• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
15 minutes into the quick look, 30 hours into the game...

Brad: "ok I'm going to deliver this pizza, this is a highly technical delivery because the pizza has to be held horizontal!"

*Brad picks up the pizza by hand*

Brad: "See! It's gone vertical! My pizza is taking damage!"

Brad in menus: "oh my god, the clock is really ticking, my pizza is really taking a lot of damage."

My pizza is taking damage is one of the best quotes I've ever seen about a game.

Found it odd, and concerning that once he picked it up and the pizza went vertical he couldn't place it down horizontally again. He literally had to go through his inventory to find something that allowed him to snap it into place so it was flat. Surely he just missed how to place it down flat again, surely? Seems like a massive oversight if not.

Fucking discussing stacking pizza now

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
dFPbd10.jpg
damn thats a blurry ass picture

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite Roger Ebert review was what he wrote about the first 90 minutes of Badlands and assumed the rest.

Cant believe people are advocating completion as optional for professional reviews.
Completely agree. If playing games is your job, then you should be completing them before giving a score.

wonzo

Oct 25, 2017
Was gonna wait for PC but most of the "negatives" seem like exactly what I wanted from this so I gotta check it out ASAP now.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
I don't think the open world stuff in MGSV was great and the world itself wasn't especially interesting to explore.

The difference here is that you're weighed down by your cargo and inventory - so you really need to think about how to get it to the objective and I found the stuff that unfolds along the way interesting. The terrain itself is a challenge - I don't recall that ever being true in MGSV.
I see, I had the same issue with MGS V, that the world was pretty barren, glad that it is a little bit different with Death Stranding here.
Thank you, what would your personal score for Death Stranding be?, how did you like the boss fights?
Easy Allies said the fighting mechanics are pretty flawed and it shows in the boss fights.

oldboss

Nov 9, 2017
Watched the Digital Foundry review. It's all I ever wanted and supposed it would be. I can't wait to walk! :) Traversal as a mechanic is so appealing to me and I'm not even kidding.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Did you watch or read any review? It's basically you delivering stuff here and there in an open world while avoiding some and fighting other baddies who wanna hurt you along the way, with the occasional boss fight. It sounds a lot like the fears and memes of it being a walking simulator with more interactivity is actually becoming real.

How in the hell is this supposed to be a new genre as claimed by Godjima?

I know what the game is, I was in the spoiler thread since the beginning. What I'm saying is it doesn't fit one genre since it's a mix and match.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I want to read reviews from people who are fully informed on the totality of the game in question.

Games aren't just the sum of their parts though. It's not just about the totality. It's also about the experience along the way, which includes the parts that make some people say "I can't finish this".

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The way is the goal here? Sounds exactly what made BotW so fun for me, having my own adventures in a world. And 4Players gave it 95% - this is GotY material for me!
Just preordered!

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By the reactions I thought it was getting bad scores then I looked at metacritic

never change era
Not saying they're bad, but big AAA tentpole releases like this almost never go below 80, that would be bad. And many of the reviews themselves are very critical of the game, while a lot of people who liked it gave it 10/10. So it seems somewhat divisive for AAA standards.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
this shit is incredibly hype. No other AAA game dev can do this besides Kojima.

Talking about the game at this point feels like it's already a much bigger deal than just GOTY at this point in time. It's going to be in conversation for a while

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
Completely agree. If playing games is your job, then you should be completing them before giving a score.
Uh, disagree. We can afford 5-6 reviews from people that don't finish a game. Hell, I'd argue these reviews are as valuable as any other reviews and they are viewpoints that should not be discarded. If a high profile game can't hold the attention of these reviewers, why? Who are they? Do they have the same taste like mine? It's good for diverse viewpoints

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
This mostly just exposes the fact that you don't read a lot of film criticism, because there are absolutely examples of perfectly legitimate critics walking out of a movie before it's finished and then formulating a a critique based on the time that they spent with the product, which as long as they mention that they did not finish the work is perfectly fine.

Especially in the case of video games where the vast majority of the audience isn't going to finish it the product it's totally legitimate.

Few film critics walking out of a movie doesn't make it any more professional so to speak. I find it staggering how anyone in a job can publish a piece without fully digesting the said piece/topic they are working on. In this case, a video game or a film.

I'm sorry, but I disagree with you on that one. It's not fair to formulate an opinion (for a professional critic/reviewer) on any entertainment product without absorbing them in their entirety, no matter the length.

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
Games aren't just the sum of their parts though. It's not just about the totality. It's also about the experience along the way, which includes the parts that make some people say "I can't finish this".

Sure, I just think a reviewer that says "I can't finish this" isn't a reviewer I would ever put much stock into. Unless it was a case of the game being too dificult, not because they were bored. Geuss what work is boring sometimes, for many people most of the time.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Unless it is literally broken, that isn't an excuse.

The person who began this discussion doesn't even think they should publish a review of a game they didn't finish.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game got a good score. Congrats Kojima Productions! Keep trying to innovate and change the gaming landscape!

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite Roger Ebert review was what he wrote about the first 90 minutes of Badlands and assumed the rest.

Cant believe people are advocating completion as optional for professional reviews.
Ebert did walk out of movies on occasion. He famously walked out of Caligula about three quarters through.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Do people actually expect "good" stories from Kojima? As in deftly written, well considered stories and characters? I love his games, but the appeal of his stories is just how crazy they are and the emotions he manages to elicit.

