• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
The job is to review, not to play.

I don't need to watch the entirety of Jack & Jill to tell you it's irredeemable garbage.

While there is no technical requirement, it makes sense that by completing a book or game or film, you have a fuller basis to judge the product. I don't think this should up for debate though. You don't to review absolutely everything. It speaks to our ADD culture when even reviewers perceive they don't even have time to complete the products they are reviewing. I understand how job constraints work, but I also think it isn't a good thing. Even if the game is shit, if you are going to review it you should complete it. Otherwise, don't review it. it is pretty simple. Well I suppose there are exceptions where a game might take 1,000 of hours to review or may be an online rpg or some such which you can't complete in a traditonal sense.

Wait, are you actually suggesting that there is no value to applying standards above? surely not. The purpose of standards is to have some assurance of credibility and reliability. That someone is forming an opinion based on fairly well thought out criterion.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
In a just world, it would be. It probably didn't get played by enough people though.
Yeah, true. Just like Hollow Knight: Silksong could absolutely be a contender next year, but it won't even get a mention in amongst the Cyberpunk and FFVII storm (not that competition is bad or anything).

For me, nothing has even come close to Outer Wilds this year.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad DS is generating so much conversation regardless of what people think of its overall quality. I'm not that thrilled that there doesn't appear to be a lot of "Game" to the game, certainly not what I'm the mood for. Hopefully I can avoid spoilers until I decide its a good time to play it.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
By the reactions I thought it was getting bad scores then I looked at metacritic

never change era

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What I read in this thread...

Reviews read like it's one of the worst games ever yet they gave it a good/perfect score. How can that be? Boo.

Remember that reviews aren't school assignments. You don't start at 100 and subtract points for every flaw. If the reviewer feels that a game's positives massively outshine its negatives, then that's the score you'd expect.

This guys. This is how you should view reviews.

wartime

Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
Reviewers should absolutely give a game a fair shot, but to say they need to finish a game they don't like to review it is flawed. It means aggregate scores would be artificially inflated because some portion of the people that didn't like it enough to finish it could never post a review. They should be upfront with the portion of the game they played in their review though.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
15 minutes into the quick look, 30 hours into the game...

Brad: "ok I'm going to deliver this pizza, this is a highly technical delivery because the pizza has to be held horizontal!"

*Brad picks up the pizza by hand*

Brad: "See! It's gone vertical! My pizza is taking damage!"

Brad in menus: "oh my god, the clock is really ticking, my pizza is really taking a lot of damage."

My pizza is taking damage is one of the best quotes I've ever seen about a game.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, you don't see movie/music critics write a review without actually watching/listening them so I don't see why it has to be different for a game.

Although, when it comes to DS it doesn't surprise me at all. Listening to KindaFunny, there is one guy who stopped within first 5 hours. Another, also gave up on it (almost) until something hooked him during that time period. If you read the reviews, almost all of them mention that game starts extremely slow. So Sony/KojiPro knew that initial few hours may shape a narrative which is not truthful over the course of the game. Hence, this mandatory guideline to finish the game before writing a review.

Why do you think that is the case? That words aren't matching up to final score? Most of them mention that they can't say anything beyond Chapter 3, so maybe things pick up steam at that point forward, and just maybe with all its flaw(s), it delivers a satisfying conclusion when the end credits roll?

I don't expect things to be much different when normal people on this forum to get to play the game too, patience runs thin on this place and I expect lot to give up on it due to a slow start. But, to balance it all out there will be plenty who'll point out positives after putting an extended time in it. The game as a product in itself is divisive.
This mostly just exposes the fact that you don't read a lot of film criticism, because there are absolutely examples of perfectly legitimate critics walking out of a movie before it's finished and then formulating a a critique based on the time that they spent with the product, which as long as they mention that they did not finish the work is perfectly fine.

