• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So if the publisher didn't write that in the guide some might publish their reviews without finishing the game?
I don't think it's particularly required to complete a game to be able to give an analysis of it - especially if more than 40 hours in you didn't enjoy it. It could even be a review "in-progress" but this blocks that

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
The difference is that they're all random side things, usually unrelated to the main objective. It's all usually just optional stuff, right?

The journey in Death Stranding, however, isn't optional - it's stuff that happens to you while trying to reach your objective. It's about being dealt a bad hand and dealing with it. That's what is interesting. It's not about "Oh, I see something to the side that I want to investigate" - it's about "How the heck can I get through this area?!". Everything that happens along the road is part of that mission rather than optional things.

Yep, me too

Just wanted to chime in and say that your comments about this game tingling your classic sense of wonder, from the days when games would regularly shock and surprise, are making me more excited to jump into this experience than any of the reviews I skimmed (I'm quite scared of spoilers for this experience heh).

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Do you think the next project should be a tight linear game or should open world be the de facto for Kojima?

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
I'm all in. Don't care about the slow pace. The world is so beautiful can't wait to explore it.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I regret reading the comments in the Stevivor review

Holy shit people are toxic, this place is actually the most civil place on the internet to discuss the reviews right now

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
The reviews are as expected. But I for sure didn't expect a 95% from 4players.de - I think it's their highest rated game ever and they are known for rather strict scores. On the other hand they often love "special" games. Can't wait for next week to find out for myself.

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
easy skip

a game about walking and delivering sounds dull as fuck. If this was any other game it would be slammed.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
well apparently reviews doesnt match up with the score and it has happened with many games this year

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting flashes to how the original Shenmue was received. A unique work by a visionary madman that will not be everyone's cup of tea. I look forward to it.

toph

Oct 28, 2017
After seeing some reviews and footage now, I'm confident in my decision to wait a while to play this one. I don't feel the need to play this "to see what it is" and the gameplay seems repetitive and boring to me. I'll play it once it goes on sale I guess.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Luigi's Mansion 3 (86 meta) perfect 10 scores: 2
Death Stranding (84) perfect 10s scores: 13

This is odd

It's kinda reminiscent of the GTA4 98 situation, people are afraid of giving lower than usual/norm scores to the biggest names in the industry.
Afraid? If it was so then the game would be 90+ rn. Its a divisive game hence so many perfect scores and still 84 which counters what you wrote. The people you quoted have cherry picked lines off those reviews which are pages long and have content and reasons for their scores.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Wonder how many others will land later. From the sounds of this, the score might take a hit if this applies to others.
GQ in particular doesn't give a number in their analyses, so nothing will change the average if it's up to them. In total, there should be another 40 reviews or so to be published and counted.

I'm playing Witcher 3 on Switch right now and I always feel like there's something to do while I'm riding on Roach. There's always something happening in the distance whether its a bandit camp, a cave, an actual quest, or monsters protecting treasure lol
That's true, and yet I feel it's what Darkx was saying: that something happening is another mission, another fight, but not the act of traversing the space itself. It's a format where you move as a means to get to the next mark, so secondary that you could activate a line and follow it to that next point of interest.

For better or worse, the focus here is about how you get from A to B, instead of what new content you get to unlock while wandering around.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
I like that its divisive. Shows that individual expectations and tastes really make or break this game, it does not seem to have many universal good or bad mechanics, the mechanics are there and they are amazing or terrible depending on your individual disposition.

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
I do not understand why people think that 84-85 is bad. This is the place of games like Control and The Outer Worlds, loved by many here. I know there are expectations with Kojima, but it's a game like any other, and got a great rating.

Reviews are, at least partly, designed to tell readers what they want to hear. High profile games from developers with a large and outspoken fanbase will typically receive reviews that skew to the upside to keep fans happy.

Remedy and Obsidian don't have the sheer number of unstable fans to dissuade poor reviews. They live and die on the genuine quality of their games.

Whereas Kojima has released an unfinished game that received a score in the 90s.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Do you think the next project should be a tight linear game or should open world be the de facto for Kojima?

MGS1-3 are generally regarded as his best games, while MGSV was divisive, and this probably will be too, so... I guess linear?

I don't think it has to be that binary. There are good and bad approaches to both.

ANDS

Banned
Jun 25, 2019
The comments about the game becoming linear towards the end are kind of baffling; how could it not?

I do not understand why people think that 84-85 is bad. This is the place of games like Control and The Outer Worlds, loved by many here. I know there are expectations with Kojima, but it's a game like any other, and got a great rating.

I was going to say The Outer Worlds has a higher "recommends" rating on OpenCritic, but it doesn't by much. Something tells me this is getting the Kojima-effect from folks in the thread, in that they expected more, more than say Obsidian (which is odd given their latest output).

As to the talks of divisive, there are a handful of "middling" scores and then two unequivocally bad ones. Then you look at Luigi's Mansion, which has the exact same score, but it's top heavy.

TLDR: If you love this type of game (and I certainly do) you are probably going to get your moneys worth.

MGS1-3 are generally regarded as his best games, while MGSV was divisive, and this probably will be too, so... I guess linear?

According to who? That game is almost universally recommended.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
You know a game is divisive as hell when it's got an 84 meta with lower reviews from big outlets and can still find enough perfect scores to make an accolades trailer on par with BotW or God of War.

MILKGOLOLBAD

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 5, 2019
Polarizing is correct, jeez.
Predicted 75-79, glad to see it doing better than my pessimistic prediction. We need Kojima, like it or not.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017

Wonder how many others will land later. From the sounds of this, the score might take a hit if this applies to others.

Might be offset by people not willing to finish it...

There's no review of Death Stranding in the next issue of Edge because the embargo insisted we finish the game before we could review it. Print deadline was a factor, but we ran out of enthusiasm long before we ran out of time.
Put it this way: we probably won't be reviewing it in the following issue either.
Or put it this way: I told my wife this morning that the Death Stranding reviews were out and she said, 'Oh, is that the game about backpacks that you hated?'

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
That IGN review was poorly written. Didn't actually explain in detail about the mechanics like Gamespot did. I get that he didn't like the game but atleast be professional about it.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I agree. I just finished reading the easy allies review. The words don't feel like it matches the score. I'm seeing this over and over again. Feels like a much lower score than what is described in the review.
Yep, exactly the Easy Allies review says something like "the game presents some elements but rarely adds depth to them" or something like this with another phrasing, which is kind of worrying for me. It seems that the combat is pretty bad overall (too easy and too basic) and that even if traversal has some good depth to it, it's a long game with a lot of samey missions. I'll play the game as I have some interest, but if RDR II was heavily criticized after launch because of the bad level design and combat (which I agree), I can't imagine how this forum will be in 10 days.

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
I regret reading the comments in the Stevivor review

Holy shit people are toxic, this place is actually the most civil place on the internet to discuss the reviews right now
I'm curious but it's dead now.

m7BZ1MX.png

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
The difference is that they're all random side things, usually unrelated to the main objective. It's all usually just optional stuff, right?

The journey in Death Stranding, however, isn't optional - it's stuff that happens to you while trying to reach your objective. It's about being dealt a bad hand and dealing with it. That's what is interesting. It's not about "Oh, I see something to the side that I want to investigate" - it's about "How the heck can I get through this area?!". Everything that happens along the road is part of that mission rather than optional things.

Yep, me too

I will buy the game. I did not preorder HZD but the day you said on the old site, the game is good. I preorder it and my favorite new IP.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Trolling, ignoring the staff post
What happened to all those Era members who "knew" this was gonna be 90+ on MC lol?

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

This is why score aggregation for a small sample size of critics only is useless

Games can be rated "84-85", I don't give a shit, that is meaningless to me and my experience, and one the reasons I avoid using critic aggregators.

Eg, I hate Control in a ton of ways that are well justified for me.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's considered divisive because the Kojima standard was incredibly well received games by the press, and this one clearly isn't. MGS2-V were amongst the highest rated games of their respective year, if not the highest, while here it won't even be top 20.

Let's not try to bury the lead, even if it is getting good scores ultimately.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Reviews are, at least partly, designed to tell readers what they want to hear. High profile games from developers with a large and outspoken fanbase will typically receive reviews that skew to the upside to keep fans happy.

Remedy and Obsidian don't have the sheer number of unstable fans to dissuade poor reviews. They live and die on the genuine quality of their games.

Whereas Kojima has released an unfinished game that received a score in the 90s.

Can you actually evidence this thesis? In this case it has gotten lower grades by some of the most commerially driven sites (IGN, game informer, for instance). I would say your claim needs proof.