• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the thing - most open world games focus on what happens when you arrive at your destination. The space between the objective and starting point is useless, empty space - you hold forward on the stick and you go. There's not usually much there.
I feel like this is a massive overgeneralization that is generally untrue, and a description of a scenario where the game state is constantly reset to 0 to frustrate progress until you do busywork to start it again sounds absolutely awful.

Oct 31, 2017
...Since when did a game over 80 become divisive. Anything over an 80 is good. Especially mid to high 80s, which this.Spider-Man and Horizon, Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion. Come on now.
Since we've sat through two years of Kojima touting around on his arm celebrities only tangentially related to gaming, while they constantly grin and say he's changing the world of gaming forever. I imagine if such loaded language describing the game in previews over the last couple years hadn't primed a large part of this community to believe Kojima was about to become the Deathwing to gaming's Azeroth, we wouldn't be thinking much of something in the 80's scale as divisive. Overhype is the death of us all. It's the reason Jim Sterling's review of BotW nearly made Era implode when any reasonable response would be that it's just one person's opinion and who cares anyway?

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
I couldn't disagree with that IGN quote more.

On paper, yes, but it's the mechanics that completely change things up.

Here's the thing - most open world games focus on what happens when you arrive at your destination. The space between the objective and starting point is useless, empty space - you hold forward on the stick and you go. There's not usually much there.

Death Stranding inverts that - the arrival at your way point isn't usually the payoff - it's the journey.

Here's some examples..

I need to reach my objective in a stony field with large chasms running through it. I had a lot of things to carry and could barely walk with them so I loaded everything into a truck and hit the road. Unfortunately, I tried to jump a large chasm and missed - the truck fell into the chasm. Ruined, I climbed out of it and tried to consider my options. However, this commotion triggered a nearby camp (they have these pylons which scan for cargo). You can hear them above the chasm and then they start climbing down after me. So I open up the truck inventory quickly, grab a few supplies for combat and run.

Then I spent time taking out the patrol one by one (non-lethal - since killing leads to a voidout which blows a huge crater in the map).

After dispatching them, I returned to the truck and transported things piece by piece up the side of the chasm back to the surface. Carrying everything would be too difficult so I made my way to the bandit camp where the enemies had arrived from. Managed to steal one of their trucks and get back to my pile of stuff where I could load it up. I was able to continue my delivery route to the next way point until BTs appeared and the battery on the truck ran low (and since I wasn't in the Chrial network, I couldn't build a charge station). So I grabbed the key items for the mission and continued on foot, sneaking through BTs. Eventually, I made it to the top of a mountain (looking something like Mars at this point) and used the steep terrain as an excuse to run down the hill while trying to keep balance. Then - the objective was reached.

A simple little story but it's this type of occurrence - things going wrong on the road - that makes for such a memorable time.
Pretty much what I was hoping for the actual gameplay to be like. Emergent stories popping up from things not going exactly how you planned. And I like the idea of having to go non-lethal to prevent voidouts. Sounds like it could lead to some pretty tense moments. Really interested to see just how much the world will change over the course of a playthrough.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

Death Stranding inverts that - the arrival at your way point isn't usually the payoff - it's the journey.

Here's some examples..

I need to reach my objective in a stony field with large chasms running through it. I had a lot of things to carry and could barely walk with them so I loaded everything into a truck and hit the road. Unfortunately, I tried to jump a large chasm and missed - the truck fell into the chasm. Ruined, I climbed out of it and tried to consider my options. However, this commotion triggered a nearby camp (they have these pylons which scan for cargo). You can hear them above the chasm and then they start climbing down after me. So I open up the truck inventory quickly, grab a few supplies for combat and run.

Then I spent time taking out the patrol one by one (non-lethal - since killing leads to a voidout which blows a huge crater in the map).

After dispatching them, I returned to the truck and transported things piece by piece up the side of the chasm back to the surface. Carrying everything would be too difficult so I made my way to the bandit camp where the enemies had arrived from. Managed to steal one of their trucks and get back to my pile of stuff where I could load it up. I was able to continue my delivery route to the next way point until BTs appeared and the battery on the truck ran low (and since I wasn't in the Chrial network, I couldn't build a charge station). So I grabbed the key items for the mission and continued on foot, sneaking through BTs. Eventually, I made it to the top of a mountain (looking something like Mars at this point) and used the steep terrain as an excuse to run down the hill while trying to keep balance. Then - the objective was reached.

A simple little story but it's this type of occurrence - things going wrong on the road - that makes for such a memorable time.
thats an awesome story.
great analysis video btw!

