• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Hobby Consolas 9.4
Death Stranding is Kojima´s most personal game. A complex and emotional work of art, which is not adequate for everyone because of the slow pace and the unusual gameplay. But once you get it, it´s something you will never forget.

The Games Machine 8.8
Death Stranding is a good game, as well as the most ambitious work born from the mind of Hideo Kojima. It's not perfect, but successfully captures the player in a dark and fragmented world, so it's really worth fighting for.

Worth Playing 9.1
is a remarkable experience. Full stop. It's the first game I've played where everything from the story to the gameplay work together as a truly cohesive product. The social online system is intriguing and works well, and I'm curious to see if this idea will be explored further in future games. Everything about Death Stranding feels organically interwoven, which makes the experience all the more impressive and enriching. That also means that not all parts of it are excellent. The delivery gameplay is good and occasionally great, but given its pacing and setup, it doesn't always serve the game well, especially given the low difficulty level. Setting aside those minor gripes, Death Stranding is a new and brave direction for a game, and it pays off in many ways. This may not be for everyone, but everyone should try it out if they have the chance.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
I like how review scores are objective until they are suddenly either lower or higher than they actually are because "Kojima cult" or "MS bought off the reviewers" or "you just don't get it this is a SERIOUS ZOMBIE GAME". People probably thought for a long time about the score, chill out.

And also, why would you waste time being upset that something might actually be ok?

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You say that, but in my experience, it's usually the opposite.

I did genuinely enjoy Crackdown 3 and Gears 5 this year (for very different reasons). I mostly praised them. This resulted in a huge backlash and even people making videos about my videos trying to tear me down. This then results in floods of people sending nasty messages and generally being awful. It was a horrible experience - all because I enjoyed something which some others did not.

I'm slightly concerned that, by enjoying Death Stranding, I'll have to face the same shit.
When gamers disagree with a review

WhisperedThoseDorado-max-1mb.gif

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, on the contrary, I found the environments in DS more stunning and majestic than BotW. You aren't just staying in one large area - you progress across the country and the scenery changes. The videos are limited to just chapter 3 as well so you haven't seen everything - not even close. The sense of scale and majesty of the world is perhaps the best I've ever experienced.

Thanks a lot. That's reassuring. I will have this experience this for myself once it hits PC it seems, or at least see more of the game once people can show it off in its entirety.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine how bad the most anticipated game of the year has to be to get an 84. When the visionary director behind it has released an unfinished game that scored in the 90s.

And I am not claiming that only bad reviews are genuine. 9/10s become 10/10 and 8/10s become 9/10. Toxic fans are extremely sensitive.

The only toxic thing I see is this post.
80 for an average isn't a failure. Geeze

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
The job is to review, not to play.

I don't need to watch the entirety of Jack & Jill to tell you it's irredeemable garbage.

True, but I would expect you to if you were a professional film critic.

You're right that their job is to review, but to me I won't give much weight to the words of someone who can't even bother to finish a game they're reviewing.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
The sense of scale and majesty of the world is perhaps the best I've ever experienced.
The praise you've been throwing onto Death Stranding, especially the environments and exploration have me so excited. I hope it really does feel like a journey from East to West.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
it's still Kojima and his cult will buy and praise it no matter the actual quality.
This kind of shit is annoying as fuck.
Yeah, some people are fans of Kojima and will like whatever he does because they feel like they understand his work, and feel like his work speak to them. Like some people like me are fans of Kamiya, of Aonuma, of Koizumi, of Miyazaki, whatever. Same for cinema, same for music, same for litterature.
You don't see people calling out those fans talking about cult.
Who the fuck care if those people like it. Talking about "actual quality" is such a value judgement.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
These scores are.......interesting.

I can't say I'm not intrigued by how many people love and hate it. I'll definitely have to try it at some point.

TonyMartial11

Banned
Mar 5, 2019
The IGN review was not pretty. The description of the level walking through the snow seems painful....not my idea of fun. Shame really, not one I can see myself getting into with my limited time

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm going to love this game when I'm able to play the PC version next year.

I totally understand after watching several reviews why this is boring or non-engaging to so many people, I really do. But for me, it looks like a wonderful zen-like experience.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It then goes on to talk about how thats all done to make the player feel something in the end.

I would literally say last guardian does the same, it can be a mess to get trico to do what you want but that makes trico feel like an actual being in the end

TLG made me feel like the AI in the game was broken.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Official Staff Communication
Review threads have often been some of the most contentious on the forum. To improve the level of discussion therein, please observe the following guidelines in all review threads (including this one):

• No matter your stance on the game, your contributions always should be thoughtful and backed with substance. Avoid drive-by posting (do not just drop a hot take and leave).
• Do not engage in metacommentary or generalizations about other members who disagree with you. This will be moderated strictly.
• Do not troll. If the staff determine that you are trolling or attempting to inflame the discussion you will be banned.
Exercise caution before accusing a media outlet or reviewer of having ulterior motives behind their score. If your claim is inflammatory and you cannot substantiate it, you will be banned.
• Treat your fellow members with respect at all times. These are only video games.

