• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Why would he do that when he's responsible for creating some of the best gameplay And level design in the industry though?
That's all in the past, with Konami budget and manpower. Seems like with limited resource in KojiPro, the gameplay took a considerable hit. He needed to choose his priorities, and it's story telling and cutscenes. The reviews highlighted them instead.

But seriously, don't take my initial post so seriously.

Nah, he needs to make an anime
I'll allow it.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm really looking forward to ERA threads on this game in the future. I have a feeling it'll be more divisive than the reviews.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
Watched a bunch of reviews and I still can't tell if I'm going to absolutely love this game or if it's going to bore me to tears.
im in the same boat, i mean rdr2 bored me to tears and i doubt ill ever finish it. this might be the same, but honestly the fact that i still have no real idea what to expect is exciting, especially in this day and age

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
But I think that's the person your replying to's point. 4 *shouldn't* be the bottom of the barrel - that's what a 1 is for. If it doesn't matter if a game got a 2 or a 4, then what the point of having a 1-3 in your review scale?

The bottom half of the scale needs to be exercised far more. Astral Chain got a 2 from some outlet, and that should be ok, but for some reason it felt like that score was telling us that the game was just the worst of the worst - I've not seen another 2 in some time.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
"If Death Stranding wasn't so padded out it could have been something special; instead, we're left with a repetitive letdown that's far more enjoyable to watch than play."

If there's one thing I hate in video games more than bad gameplay, is bad pacing :/

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The Easy Allies review text doesnt match up with the final score at all for me, there seem to be way too many "negatives" to deserve an 8.0, or the positive aspects of the game aren't effectively communicated enough.

Also how many developers would get credit for making players "intentionally bored" or "intentionally frustrated".

I don't want to come off as if I'm part of the kojima is a fraud camp, but I think Kojima is so well respected that any puzzling or poor decision will be given a larger benefit of the doubt than an unknown developer.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I have been listening to 5-6 reviews during my way home, and all of them feel disconnected from the score tbh.

I mean, even the reviews that give the game an 80+ spend a long time talking about repetitive gameplay, basic combat, bad boss design etc... which is kind of surprising for a Kojima game.

I have never been really hyped about this one, so it's not shocking to me, but having the new Kojima game of all thing having a lesser overall score than 2 recent far less hyped and marketed games is really crazy. And adding to this the strange disconnection between good average scores but harsh criticisms in most reviews is even stranger.

Well, I'll say my thing in a few weeks, but knowing that the gameplay is basic and that the mission structure is that repetitive makes me fear this not be that great for me.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Wonder how many others will land later. From the sounds of this, the score might take a hit if this applies to others.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
What I'm saying is that the traversal from point A to B is something I genuinely loathe in most open world games today. It's why I felt The Witcher 3 was a step back from 2 and why those massive Assassin's Creed games do nothing for me these days. I don't find the space between points engaging in any way.

I'm playing Witcher 3 on Switch right now and I always feel like there's something to do while I'm riding on Roach. There's always something happening in the distance whether its a bandit camp, a cave, an actual quest, or monsters protecting treasure lol

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Honselty think GOTY is Fallen Order's to lose now. Everything about that game has been extremely positive.

Scipio

Apr 18, 2019
I do not understand why people think that 84-85 is bad. This is the place of games like Control and The Outer Worlds, loved by many here. I know there are expectations with Kojima, but it's a game like any other, and got a great rating.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
I was looking forward to a combat-lean game, where the challenge is route-, resource-, and weight-planning/management. But I am so turned off by long expositions in games... Utterly conflicted over this game.

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
Just eyeballing, but doesn't this feel like a much more divisive 84 meta than most others? I'm too sleepy to open Excel but I feel like the distribution of where score are landing is much broader than other games that would average 84 but be a lot tighter distribution around the low and high 80s.

or am I just crazy?

It is somewhat odd for an 84 game to get so many 10s. Gears 5 and Outer World have similar rating with far fewer perfect scores. So yes the variance is unusually high.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wait if everybody shares the same world how this game is going to be good if all the ladders and bridges has already been constructed when someone jumps 1 year later ?

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Man just looking at this OP is nuts haha, there's so many varying scores. It's really difficult to nail down a consensus with this game and I kinda like that way? Let's me go into the game and come up with my own thoughts.
Good. Review aggregators normalizing games/movies/music being given a percentage pass or fail rating that you consume at a glance is garbage.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
People talk about how obnoxious Kojima's fans are and they worship him but usually it's people with an axe to grind against Kojima coming into these threads and making sure they're heard.

Critique is valid but using lazy dev rhetoric is not a way to make your argument.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Varying degrees of awful, like i said. Do you really care if a game is awful, really really awful or the worst shit ever? They're awfull all three
Yes, because some something awful might have some kind of redeeming qualities.

That said, I'm not super into review scores as a thing anyway - it's just a number that some people get too worked up about and I'd much rather read the detail as to what people think of a game. But if you're going to use a scale, you should be able to use all of it.

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
Wait if everybody shares the same world how this game is going to be good if all the ladders and bridges has already been constructed when someone jumps 1 year later ?

A) Not everyone, it seems. Youre placed with SOME other players, but I dont think EVERYONE is on the same server. It would be chaos.
B) Structures from players wear down over time thanks to Timefall.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It is somewhat odd for an 84 game to get so many 10s. Gears 5 and Outer World have similar rating with far fewer perfect scores. So yes the variance is unusually high.

The Outer Worlds was unanimously praised and I don't know of any major outlets that didn't like the game but didn't have as many 10s, while DS is getting more perfect scores but has numerous outlets giving it a 7 or lower

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm playing Witcher 3 on Switch right now and I always feel like there's something to do while I'm riding on Roach. There's always something happening in the distance whether its a bandit camp, a cave, an actual quest, or monsters protecting treasure lol
The difference is that they're all random side things, usually unrelated to the main objective. It's all usually just optional stuff, right?

