• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
From what I have read, the game shines when you connect to the Internet. While I prefer playing alone, this could be the first real game that I engage in online interactions. I did it a bit with Bloodborne but I enjoyed the game much more offline.
DS could be different. I see myself playing online a lot.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
VG24/7 - 3/5
If you do manage to hold out, you will be rewarded with flashes of brilliance, it's just that those flashes are buried as deep as the core story is buried in the endless dialogue. And as profound as it wants to be, this is still a game in which you can equip and unequip your penis so you can piss out Red Bull. The good stuff is waiting for you beyond that piss, beyond the shit grenades, beyond that Ride with Norman Reedus advert unceremoniously plastered into a game universe where I didn't see a single television set. It's just a test of attrition.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I couldn't disagree with that IGN quote more.

On paper, yes, but it's the mechanics that completely change things up.

Here's the thing - most open world games focus on what happens when you arrive at your destination. The space between the objective and starting point is useless, empty space - you hold forward on the stick and you go. There's not usually much there.

Death Stranding inverts that - the arrival at your way point isn't usually the payoff - it's the journey.

Here's some examples..

I need to reach my objective in a stony field with large chasms running through it. I had a lot of things to carry and could barely walk with them so I loaded everything into a truck and hit the road. Unfortunately, I tried to jump a large chasm and missed - the truck fell into the chasm. Ruined, I climbed out of it and tried to consider my options. However, this commotion triggered a nearby camp (they have these pylons which scan for cargo). You can hear them above the chasm and then they start climbing down after me. So I open up the truck inventory quickly, grab a few supplies for combat and run.

Then I spent time taking out the patrol one by one (non-lethal - since killing leads to a voidout which blows a huge crater in the map).

After dispatching them, I returned to the truck and transported things piece by piece up the side of the chasm back to the surface. Carrying everything would be too difficult so I made my way to the bandit camp where the enemies had arrived from. Managed to steal one of their trucks and get back to my pile of stuff where I could load it up. I was able to continue my delivery route to the next way point until BTs appeared and the battery on the truck ran low (and since I wasn't in the Chrial network, I couldn't build a charge station). So I grabbed the key items for the mission and continued on foot, sneaking through BTs. Eventually, I made it to the top of a mountain (looking something like Mars at this point) and used the steep terrain as an excuse to run down the hill while trying to keep balance. Then - the objective was reached.

A simple little story but it's this type of occurrence - things going wrong on the road - that makes for such a memorable time.
thanks for dropping in to share your thoughts!

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
So like most people expected, DS seems to be a very "love it or hate" type of game where you either "get it" and enjoy the ride or be endlessly annoyed and end up hating your experience with it.

Jojo Sonoshe

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 19, 2019
lol imagine having this take
Whats there too imagine?

As a long time MGS fan, Kojima has been nothing but disappointing since MGS3.

MGS4-Terrible boss battles with somehow even less story relevance than 3's. Half assed "stealth on a battlefield" concept the game drops halfway for a terrible and tedious chapter 3, a whatever "just run through it chapter 4, and a lazy "eh 2 rooms of stealth chapter 5". An embarrassing story that chooses to over explain, retcon, and just shit on plots and characters from the previous game.

PW-A stealth game for babies where you can just go in the corner and snipe every enemy, made even easier to do on the console versions. Yet also one of the most tedious and somehow grindy game. Oh you liked MGS games that kept coming up with cool senerios? Well fuck that repeat the same missions to grind for weapons so you can make the boss battles less tedious. They aren't hard, just not all balanced. Also enjoy a story that shits further on MGS3. You thought The Boss was a noble character and her sacrifice was of her own agency? Nope, heres Hot Coldman to take away that nice thought.

MGS5-Boss battles? Dude we stopped having an imagination with those like 3 games ago. Characters? We got a half naked lady you can oggle and further taking away the teeth of Ocelots character. Story? Whats that? Gameplay? Well it feels good to play, but its surrounded by boring mission design and a tedious open world you have to wallow through to get to them.

It's no surprise Death Stranding has come out the way it sounds like it has. The man has not been able to tell a coherent or worthwhile story in over a decade. Hell his attempts have only shat on the crown jewel of the series. His games have been tedious and overblown since the focused days of MGS3 and MGS2.

He's been a hack. This game looked like nonsense and his own ego stroking since it was revealed.

MetalGearZed

Oct 30, 2017
Okay that IGN video review was brutal.

But it also got me thinking. If the ladders from other players are there at the cliff sides for everyone to see and use, are the roads there as well? And won't that remove the boring traversal sections? And in the end make the game a ton more enjoyable as time goes by?

Maybe this is yet another game that shows how day 1 reviews are really doing modern games a huge disservice? Few games are ready day 1. So why should we focus so much about how they are day 1?
I'm playing it on PC next year. Who know what the DS world will look like by then?
Kojima be like: "Let the players design your levels"
giphy.gif

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I can piece together enough to know that I wouldn't like this game that much, but that's simply because it just ain't my thing. I need more stuff to do, and certainly no exposition heavy cutscenes. I can definitely apprieciate how unique this game is, though.
Just highlighting reasonable takes that will get buried in minutes.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Here's the thing - most open world games focus on what happens when you arrive at your destination. The space between the objective and starting point is useless, empty space - you hold forward on the stick and you go. There's not usually much there.

Death Stranding inverts that - the arrival at your way point isn't usually the payoff - it's the journey.

Here's some examples..

I need to reach my objective in a stony field with large chasms running through it. I had a lot of things to carry and could barely walk with them so I loaded everything into a truck and hit the road. Unfortunately, I tried to jump a large chasm and missed - the truck fell into the chasm. Ruined, I climbed out of it and tried to consider my options. However, this commotion triggered a nearby camp (they have these pylons which scan for cargo). You can hear them above the chasm and then they start climbing down after me. So I open up the truck inventory quickly, grab a few supplies for combat and run.

Then I spent time taking out the patrol one by one (non-lethal - since killing leads to a voidout which blows a huge crater in the map).

After dispatching them, I returned to the truck and transported things piece by piece up the side of the chasm back to the surface. Carrying everything would be too difficult so I made my way to the bandit camp where the enemies had arrived from. Managed to steal one of their trucks and get back to my pile of stuff where I could load it up. I was able to continue my delivery route to the next way point until BTs appeared and the battery on the truck ran low (and since I wasn't in the Chrial network, I couldn't build a charge station). So I grabbed the key items for the mission and continued on foot, sneaking through BTs. Eventually, I made it to the top of a mountain (looking something like Mars at this point) and used the steep terrain as an excuse to run down the hill while trying to keep balance. Then - the objective was reached.

A simple little story but it's this type of occurrence - things going wrong on the road - that makes for such a memorable time.
absolutely nailed it! i loved death stranding too, and i find my taste in games usually lines up with yours so it was really nice reading this. i can't blame people for not liking it, but i really loved it.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Here's some examples..

That actually sounds pretty amazing. Thanks.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Easy Allies review is well done as always. Shame to hear the bossfights and combat are not well done.
I really am shocked to find out the stealth and combat is poor. Even an unfinished game like MGS5 had GREAT combat and stealth. Kojima already had a blueprint!

Good boss battles would be great to break up the monotony of GTA side questing in a barren world.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Aren't you a big destiny player, lol?

Not the same thing.

The issue seems to be that some critics don't find the gameplay fun at a certain point. Destiny has plenty of fetch quests but they're almost always short and the core gameplay never stops being fantastic. It's also not a story-heavy game like Death Stranding is. Expectations are different and context is important.

IGN gives an example of a fetch mission that took 50 minutes and was frustrating the whole time. There is nothing like that in Destiny. It's a different kind of game.

MThanded

Oct 26, 2017
Because the game is so different when connected to the internet ( and other are playing) it seems like people will have a drastically different experience if they wait until way after the release.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
This review is the definition of clickbait and the writer is absolutely loving it.

Gaming journalism, everyone.

I think this is against the thread rules because it posts info of the writer.
However I do agree he's a piece of shit who knew if he wrote a controversial review, he'd bring clicks to his site I had never heard of before.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017

Here's some examples..

