• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Trolling, ignoring the staff post
You are saying that in a thread where the most anticipated game of the year is getting a lot of bad reviews. So whats your logic here? All the good reviews are there to keep the crazy fanboys happy and only the bad reviews are genuine? This is some conspiratorial stuff you are claiming with 0 evidence.

Imagine how bad the most anticipated game of the year has to be to get an 84. When the visionary director behind it has released an unfinished game that scored in the 90s.

And I am not claiming that only bad reviews are genuine. 9/10s become 10/10 and 8/10s become 9/10. Toxic fans are extremely sensitive.

Mezati99

Banned
Feb 6, 2019
Planet Earth
it's looking like we already got our GOTY back in march

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Ferikkain%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F07%2FSekiro-5.jpg

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
I mean they should finish a game before they review. If they can't finish it to review it then the responsibilty is on them. of course they don't have an onus to actually review the game. I mean imagine actually making an issue of this? I mean I don't think it should be mandated, I think it should be standard period. Otherwise, keep it as a preview. Moaning about it seems ridiculous and also unprofessional. It is kind of an implicit admittance of shody practice. Also, good to get his wifes input though. I will be looking out for Nathan Brown's wife's thoughts next time I am looking for an definitive opinion.
If a reviewer is seriously not enjoying a game so much that they are unable to finish it, why shouldn't that be a valid opinion on the quality of the game?

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
That easy allies review, it paints a lot of the gameplay and boss fights to be mundane boring and technically weak...yet it get's an 8/10 GTFOH.

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
Asking that reviewers actually finish the game is a move I am totally behind.

should be a standard. Trying to twist that into something bad is dumb and immature.

Well, you don't see movie/music critics write a review without actually watching/listening them so I don't see why it has to be different for a game.

Although, when it comes to DS it doesn't surprise me at all. Listening to KindaFunny, there is one guy who stopped within first 5 hours. Another, also gave up on it (almost) until something hooked him during that time period. If you read the reviews, almost all of them mention that game starts extremely slow. So Sony/KojiPro knew that initial few hours may shape a narrative which is not truthful over the course of the game. Hence, this mandatory guideline to finish the game before writing a review.

Ok. What do you want me to say? A game that looks to have a lot of boring elements probably won't play well with the general public? That a number of reviews seem inflated when you look at the score in comparison to what they're actually writing down in terms of their experiences? The Game Informer one stands out to me in that the reviewer sounded miserable playing the game but gave it a 7 anyway. That's not a good thing.

Why do you think that is the case? That words aren't matching up to final score? Most of them mention that they can't say anything beyond Chapter 3, so maybe things pick up steam at that point forward, and just maybe with all its flaw(s), it delivers a satisfying conclusion when the end credits roll?

I don't expect things to be much different when normal people on this forum to get to play the game too, patience runs thin on this place and I expect lot to give up on it due to a slow start. But, to balance it all out there will be plenty who'll point out positives after putting an extended time in it. The game as a product in itself is divisive.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
OK, so, they have a thing called 'codec' and you use it to communicate with others - those conversations may as well be lifted from Metal Gear. It's exactly like you think it is.

That said, it's not quite like MGS where you can ring up people at any time.

Oh okay, sounds good. Thank you for the explanation.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
An uncontroversial MC score in the end, unless you're one of the more uh unrealistically hopeful people that expected something in the high 90s. But I feel like this score is as high as it is only because game reviewers are as generous as they usually are when handing out numbers. IGN's review reads/sounds like something considerably lower than a 6.8, same for the 6/10 review from AusGamers that only recommends it to the most fanatical of Kojima fans.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
This is based on my experience with open world games. I know a lot of people love them.

What I'm saying is that the traversal from point A to B is something I genuinely loathe in most open world games today. It's why I felt The Witcher 3 was a step back from 2 and why those massive Assassin's Creed games do nothing for me these days. I don't find the space between points engaging in any way.

I think it's the inventory management, weight/momentum and challenging navigation that make DS compelling. It's not just about finding a way point and going there.

This is all just my own opinion based on playing many open world games this generation.

the more you describe the gameplay, the more the epitaph of "walking simulator " seems more apt.

not saying that as positive or negative, just that it seems to actually be what the minutia of the gameplay concerns itself with

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This helped crystallize the appeal of the game a lot. I had a similar relationship to Breath of the Wild, where the traveling was often the most rewarding part of the game. What I find somewhat disappointing or worrying from what I've seen and read is that the environments in DS are very samey supposedly. So unlike BotW, there isn't that "payoff" of a majestic view that makes an otherwise mundane or difficult trek worthwhile. So I was wondering if you felt that lacking in the game, or was the mechanical challenge of traversing the world rewarding enough in and of itself? And, just out of curiosity, how does this aspect of DS compare to BotW?
Oh, on the contrary, I found the environments in DS more stunning and majestic than BotW. You aren't just staying in one large area - you progress across the country and the scenery changes. The videos are limited to just chapter 3 as well so you haven't seen everything - not even close. The sense of scale and majesty of the world is perhaps the best I've ever experienced.

