• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Man just looking at this OP is nuts haha, there's so many varying scores. It's really difficult to nail down a consensus with this game and I kinda like that way? Let's me go into the game and come up with my own thoughts.

It's kinda cool that it is very devisive but you know that this will also lead to both people that hate and people that love the game being very toxic to each other on era.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
Reviews are, at least partly, designed to tell readers what they want to hear. High profile games from developers with a large and outspoken fanbase will typically receive reviews that skew to the upside to keep fans happy.

Remedy and Obsidian don't have the sheer number of unstable fans to dissuade poor reviews. They live and die on the genuine quality of their games.

Whereas Kojima has released an unfinished game that received a score in the 90s.
That's not how reviews work.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
metacritic 🤷‍♀️

why do metacritic consider 6/10 a green score for an album but horrible for games?
6 is not horrible. But they have explained this...

The reason for this special treatment for games has to do with the games publications themselves. Virtually all of the publications we use as sources for game reviews (a) assign scores on a 0-100 scale (or equivalent) to their reviews, and (b) are very explicit about what those scores mean. And these publications are almost unanimous in indicating that scores below 50 indicate a negative review, while it usually takes a score in the upper 70s or higher to indicate that the game is unequivocally good. This is markedly different from movies, TV or music, where a score of, say, 3 stars out of 5 (which translates to a 60 out of 100 on our site) can still indicate that a movie is worth seeing or an album is worth buying. Thus, we had to adjust our color-coding for games to account for the different meaning of games scores compared to scores for music, movies and TV.

Jun 26, 2018
I just want to play the game.

Edit: Also laughing at "critics" being pissed about not being able to post a review because they weren't able or willing to finish the game... such professionalism.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
GQ in particular doesn't give a number in their analyses, so nothing will change the average if it's up to them. In total, there should be another 40 reviews or so to be published and counted.

That's true, and yet I feel it's what Darkx was saying: that something happening is another mission, another fight, but not the act of traversing the space itself. It's a format where you move as a means to get to the next mark, so secondary that you could activate a line and follow it to that next point of interest.

For better or worse, the focus here is about how you get from A to B, instead of what new content you get to unlock while wandering around.

Hmmm... yeah... I see. I've watched a few gameplay videos and this traversal management stuff is really making me scratch my head lol

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Will be interesting reading this. My tastes usually align with EDGE so it'll be interesting to see what Nathan has got to say after I'm finished with the game.

B0jGZyt.png

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
Just eyeballing, but doesn't this feel like a much more divisive 84 meta than most others? I'm too sleepy to open Excel but I feel like the distribution of where score are landing is much broader than other games that would average 84 but be a lot tighter distribution around the low and high 80s.

or am I just crazy?

Check out The Last Guardian, that one spread from like 2/10 to perfect scores, 82 score

Kabukimurder

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Demanding that people finish your game before reviewing might not be the best thing for reviewscores if the actual gameplay is a dread.. 🤔

oldboss

Nov 9, 2017
Wheeeeew. Just woke up. Lower than I expected. Good thing I don't give a shit about scores. What's up with those couple 3s though?

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think it's particularly required to complete a game to be able to give an analysis of it - especially if more than 40 hours in you didn't enjoy it. It could even be a review "in-progress" but this blocks that

If you're gonna review a game you didn't finish you should state you didn't finish it.

I think we should all agree.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
From the Easy Allies reviews it's more pretentious, bloated, trying to be mature/edgy dialogue that Kojima is known for and even what he is usually good at in combat/boss encounters falls flat. So combat and story are both bad, leaving only exploration as a seeming high point.

Yeah I'll pass. Kojima tried to pull a Ueda but he doesn't have that level of artistic talent, especially as he can't get out of his way enough to be minimalistic. The only thing that makes this somewhat "brave" is that it has a AAA budget but in the end, it's still Kojima and his cult will buy and praise it no matter the actual quality.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. I just finished reading the easy allies review. The words don't feel like it matches the score. I'm seeing this over and over again. Feels like a much lower score than what is described in the review.

