• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
The back and forth complaining about games meeting a number consensus is why I hate review scores. The consensus isn't even important, as long as you resonate with the voice of a review and feel their thoughts may mirror you own - that's all you need to take into account. Meanwhile the confirmation bias is pathetic as always, IGN currently have more dislikes than likes from people (who haven't played the game) dropping by to express anger that IGN shared their honest opinion.

Who really cares if someone scores it low, no game is going to be for everyone. It's healthy to have a wide array of opinions

soundtrack

Oct 28, 2017
Do any reviews mention base PS4 performance? Was hoping to glean that from the DF review but they're mostly talking about engine tech.

ravnelis

Prophet of Regret
Jan 1, 2018
I love games like that. I am so glad it exists and I cannot wait to play it. I just wish it would release on PC simultaneously as I don't have a PS4 anymore. :(

Btw it's probably the first time I'm seeing a game with a number of 3/10 and 10/10 reviews at the same time. I'm curious which one it's going to be for me!

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys! I'm unable to read reviews for a while... Can anybody at least tell me what's the most consistent negative(s) and how's the gameplay and exploration?

In a couple of words would suffice.

Thanks!

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The back and forth complaining about games meeting a number consensus is why I hate review scores. The consensus isn't even important, as long as you resonate with the voice of a review and feel their thoughts may mirror you own - that's all you need to take into account. Meanwhile the confirmation bias is pathetic as always, IGN currently have more dislikes than likes from people (who haven't played the game) dropping by to express anger that IGN shared their honest opinion.

Who really cares if someone scores it low, no game is going to be for everyone. It's healthy to have a wide array of opinions

Bang on! great post

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I expected 84:

It doesn't matter for me and will buy the game in any situation, but I predict 84, with lots of 9s, 10s and 5s, 6s.

But I didn't think the game can receive more than 40 scores of 9s and 10s.
It seems Death Stranding isn't as divisive as I thought. It's more like a great game with some low scores, when you consider these:
100 (outstanding): 13 reviews
90 to 99 (really good, great to amazing): 28 reviews
80 to 89 (good, great): 17 reviews
60 to 80 (mediocre to good): 12 reviews
< 60 (bad): 1 review
57% of scores are 90 and above. Also 81% of scores are 80 or better. Not THAT divisive in my opinion.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
Do any reviews mention base PS4 performance? Was hoping to glean that from the DF review but they're mostly talking about engine tech.

Digital Foundry noted that the base PS4 runs rock-solid 30fps for the most part with minor dips to 28-29fps during a few sections in the game. So yeah 1080p/30fps just like Horizon Zero Dawn.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird to call the game as being a fetch quest with its negative connotation when the whole gameplay was designed around the fact that delivering items requires a whole lot more game mechanics than go there, maybe combat, come back. Like route planning, inventory management, dealing with unforseen obstacles, wear and tear AND possible combat. But that's just me.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Yes I do get the slow burn aspect of RDR2's story. But the whole Dutch''s "We will find another way" in mission after mission got repetitive as hell.
I mean that's sorta the point. You are supposed to get increasingly disillusioned with Dutch as he desperately doubles down on a life style that just isn't working out for you and your friends. That doesn't indicate poor pacing as the story is paced excellently and the situations, while always defaulting to shooting, always differ in some way. RDR2 has more set pieces in it than any other game this gen, (to the detriment of the player's agency even). and that's how it manages to resonate with people and keep them from getting bored.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Man, the bike traversal over the environment in that giantbomb quick look looks bad?
Still can't over the fact that they are out there trying to deliver a fucking pizza lol

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Great post, thank you Jonneh.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes I do get the slow burn aspect of RDR2's story. But the whole Dutch''s "We will find another way" in mission after mission got repetitive as hell.
haha yeah, you're not wrong about that

I mean that's sorta the point, is for you to get increasingly disillusioned with Dutch as he desperately doubles down on a life style that just isn't working out for you and your friends.
and yeah, this is true as well

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
I guess this is more or less what I expected, though I feel a little better about waiting for the PC release now, I feel like I need to evaluate this game on my own.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Slightly higher than I expected (low 80s), but like about 30k people predicted it'll be a bit all over the place, but mostly positive.

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
How did some people take 80 hrs? What could they have possibly have done to get double the playtime as you?

I have no idea. 80 hours seems insane to me. Maybe it felt like 80 hours to them because they thought it was boring? Lol.

Well, not really but I guess it's a mechanic intended to support the connection theme rather than just a help. Paved roads sound huge actually. Anyway I read your whole review after posting btw, thanks a lot for the translation!
It didn't sound like a 9,5 to me though, with the talk of confusing storyline down the road and all that but I guess it's a highly subjective score based on the impact it left on you personally :)

Do you think the traversal/delivery/gameplay enjoyment depends much on taking it competitively with yourself and new items depend much on landing good delivery scores or even farming deliveries (if that's even possible)?

Also, did you at least try on a base ps4 or have the possibility, to comment on that version iq/performance or even showcase some screens?

Thank you very much again for doing this :)

PS: I'm really torn on keeping my 49,90€ preorder or wait some months. I just purchased an xbox one x and I'm not rich but some of the things I've seen in the game really appeal to me, while others put me way off...

Well just because its a 9.5 doesn't mean I have to only praise the game. I try to be very analytical in what a game does with me. Still, thanks for reading the entire review!