All rules laid out in our General Guide still apply in this thread. These additional guidelines will apply to all future review threads and will be reposted as necessary.

*cough*

Oct 25, 2017
84 is slightly lower than the range I was expecting and the reviews more decisive, but it seems that the game is exactly what I was hoping it would be. Looking forward to digging into it.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't always need to finish games before reviewing them. I've reviewed games I never finished because the concept fundamentally didn't work and the experience wasn't worth a purchase in any case.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Might be offset by people not willing to finish it...

I know people don't like edge for various reasons but I really like how they do their thing and just don't care about media hype. They take each game and say what they have to say about the game. I don't want to put more fire into the "media is biased" or even "payed for good scores" but it seems like edge is the one that you can never ever influence in any way. I didn't even know that you had to finish the game to have the right to publish your review.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That easy allies review, it paints a lot of the gameplay and boss fights to be mundane boring and technically weak...yet it get's an 8/10 GTFOH.

I thought the positives were weighted really strongly in the text

Death Stranding does a commendable job of slowly layering new obstacles on top of the basic challenge of traversal. Weather conditions get worse over time, distances get farther, and loads become trickier to manage. Outside adversaries such as the ghost-like BTs and the fanatic MULES also become more prevalent. There's always something to deal with, whether big or small, and like the Metal Gear Solid games, Death Stranding provides room for experimentation, offering an array of tools that, while not essential, offer flexibility and create the sensation that whatever delivery style you land on is your own.

The game's biggest strength comes from not how it promotes individual creativity, but rather with asynchronous collaboration. Objects like ladders and ropes that you use to make the road easier appear in the worlds of other players and vice versa. If someone uses a tool of yours, the game notifies you, and players can even "like" the object repeatedly. It's satisfying to serve as an invisible hand, and the way Death Stranding is designed makes it hard to ever truly take it for granted. Because there's often so little around, seeing the evidence of someone else can be comforting, and you feel appreciative of whatever it is they placed into the world, not necessarily because you need it, but because it punches through the wall of isolation the game is so good at constructing. There are times when you do need it, though. If you're caught in a bad situation for one reason or another, a total stranger can almost feel like some sort of guardian angel. It creates a tangible sense of community, where you're appreciative of the kindness of others simply because they're being kind, or at least it's easy to interpret that way.

There are countless other games where you play with others, but few make the act of interaction so celebrated, allowing it to feel a bit deeper and more meaningful. How Death Stranding emphasizes interaction also helps the gravity of its own message. Time and again, the game states how people need to come together in order to survive. Yet because you get to live that experience firsthand just by playing, it's easier to take into real consideration. To put it bluntly, Death Stranding is trying to practice what it preaches

There are a lot of negatives, but I don't see how you can hear that and think it's going to go much lower than it did.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Being "unable" to finish a game when your job is to play games isn't exactly a sign of professionalism.
The job of someone who reviews games is to provide a critique and give their opinion on the game they've been playing.

Obviously if they tried it for 5 minutes and stopped then I wouldnt even try to suggest anyone take that review seriously, but if they've been playing for tens of hours and that game is so unenjoyable to them that it can't be finished, I don't see why that can't be a valid criticism in a review (along with justification in the review itself)

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
I couldn't disagree with that IGN quote more.

On paper, yes, but it's the mechanics that completely change things up.

Here's the thing - most open world games focus on what happens when you arrive at your destination. The space between the objective and starting point is useless, empty space - you hold forward on the stick and you go. There's not usually much there.

Death Stranding inverts that - the arrival at your way point isn't usually the payoff - it's the journey.

Here's some examples..

I need to reach my objective in a stony field with large chasms running through it. I had a lot of things to carry and could barely walk with them so I loaded everything into a truck and hit the road. Unfortunately, I tried to jump a large chasm and missed - the truck fell into the chasm. Ruined, I climbed out of it and tried to consider my options. However, this commotion triggered a nearby camp (they have these pylons which scan for cargo). You can hear them above the chasm and then they start climbing down after me. So I open up the truck inventory quickly, grab a few supplies for combat and run.

Then I spent time taking out the patrol one by one (non-lethal - since killing leads to a voidout which blows a huge crater in the map).

