• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
I mean, I actually don't mind. Really. It's fun to hear what the other side thinks, and why their tastes differ. There's value in other people highlighting what you find appealing by contrast of opinions. But their enthusiasm is just ... lol c'mon.
Yeah, man. Absolutely hated their enthusiasm for Apex Legends, Control, Outer Worlds, Bloodstained. Bunch of grumpy fucks.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, the game clearly didn't strike the right note with the East Coast staff - and they haven't been able to discuss it for weeks, besides obtuse metaphors. You can understand why it'd be refreshing to get that off their chest.

If you only listen to them when they talk negatively about something, maybe that's painting your perception of their 'giddiness'.

Yeah, they seemed to have a lot of front-loaded frustrations. I just didn't want to listen further to avoid spoilers, since they may be less delicate with how they divulge details due to their own frustration.

I'm loving all of this, btw. I love that Kojima's writing is finally getting put on blast, because it'll hopefully, finally make it clear to his detractors why he has a following despite the obtuse, somewhat puerile attempts at metaphor. And that's the earnestness with which he presents it all. The campy nature in front of his big ideas.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
So far all the reviews tell me is some reviewers seem almost hesitant to give it a bad score just because it's Kojima. Not one of these high scores reviews praises the games mechanics or story in any way.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Currently at 84 after 59 reviews. Not sure how many outlets will be reviewing the game but a 83-85 Meta is possible when when all is said and done.

3UsqnU0.png

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
these reviews are a lot more positive than i thought. i'm still going to wait awhile to get it, it's not a day one for me by any stretch, but i'm moving away from just curiosity toward excitement

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
its early and maybe the true shitlords are sleep but I am proud that there haven;t been many meltdowns

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Hearing from GB that the nature of BBs and where they come from is "profoundly distasteful" but they didn't go into it further than that. Is there anywhere I can read about it?

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
This sounds like EXACTLY what I hoped it would be. The biggest thing missing for me in MGSV was ridiculous melodramatic cutscenes, which this seems to deliver in spades.

The fact that some people bounce off it super hard only makes me more interested.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Man, the Giant Bomb people sound outright GIDDY that they get to piss all over the latest offering from a venerable team.
It's almost as if they're jaded...
I honestly get why people like them, Brad is genuinely awesome and his criticism is always great, Jeff is harsh but fair - although I think his taste in games is the opposite of mine as in I literally hate the games he loves; but I don't understand why people suddenly treat their reviews as if they were the one and only review that matters. "Horizon looks like an ubisoft fetch quest game" -Jeff gives it a 9/10- "I always knew Horizon was better than it looked".

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much every review has found it nearly impossible to praise the gameplay in any meaningful way. Even the very highly scored ones.

Once the honeymoon phase is over for this game... whew.

This. When even the high scores reviews can't say anything good about the gameplay that says 'hard pass' to me. The user reviewers for this game are going to be brutal.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If it doesn't make it to 85, it doesn't get the Bethesda bonus money. Which means I still kind of win, just not as much as I should have.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
So far all the reviews tell me is some reviewers seem almost hesitant to give it a bad score just because it's Kojima. Not one of these high scores reviews praises the games mechanics or story in any way.

Yeah, I'm seeing a lot of praise for big themes and novelty, but definitely not a lot of suggestions that the game is fun to play or that the story is well-told.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I actually don't mind. Really. It's fun to hear what the other side thinks, and why their tastes differ. There's value in other people highlighting what you find appealing by contrast of opinions. But their enthusiasm is just ... lol c'mon.

they've been enthusiastic about plenty this year. just not this game you're already convinced you like before playing it.

Megaten

Oct 30, 2017
Wow, someone posted that Rooster Teeth clip in agreement with that trash take? Good lord, between that, someone's snippy little "oh, American reviewers are down on it" (yay, using a shitty little xenophobic dig when discussing a game that's about tearing down walls/making connections) comment and the general talking down your nose at places who don't agree with your preconceived notion of what a game *should* score...jesus a lot of ya'll are showing your whole ass right now.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

Gonna drop this in here once more after the chaos that was embargo time. Would really appreciate if y'all could watch and share. We're a small site but we occasionally get stuff to hit embargo, and it's a chance to prove we can hang with the big boys 😛

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
man, these reviews are all over the place.

the divisiveness of the game is actually getting me more hyped cause now i wanna see if i'll like it or not

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Sekiro was pretty divisive after the honeymoon period. Resident Evil 2 remake will have issues getting votes because it's a remake.

The Outer Worlds is a wholly original game and well received by everybody. If I had to put money on it, I'd say that The Outer Worlds will take most GOTY votes.

Outer Worlds has a 85 MC, Death Stranding is at 84 now.

Majin Boo

Oct 26, 2017
The gameplay sounds like it's definitely not for me, it's a shame since I was really curious about the game. But RDR2 tought me once and for all that gameplay is what makes or breaks a game for me.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Watched the EZA review and it hit on a lot of notes I feared. Seems like a nice palate cleanser, though I don't think it's really for me.

ZeroNr

Oct 20, 2019
Lost the bet :(
I never saw a reception to a game like this. The agregate doesnt do this game justice. Reading the reviews, its like you are reading about different games. And looks like the gameplay is actually well done, its just that its different and some people hated it.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I completely understand respecting one's opinion if its sound and reasonable but that opening quote comes off as unnecessarily harsh

If someone says "trash" or "garbage" when referring to something I tend to write off their opinion immediately. In an official review it's particularly off putting. Makes the author sound juvenile

FatalT

Feb 24, 2019
Wow, someone posted that Rooster Teeth clip in agreement with that trash take? Good lord, between that, someone's snippy little "oh, American reviewers are down on it" (yay, using a shitty little xenophobic dig when discussing a game that's about tearing down walls/making connections) comment and the general talking down your nose at places who don't agree with your preconceived notion of what a game *should* score...jesus a lot of ya'll are showing your whole ass right now.
I'm sure this thread will be combed over by tomorrow night, don't worry.