• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
I know this is a weird thing to say on ERA, but some of the complaints critics have are reasons I like Kojima games. Surprisingly, the 3/10s have made me even more interested in the game and I say that in sincerity. I am grateful for this split in opinion and I salute any reviewer who gave DS a fair shake but they couldn't resonate with the game.
Maybe it's because I have been a fan of Kojima for 20 years but my hype for this game is cemented. That said, I am also definitely looking forward to my SO's reaction (good or bad) because she's a newcomer.

MThanded

Oct 26, 2017
Would be interesting to see these scores without the kojima lineage.

By all accounts this is a game that I shouldn't buy. I haven't played many games this year and there are far better things for me to pick up.

... I'm so confused by this that I feel like I need to see it with my own eyes ...

Know what this situation reminds me of, except on a larger and louder scale? Alien Isolation. It was harshly rebuked by many outlets because of how slow and plodding and long it was while in the eyes of many players (myself included) it was a masterpiece that's still unsurpassed in its genre

You haven't played the game I assume. It's probably best to hold off this comparison until you do. It could also just not be a great game.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Man even when low scores come in you still got people complaining about the higher scores being cause of Kojimas name lol
The dude has a crazy fanboy following in the world of gaming. Some of these reviews can't seem to review it objectively for that reason. That's the way I'm seeing it. A game shouldn't be getting a 9 when you say a good portion of it doesn't work.

effin

Jan 20, 2019
These were exactly the divisive reviews I was hoping for. Even if I hate it I am desperate to see a high budget game that's something different and interesting

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I find that quote offensive. I don't care about the score of this game, I didn't work on it, I have nothing to lose or win, but that quote is just terrible, how can a human being who plays videogames and understands them as an art form say that?

Yeah I'm with you. I really commend Kojima for what they've managed to put out, and the fact that it resonates extremely well (9.5-10) with some people tells me that this effort was a success.

I'm listening to BeastCast and it really doesn't sound great/fun to me, but I also feel like I really ought to try it for myself - maybe I'll find that zen appreciation that others have.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I have a feeling that this games reputation will fall quite dramatically in the next decade

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I find that quote offensive. I don't care about the score of this game, I didn't work on it, I have nothing to lose or win, but that quote is just terrible, how can a human being who plays videogames and understands them as an art form say that?

As I mentioned above, the entire review is written like that and the author is on Twitter calling the game "a piece of shit."

Unprofessional doesn't begin to describe it.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017

nah, that doesn't really gel. the comparison isn't apt, because gaming story telling has different rules and benefits from the immersion factor which elevates the experience. On the other hand, an incredible eye for visuals is not to be dismissed. Artistically, this really at the bleeding edge of AAA games.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
User Banned (3 Days): Ignoring Staff Post
Helps to actually read some of the reviews lol

Hell even several of the glowing ones express the sentiment that the game isn't for everyone.

All I get is that America hates it cause no shooty bang bang often. Being serious and not trolling.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Jeff Gerstmann says the (early) story of DS is stoner conversation level of quality. Gotta see this stuff for myself. Sounds wild.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
I'll just echo the sentiment that the game seems more interesting than it did before. Maybe I'll check it out after a price drop.

On the other hand, I'm glad to see Kojima being met with some real critical pushback.

No42.05W70.2

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
The IGN video review is great lol. The fast travel just sounds terrible.

This game is exactly what I thought it was going to be. A series of fetch quests amidst a ponderous, exposition heavy story. Kojima is a great stylist, and has good taste in actors. But Konami wasn't at fault for dumping him. He can't make video games anymore.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
I loved this game so much. What a breath of fresh air. It brought back that feeling of popping in a new Konami PS2 game back in the day, not knowing what to expect. It's mysterious and engaging. This is definitely going on my list this year.