As for your questions:

Do you think the traversal/delivery/gameplay enjoyment depends much on taking it competitively with yourself and new items depend much on landing good delivery scores or even farming deliveries (if that's even possible)?
New items that make your life easier have a lot to do with the amount of (side)missions you do, not so much the quality of your delivery. The enjoyment you get out of it depends on how invested you get in the game world and the things going on. I mean, I loved that I was getting a better 'delivery boy'. What do you mean with farming deliveries? You can have an almost endless supply of side-deliveries to do, yes.

Also, did you at least try on a base ps4 or have the possibility, to comment on that version iq/performance or even showcase some screens?
No, sorry, only played on a PS4 Pro.

Man, the bike traversal over the environment in that giantbomb quick look looks bad?
Still can't over the fact that they are out there trying to deliver a fucking pizza lol

Bike traversal is kinda tricky, driving with a truck is much better.

As far as the pizza go, I was laughing when I got that mission, just the banality of it. Is Kojima really going to make me deliver a pizza? Yes he is, lol. I would have liked it to not be spoiled actually.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea if I will love or hate this game but these reviews mean I have to play it.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
The thing is, it may very well be that a game can be really engaging without being consistently exciting. Reviewers like the one at IGN might even agree with this. But he's saying that not only is it not consistently exciting, it's really downright boring. It's not engaging, in other words. There's the example of doing something as simple as quick traveling and how incredibly, unnecessarily tedious it is. There's nothing engaging about that.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The 3's seem to be written out of spite considering literally broken games don't even get 3's

There's only one 3, which is a major outlier, but from the meta quote it does sound like the author is angry or annoyed about the fact that Kojima was given funding for his game, and/or resentful about it being referred to as art.

"Death Stranding is an irredeemable piece of garbage that should serve as a warning to publishers who give developers carte blanche to create 'art'."

I'm not even able to read the full review as their site is down. Oh well.

Bigjig

Jun 4, 2018
I think I'm going to get it. I'm still not sure whether I'll love it or hate it, but I'm sure it will prompt some kind of reaction out of me, which is a lot more than I can say for some games

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Good reviews; higher than I expected (guessed 83, is 86 right now). Going by my main man, Ben Moore of Easy Allies, this game is not for me. I hope everyone who are excited still have a great time and have their expectations satisfied. I will most likely just watch the movie on youtube at a later date. What I still don't understand is that both Sam Bridges and Norman Reedus exist in this world as separate entities and no one seems to take notice of that. I prefer when the media I consume don't recognize conflicting media, but that might just be me

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Watched the DF video, game looks stunning. I'm skipping it for now and I will pick it up on a sale down the line, probably on PC.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I still have no idea what to make of this - on the one hand, the gameplay sounds like I might enjoy it. But by now, the storytelling seems to be a lot more like an even more over the top mgs2 instead of 1 or 3 and that's not something I enjoy too much.

Since I'm waiting for the PC version either way, I might as well have a look at a let's play to get a better impression.

Right now the Giant Bomb quicklook was ridiculous for example in the way they had to constantly cut in and out of the game to not go over 20 minutes.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
I hope you have a great time! Although I'm a bit corcerned we're going to see some character assassinations, a fallacy like some critics "just want games to not move the medium forward" IMO if if someone wants games to push the medium forward and be more artistic, appreciate art is going to have critics who have their own views of it.
Of course people will pull out all sorts of offenses and defenses to validate their opinion. But there are some adults sbout who are secure enough in their own capabilities to know and judge what they like fairly and maybe take criticism as an opportunity for self reflection instead of an attack on their taste. Not the majority though ;)

soundtrack

Oct 28, 2017
Digital Foundry noted that the base PS4 runs rock-solid 30fps for the most part with minor dips to 28-29fps during a few sections in the game. So yeah 1080p/30fps just like Horizon Zero Dawn.
If you're referring to the end of their video, they're showing PS4 Pro footage (at least that's what I'm assuming). They said they were only examining the PS4 Pro version for Part 1, and a more detailed analysis is coming later.

imapioneer

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for improving the Decima engine at least, can't wait to see how Horizon 2 looks. I'll pass on this

ZeroNr

Oct 20, 2019
Some reviewer reactions are hilarious but not in the way they're intended to be. A few of them are bored out of their minds with their jobs and jaded with video games and an AAA one comes along challenging them (by being boring occasionally on the surface apparently) and they completely mock it.
Yeah. Wonder why we have infinite Calls of Duty and Assassins creeds.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Is it true that you can fail 40 minutes in sidequest just because your cargo got touched by enemy?
Sounds grueling.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I don't buy these comparisons to "boring"-yet-great films. How many of these films are over 40 hours long?

Citizen Kane sure felt like forty hours.

This post made no sense.

They are saying that you can sometimes tell a story with less. In the case of Kojima, he would end up taking the same story, and adding in a bunch of extraneous filler that doesn't actually enhance the story or experience, but instead drags it out.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Even then he scores the game 6.8 which is a number that doesn't make sense when you read his review because game outlets use a broken scale.

Shakerovic

Apr 26, 2019
Good reviews, i wanted it to be 90+ but 80-85 is what i expected

i just hope all the walking and micromanagement stuff isn't that boring when i play the game

bud

Oct 27, 2017
kind of sounds like the game would've fared better if the opening hours had been trimmed down.

kojima needs an editor of some sorts.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
F**k just wasted 180£ on a collector of a pile of steaming s**t 85 meta game, sad days ahead :(

84!

To be honest I haven't played it yet, just thought there was a good buzz for it. Maybe it's a Dragon Age 3 situation where's it's a decent game, gets GOTY and it's forgotten quickly, in comparison to the Witcher 3, released a summer later.

Its not. Outer Wilds its a brilliant game, well made, polished as hell, and incredibly written. Its not supposed to be an sprawling open world RPG and that is fine.