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
You say that, but in my experience, it's usually the opposite.

I did genuinely enjoy Crackdown 3 and Gears 5 this year (for very different reasons). I mostly praised them. This resulted in a huge backlash and even people making videos about my videos trying to tear me down. This then results in floods of people sending nasty messages and generally being awful. It was a horrible experience - all because I enjoyed something which some others did not.

I'm slightly concerned that, by enjoying Death Stranding, I'll have to face the same shit.

I'm sorry you had to experience that. Could you imagine that experience influencing a reviewer to give a game a higher / lower score than they otherwise would have?

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019

I did genuinely enjoy Crackdown 3 and Gears 5 this year (for very different reasons). I mostly praised them. This resulted in a huge backlash and even people making videos about my videos trying to tear me down. This then results in floods of people sending nasty messages and generally being awful. It was a horrible experience - all because I enjoyed something which some others did not.

I'm slightly concerned that, by enjoying Death Stranding, I'll have to face the same shit.

Im with you, Crackdown was the most fun game this year (still is) by A LONG SHOT lol

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
This was never going to be a 90+ game, I don't know how so many people thought it is. The gameplay gives it all
Like RDR2? ;)
It's not about the gameplay to get 90+. It's just about how good a reviewer liked a game overall and what impressions it left. And Death Stranding always seemed too eccentric/weird to resonate with everyone.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This quote from Jeff in the Quick Look: "Everything about the BB and their nature and where they come from and stuff I found to be..... profoundly distasteful?"

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
the more you describe the gameplay, the more the epitaph of "walking simulator " seems more apt.

not saying that as positive or negative, just that it seems to actually be what the minutia off the gameplay concerns itself with
Yes, it is exactly that.

...but the term walking simulator was coined to describe games where you really don't do anything other than slowly peel back the layers of the story. There usually aren't mechanics outside of clicking on objects. I enjoy those types of games a lot too but Death Stranding really isn't like that.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017

I heard a good metaphor recently. Digital Foundry has ~750,000 subscribers. Imagine you lived in a city that consisted entirely of DF subscribers.

A real city that size needs a dedicated police force to help protect regular citizens from its literally insane citizens (which may even include murderers). Unfortunately, you don't have a police force, you have to deal with all the crazy people by yourself.

It really sucks.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This was never going to be a 90+ game, I don't know how so many people thought it is. The gameplay gives it all
I agree on the most part but it could have been a definite 10/10 version like Journey.
I mean on paper Journey looks boring but it isn't. it's clear gameplay is lacking which is weird for a kojima game.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Alex from giant bomb said that the idea that this is a new genre of game is mostly bull shit

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
Unfortunately this is very common. Some reviews are done with a criminally short play time...

For other games that basically have no story or focused on MP sure, as the end game will take hundreds of hours.

But for games like this where the story is a huge part is a no brainer to finish it before giving a verdict.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
If a reviewer is seriously not enjoying a game so much that they are unable to finish it, why shouldn't that be a valid opinion on the quality of the game?
Because you aren't judging the totality of the work.

Completing something is the lowest possible barrier to entry to publish a review. Sony gave reviewers 2 weeks and only gave 'finish it' as a requirement. Not doing so would be incredibly unprofessional (which the person who spurned this discussion hasn't been).

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, on the contrary, I found the environments in DS more stunning and majestic than BotW. You aren't just staying in one large area - you progress across the country and the scenery changes. The videos are limited to just chapter 3 as well so you haven't seen everything - not even close. The sense of scale and majesty of the world is perhaps the best I've ever experienced.
Wow. I need this game now. I love exploring in videogames. Just saw your video, thanks!

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Come on people it's not that hard. One thing is to say that the scores seem inflated "because of Kojima" and another different thing is to say that comparing the scores with the review content makes the scores feel inflated. Which is 100% the case on all the reviews I have read/watched today.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Why do you think that is the case? That words aren't matching up to final score? Most of them mention that they can't say anything beyond Chapter 3, so maybe things pick up steam at that point forward, and just maybe with all its flaw(s), it delivers a satisfying conclusion when the end credits roll?

I don't expect things to be much different when normal people on this forum to get to play the game too, patience runs thin on this place and I expect lot to give up on it due to a slow start. But, to balance it all out there will be plenty who'll point out positives after putting an extended time in it. The game as a product in itself is divisive.
I think if it got better after Chapter 3, more reviews would put an emphasis on that. Some do mention it gets better as you get more tools and such. Without playing the game myself I can't say for certain if there's a particular element that outweighs all the negatives except for maybe the 'experience'. In that it's something relatively new and unique and so maybe the originality aspect comes into play.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017

Well this just hyped me the fuck up lol.