I feel like going in expecting something...on the level of Planescape or Final Fantasy Tactics or whatever is kind of asking for disappointment. Especially considering his history of writing. Not to say his stories shouldn't be judged accordingly.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Kirk's review for VG247 is a really great write-up, very entertaining and it got me laughing fairly loud at 6am

this bit is the standout for sure

Like I said earlier, it's Icelandic – the end credits show that they shot on location in Iceland – but it's meant to be the US. It bears no resemblance at all to the US, except for how fractured it is and how it only takes 22 hours to get a gun.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Not saying they're bad, but big AAA tentpole releases like this almost never go below 80, that would be bad. And many of the reviews themselves are very critical of the game, while a lot of people who liked it gave it 10/10. So it seems somewhat divisive for AAA standards.
Yeah but I think most people expected it to be divisive

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
You don't need to have finished the game to give a review/final verdict on something. If your verdict is that you hated it so much you couldn't finish it, that's the verdict.

What's important is that you communicate that you didn't finish it.

In the case of DS, the review embargo made it clear that if you want to post your review today - you must have finished the game. Whether or not you think it's scummy to do so from Sony's end, it's part of the NDA agreement to get the review code early. Otherwise, you wait until release day.

I agree and I disagree. IMO

if you're going to review a game you didn't finish, you should clearly state you didn't finish.

however

reviews that are counted in metacritic and open critic should be for finished reviews. You can't comprehensively critique something when you didn't get the full picture.

We should all agree reviews should state whether the game was completed.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
That easy allies review, it paints a lot of the gameplay and boss fights to be mundane boring and technically weak...yet it get's an 8/10 GTFOH.

But it also has high & fulsome praise for its concept, lots of the execution, for the whole way the game approaches being a game,m.

Its almost as if it's saying 'Yeah the lows can be low, but the highs are very high, and compensate for the lows to a score of 8/10'

Last edited:

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It speaks to our ADD culture when even reviewers perceive they don't even have time to complete the products they are reviewing. I understand how job constraints work, but I also think it isn't a good thing. Even if the game is shit, if you are going to review it you should complete it. Otherwise, don't review it. it is pretty simple. Well I suppose there are exceptions where a game might take 1,000 of hours to review or may be an online rpg or some such which you can't complete in a traditonal sense.
I reckon the deadline for a reviewer for a magazine to finish it before it gets printed is much more limited than online publications.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a good thing. Bizarre ADD culture rant aside, they stick with the contract, doesnt dish out a review based on an unfinished campaign, and there is less outrage about Edge being biased and tries to be edgy by putting out a lower score for a highly anticipated game in a review thread.

Especially on the last part.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Uh, disagree. We can afford 5-6 reviews from people that don't finish a game. Hell, I'd argue these reviews are as valuable as any other reviews and they are viewpoints that should not be discarded.
You don't review a five-course meal if you walk out after the appetizer. I mean, you can, but I wouldn't take a review like that seriously.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I don't think the open world stuff in MGSV was great and the world itself wasn't especially interesting to explore.

The difference here is that you're weighed down by your cargo and inventory - so you really need to think about how to get it to the objective and I found the stuff that unfolds along the way interesting. The terrain itself is a challenge - I don't recall that ever being true in MGSV.
Hmmm, I definitely agree that MGSV's open world was largely dead at times and felt half-baked in a number of areas but it did allow the player to sandbox how to complete a particular mission. So I feel that focus on strategizing was present in MGSV but in a different way. What I'm primarily concerned about is that MGSV gave the player a lot of freedom in how to complete a mission which could result in a number of completely different situations, while here it feels a bit more restrictive. I read your earlier post so it does seem like emergent gameplay is definitely present in the game but I'm wondering how much of that is there.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
Reviews are by definition a comprehensive judgment on a piece.

If you are judging a game based on a part of the game then it's just an impression, not a review. It's still valid and noteworthy but it's not a review.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean they should finish a game before they review. If they can't finish it to review it then the responsibilty is on them. of course they don't have an onus to actually review the game. I mean imagine actually making an issue of this? I mean I don't think it should be mandated, I think it should be standard period. Otherwise, keep it as a preview. Moaning about it seems ridiculous and also unprofessional. It is kind of an implicit admittance of shody practice. Also, good to get his wifes input though. I will be looking out for Nathan Brown's wife's thoughts next time I am looking for an definitive opinion.

This is just dumb. They played the game for 40 hours and hated it. They should be able to convey that in a review every bit as much as the person who played to the end.

Literally all this does is inflate the aggregate by eliminating every reviewer who didn't like the game enough to finish.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
So any idea how this review embargo is working if you haven't 'beat' the game? Is it just about giving the game a score/grade at the end and effecting the almighty metascore?
I was listening to the Kinda Funny Death Standing review and 4 out of the 6 people haven't beat the game yet with one of them straight out given up, but they don't grade the game in their review.
I'm a bit confused.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm, I definitely agree that MGSV's open world was largely dead at times and felt half-baked in a number of areas but it did allow the player to sandbox how to complete a particular mission. So I feel that focus on strategizing was present in MGSV but in a different way. What I'm primarily concerned about is that MGSV gave the player a lot of freedom in how to complete a mission which could result in a number of completely different situations, while here it feels a bit more restrictive. I read your earlier post so it does seem like emergent gameplay is definitely present in the game but I'm wondering how much of that is there.
Look no further than Dark1x post to alleviate that fear