...and this comes from someone that doesn't usually enjoy open world design. This solves so many of those issues.
God, i still remember the day i got home to unwrap and play MGS2.
Was studying in Manhattan back then and for the most of the year all i would do to keep up on the game was read magazines that had any mentions of it.
Had a preorder at EB games. Picked it up the morning before class and tossed it in my book bag. Went to classes and i swear all day it was the only thing on my mind.
Finally done with classes around 6pm, got on the 1 train back home. Played the shit all night going in blind with no spoilers. Still my fondest gaming memory.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017

Yup, and on that subject I dont understand why that review is in the OP of this thread, I really don't think we should be giving him clicks. Just look at that guy twitter account someone posted.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I love that there is slightly above average and high scores from major review outlets; this means message.
Like grumpy (Ron Gilbert) says, it's easier to make something everybody loves; show a puppy playing with bubbles, congratulations you've shown the world puppies are cute.
So having some love and some meh makes me think it will be worth it because it has probably a message to convey.
There's always a risk for me to land on the meh side; but that's a risk i'm willing to take. I don't want to read the reviews i don't want to be spoiled too much :P
It's a Kojima small budget action game; ... he reaches that 84 with a much much smaller team than what he used to have on a brand new studio he built from the ground up while still having ambition in scope, i have the feeling it will be impressive for me.

It's the first game with Guillermo del Toro that does not bomb or fail miserably... Champagne !

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So jaded they all seem super high on The Outer Worlds? Your comment is unwarranted.

I was being halfway tongue-in-cheek because of their reputation. I meant no offense. lol

Being enamoured with one game doesn't invalidate the assumption that a group of veteran game journos may be excited to rip into a game hyped to hell and back, even if justified.

Pretty tame observation. Sorry if it rubbed GB fans the wrong way.

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
I'm a bit miffed at how people can watch that gameplay and be overly excited. It's fetch quest after fetch quest, made harder by the fact that you need to manage your cargo with weight distribution. That doesn't even sound tedious. It just sounds boring.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I do agree that this might finally be the moment where we seriously evaluate why Hideo "you will be ashamed of your words and deeds" Kojima is being held up as the most illustrious auteur operating in the gaming industry.

He's a quirky B-movie director with an incredible eye for visuals and a forward-thinking approach to game design. Evangelizing him as the greatest creative force in the industry kinda shines poorly on the industry.
I'd much rather evangelize the guy who made MGS2, the most profound-foward thinking AAA game that hasn't been topped in those aspects since, than other AAA game directors who really don't take risks at all tbh

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Glad to hear the game seems to be weird but good! Can't wait for my copy. Slightly divisive but this topic hasn't been nearly the shitshow as many expected.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Divisive is more of a comment on the spread of the scores, not the average -- even if the average is weighted. At least that's how I've always thought of it.

You can't just look at the MC number and determine "divisive" or not. Gotta look at the spread. Let's get some boxplots up in here. Or at least a sigma value.

A game that gets 100 8/10s is less divisive than a game that gets 100 varied reviews that average to 80.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
The reviews are actually turning out a bit like I expected. Very mixed. From the previews we had been given, it seemed like it was going to be just mostly an empty open-world, and for me those are some of the most difficult to finish. Was planning on buying this game anyway solely because of the actors involved and because it looks nice; which is something I never do. Was hoping there was going to be some kind of gameplay hook reveal that you can't see in the previews, but it seems like there isn't. It is what it is.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Dan hates it with a fucking passion
Just saw the "RDR 2 is 50x the game Death Stranding is" quote. Brutal given his dislike of RDR 2 lol

That's wild. And sort of a bummer. I don't care about most reviews, but Dan's enthusiasm for Metal Gear was always infectious (shoutout Metal Gear Scanlon). Unfortunate to see the opposite of that here.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
looks like it'll settle around 84-85.
I was Team 91 and I do not regret it, this thread was a ton of fun and seeing the absolute confusion was great.
Guess you either love it or hate it, and that's kinda awesome
Yup, even though it seemingly won't quite get there I don't regret thinking it'd reach low to mid 90s either given just how high it got for a lot of the people who did end up liking it.

This sounds like EXACTLY what I hoped it would be. The biggest thing missing for me in MGSV was ridiculous melodramatic cutscenes, which this seems to deliver in spades.

The fact that some people bounce off it super hard only makes me more interested.
This. I strongly missed his cutscenes in MGSV.
MGSV had great gameplay, but I preferred MGS4, even if he indeed could have let you use the good gameplay there a little more, since I liked having a lot of cutscenes.

Last edited: