• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bish_Bosch

Apr 30, 2018
? it IS a walking simulator, in the most literal sense. Most of the game mechanics are tied to traversing and overcoming obstacles.

But the walking simulator genre isnt about traversal? Gone Home is about exploring a confined space and a lot of the Walking Sim genre is more about audiologs so the comparison isn't really that accurate.

Slushimi

Oct 30, 2017
this sounds oddly like a more expansive version of journey.
Such a shame for what had the potential to be something amazing. It looked like Kojima wanted to make a movie inside a game, and used the gameplay as an artistic impression without giving much thought if it would be fun to play.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
This list is really off. I loved Disco Elysium but it's not winning any GOTY award, maybe from some PC-only small website. And DMC5 even with the good Metacritic is not the kind of game that wins GOTYs. RE2 will be, maybe some Sekiro and some Nintendo game (FE and LM3 mostly).
I'd say that if this was 2017 or 2018, Disco Elysium wouldn't win GOTY (see Divinity: Original Sin 2 vs Persona 5 in 2017), but it reviewed really well, and this year's been quite weak - greatly increasing its chances of getting a major award.

I can't see any other games other than the five that I listed that I think would get a significant amount of GOTY awards. Every other game either didn't review too well (Death Stranding, Outer Worlds and Luigi's Mansion 3 reviewed pretty well, but a game with an 85 Metascore being the consensus GOTY would be unprecedented), or didn't have enough staying power to win many GOTY awards (Mario Maker 2, Astral Chain).
It's trending upwards on opencritic (86 now), so I don't think meta will go from 84 that it is now down to 80.
I'd say that at best, Death Stranding will settle at 87, assuming that the rest of the reviews average around 95.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
43-C58931-1-EAC-4295-9-FF7-01-A747385-F84.jpg

I have found a good math exercice for teachers.

"Considering an average result based on 71 reviews, find how many 8 and 9 would be needed to negate a 3."

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Some reviews are embarassing. The fact that journalists and people want that all games have be "fun to play" is what keep videogames a second tier medium. Basically they want the videogame to be always a toy in the hands of a child.
I'm not planning to buy the game and can''t comment on its quality but you can defend any old crap by saying it's artistic. I'm sure some people said critics were too immature to appreciate Only God Forgives or Guy Ritchie's Revolver.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Some reviews are embarassing. The fact that journalists and people want that all games have be "fun to play" is what keep videogames a second tier medium. Basically they want the videogame to be always a toy in the hands of a child.
What's embarrassing about people wanting their entertainment to be entertaining?

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC
""As the credits roll on Death Stranding, heavy with unearned pathos, the impression you're left with is of a self-congratulatory monument to the ego of a creator who is high on his own supply. Has Kojima always been this full of it? Maybe""

exactly my take

That's reality slapping you in the face right there ...

A little humble pie never hurt anybody.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'd say that if this was 2017 or 2018, Disco Elysium wouldn't win GOTY (see Divinity: Original Sin 2 vs Persona 5 in 2017), but it reviewed really well, and this year's been quite weak - greatly increasing its chances of getting a major award.

I'd put an outside bet on it winning a BAFTA or two, since they often go for the less obvious picks.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe both of you have internet problems? I always played 1vs1 with no lag but now even 4 player works for me with no lag

Its not just the lag, of which there's an innately crummy netcode stacked on top of a buffering system that's present even in local play.
Everything about the matchmaking, the ranking system, the baffling decision to disable taunts, Arenas completely shutting down when the maker leaves(or ragequits) etc etc is dogshit even by Japanese fighting game standards, which are already notoriously lackluster.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017

Not everyone wants to play games that aren't 'fun', or watch films that aren't 'entertaining', and I think that's fine.

Personally I really enjoy games and other media that are more toned towards an experience rather than pure fun or entertainment, but I can certainly understand why some feel the way they do about this game and their opinions aren't really invalid.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I feel like if you removed Kojima's name from this game the average review score would be a point lower than it is right now. Nothing about this game sounds fun to me. The word tedious doesn't just come to mind, it screams out from the impressions I've seen.

Kojima is a very talented person, and I think he's incredibly skilled at crafting a trailer, but for me to want the play a video game I have to find the gameplay engaging and enjoyable.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Ohhh...and another key thing. The soundtrack.

It's stunningly good on all fronts. Perfect blend of original music and licensed tracks. Just superb.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, this needs to be heard more.

While that is true, I think that post also misses the mark. The difference is budget and this very significant. In any field of life, creative experimentation tends to get reduced as you increase the scale of the operation. Most indy games are much smaller scale and not cumbered by the same expetitions of something of this profile and budget. That is not in anyway to degrade what they are doing - most experimentation is being done by indy devs. But it is not really comparible. Let's see if some of those devs who acquire budgets way beyond the indy level demonstrate the same amount of creative daring. maybe they will. But tons of examples of say movie directors who have done crazy student products, that go on to produce some of the most commercially designed directed by committee movies like Avengers Infinity War

CollectedDust

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
I don't recall ever canceling a preorder after hearing review impressions. This might be the first time.

