• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kuni

Oct 27, 2017
Wow fascinating review spread. Can't remember a game getting numerous 10s on one side and then 6/7s on the other. Can't wait to play it myself.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So it seems like the game is all about traversing from point A to B.

But not because there is something inherently interesting to do at the destination,

but because figuring out how to get from A to B is where the gameplay lies?
The obstacles are literally terrain obstacles, figuring out how to cross a chasm, or get up a cliff, or decide how many things you realistically want to carry.

it's sounds so weird and unique and so very kojima.

wish this wasn't a whole week away, i really want this.... :(

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Agreed. It's a good score overall, but most people were expecting far better from a AAA Kojima/Sony title. The poll is evidence.
...and that's brilliant because it demonstrates how off the rails this project is - in a good way. It flies in the face of AAA norms to the point where most companies would shut this down well before it got off the ground. I appreciate that it exists and greatly enjoyed it's unique design.

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
That's not how reviews work.

That is not how reviews are supposed to work. Big difference.

With lots of money on the line, toxic fans in their thousands, certain games and developers will always get a boost to their review scores.

RDR2 is the most obvious recent example. Hugely divisive among those who purchased it and yet universally praised by critics who remarkably couldn't find any flaws.

The Zelda 8.8 debacle has pretty much determined that appeasing a games fanbase is often the path of least resistance. Easier to give them what they want.

It'd be really naive to believe that every review score is genuine, particular for big name titles and developers.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
I couldn't disagree with that IGN quote more.

On paper, yes, but it's the mechanics that completely change things up.

Here's the thing - most open world games focus on what happens when you arrive at your destination. The space between the objective and starting point is useless, empty space - you hold forward on the stick and you go. There's not usually much there.

Death Stranding inverts that - the arrival at your way point isn't usually the payoff - it's the journey.

Here's some examples..

I need to reach my objective in a stony field with large chasms running through it. I had a lot of things to carry and could barely walk with them so I loaded everything into a truck and hit the road. Unfortunately, I tried to jump a large chasm and missed - the truck fell into the chasm. Ruined, I climbed out of it and tried to consider my options. However, this commotion triggered a nearby camp (they have these pylons which scan for cargo). You can hear them above the chasm and then they start climbing down after me. So I open up the truck inventory quickly, grab a few supplies for combat and run.

Then I spent time taking out the patrol one by one (non-lethal - since killing leads to a voidout which blows a huge crater in the map).

After dispatching them, I returned to the truck and transported things piece by piece up the side of the chasm back to the surface. Carrying everything would be too difficult so I made my way to the bandit camp where the enemies had arrived from. Managed to steal one of their trucks and get back to my pile of stuff where I could load it up. I was able to continue my delivery route to the next way point until BTs appeared and the battery on the truck ran low (and since I wasn't in the Chrial network, I couldn't build a charge station). So I grabbed the key items for the mission and continued on foot, sneaking through BTs. Eventually, I made it to the top of a mountain (looking something like Mars at this point) and used the steep terrain as an excuse to run down the hill while trying to keep balance. Then - the objective was reached.

A simple little story but it's this type of occurrence - things going wrong on the road - that makes for such a memorable time.

So you got greedy / didn't think stuff through and got utterly punished in what seems like to be a "hey but its fun to climb a ladder to get stuff I lost"

wild. I can understand the appeal of getting some enjoyment by processing the ideas in real time and whatnot but I can see certain people, namely those who haven't let go of their ego, having a real hard time to enjoy this "game"

I do like the aspect of not holding a button to pick something up + unlimited inventory and shit actually having weight / repercussions as well as considering other players doing deliveries and helping them + the ratio between risk / playing safe and the failure that it might entail or not, which seems to be toying with your instincts pretty much at all times when it comes down to the gameplay

I don't know, I don't think a lot of people in the west have it in them to have fun with consideration (from a concept point of view) as a backbone of the whole thing. Or people who can't appreciate the notion of momentum either

Last edited:

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Will be interesting reading this. My tastes usually align with EDGE so it'll be interesting to see what Nathan has got to say after I'm finished with the game.

B0jGZyt.png

By we he means him? If he doesn't care enough to finish the game maybe he can pass it to another reviewer who are willing to.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
"While Death Stranding will surely be the most divisive game of this generation, there is no arguing that it offers new ideas on pushing the medium forward and shows that games don't always typically have to be "fun". The story is beautifully presented and is surprisingly restrained and focused for a Kojima title. All of the actors put on amazing performances and while its gameplay will be too slow for many, those willing to peel back the layers will discover a thoughtfully designed experience that will leave you ruminating for weeks after finishing."

That's from a reviewer that gave the game a 100.

That's a lot of negative for a game that got a perfect score. I know some people are more into the artistic side of games, but normally I play games because they're fun.