Especially in the case of video games where the vast majority of the audience isn't going to finish it the product it's totally legitimate.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Reviews are all over the place, which is expected. It's a divise game that you either love the concept or hate it. Can't wait to try it out myself.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
I expected an 83 MC and the score is now an 84 with 71 reviews. Kojima officially exceeded my expectations but I would have gotten it during the month of release anyway as long as it reviewed over 60 as I finished all the games he directed and nearly all he produced.

Era threads about Kojima (a deeply flawed but interesting director) are never fun, so I won´t do this to myself. MGS4 was his last directorial effort I was truly satisfied with so i hope that my apriciation of him will go up again after finishing DS.

Oct 27, 2017
People keep mentioning Pynchon, what's the Pynchon allusions about?
dFPbd10.jpg

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
I'm entirely unsurprised it's so divisive. To me, it's looked like a hugely pretentious exercise in aimless wandering for a while. I can see how people would really enjoy it though and it does look utterly beautiful. I just, personally, don't understand the cult of personality around Kojima.

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
The job of someone who reviews games is to provide a critique and give their opinion on the game they've been playing.

Obviously if they tried it for 5 minutes and stopped then I wouldnt even try to suggest anyone take that review seriously, but if they've been playing for tens of hours and that game is so unenjoyable to them that it can't be finished, I don't see why that can't be a valid criticism in a review (along with justification in the review itself)

I get that. I don't get the concept of "can't finish" though. With the exception of hitting deadlines, there's no reasonable explanation for not being able to finish a game. I don't have much of a problem with them releasing a review of a game they haven't finished if they're honest about it, but I will take them less seriously as a reviewer moving forward.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
You are saying that in a thread where the most anticipated game of the year is getting a lot of bad reviews. So whats your logic here? All the good reviews are there to keep the crazy fanboys happy and only the bad reviews are genuine? This is some conspiratorial stuff you are claiming with 0 evidence.

"Anticipated" doesn't feel like the right word as far as gaming products go. Thereabsolute feral hype towards this hilariously over marketed product. And as usual for folks that lived in that bubble, they lose it when that bubble bursts and the reality comes forward out the conspiracy and rumourmongering.

Critic reviews frequently bare little resemblance to how I feel about a game, and I want to avoid spoilers and the forum / hype bubbles. So I'm looking at few trusted users / critical comments and then friends who play, will continue to have only a bare core understanding of the game with the most minimal spoiler. And will base my purchasing decision on that. As usual I expect my own experience to not match specific critics or aggregated critic scores - it rarely does.

Generally speaking, of any aggregated score, large sample size review scores on Steam - aggregating user yes no votes (when filtered appropriately), tend to be a better barometer of sentiment that is more frequently closer to what my own experience could be.

As far as the conspiracy suggested by the other poster, I don't think reviews aren't genuine or paid for etc. I simply find a lot of critics are self affirmed, often with worse ability to present opinion and critique a game than some users. And often conditions surrounding press reviews are cause for concern and inform bias - but such is this industry and it's just something to ascertain if you want to take these critic reviews on board

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think if it got better after Chapter 3, more reviews would put an emphasis on that. Some do mention it gets better as you get more tools and such. Without playing the game myself I can't say for certain if there's a particular element that outweighs all the negatives except for maybe the 'experience'. In that it's something relatively new and unique and so maybe the originality aspect comes into play.
it definitely gets significantly better after chapter 3 and that's a common sentiment i've seen echoed in my private discussions with other people reviewing the game

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
And this is how you get people to ignore your post.
It's an inflammatory exaggeration sure, but is it wrong? The Cuphead dev's were brave, putting their houses on the line for the base game, then going even further to make it more than just a boss rush, with run'n'gun gameplay that isn't what's big and popular. Team Ico were brave, being unknown developers creating a game unlike most had ever seen.

