• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Man some if the reviews don't match the score at all. Even the lower scores like GI and IGN feel harsher in text form. How the fuck do you rate a game that you didn't think was fun a 7/10 or a 6.8/10?

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
After posting the conclusion a few pages back, here is my entire review. It's for Gamer.nl, a videogame site in the Netherlands. The review also appears on Metacritic. I've taken the effort of translating the entire review for you (and was allowed to do so by the editor in chief, of course). Its in quotes so you can expand it as you please, it's quite big. It doesn't have any big story spoilers apart from explaining the setting and early game stuff.

I gave the game a 9.5 out of 10.

Screenshots I took:

sLAQbi0.jpg
sgrExQD.jpg
BLNNDu1.jpg
xyZZy5E.jpg
C0bowxf.jpg
OdQGB0v.jpg
ZGOHeIZ.jpg
xIQdK4c.jpg
oo5PWHz.jpg
LOkbqMQ.jpg
bo8oZnB.jpg
U1x9j2F.jpg
n08520i.jpg
CYLKT4k.jpg
dNRQQHQ.jpg
T3YmMIa.jpg
uNZF7gS.jpg
J4j26jU.jpg
wNGBxIC.jpg
V9hKduD.jpg

I'll be here a lot today to answer questions if needed! Nothing too spoilery of course.

I cannot fully read everything u wrote since it enters spoiler territory for me, but thank you so much for your translation. My question is simple: did you liked the game? Was it a really good experience for you?

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
I knew it was going to be divisive, it's Kojima. But IGN's 6.8? Didnt they just give WWE 2K20 like a 4? And that games fucking broken trash, literally.

Wildly inconsistent my my

where do you see the incosistency? That game was broken and bad, therefore it got a 4. And you never compare games in different genres, ever, which is something a lot of people like to do.

Wallach

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty much every review has found it nearly impossible to praise the gameplay in any meaningful way. Even the very highly scored ones.

Once the honeymoon phase is over for this game... whew.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
How in the fuck is an 83 metacritic "divisive"?

Even by console wars standards that is some galaxy brain thinking.
Read the reviews, an 83 is of course a good score but read some of the reviews, thats why people's are saying divisibe I think, a lot of reviews point out how it isn't for a lot of people and has boring gameplay but there are also parts that's pull it up like the story.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Kojima could have easily got at least 5 points and reached 88 if he just included some enemies in the real world and some bang bang sequences. It seems the long journeys with nothing to do, but deliver cargo is what us hurting the game right now.

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also wondering if having more players would result in less troublesome deliveries, in any case, I'm going to play it day 1 even if it scored 20/100

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
8/10 sounds fair from what i saw, just buy it knowing what it is.....
if you think you wont like the gameplay don't get it

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
From reading a few of the reviews, it seems like some reviewers were a little scared to give a lower score? Some saying they hated it then give it a 7.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
How in the fuck is an 83 metacritic "divisive"?

Even by console wars standards that is some galaxy brain thinking.

That's the average score, the actual scores themselves are all over the place. It's definitely not receiving the overwhelming praise that a lot of AAA games typically get from review outlets.

That being said, it's not diminishing my hype for Death Stranding. In fact, it's made me more curious to get my hands on it. It's not often a big budget, highly anticipated title draws such a broad spectrum of critical opinion like this, and I'm really eager to find out why that is.

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
I cannot fully read everything u wrote since it enters spoiler territory for me, but thank you so much for your translation. My question is simple: did you liked the game? Was it a really good experience for you?

Well spoilers... if you want to go in blind you cant read the review because I explain the basic gameplay, yes, but Im not spoiling any story beats past the beginning.

It was a spiritual experience for me. That sounds kinda lame but its the first game that gave me the emotional feelings I usually only get from movies or music.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Inside Gaming review is up. The one and only Lawrence Sonntag gave it one exceedingly cute baby in a jar out of a very ugly baby, which translates to three piss grenades, with the last piss grenade being a bit discolored. Since I've majored in both of these languages, this roughly translates to he liked it, it's very different. It may not be for you, and that is okay.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Millenium 98/100
At the end of the Death Stranding adventure, after playing nearly 60 hours, it's hard not to be convinced that a new step has been taken for our beloved media. It's also hard not to see in it the culmination of Hideo Kojima's work, with a title that merges gameplay, screenplay and staging in a coherent universe full of video game and cinematographic references. A true love letter to video games and those who play them, Death Stranding is a complete game, sometimes clumsy, but that has undoubtedly left its mark on us.

Jeuxvideo.com 9.5

VideoGamer 8/10

Game Revolution 5/5

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Mod Edit: We do not provide a platform for SkillUp for their content here.

Hype reduced significantly.

The boss from TGS looked bad but Kojima said he was one of the weakest so I gave it the benefit of doubt. But according to skillup it's same in general, bosses attacks are too slow and telegraphed, he said he only got hit a few times in the whole game...

I miss the Kojima who did amazing boss fights. PP was so underwhelming in that regard and it seems this game is the same.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Guys, the Metacritic average isn't representative of the actual reviews. This game seems to be extremely divisive from the reviews I have read. Either you like it or you hate it, no in-between. This just makes me want to try the game out myself to see what I personally think of it.

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
Reviews are supporting what every one expected:
You either hate it or love it. And I'm still on the fence about buying this game or not. Reviews aren't helping here...they are making the situation even worse.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, after reading through some reviews I am incredibly interested now

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
"polarizing" games by important studios or creators usually means that reviewers are making excuses for a game out of goodwill.

I rarely enjoy those games.

More often I enjoy the 7/10-across the board jankfests that are fun despite technical flaws.

NuMiQ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Cause its early, it took me a moment to translate a conclusion for those that are interested (apologies if a little stilted):

Death Stranding is a one of a kind project. Everything about this game exudes the special style and personality of Hideo Kojima. You can see that as something positive or something negative. Fans of the game maker know that they have to get this game no matter what. For others it is a bit more complicated. Are you looking for a game that offers you both a special experience and you a unique emotional story, then this title is definitely worth buying. However, if you get restless during long cut-scenes, or find exploring your surroundings on foot uninteresting? Then it is certainly possible that you will get bored (especially in the first part). If you think Death Stranding is awesome or terrible will mostly depend on if the world clicks with you. Purely looking at the game itself, Death Stranding is a true piece of art. An unprecedented personal project, from a recently established studio, within a relatively short development time and with so much of the work overseen by one person, that is something that rarely occurs in our industry. Death Stranding is Hideo Kojima's magnum opus, his ultimate story. A project that is so personal does not happen often and makes you either love it or hate it. The structure may not be perfect and the gameplay can definitely lose its appeal. Still you continue to play to experience the incredible story to the end. We have had an amazing time with Death Stranding and can't wait for what Kojima brings us next. 9.0/10

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So this game is more about traversals and cargo management? Consider me more interested. I don't want another stealth/combat focused game. I'm coming in thinking it's some sort of traversal puzzle game.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Is this guy actually paid to review anything? I mean this is what it has come to? its an opinion, but about on par with any random Youtube comment
No, Giant Bomb isn't really a review site anymore. It's basically a personality driven game content site at this point.

I love Dan as a personality, but he also can kind of be a dolt at times. One trend in his tastes that I've tended to notice is that he does not like much of anything that takes patience or persistence.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
The site that gave it 35/100 is dead, I wonder what happened lol.

DDOS? Too much legit traffic?