I was listening to the Beastcast; harsh to say the least. I'm not sure I want to play what was referred to as American Trucking Simulator directed by Kojima.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Who gets the credit for that then though? If the exciting part is more production value and placement, it sounds like the credit is belonging to Sony for paying the cheque rather than the game itself.
I'm not sure why this matters? Both parties deserve credit. This game doesn't exist at this scale without Sony and the game doesn't exist in this form without Kojima Productions.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe, I don't know. It's not about Death Stranding in particular, they just look like grumpy old reviewers (no offense I hope).

They tend to give off that vibe, but they latch onto weird stuff regularly as well — like with Deadly Premonition 2 recently. I definitely disagree with them more often than not, but I can usually also get why they don't like something. Sometimes they're just flat out wrong about things though :')

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like Kojima is aiming to be the Kubrick, Malick or Arososky of video games. The gameplay sounds like it would bore me to years but I hope other people enjoy it.
"Death Stranding's helix of cinema and game contains about as much Tarkovsky and slowness as one could possibly cram into a game before making it a certifiably bad game" - Tim Rogers
Tarkovsky being the director I am most often mindblown by in his deliberateness and commitment to his style and frankly, absolute, undeniable genius, one could not praise the cinematic quality of a videogame any higher than with these words. And I'm sure it would have a lot of players scrambling for the hills, far far away from DS if they had any idea about the type of movies he made.

Yasamuu

Oct 28, 2017
Big fan of the review summary which whinges about Kojima being up his own ass and in the very next sentence complains about the full list of credits being rolled twice.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
funny how some people seem to think this score is going to disappoint kojima, kojipro and sony

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Such a shame for what had the potential to be something amazing. It looked like Kojima wanted to make a movie inside a game, and used the gameplay as an artistic impression without giving much thought if it would be fun to play.
oh agree to disagree, i got plenty of fun games to play.

this sounds like an weird experience which only comes one in a blue moon.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
There's a distinct difference between a game not being traditionally "fun" (think something like Papers, Please) but making its point succinctly while still being contemplative and honoring its oppressive tone vs. a game asking you to put in 30 hours "to get to the good part"

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I mean, yeah, the indie space is always more diverse...
and that's why it's so good that DS exists.

the AAA space doesn't get many games like this, and there should be more like it.

Oh, I definitely agree, it making it to the safe space of AAA is cool thing I welcome with open arms, and that's pretty dope and I hope is the start of more weird and risky games making it to the mainstream. But I'll still side-eye anyone trying to pretend Kojima is being a genius for making a weird artsy conceptual unique game and that he's the first one to do so, while, technically, he really really isn't. What he has over those other indie game devs is the money, funds, hype and popularity. But genius conceptual creativity? No, that's absolutely not brand new in the video game industry, for sure.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game has had me thinking on the "games have to be fun argument". I vehemently disagree games have to be fun, but they like every piece of art, they do have to be engaging. You can be engaging in games in several different ways. Mechanics, story, lore, world exploration. I can see how Death Stranding is engaging, even if it may not be for me.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
You know, the real balancing act of making art, is making sure people want to consume your art. You can make an amazing movie, it's just shots of people sighing, I'm gonna tell you - People are going to find it tedious even in the most art-house theaters. The game should be "fun to play" in the same way movies should be "pleasing to watch", they don't have to be so throughout, and they can delve into hard stuff, but if the overall experience is bad, people won't consume it at all.
Also, Death Stranding is not the first game to not put "fun" on the pedestal, so I don't think that's all there is to it.
That said, I would like to try DS eventually, but I'll be frank - I'm going to wait for a while. I love experimental games, I don't like games that utterly waste my time, and it seems like DS does that quite a bit.

Cookie Dough

Oct 29, 2017

I don't know, I just think there's humour in a B-tier usually under the radar Nintendo game that released close to the hype train that was ~Kojima Unleashed~ getting a higher Metacritic score.

Yes I know Metacritic scores actually mean nothing, it's just something that made me chuckle. I'll still be getting Death Stranding whatever its score was.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
What's embarrassing about people wanting their entertainment to be entertaining?
People keep forgetting that these are games and not movies.
I'll gladly sit through a "boring" yet compellingly shot and written film like Citizen Kane any day of the week.

And yet there are so many games that expect me to sit through 30+ hours of whatever to reach the point they're trying to make.
It's nuts.

Bish_Bosch

Apr 30, 2018
Schindler's List is engaging every step of the way.

If a movie is actively wanting to elicit boredom, that movie has failed.

But there are classic films that try to evoke a sense of repetition and drudgery. Bela Tarr's The Turin Horse, Haneke's The White Ribbon, and Imamura's The Insect Woman for example.

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
Ohhh...and another key thing. The soundtrack.

It's stunningly good on all fronts. Perfect blend of original music and licensed tracks. Just superb.

Yes! To quote myself (easier than typing it all out again lol);

Being a postman in a post-apocalyptic United States is a bizar concept, but Kojima knows how to translate it to a cinematic whole that is difficult to compare to other games. When you carefully descend from a mountain towards some industrial buildings, the camera zooms out automatically and at that exact moment a bleak song from the Icelandic band Low Roar kicks in, it all comes together beautifully. Death Stranding makes a lasting, deep impression at those moments.