• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Will be interesting reading this. My tastes usually align with EDGE so it'll be interesting to see what Nathan has got to say after I'm finished with the game.

B0jGZyt.png
Is this guy implying that he would have reviewed the game before finishing it if he was allowed to? Is this guy serious? Completely unacceptable if true. Sony sent the game out weeks before release (as every publisher should) and asked for the obvious.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
Yes, it is exactly that.

...but the term walking simulator was coined to describe games where you really don't do anything other than slowly peel back the layers of the story. There usually aren't mechanics outside of clicking on objects. I enjoy those types of games a lot too but Death Stranding really isn't like that.

perambulation simulator 1.000, the real walking simulator. ;)

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
this shit is incredibly hype. No other AAA game dev can do this besides Kojima.

Talking about the game at this point feels like it's already a much bigger deal than just GOTY at this point in time. It's going to be in conversation for a while
Fromsoftware with Soulsborne also comes to mind. But yes, I am also sure this game will be talked about for a while.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
TLG made me feel like the AI in the game was broken.
I did not get that impression. It felt like an ambitious videogame mechanic that could be understood and made to work reliably if the player learns about its limitations and capabilities. Someone who has not played many games and then goes into Uncharted 2 might wonder why Drake can't just climb up the train on the various handholds, but instead is guided along with color coded railings and might be disappointed by it. But players who have experience with the genre and have that degree of videogame literacy know what to expect and instead might find the setpiece direction of that scene rather thrilling. TLG did not have the benefit of gamers being familiar with AI trying to simulate a living being while simultaneously commanding it as a gameplay tool and thus expected Trico to act like a vehicle and those who learned to use the specific vocabulary of that kind of new mechanic were not as disappointed that he was not, because they understood the limitations of that approach and with some testing might even have figured out that Trico has animation priority and gets very confused by repeating commands too quickly for example, standing too close or too far, things like that. I'm not saying it's anyone's fault one way or the other, just that games get more and more complex and thus experiences can range widely especially when encountering something new.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Trolling, ignoring the staff post
Here's a hot take. Metascore is still too high because many Kojima fanboy reviews are propping the score up. Too soon?

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
To be honest if you got the game as early as some of us did - like 3 weeks ago - its more than enough time to play through it. Its strange that the embargo mentioned it, sure, but a game like this with such a story is better to finish before writing the review anyway.

Here's a hot take. Metascore is still too high because many Kojima fanboy reviews are propping the score up. Too soon?

How about no? I can only hope the reviews weren't written by 'fanboys'. Myself, I didn't care for MGS5. Only game I truly loved from Kojima was the first MGS.

Oct 25, 2017
Few film critics walking out of a movie doesn't make it any more professional so to speak. I find it staggering how anyone in a job can publish a piece without fully digesting the said piece/topic they are working on. In this case, a video game or a film.

I'm sorry, but I disagree with you on that one. It's not fair to formulate an opinion (for a professional critic/reviewer) on any entertainment product without absorbing them in their entirety, no matter the length.
I mean yeah we're just going to have to agree to disagree then because I find that an utterly insane position to take.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, I just think a reviewer that says "I can't finish this" isn't a reviewer I would ever put much stock into. Unless it was a case of the game being too dificult, not because they were bored. Geuss what work is boring sometimes, for many people most of the time.

You're essentially arguing for someone to waste hours confirming a conclusion they already came to.

It's understandable in theory, but in execution it's worthless.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
Divisive globally, but my boys at Gamekult gave it a 9. Needless to say I value their opinion more than the rest of the press combined (sadly).

Still hopeful I will like it!

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alex Navarro "He has never sounded dumber being up his own ass." Made me laugh out loud. Regardless, my tastes tend to align with he and Vinny so I'd probably like Death Stranding some amount, but Kojima beating the player over the head with metaphors he thinks are deeper than they are sounds so painful.

Deleted member 8674

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is just dumb. They played the game for 40 hours and hated it. They should be able to convey that in a review every bit as much as the person who played to the end.

Literally all this does is inflate the aggregate by eliminating every reviewer who didn't like the game enough to finish.

They played 40 hours out of what? What if the last 10 hours are the best of the game? They gave outlets enough time to finish the game. Don't encourage their incompetence. Finishing the game should be the bare minimum or don't call it a review.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

I can't even tell who's trolling or not with this "Kojima fanboy" and "Kojima cult" nonsense in this thread.

