• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
I couldn't disagree with that IGN quote more.

On paper, yes, but it's the mechanics that completely change things up.

Here's the thing - most open world games focus on what happens when you arrive at your destination. The space between the objective and starting point is useless, empty space - you hold forward on the stick and you go. There's not usually much there.

Death Stranding inverts that - the arrival at your way point isn't usually the payoff - it's the journey.

Here's some examples..

I need to reach my objective in a stony field with large chasms running through it. I had a lot of things to carry and could barely walk with them so I loaded everything into a truck and hit the road. Unfortunately, I tried to jump a large chasm and missed - the truck fell into the chasm. Ruined, I climbed out of it and tried to consider my options. However, this commotion triggered a nearby camp (they have these pylons which scan for cargo). You can hear them above the chasm and then they start climbing down after me. So I open up the truck inventory quickly, grab a few supplies for combat and run.

Then I spent time taking out the patrol one by one (non-lethal - since killing leads to a voidout which blows a huge crater in the map).

After dispatching them, I returned to the truck and transported things piece by piece up the side of the chasm back to the surface. Carrying everything would be too difficult so I made my way to the bandit camp where the enemies had arrived from. Managed to steal one of their trucks and get back to my pile of stuff where I could load it up. I was able to continue my delivery route to the next way point until BTs appeared and the battery on the truck ran low (and since I wasn't in the Chrial network, I couldn't build a charge station). So I grabbed the key items for the mission and continued on foot, sneaking through BTs. Eventually, I made it to the top of a mountain (looking something like Mars at this point) and used the steep terrain as an excuse to run down the hill while trying to keep balance. Then - the objective was reached.

A simple little story but it's this type of occurrence - things going wrong on the road - that makes for such a memorable time.

Honestly, you make it sound amazing and unique. I usually dislike the walking bits in open world games, because like you said: the focus is on the destination. Noticeable exceptions out there of course.

But if this game can flip the whole thing on its head. Respect.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Man just looking at this OP is nuts haha, there's so many varying scores. It's really difficult to nail down a consensus with this game and I kinda like that way? Let's me go into the game and come up with my own thoughts.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017

Here's the thing - most open world games focus on what happens when you arrive at your destination. The space between the objective and starting point is useless, empty space - you hold forward on the stick and you go. There's not usually much there.

Death Stranding inverts that - the arrival at your way point isn't usually the payoff - it's the journey.

Here's some examples..

I need to reach my objective in a stony field with large chasms running through it. I had a lot of things to carry and could barely walk with them so I loaded everything into a truck and hit the road. Unfortunately, I tried to jump a large chasm and missed - the truck fell into the chasm. Ruined, I climbed out of it and tried to consider my options. However, this commotion triggered a nearby camp (they have these pylons which scan for cargo). You can hear them above the chasm and then they start climbing down after me. So I open up the truck inventory quickly, grab a few supplies for combat and run.

Then I spent time taking out the patrol one by one (non-lethal - since killing leads to a voidout which blows a huge crater in the map).

After dispatching them, I returned to the truck and transported things piece by piece up the side of the chasm back to the surface. Carrying everything would be too difficult so I made my way to the bandit camp where the enemies had arrived from. Managed to steal one of their trucks and get back to my pile of stuff where I could load it up. I was able to continue my delivery route to the next way point until BTs appeared and the battery on the truck ran low (and since I wasn't in the Chrial network, I couldn't build a charge station). So I grabbed the key items for the mission and continued on foot, sneaking through BTs. Eventually, I made it to the top of a mountain (looking something like Mars at this point) and used the steep terrain as an excuse to run down the hill while trying to keep balance. Then - the objective was reached.

A simple little story but it's this type of occurrence - things going wrong on the road - that makes for such a memorable time.
Thanks for this. Yeah engaging traversal mechanic is why I loved Spider-man and BotW and why AC Odyssey absolutely bored me to death. When you climb a tower in BotW and you see an orange shrine quite far into the horizon, and you know you can't possibly just glide there all the way, it becomes an interesting choice between gliding, running, taming and riding a horse, climbing another tall structure so you can glide further, all while managing your stamina and clothing. The journey to reach that shrine is equally challenging as the shrine itself.

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
It WAS a challening review to play and write. I wouldn't have it any other way personally.

I also love that some of the others have given lower scores. Like I wrote, DS is a very personaly experience. For Kojima, but for the player as well. Trust me in this: the only way to find out if Death Stranding is up your alley is by playing it, and playing it extensively.