The journey in Death Stranding, however, isn't optional - it's stuff that happens to you while trying to reach your objective. It's about being dealt a bad hand and dealing with it. That's what is interesting. It's not about "Oh, I see something to the side that I want to investigate" - it's about "How the heck can I get through this area?!". Everything that happens along the road is part of that mission rather than optional things.

If there's one thing I hate in video games more than bad gameplay, is bad pacing :/
Yep, me too

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
I do not understand why people think that 84-85 is bad. This is the place of games like Control and The Outer Worlds, loved by many here. I know there are expectations with Kojima, but it's a game like any other, and got a great rating.

Kojima's name holds weight. For better and for worse... heck, look at the OT for this very thread. His name is attached to very high scoring games. This is what happens when you plaster your name to a game so hard. There's good and there's bad. Some people put Kojima to a very high standard so 85 is actually disappointing to them.

Oct 26, 2017

Whether an item shows up in EpicGamer69's world is random chance and based on some probability distribution. You probably can't get more than some certain amount of items into your game.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm 13 minutes into the giant bomb coverage and I've already seen amazing quotes like:-

"You can upgrade how long the "like" window lasts so you can add more likes to objects."

"I've liked captain Dong's electric trike over 340 times!"

How they describe it, it sounds both amazing, and awful and certainly one of a kind.

I'm really glad it exists and really interested to see how people take to it.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia

The world doesn't get populated with ladders/bridges until you do a first-run with it in the story to connect it with the network.

You'll always play a non-constructed version of the game first.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Pretty much every review has found it nearly impossible to praise the gameplay in any meaningful way. Even the very highly scored ones.

Once the honeymoon phase is over for this game... whew.

Yeah even the 9/10 scores has phrases like "audaciously boring".

Quotes like " The opening hours of the game are cut-scene heavy, creating intrigue that just about drives you forward to the point when you're 35 hours in and losing the will to zigzag up another vertical slope."

and still giving it a 4/5.

In a few months to a year I can see the backlash being GTA4 levels.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
I have been listening to 5-6 reviews during my way home, and all of them feel disconnected from the score tbh.

I mean, even the reviews that give the game an 80+ spend a long time talking about repetitive gameplay, basic combat, bad boss design etc... which is kind of surprising for a Kojima game.

I have never been really hyped about this one, so it's not shocking to me, but having the new Kojima game of all thing having a lesser overall score than 2 recent far less hyped and marketed games is really crazy. And adding to this the strange disconnection between good average scores but harsh criticisms in most reviews is even stranger.

Well, I'll say my thing in a few weeks, but knowing that the gameplay is basic and that the mission structure is that repetitive makes me fear this not be that great for me.
I agree. I just finished reading the easy allies review. The words don't feel like it matches the score. I'm seeing this over and over again. Feels like a much lower score than what is described in the review.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Luigi's Mansion 3 (86 meta) perfect 10 scores: 2
Death Stranding (84) perfect 10s scores: 13

This is odd

I don't want to come off as if I'm part of the kojima is a fraud camp, but I think Kojima is so well respected that any puzzling or poor decision will be given a larger benefit of the doubt than an unknown developer.

The Easy Allies review text doesnt match up with the final score at all for me, there seem to be way too many "negatives" to deserve an 8.0, or the positive aspects of the game aren't effectively communicated enough.

Also how many developers would get credit for making players "intentionally bored" or "intentionally frustrated".

It's kinda reminiscent of the GTA4 98 situation, people are afraid of giving lower than usual/norm scores to the biggest names in the industry.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This with mgs5 like gameplay would of probably been goty. Less focus on combat sound likes a huge step back for Kojima.

Oct 28, 2017
User banned (3 days): trolling, ignoring staff post
I couldn't disagree with that IGN quote more.

On paper, yes, but it's the mechanics that completely change things up.

Here's the thing - most open world games focus on what happens when you arrive at your destination. The space between the objective and starting point is useless, empty space - you hold forward on the stick and you go. There's not usually much there.

Death Stranding inverts that - the arrival at your way point isn't usually the payoff - it's the journey.

Here's some examples..

I need to reach my objective in a stony field with large chasms running through it. I had a lot of things to carry and could barely walk with them so I loaded everything into a truck and hit the road. Unfortunately, I tried to jump a large chasm and missed - the truck fell into the chasm. Ruined, I climbed out of it and tried to consider my options. However, this commotion triggered a nearby camp (they have these pylons which scan for cargo). You can hear them above the chasm and then they start climbing down after me. So I open up the truck inventory quickly, grab a few supplies for combat and run.

Then I spent time taking out the patrol one by one (non-lethal - since killing leads to a voidout which blows a huge crater in the map).

After dispatching them, I returned to the truck and transported things piece by piece up the side of the chasm back to the surface. Carrying everything would be too difficult so I made my way to the bandit camp where the enemies had arrived from. Managed to steal one of their trucks and get back to my pile of stuff where I could load it up. I was able to continue my delivery route to the next way point until BTs appeared and the battery on the truck ran low (and since I wasn't in the Chrial network, I couldn't build a charge station). So I grabbed the key items for the mission and continued on foot, sneaking through BTs. Eventually, I made it to the top of a mountain (looking something like Mars at this point) and used the steep terrain as an excuse to run down the hill while trying to keep balance. Then - the objective was reached.

A simple little story but it's this type of occurrence - things going wrong on the road - that makes for such a memorable time.
Sounds fantastic. I can imagine that the schlockloving plebs of the gaming community rather play endless shooters than this but to us cultured gamers, this sounds like a breath of fresh air 💖