Death Stranding isn't as divisive as I thought. It's more like a great game with some low scores, when you consider these:
100 (outstanding): 13 reviews
90 to 99 (really good, great to amazing): 28 reviews
80 to 89 (good, great): 17 reviews
60 to 80 (mediocre to good): 12 reviews
< 60 (bad): 1 review
57% of scores are 90 and above. Also 81% of scores are 80 or better. Not THAT divisive in my opinion.

This is ignoring all the reviews that don't give a score like Koraku and Ars Techa who were fairly negative, along with places like Edge who normally do give a score, but can't due to the embargo or won't because they hate the game so much they can't be bothered to finish it.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
Does it have a lot cutscenes and story as you play? Or is it like mgs5 where most of the cutscenes are at the beginning and end of the game with not much in between?

If the story keeps me constantly interested I can look past the gameplay
From what I gathered so far cutscenes are somewhat frontloaded and become less frequent as the game goes on.

soundtrack

Oct 28, 2017
You know what?

84 is a damn good score.

Outer worlds got roughly the same score and everyone is fawning over it.
Not to discount that comparison, but a lot of the "positive" reviews I've read/watched don't match up with their score. Easy Allies' 8 reads more like a 6 to me since they admit a lot of flaws in the core gameplay, occasionally praising its good ideas.

Jingo

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Some reviewers paint this as a david cage game.
I just dont like one thing and confirmed my fears, boring gameplay.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
The Kinda Funny podcast about this game is a good mix of people who were both hot and cold on it. If nothing else, this game is providing some interesting discussion.

GreenEarth

alt account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
You know what?

84 is a damn good score.

Not to mention that it's 84 because metacritic is a weighted average weighing big sites like the low IGN score with more weight than other sites. On opencritic it's at 86, which is a simple average of all their posted scores.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested in this game - such division almost works better than across the board positivity; people want to see what all the controversy is about. But my number one fear is turning out to be true: that the Arthouse, walking sim approach isnt justified with a fantastic, thoughtful story.

I think I'll watch some kind of let's play on YouTube, and get Luigi's mansion instead.

Certainly an intriguing situation. I do wonder if many of those perfect reviews are just giving Kojima the benefit of the doubt. This is the kind of game that you can want it to be a 10/10 so badly that you convince yourself it is one, even if deep down you didn't like it much. The dangers of hype cycles I guess..

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Sounds like my kind of game. Micromanaging equipment and hiking around beautiful environments with some combat sprinkled in.

I can definitely see why it might turn some people off from it though.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
You know what?

84 is a damn good score.

So did Gears. Reviewers are more critical now, in some ways that's good, in others it's frustrating as their written review doesn't always match up with their score.

We need to move to post score reviews as soon as possible.

Castia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Knew this one would be controversial. It looks so pretentious it's off putting.

Not a bad score by any means but they was clearly going for more than 'not bad', they wanted this to be a masterpiece.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
Is that supposed to be a positive or a negative?
I'm saying it's a nonsense argument to use the "films can be boring yet great" argument as well as the "yeah but they aren't that long" counter. Neither apply to this game it seems to me. The game apparently requires a lot of attention and input to function properly, you're not staring at the screen holding the stick forward til you arrive so it's by nature more engaging than a boring movie.

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Trolling, Ignoring the Staff Post
Knew this game would be trash

sounds like it might even be worse than Days Gone

Sony had a terrible year in exclusives output

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Reviews are a lot better than I thought and definitely not divisive (based on metacritic scores breakdown). Still one of the lowest scored Kojima games but to be fair, building a studio from scratch and developing an AAA game in about 3 years is almost impossible these days. He does need an editor though...

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Considering it's a divisive game, an 84 is mighty impressive. Would really be 95+ if it wasn't divisive.

How much lower could it be if the sites that no longer do review scores or said "we're not scoring/reviewing it but we hate it" like Edge actually gave the game a score? That argument can work both ways.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Even then he scores the game 6.8 which is a number that doesn't make sense when you read his review because game outlets use a broken scale.
I think it all comes back to number consensus. If one site decides to use the full scale in which a 6 is considered pretty good, people unfamiliar with the outlet will assume they hate the game. Unfortunately when places like a Metacritic exist it's very hard to break out of the current mindset.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Interactivity itself doesn't inherently validate time investment
It's a different engagement than I have with a film and that is why the two aren't that comparable. 40 hours of gameplay feels markedly different to me than sitting for 3 hours in a movie theater watching Meet Joe Black. Especially when most games aren't made to be played in one session.