After dispatching them, I returned to the truck and transported things piece by piece up the side of the chasm back to the surface. Carrying everything would be too difficult so I made my way to the bandit camp where the enemies had arrived from. Managed to steal one of their trucks and get back to my pile of stuff where I could load it up. I was able to continue my delivery route to the next way point until BTs appeared and the battery on the truck ran low (and since I wasn't in the Chrial network, I couldn't build a charge station). So I grabbed the key items for the mission and continued on foot, sneaking through BTs. Eventually, I made it to the top of a mountain (looking something like Mars at this point) and used the steep terrain as an excuse to run down the hill while trying to keep balance. Then - the objective was reached.

A simple little story but it's this type of occurrence - things going wrong on the road - that makes for such a memorable time.
Sold. Thank you for this.

I'm getting myself a preorder as soon as I get back from vacation.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

😬

Mahardy is a pretty smart and well-read guy, so I take his impressions to heart. This is the thing about Kojima's games that has bothered me the most. The stories he tells and characters he creates tend to actively turn me off. His tendency toward the overtly exploitative treatment of certain characters and sexism are obvious issues but of course also the heavy-handed approach to complex themes.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine how bad the most anticipated game of the year has to be to get an 84. When the visionary director behind it has released an unfinished game that scored in the 90s.

And I am not claiming that only bad reviews are genuine. 9/10s become 10/10 and 8/10s become 9/10. Toxic fans are extremely sensitive.

Alright, just give me one quote from a reviewer that corroborates what you are saying.

With MGSV, I would give it a 90 despite being unfinished cause the whats there is still incredible and worth playing.

"Imagine how bad the most anticipated game of the year has to be to get an 84."

Don't even know what you mean by this. Anticipation has nothing to do with how a game is reviewed.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
I think I am fine with the gameplay stuff. Hours of cutscenes doesn't bother me at all. But I think i am not getting it after listening to the Beastcast. I just can't play much of a game when it doesn't really have a payoff or doesn't say anything. And some of the women treatment seems to be bad as well, so yeah.

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
I think "this movie/game/book is so bad I couldn't finish it" is just as valid a criticism as "I thought this thing was bad in hour 25 and 30 hours later it's still shitty".

Sure if it's coming from a standard consumer. If you are a professional reviewer I think it should stand to reason you'd be held to a higher standard.

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
OK, so, they have a thing called 'codec' and you use it to communicate with others - those conversations may as well be lifted from Metal Gear. It's exactly like you think it is.

That said, it's not quite like MGS where you can ring up people at any time.

Nope. Take a look at the video I posted today and you'll see what I mean!

It just made me more likely to avoid discussion in places where things go bad. I won't read YouTube comments any longer - ever again, for one.

I'm sorry to hear that, just wanted to let you know that most folks on here appreciate the high quality content you dole out on a regular basis. And please, never dither from posting your thoughts in fear of few trolls giving you shit.

I think if it got better after Chapter 3, more reviews would put an emphasis on that. Some do mention it gets better as you get more tools and such. Without playing the game myself I can't say for certain if there's a particular element that outweighs all the negatives except for maybe the 'experience'. In that it's something relatively new and unique and so maybe the originality aspect comes into play.

Fair enough. I'm only listening to KF right now, and they do mention the game picking up and getting better over the hours. Also, 100% agree with you on personal experience. Difficult to gauge on which end of scale one will fall until they themselves have spent a considerable amount of title on this game. I hope you enjoy the game!

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
I did and it still sounds like a miserable experience for huge chunks of it.
Reviewer also says

"That the game ultimately comes up short is unfortunate, because there were times when I was spurred on to complete my delivery mission. Coming over a ridge, reflecting on how far I'd come and knowing that I just had to make it across one final expanse before delivering my cargo felt like sweet relief at times. The game is also visually stunning, which helps when spending all that time traveling from one place to another."

He does say the game for him comes up short but there were times he was motivated to complete the missions and the visuals helped overall. He also did like the whole social aspect of it which has always been a big selling point regarding the game.

"Death Stranding's online connectivity is one of the game's strengths, not only because other real-life players add useful items like ladders and warning signs to your world, but because it achieves what it tries to do: It creates bonds."

He also did like the systems such as rain and snow but at this point we would be quoting the entire review here which isnt fair to the person who wrote it.

All in all idk how it seems weird to you it scored 7.

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
So can we all agree that Outer Wilds is a lock for GOTY, as if it wasn't already?

Nah, it was a pretty cool experience initially, flying around exploring, but I got kind of frustrated and bored once I was forced to solve specific things to progress (with time constraints no less), and had no idea what to do. For me, it's definitely the Res Evil 2 remake.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Fair enough. I'm only listening to KF right now, and they do mention the game picking up and getting better over the hours. Also, 100% agree with you on personal experience. Difficult to gauge on which end of scale one will fall until they themselves have spent a considerable amount of title on this game. I hope you enjoy the game!
It being divisive does make me more excited for the game weirdly enough. I like works that usually have a polarizing reaction, as long as the game doesn't bore me. lol