An open world game from a household name like Kojima isn't brave. This could flop and he'd still get work easily.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
I guess this is one of those games that you really need to play yourself to have any kind of idea if you're gonna like it or not.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Well, I do think they're interpreting mission objectives in the standard way - the objective itself (reaching the point) isn't what is interesting. It's what happens along the way.
Say, is the mission structure similar to MGS V?
Is is true what Ars Technica wrote, that the ending is pretty much you still do not know what is going on, after completing it?
Sorry to bother you with those questions, but I never finished MGS V because I was quickly bored of it, because of the whole open-world stuff and after I watched the Easy Allies review and seeing videos, it seems similar to it.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
While there is no technical requirement, it makes sense that by completing a book or game or film, you have a fuller basis to judge the product.

You have more information, sure. But if something is bad enough along the way that it actively discourages you from finishing it, that is an indictment on the whole of it and can be treated as a complete criticism.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
84 is a really good score. It's in the company of greatness -- Fallout: New Vegas.

:)

(And I was on the mark with my guess, so that's nice)

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Reviewers should absolutely give a game a fair shot, but to say they need to finish a game they don't like to review it is flawed. It means scores would be artificially inflated because some portion of the people that didn't like it enough to finish it could never post a review. They should be upfront with the portion of the game they played in their review though.
My favorite Roger Ebert review was what he wrote about the first 90 minutes of Badlands and assumed the rest.

Cant believe people are advocating completion as optional for professional reviews.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
You don't need to have finished the game to give a review/final verdict on something. If your verdict is that you hated it so much you couldn't finish it, that's the verdict.

What's important is that you communicate that you didn't finish it.

In the case of DS, the review embargo made it clear that if you want to post your review today - you must have finished the game. Whether or not you think it's scummy to do so from Sony's end, it's part of the NDA agreement to get the review code early. Otherwise, you wait until release day.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Most reviewers don't even know which category this game fits in.
Did you watch or read any review? It's basically you delivering stuff here and there in an open world while avoiding some and fighting other baddies who wanna hurt you along the way, with the occasional boss fight. It sounds a lot like the fears and memes of it being a walking simulator with more interactivity is actually becoming real.

How in the hell is this supposed to be a new genre as claimed by Godjima?

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, scored worse than I hoped it would, but that's to be expected, I suppose. It was definitely going to be the most niche AAA game in some time.

I'm also more bummed about this than expected, lol.

Anyhow, I'm not gonna have a chance to play this until next summer, so I'm not in a rush either way.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Well, I do think they're interpreting mission objectives in the standard way - the objective itself (reaching the point) isn't what is interesting. It's what happens along the way.
That reminds me a lot of MGSV actually. I'm not sure how I feel about that as I loved the freedom MGSV gave but hated how the story was handled. I'm hoping the huge emphasis on story here, despite some criticisms I've read about aspects like the exposition, make up for MGSV's shortcomings in that area.
it definitely gets significantly better after chapter 3 and that's a common sentiment i've seen echoed in my private discussions with other people reviewing the game
That's what I'm hoping for, mainly in terms of gameplay mechanics. Although hearing about the backtracking is offputting for me.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
am i the only one who gets frustrated when people who haven't played a game try and tell people who have actually played the game what it's like based on a reading of someone else's subjective opinion

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Say, is the mission structure similar to MGS V?
Is is true what Ars Technica wrote, that the ending is pretty much you still do not go what is going on?
Sorry to bother you with those questions, but I never finished MGS V because I was quickly bored of it, because of the whole open-world stuff.
I don't think the open world stuff in MGSV was great and the world itself wasn't especially interesting to explore.

The difference here is that you're weighed down by your cargo and inventory - so you really need to think about how to get it to the objective and I found the stuff that unfolds along the way interesting. The terrain itself is a challenge - I don't recall that ever being true in MGSV.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
That reminds me a lot of MGSV actually. I'm not sure how I feel about that as I loved the freedom MGSV gave but hated how the story was handled. I'm hoping the huge emphasis on story here, despite some criticisms I've read about aspects like the exposition, make up for MGSV's shortcomings in that area.
So I was not the only one thinking MGS V then....