• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The divisiveness of this game is gonna be it's one of it's strongest selling points.

there's tons of "yeah, it's pretty good" games but
there's very few "you're either gonna love it, or you're gonna hate it" games.
Yea, I'm expecting LTTP for many years with either "masterpiece" Or "what did I just play" in the subject

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Going to be a great game in a few years to show that review score numbers are pure bullshit.Take that as you will.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
It is weird to see reviewers complain that they have to finish a game before they publish a review for it. Isn't that a given? And if its not are they disclosing in their reviews that their opinion is incomplete because they didn't finish a game?

Other Sony review embargoes prior to DS don't enforce completion of the game to publish a review. Only Death Stranding did.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The analogy is people getting paid to do their job should do their job.

Their job is to review games, finishing is not mandatory and it would be redundant if they get the picture early.

People can put as many barriers as they like between someone being entitled to publish their own work, but in the end it'll always be a matter of delaying the inevitable.

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
As someone still waiting for a code from Sony, that is relieving lmao

Don't get me wrong, its still a long game. And I certainly rushed at parts to make sure I would make the deadline (which I did surprisingly fast - my review was written a good week before the embargo ended). Its a long game with a big open world, but the main 'campaign' so to speak is def. playable in 35 to 40 hours.

Makes sense. Thank you.

No worries.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
It is weird to see reviewers complain that they have to finish a game before they publish a review for it. Isn't that a given? And if its not are they disclosing in their reviews that their opinion is incomplete because they didn't finish a game?
They are not at all subtle in hinting they think the game was just not interesting enough to finish

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
And they're doing their job, probably for less money than you could ever imagine.

Fuck's sake. It's 2019 and ya'll still think game reviewing is all wine and roses.

For what it's worth, I really appreciate it whenever I see your impressions or review pop up for some game I'm checking out on Steam -- especially the totally random indies there's little to no info about elsewhere.

Last edited:

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Nowhere near as divisive as I thought it would be. Vast majority of reviews praising it. I predicted an 83 and the game is at 85 on OC which is impressive for an experimental new IP. I figured the game would have its flaws but I'm excited to pick up next week.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Gameplay criticism is a big whoops for me...still looks likes a good game underneath but gameplay is what I was looking forward to.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I'm still extremely exited.
Yes the MC score sounds disappointing, but then I looked through each single review score and saw that there are way more extremely high review scores from sites where I actually expected disastrous ratings (Gamespot, 4Players) than sites where I expected high scores but got lows.

So I'm almost even more surprised by the good ones and really enjoy the fantastic written reviews.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
🔥🔥🔥 reviews got me hype as fuck.

Even the naysayers seem to have strong feelings towards it. At least it isn't the bland reserviced piss so many games are these days and its inspiring at least SOMETHING from everyone.

I like everything I've seen so I think I'll love it personally, can't wait to experience it myself.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So since this scored like Gears 5 is it ok to claim that Sony has lost and all shall bow down to (insert random system of choice)

That's what we usually do right?

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
It'll be interesting to see if those giving it lower scores now, will change their minds and see it as genius over time..

..or if those giving it high scores now, will look back and admit their high scores were an "emperor's new clothes" style reaction (due to it being Kojima/convincing themselves they should love it).

Could go either way.

Ulbrick

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Nottingham, England
Been listening less and less to Gb over the years (there guys just love COD, which is not my thing) and they really don't seem to like a certain story game template I like

That's why you find sites/reviews that agree with your opinions on games you already like, and then you'll be able to figure out easier if you'll "like" a newer game.

TotalBiscuit did that for me, if he liked a game I would probably like it too as we had similar tastes.

Also I think the Giant Bomb folks are into different types of games, it's just Jeff and Brad like CoD.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Dark1x I'm watching your video analysis of the game, you say it's focused on PS4 PRO. Is there anything you can say now about how the base PS4 performs?

Feb 24, 2018
Their job is to review games, finishing is not mandatory and it would be redundant if they get the picture early.

People can put as many barriers as they like between someone being entitled to publish their own work, but in the end it'll always be a matter of delaying the inevitable.
Plus as many have point out in the past, while this doesn't apply for DS, what is finished for Gaas nowadays or a game like Apex Legends or an MMO?

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Going in on 84. I was dead on for both Control and Outer Worlds this year; hoping I can carry it through for another review thread.

My DM's are open...I was thinking lottery tickets results?

I'f not I settle for the Superbowl and Champions League winners. Let's start the stranding game :P

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Ignoring Staff Post
seem like very poor work from reviewers or wanting to go with a ridiculous score of a 3 just to make a point you did not like it or giving it a 10 to say you love how artsy it is, well will be fun to hear more when it reaches the hands of more people.

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty good all things considered.

Little disappointed to hear about the combat. But I wasn't going to get Death Stranding for that anyway.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Okay so if anyone played Spider-Man 2 where you had to swing around and make sure to deliver the pizza to the customer without damaging it too much.

Imagine that gameplay mechanic but multiplied. That's kind of what I'm getting off watching some videos.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
seem like very poor work from reviewers or wanting to go with a ridiculous score of a 3 just to make a point you did not like it or giving it a 10 to say you love how artsy it is, well will be fun to hear more when it reaches the hands of more people.
The post of a person who seems like they put zero effort in to reading any of the reviews they are stereotyping.

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
Brad doesn't really like or play anything outside of RDR 2. lol

haha, and DOTA.

I feel like every hot take about GB crew is either years out of date or just based on the fact that some of the crew don't like something the poster likes and they ignore the fact that 2 other people at GB said the game was great.

DodgeAnon

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has zero tolerance for feeling bored or like my time is being disrespected in videogames, a reviewer not finishing a game through boredom after 40 hours tells me more - WAY more - than whatever they could write about the rest of the game beyond that.

I think the reviewers experience with the game should matter, and doubly so if you're talking about words like "boredom" and "after 40 hours". Damn right they should be allowed to leave a review there instead of forcing a completion.

Completely agree.

I value my time immensely and for a game that is basically a bunch of fetch quests one after the other, it gets a hard pass from me.

They're the worst types of missions in any game I find, so I couldn't think of a worse way to spend my time than to play a 40+ hour one.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
But it also has high & fulsome praise for its concept, lots of the execution, for the whole way the game approaches being a game,m.

Its almost as if it's saying 'Yeah the lows can be low, but the highs are very high, and compensate for the lows to a score of 8/10'
Fair play to them, and I don't want to risk getting banned over this game.

Enjoying listening to the giant beastcast right now for their thoughts, it's just started so I'm not sure how it's going to go.