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
The game is getting fantastic scores but I hope this at least tempers down on the whole self indulgence thing with Kojima and his enablers.

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
From the IGN review, thought this was interesting
That's kinda hilarious.

The worst part of their review was the fast-travel system. Like I can see why it is restricted to certain points and that's totally fine, but the 4 cutscenes that you all have to skip individually sound like torture. MGS4 at times had the exact same problem.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Hearing that there are backtracking moments in this game really has me bummed. I absolutely loathe backtracking in any game. I'm so glad DMC5 got rid of that shit but to see it pop up in Death Stranding of all things is just :/

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Even the more positive reviews feel like they're battling with the game.

One review that gave the game an 8.5 said he struggled and wondered if he would ever play the game again, one outlet gave the game a 9 and said its sluggish.

The reviews don't seem to match the scores in a lot of cases.

Nov 4, 2017

Here's some examples..

I was starting to worry that the game might not be for me, but this story has got my hype kicked back up to 11. This is exactly the kind of tense, organic gameplay I'm interested in.

As always, you've given me valuable knowledge and guidance. Thank you!!

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny, because that moment in the bottom MGS4 gif was actually one of my favorites of the entire game. Maybe I'm a masochist but I find it very compelling when games try to make you feel the suffering or the struggle of the game character. It's one of the things I loved the most about The Last Guardian and Red Dead Redemption 2. That build up and struggle often makes the catharsis of payoff that much more powerful.

It's not just your fav, it's a favourite moment of many.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Happy to see many here are excited about a game that is divisive.

I don't know if I'm gonna like it from reading all the reviews but as sure as hell I'm excited to play it and start it.

MThanded

Oct 26, 2017

Here's some examples..

This is the best endorsement so far.

Sounds like understandably its not for everyone but its inversion of focus can be rewarding and dynamic.

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
Reviews seem a lot more negative than the score they're giving. Will have to pick this up and decide for myself

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I have to admit that my first thought at the 6.8 from IGN was "Ah good. Someone else that can't stand his thing". In a way it was strangely cathartic, so when other, far better reviews rolled in, I actually felt much more likely to get the game. I think I'd have been really annoyed had everyone given it 9s and 10s, because Kojimas shtick and the following it generates grates so much I'd feel like he'd fooled everyone all over again.

These scores are much more grounded. He makes, on balance, good games that some people think are amazing and others terrible. That's about where he lands. He's like Tarantino. Good but lauded so much by his fans that they never restrain his worst indulgences which tend to get the better of him.

I saw the IGN review similarly. I find it more reliable to look at the criticisms in a low scoring review (are they deal breakers for me?) and extrapolate the rest of the game is fine or good.

I have more faith in how interesting the experience might end up being than a Kojima game being considered an uncontested masterpiece.

Jan 10, 2018
It seems that yet again Kojima struggles with the open world formula. A game that is 40-60 hours long that is heavily constructed around meaningless fetch quests and long stretches of slow traversal needs as many surprises and non-repetitive sequences as possible. But to have the same three slow cutscenes play every time Sam gets to a safehouse just makes me wonder if Kojima understands the recent criticisms of the open world genre at all (or the criticisms of his own recent work). His conceptual and story-based ideas just seems to be out of proportion when faced with the actual gameplay systems that keep everything together. But I guess this is the reality of a game director that says that watching at least one movie a day is one of his main sources for creative thinking and who is now completely in charge of his own company. For better or worse is the sentiment here I believe.

Here's some examples..

This kind of sounds like fighting the machines in horizon. I'm sold.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Not the same thing.

The issue seems to be that some critics don't find the gameplay fun at a certain point. Destiny has plenty of fetch quests but they're almost always short and the core gameplay never stops being fantastic. It's also not a story-heavy game like Death Stranding is. Expectations are different and context is important.

IGN gives an example of a fetch mission that took 50 minutes and was frustrating the whole time. There is nothing like that in Destiny. It's a different kind of game.

Might want to read some of the impressions just above about how involved a mission can get. Sounds fantastic.

And Destiny, I only play to catch up with friends from other countries on party chat, I got bored of the D2 downgrade a longtime ago.

I'm glad a AAA is taking a risk here. Can't wait to dive into this. The multiplayer aspect sounds great

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I really am shocked to find out the stealth and combat is poor. Even an unfinished game like MGS5 had GREAT combat and stealth. Kojima already had a blueprint!