Am I missing something? He/she really didn't say anything negative in that quote.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I feel that a moderator should be held in a higher standard than these posts.
Ok. What do you want me to say? A game that looks to have a lot of boring elements probably won't play well with the general public? That a number of reviews seem inflated when you look at the score in comparison to what they're actually writing down in terms of their experiences? The Game Informer one stands out to me in that the reviewer sounded miserable playing the game but gave it a 7 anyway. That's not a good thing.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
So there are games they reviewed without finishing due to trying to hit the embargo/deadline? lol

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
"While Death Stranding will surely be the most divisive game of this generation, there is no arguing that it offers new ideas on pushing the medium forward and shows that games don't always typically have to be "fun". The story is beautifully presented and is surprisingly restrained and focused for a Kojima title. All of the actors put on amazing performances and while its gameplay will be too slow for many, those willing to peel back the layers will discover a thoughtfully designed experience that will leave you ruminating for weeks after finishing."

That's from a reviewer that gave the game a 100.

That's a lot of negative for a game that got a perfect score. I know some people are more into the artistic side of games, but normally I play games because they're fun.

Remember that reviews aren't school assignments. You don't start at 100 and subtract points for every flaw. If the reviewer feels that a game's positives massively outshine its negatives, then that's the score you'd expect.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Will be interesting reading this. My tastes usually align with EDGE so it'll be interesting to see what Nathan has got to say after I'm finished with the game.

B0jGZyt.png

I mean they should finish a game before they review. If they can't finish it to review it then the responsibilty is on them. of course they don't have an onus to actually review the game. I mean imagine actually making an issue of this? I mean I don't think it should be mandated, I think it should be standard period. Otherwise, keep it as a preview. Moaning about it seems ridiculous and also unprofessional. It is kind of an implicit admittance of shody practice. Also, good to get his wifes input though. I will be looking out for Nathan Brown's wife's thoughts next time I am looking for an definitive opinion.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Remember that reviews aren't school assignments. You don't start at 100 and subtract points for every flaw. If the reviewer feels that a game's positives massively outshine its negatives, then that's the score you'd expect.
Exactly. I have a laundry list of things I'd improve or add to BotW but it's still my GotG so far.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So it seems like the game is all about traversing from point A to B.

But not because there is something inherently interesting to do at the destination,

but because figuring out how to get from A to B is where the gameplay lies?
The obstacles are literally terrain obstacles, figuring out how to cross a chasm, or get up a cliff, or decide how many things you realistically want to carry.

it's sounds so weird and unique and so very kojima.

wish this wasn't a whole week away, i really want this.... :(

Sounds like mountain climbing in Skyrim to be honest.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017

With lots of money on the line, toxic fans in their thousands, certain games and developers will always get a boost to their review scores.

RDR2 is the most obvious recent example. Hugely divisive among those who purchased it and yet universally praised by critics who remarkably couldn't find any flaws.

The Zelda 8.8 debacle has pretty much determined that appeasing a games fanbase is often the path of least resistance. Easier to give them what they want.

It'd be really naive to believe that every review score is genuine, particular for big name titles and developers.
You are saying that in a thread where the most anticipated game of the year is getting a lot of bad reviews. So whats your logic here? All the good reviews are there to keep the crazy fanboys happy and only the bad reviews are genuine? This is some conspiratorial stuff you are claiming with 0 evidence.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

You say that, but in my experience, it's usually the opposite.

I did genuinely enjoy Crackdown 3 and Gears 5 this year (for very different reasons). I mostly praised them. This resulted in a huge backlash and even people making videos about my videos trying to tear me down. This then results in floods of people sending nasty messages and generally being awful. It was a horrible experience - all because I enjoyed something which some others did not.

I'm slightly concerned that, by enjoying Death Stranding, I'll have to face the same shit.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This post is aimed at people a few pages back, and people who are yet to arrive in the thread...

Some people think divisive= bad and that the game can't be divisive if it gets a good score. Which is the wrong definition of the word.

Definition:-
tending to cause disagreement or hostility between people.

A game could score 1 out of 10, on average, and be divisive....or it could score 9 out of 10, on average and be divisive.

In general, the bigger the spread between scores and the reasons for that spread, will make one game more divisive than another.

Renfran aevanhoe

Last edited:

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
...and that's brilliant because it demonstrates how off the rails this project is - in a good way. It flies in the face of AAA norms to the point where most companies would shut this down well before it got off the ground. I appreciate that it exists and greatly enjoyed it's unique design.

Yeah of course, I'm happy for the people who will enjoy it :)

I'm just saying that the reviews are still divisive, even if the aggregate itself is good. The spread of scores is what makes it divisive.

Oct 27, 2017
From Gamekult's Editor-in-chief:

"Nicolas Verlet, but on Switch
@puyogk

Looking forward to finally being able to immerse myself in Death Stranding. Not sure if I'll be one of its apostles in the end, but the concept is already blowing up the conventional end-of-the-year AAA games. And the enthusiasm of (Gamekult reviewer) @LePereFidalbion is really contagious."

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Trying to avoid reading too much.

Can someone tell me if it has a Codec equivalent ? Like you can see and chat with people ?

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
You say that, but in my experience, it's usually the opposite.

I did genuinely enjoy Crackdown 3 and Gears 5 this year (for very different reasons). I mostly praised them. This resulted in a huge backlash and even people making videos about my videos trying to tear me down. This then results in floods of people sending nasty messages and generally being awful. It was a horrible experience - all because I enjoyed something which some others did not.

I'm slightly concerned that, by enjoying Death Stranding, I'll have to face the same shit.
Fuck dude, that sounds crazy. There are some truly horrible people out there.