Not to give credence to the idea that a game "Bideo Bojima" would've scored differently (as that's not what I'm trying to say here), but generally speaking it makes sense that people try to dissect media by a well known designer more than they would an indie game. You expect them to make a quality thing, so you give it time to simmer in your brain, return to it, etc. I have this with albums from bands I typically like. On my first listen of several Radiohead albums, I was not feeling it. But because I know I like their body of work, I listen again. And again. I let it occupy my brain space instead of moving on to another album/artist. Then after I while, once I've digested it so to speak, I begin liking it more. That's a very real thing that I'm sure many people do.

Last edited:

Ashflow

Feb 13, 2018
US
Sounds like the gameplay is rather unfun in most cases but everything else is really good.

In other words, the perfect game to watch a let's play of instead of actually playing it. Listen to commentary in the many slow parts or just skip ahead if even that's not enough.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Hmmm... yeah... I see. I've watched a few gameplay videos and this traversal management stuff is really making me scratch my head lol
Anyway, he probably explained it better than myself. ;) I don't know how much I'll like it either, but I see the point of what he's saying and it seems quite intriguing to me.

iCodec

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People either really hate this game to the point of not finishing it, and those who absolutely love it.

I expected this to be divisive, but jeez.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The first 2 minutes of the Easy Allies review talk about how it's intentionally boring, tedious, like a job that you often don't want to do.

Deleted member 27551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Seems very marmite. I goto admit from the videos ive seen of it before the review embargo lifted, I really just dont like the look of the game it's very slow paced and the story doesnt seem all that interesting to me.

I'd rather look around a few sites then see if it really is a game I like anyway than just trust review scores. Finished days gone the other week and for me its easily one of the best games this gen and that have I ever played but reviews said it was a very dull open world. Just because of the hordes and how the zombies acted I found it to be one of the best open world games yet despite it not having a massive amount to do in it.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
"While Death Stranding will surely be the most divisive game of this generation, there is no arguing that it offers new ideas on pushing the medium forward and shows that games don't always typically have to be "fun". The story is beautifully presented and is surprisingly restrained and focused for a Kojima title. All of the actors put on amazing performances and while its gameplay will be too slow for many, those willing to peel back the layers will discover a thoughtfully designed experience that will leave you ruminating for weeks after finishing."

That's from a reviewer that gave the game a 100.

That's a lot of negative for a game that got a perfect score. I know some people are more into the artistic side of games, but normally I play games because they're fun.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Afraid? If it was so then the game would be 90+ rn. Its a divisive game hence so many perfect scores and still 84 which counters what you wrote. The people you quoted have cherry picked lines off those reviews which are pages long and have content and reasons for their scores.
"Afraid", as in the high scores don't match up with the content of their reviews, they sound a lot more negative than the score is alluding to.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
Whoa, EDGE going HAM.
I do pick their magazines up when I see them, I will be looking out for this one for sure.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 month): History of hostility towards members and staff, recently returned from related 1 week ban
good lord, even some of the lower scores seem inflated considering how harsh they are explaining their issues with the game
Man this is probably going to get savaged once the public starts playing this. The way the Beastcast is describing this game...
I've read through a few others as well.
Whew that Edge review (whenever it comes out lol) is going to be something else.

I feel that a moderator should be held in a higher standard than these posts.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
It's considered divisive because the Kojima standard was incredibly well received games by the press, and this one clearly isn't. MGS2-V were amongst the highest rated games of their respective year, if not the highest, while here it won't even be top 20.

Let's not try to bury the lead, even if it is getting good scores ultimately.

Agreed. It's a good score overall, but most people were expecting far better from a AAA Kojima/Sony title. The poll is evidence.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
"Death Stranding is the GRAN TURISMO of walking simulators"
God I love overly long fully self aware pretentious Tim Rogers.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Asking that reviewers actually finish the game is a move I am totally behind.

should be a standard. Trying to twist that into something bad is dumb and immature.