Good boss battles would be great to break up the monotony of GTA side questing in a barren world.
Do you think he took all of the MGS code/previous works with him when he left Konami or something? He made this game in less than 3 years with no help from a Konami for more employees. Gameplay was never going to be on the level of MGS.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017

Here's some examples..

Posting it again so people should know what they are getting into. Seems like perfect game for me. Just want to know one thing. Is open world like botw or AC origins

Oct 27, 2017

Here's some examples..

Exactly the kind of game I wanted.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)

Here's some examples..

I hear you... but this sounds similar to that same moment to moment gameplay that got so old and repetitive to me in MGSV that I dropped it. "When things go wrong, thats when the fun begins!" Ehhh...

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
where is the guy who told me that the game is not divisive? breakerofbullshit or something similar lol...

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Man this is probably going to get savaged once the public starts playing this. The way the Beastcast is describing this game...

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Here's some examples..

Damn, this perspective is really shifting me into full gear!

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
A score I expected, would probably be a bit lower if not for the brand name of Sir Kojima Sensei. I saw trouble the moment he needed a 50 minute demo to show what the game is about and still fail, and traveling all the way to Germany just to announce his buddy Keighley in the game, and that you can piss in the game.

People expected His Higness Kojima Sensei to deliver the definitive game of this generation, with a score at least in the mid 90s.
There's a boatload if 9+ scores?

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
I've already finished the game a few days ago - my review will be online (for a non-English media) in a day or two (I am also a full-time game developer). But looking at the IGN video review, IMO, we have another Alien Isolation situation - the structure of the review is very shallow (yes, I know we all have some huge NDA restrictions to conform) and need different angles when reviewing an unusual game like DS.

Dark1x DF's video, even though it is not a review article is much more informative about what the game is trying to do. As expected the DS will be a polarizing game, been so different in its execution, but IGN's approach, sadly, is a low-grade affair.

And why are you focusing on the IGN review? There are very well written reviews out there with a similar score and many badly written reviews with lower or higher score.

adumb

Banned
Aug 17, 2019
It's reviewing like challenging works in other mediums often do, and that's EXCITING. You should be excited by this.

I know that for all the bluster about video games being art, 'gamers' don't actually want that. They don't want what that entails. Because this is exactly the kind of thing that entails. They just want their hobby validated by The Smart People, and to be praised for having such good taste in electronic toys.

I haven't played it yet. I might hate it. I might love it. Both are, apparently, very possible outcomes. But I'm looking to find out! The 'AAA' video game space is so incredibly safe and conservative 99.9% of the time, it's exciting to have something that very clearly isn't.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I also find it interesting how almost every review I have read so far has commented that the game will be divisive. Even the perfect scores note that the game won't be for everyone. I've never really seen a game get good scores but then simultaneously say it is divisive

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

Here's some examples..

Sounds so fucking good. This is the general idea I got from watching the E3 2018 trailer and TGS gameplay video. It's about the journey and the memorable moments like that while out on the trail which really amplify the experience. MGSV's systemic design was great so I'm glad Kojima decided to stick with it for Death Stranding.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Watched a bunch of reviews and I still can't tell if I'm going to absolutely love this game or if it's going to bore me to tears.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
But a score of 4 always meant a bottom of the barrel shit. 5 never meant a middling, serviceable game. And below 5 are just variing degrees of awful. Doesnt really matter if its 4 or 2. Game scores can only be compared in the same genre was what i was saying. You cant compare death stranding's score to that of a sports game
But I think that's the person your replying to's point. 4 *shouldn't* be the bottom of the barrel - that's what a 1 is for. If it doesn't matter if a game got a 2 or a 4, then what the point of having a 1-3 in your review scale?

ILPUMAGUERRIERO

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Here's some examples..

Damn, what a trip. Can't wait!

Oct 26, 2017
It's reviewing like challenging works in other mediums often do, and that's EXCITING. You should be excited by this.

I know that for all the bluster about video games being art, 'gamers' don't actually want that. They don't want what that entails. Because this is exactly the kind of thing that entails. They just want their hobby validated by The Smart People, and to be praised for having such good taste in electronic toys.

I haven't played it yet. I might hate it. I might love it. Both are, apparently, very possible outcomes. But I'm looking to find out! The 'AAA' video game space is so incredibly safe and conservative 99.9% of the time, it's exciting to have something that very clearly isn't.

I mean, again, a lot of the criticism is that there's 10-12 hours of cutscenes that are viewed as extremely terrible. That's not really pushing video games as art as much pushing that Kojima is really bad at directing and writing basic dialogue.