My eyelids are getting heavy so I'm going to bed. Anti-Kojima people can have their fun, I guess.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Well my friend loathed MGSV (only liked how smooth the controls were) and he found DS much more interesting overall.
If you are looking for Kojima's technobabble and exposition which was lacking in MGSV, here it is full force.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Literally all this does is inflate the aggregate by eliminating every reviewer who didn't like the game enough to finish.

If anything with a game this long, it's also going to lower the floor because the people who hate it are really gonna hate it if they feel like they have to slog through 60 hours of it to review it.

ZeroNr

Oct 20, 2019
Shit is all over the place. Its very hard to know who is right about this. One say masterpiece, other say crap. One say great transversal and systems, other say weak and boring gameplay. Great story. Pretensious.

The joker movie showed that sometimes critics at large just have a opinion that doesnt match with the public. Maybe for reasons unrelated to the product itself. Will need to play to see. But i find very, very hard that the gameplay is bad. Probably just diferent.

Moz La Punk

Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
They played 40 hours out of what? What if the last 10 hours are the best of the game? They gave outlets enough time to finish the game. Don't encourage their incompetence. Finishing the game should be the bare minimum or don't call it a review.

Kinda agree with this one. And usually Im on the side of nothing having to play through a game all the way. But in this case its best to do so.

civet

Jul 6, 2019
France
Fairly good reviews overall. Quite what I was hoping for, the game seems right up my alley. Just have to wait for the 8th now!

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
You're essentially arguing for someone to waste hours confirming a conclusion they already came to.

Sure it may not change anything in the end, but it speaks volumes about your level of professionalism. What is the difference between a hobbyist review, and a professional one if they aren't held to a certain standard? In the end it just comes down to what you value in a review.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How about no? I can only hope the reviews weren't written by 'fanboys'. Myself, I didn't care for MGS5. Only game I truly loved from Kojima was the first MGS.
But come on now, reputable places like Giant Bomb and Easy Allies aren't very happy with the game, whereas sites like TheSixAxis and PushSquare give it a perfect score. Can it get any more obvious?

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017

People who are paid to do reviews, or earn money doing it, it is hardly an honorous task relative to the work most other people actually have to do...

Moz La Punk

Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
Yes I've read their earlier post detailing the incident with the truck. That sort of stuff is definitely fun. I'm worried though about cases like IGN describing climbing up a mountain for an hour.

Climbing a mountain for an hour... there are some moments in the game were you indeed have a long trek ahead of you. But thats the challenge, and I found it fun and fulfilling. Kinda comparing it to surviving in the wilderness, you know, in real life, doing hikes and what not.

But come on now, reputable places like Giant Bomb and Easy Allies aren't very happy with the game, whereas sites like TheSixAxis and PushSquare give it a perfect score. Can it get any more obvious?

Eh, I don't know. I gave it a 9.5 and I write for Gamer.nl, which is one the biggest gaming sites in this country. So does that mean I'm part of 'the obvious'? Or perhaps this game really makes a lasting impression on some people. Maybe this game is fantastic for some, and not so fantasic for others? Is such a thing even possible? Why yes, yes it is.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
Tons of 9s and 10s and really good average meta. Not bad for a divisive walking simulator :P
Hopefully I'll be in the camp of those really liking it next week. Gameplay is really peculiar and if something doesn't click I can understand the critics.

Oct 25, 2017
Sure it may not change anything in the end, but it speaks volumes about your level of professionalism. What is the difference between a hobbyist review, and a professional one if they aren't held to a certain standard? In the end it just comes down to what you value in a review.
you're literally just making up random shit to try and establish some validity for your position.

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
Is this guy implying that he would have reviewed the game before finishing it if he was allowed to? Is this guy serious? Completely unacceptable if true. Sony sent the game out weeks before release (as every publisher should) and asked for the obvious.

No, the guy is implying the game sucks so bad that no matter what happens later in the game won't sway his opinion much. But, Sony hamstrung him with the embargo requirements and therefore they are taking twitter to voice their concerns.

The MC score is only gonna go down I reckon, there are plenty who didn't finish the game on time but I would imagine the org they work for would want a review out sooner rather than later.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that's how it works. For example, I bet most reviewers didn't finish Persona 5 before writing their reviews for it, but they already went dozens of hours with it and were able to criticize the game. Some games are too big and when the person played it for several hours, they may already give honest opinions to their readers. I don't believe it's a good idea that publishers can control scores like this, Jim Sterling gave like 1/10 to Star Fox Zero and he played like only 3 missions of that and his review was still viewed as valid write up about his experience with the game ("it's so bad I dropped it at the beginning").