Great post. your tech analysis is great but I really enjoy when you get into game criticism and analysis as well

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting to see that people who hated Kojima for years and couldn't talk about it, now can troll him because of a game with 84 on Metacritic with 40 scores of 9 and better.

Volkama

Oct 30, 2017

Here's some examples..

That sounds amazing. I'm so in.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Meaning a broken, unfinished game probably shouldn't get a 4. What's it matter what genre it is? Apparently they had the racing reviewer do this game. He has no problem jumping genres and like it or not, games get compared to one another by their scores.

Maybe it wasn't very fun to him. I'm not getting into the reviews myself. Hopefully I'll play at a later time.

But a score of 4 always meant a bottom of the barrel shit. 5 never meant a middling, serviceable game. And below 5 are just variing degrees of awful. Doesnt really matter if its 4 or 2. Game scores can only be compared in the same genre was what i was saying. You cant compare death stranding's score to that of a sports game

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017

Here's some examples..

This sounds great. I really like the idea of flipping the open world loop, making the journey the star, not the destination.

Siinova

Oct 29, 2017

Here's some examples..

That sounds amazing.

MajorTom

Nov 5, 2017
England

Here's some examples..

Never had a post about this game excite me more than this one.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
These reviews are great, i find that games most tailored for a specific taste are better than games that are designed for the masses. And this game is probably not for me.
That IGN video review got me thinking that it's not for me either, for now. But the online component and how you can see and use other players constructions to get up mountains etc made me think it might be for me at a later date. I'm definitely keeping my eye on how it evolves. Might be a whole other game if you jump in next year on PC.

Jun 4, 2018

Here's some examples..

Appreciate your insight!

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
It is definitely divisive.

Oh please. Based on the reviews, it's not divisive, it's mediocre.

And let me be clear, I'm talking about reviews, not whether the game is good or not. But for any other game, these reviews would not be read as 'divisive' but as 'average'.

With that said, it kinda looks fun to me, and I'll most likely decide to get it and play it soon. And maybe I love it, maybe it ends up being awesome for me - but the reviews are what they are and paint a different picture: an interesting, flawed game. Not divisive.

Alex2DX

Nov 6, 2017
Still gotta experience it for myself, should be interesting lol. Hopefully I don't get burned out on the walking.

rude

Oct 25, 2017

Here's some examples..

200.gif

Why the fuck is Thursday so far away.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017

Here's some examples..

Thank you for this message. I'm sure it will help some people to better understand what's the emphasis here and why's a different take to most other games.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ultimately it's scoring lower than bloodborne which means it is objectively worse yet was probably more expensive to make which is definitive proof that sony should've made bloodborne 2 instead!

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
A score I expected, would probably be a bit lower if not for the brand name of Sir Kojima Sensei. I saw trouble the moment he needed a 50 minute demo to show what the game is about and still fail, and traveling all the way to Germany just to announce his buddy Keighley in the game, and that you can piss in the game.

People talking like 85 is a bomb. It's at least something original, it may or not be any good in the end, but the originality and craziness makes me want to play it.
Anyone knows how long it takes to finish?
People expected His Higness Kojima Sensei to deliver the definitive game of this generation, with a score at least in the mid 90s.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Death Stranding as seen by its detractors:

O3iq_X.gif
It's funny, because that moment in the bottom MGS4 gif was actually one of my favorites of the entire game. Maybe I'm a masochist but I find it very compelling when games try to make you feel the suffering or the struggle of the game character. It's one of the things I loved the most about The Last Guardian and Red Dead Redemption 2. That build up and struggle often makes the catharsis of payoff that much more powerful.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Game is so divisive even OpenCritic is having a hard time nailing down an average score lol

EIRfMoBXsAA02nt

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
MGS4-Terrible boss battles with somehow even less story relevance than 3's. Half assed "stealth on a battlefield" concept the game drops halfway for a terrible and tedious chapter 3, a whatever "just run through it chapter 4, and a lazy "eh 2 rooms of stealth chapter 5". An embarrassing story that chooses to over explain, retcon, and just shit on plots and characters from the previous game.

I get your point but can we not engage in lazy dev rhetoric.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
As someone who finds combat the most tedious part of modern games, kinda stoked to have another moment to moment problem to solve.