Or to be so bold to quote myself:

The amount of detail that goes into this work, combined with the outstanding presentation of the game, results in a very special experience indeed. And a very personal one. Multiple factors influence the amount of enjoyment you will get out of Death Stranding. Will you be disappointed that the game is in essence a postman simulator? Are you open to an astounding story where Kojima combines all sorts of philosophies about life, death and heaven with experiences and encounters he had in the past couple of years in his own life? And are you someone that pauses on the top of a hill after a long hike, enjoys the view and perhaps, for a fraction of a moment, even contemplates the meaning of existence?

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"Death Stranding does belong in an art gallery more than it does sitting on consoles next to more traditional "games". As I sit here to write this, I am fully convinced that there are going to be plenty of reviews from my peers that veer to the other extreme as far as their scores go. And fair enough, because as a "game" Death Stranding doesn't do much. But as a work of art, Death Stranding is something mesmerising, intelligent, and powerful, and we never see this kind of work within the big budget, blockbuster space.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
Heh, I love the Eurogamer review, where the reviewer wonders if Kojima has always been so full of himself only to come to the conclusion that it's kind of deserved.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Just eyeballing, but doesn't this feel like a much more divisive 84 meta than most others? I'm too sleepy to open Excel but I feel like the distribution of where score are landing is much broader than other games that would average 84 but be a lot tighter distribution around the low and high 80s.

or am I just crazy?

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
a friend of mine criticized me for beating Outer Worlds with a "speech playthrough" because I talked the final boss out of fighting me and he/she/it simply gave up. My friend (a huge devil may cry fan and your average "hardcore gamer") told me: "so you didn't play the game, that sounds boring."
Don't know why they think a game not focusing on combat means the game doesn't have gameplay worth playing!

Well said. My current GOTY contenders both have zero combat (Outer Wilds and Disco Elysium). You can argue Elysium has some in the form of dialogue skill checks, but there's maybe a handful of such instances that aren't even controlled by you directly (dialogue tree selections).

As someone that appreciates a good walking sim experience I'm curious how this will resonate with me, and what's been shown so far of the story has really piqued my interest so here's hoping the base delivery gameplay loop can keep me glued in for the entire ride. The divisiveness on display in these reviews has just strengthened my general interest towards DS all the more. Now for the week long wait for release :/

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
A score I expected, would probably be a bit lower if not for the brand name of Sir Kojima Sensei. I saw trouble the moment he needed a 50 minute demo to show what the game is about and still fail, and traveling all the way to Germany just to announce his buddy Keighley in the game, and that you can piss in the game.

People expected His Higness Kojima Sensei to deliver the definitive game of this generation, with a score at least in the mid 90s.

Accuses others of confirmation bias...exhibits extreme confirmation bias...people look for what they want to see, and this is a textbook example of that.

danrbg

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
I also find it interesting how almost every review I have read so far has commented that the game will be divisive. Even the perfect scores note that the game won't be for everyone. I've never really seen a game get good scores but then simultaneously say it is divisive
This sounds like a soccer team that wins 3-0 playing ugly.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Given the hype and the name of Kojima I was expecting lots of 10s, not because I think he gest free passes, but because he never made an unfunny game. This is sounding a bit like RDR2 which I have abandoned. I don't know... I think I'm still going to buying it.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I hear you... but this sounds similar to that same moment to moment gameplay that got so old and repetitive to me in MGSV that I dropped it. "When things go wrong, thats when the fun begins!" Ehhh...
This sounds the exact opposite of MGSV where like nothing happened in the world until you got to an enemy base

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
actually relieved this didn't spill out with a bunch of 9/10 and 10/10s. in which case we'd be arguing over how "overrated" it is some months from now

game sounds about what i expected and i'm looking forward to it. some gameplay elements look pretty annoying and obtuse but i can see myself getting acclimated

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just eyeballing, but doesn't this feel like a much more divisive 84 meta than most others? I'm too sleepy to open Excel but I feel like the distribution of where score are landing is much broader than other games that would average 84 but be a lot tighter distribution around the low and high 80s.

or am I just crazy?

Even the perfect review scores say that the game is either going to be divisive or that there's serious issues

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
95% by 4Players.de:

Death Stranding is a masterpiece. Hideo Kojima stages a memorable adventure that will be talked about for many years to come. It is visionary, demonic, Kafkaesque, socio-critical and playful down to the smallest fibre. Here the Japanese culture with its symbiosis of high-tech and supernatural meets the big screen of Hollywood. After the bizarre and fascinating introduction, an epic experience unfolds at the highest audiovisual and acting level. You don't experience an avant-garde experiment, but a tangible struggle for the survival of a society threatened by isolation and death. That's surreal brainfucking in places, but on a very solid foundation, with much reminiscent of Metal Gear Solid: The Phantom Pain. In the role of a messenger you climb, march, sneak, drive, fight, flee, fall, build, clock and collect - with a baby in front of your chest that makes the demons as visible as Tolkien's ring spirits. While the story tells and surprises on several levels, the game mechanics march like a new Frankenstein: you experience a creative mixture of survival, horror, stealth and action, which is enriched by new ideas even after dozens of hours. You've just been torn into the abyss by black hands, then a robot marches off singing with its cargo! You wander through a dystopian America with magnificent landscapes, an unbelievable devotion to details and nasty surprises. The tradition that perceptibly ties to Metal Gear via codec, structure & co is a nice constant, but Snake only greets from a distance: Death Stranding is different, more mature in design and much more penetrating. Is this a new genre? Strandlikes, for instance? No, I don't see that. But much more important than a drawer is: it's an impressive game that creeps onto the couch with its digital messages in an uncanny way. You enjoy, you reflect, you scare. Hideo Kojima is already a legendary game designer. But with this extraordinary adventure he reaches his zenith.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Here's a shot just before things went bad ha ha

http:///QNKd.jpg
One of the things I loved is that things going "wrong" is still super fun. I got the truck stuck in the stones around that same time and just using the jump button to ricochet around the stones, getting stuck again and unstuck while the timer ticked down was really fun. By that point the battery ran out before I made it to the destination and I had to truck the rest of the way on foot, until I found a bike someone left. There's a lot of cool dynamic possibilities with the social multiplayer, no two people will have the same game world or same experience

FFObsessed

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Here's some examples..

This sounds like a much more advanced version of what made me love Days Gone's open world so much. Your journey dynamically changing and being affected by the other elements of the game world.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
I also find it interesting how almost every review I have read so far has commented that the game will be divisive. Even the perfect scores note that the game won't be for everyone. I've never really seen a game get good scores but then simultaneously say it is divisive
Yeah I'm seeing that pattern too. I kinda don't like that review style. Feels like making excuses for a bad game.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I hear you... but this sounds similar to that same moment to moment gameplay that got so old and repetitive to me in MGSV that I dropped it. "When things go wrong, thats when the fun begins!" Ehhh...
uh?

MGS5's world is completely static and you have to make things happen yourself if you want to have fun.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
There is something to be said for making an open world game that is truly original.

I mean, that just doens't really happen.

Oct 27, 2017

Here's some examples..

MGSV-style emergent gameplay is the biggest reason I'm looking forward to this. Glad to hear they delivered on that front.

Trickytoon

Jan 14, 2018
The Easy Allies review text doesnt match up with the final score at all for me, there seem to be way too many "negatives" to deserve an 8.0, or the positive aspects of the game aren't effectively communicated enough.

Also how many developers would get credit for making players "intentionally bored" or "intentionally frustrated".

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Anything on the different difficulty modes and how they actually affect the game? I'm not sold on the gameplay yet but the story and world seem extremely intriguing.

dmr87

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden

Here's some examples..

Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Which review describes that?
IGN
One particularly torturous mission required me to carry a hefty weight on my back through a visibility-masking snowstorm and over near-vertical stretches of terrain. It took me 51 minutes to complete. Spending close to an hour schlepping heavy cargo through waist-deep snow, up and down mountains, constantly pushing against fierce winds, in a pair of shoes that wear out over time isn't an enjoyable video game mission

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man this is probably going to get savaged once the public starts playing this. The way the Beastcast is describing this game...

I'm almost an hour into this and they are struggling to say anything positive. Literally every time they think of something positive to say you can hear them straining and then comes the negative again.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
But I think that's the person your replying to's point. 4 *shouldn't* be the bottom of the barrel - that's what a 1 is for. If it doesn't matter if a game got a 2 or a 4, then what the point of having a 1-3 in your review scale?

Varying degrees of awful, like i said. Do you really care if a game is awful, really really awful or the worst shit ever? They're awfull all three

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's honestly reviewed right where I expected (minus that super negative 35 review) and I'm very happy it's so unique.

Can't wait to play!

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like this is a massive overgeneralization that is generally untrue, and a description of a scenario where the game state is constantly reset to 0 to frustrate progress until you do busywork to start it again sounds absolutely awful.
This is based on my experience with open world games. I know a lot of people love them.

What I'm saying is that the traversal from point A to B is something I genuinely loathe in most open world games today. It's why I felt The Witcher 3 was a step back from 2 and why those massive Assassin's Creed games do nothing for me these days. I don't find the space between points engaging in any way.

I think it's the inventory management, weight/momentum and challenging navigation that make DS compelling. It's not just about finding a way point and going there.

This is all just my own opinion based on playing many open world games this generation.