• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mar 15, 2018
Hey folks! Our spoiler-free review is up here:

PlayStation Universe - 8/10

"Death Standing proves itself as a unique, palpable new IP, filled with rich storytelling both in narrative and gameplay. The beginning of the game suffers from long gaps of time intended for learning the ropes, but the ship rights itself once it finally turns the corner. Despite that with a handful of missteps, a deep, potent message of coming together rings through every aspect of Death Stranding that dazzles the game as a whole. If you give it the time, Death Stranding will offer you something most games never do."

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
I think this is the first time I overshot what the score was gonna be by this much lol

Imma read these reviews in the morning to see whats the general consensus to decide if its something I wanna buy. But otherwise, man what a ride.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't have time to read the reviews. Does the game have any boss battles or is it really just walking around delivering pizza for 20 hours or whatever?

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Considering I thought the presentation of the game to be quite lame, I think I'll fall in line with the more negative reviews. Money saved I guess?

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lmao this thread sure exploded. Personally wasn't feeling this game even though the premise looked interesting. Easy skip for me.

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
Fascinating.

Sounds like my jam! But still worth noting that, at least since the original Metal Gear Solid, this will be Kojima's worst-reviewed game by aggregate. I hate MGSV with a passion that has not dimmed over the past half-decade, so I won't say I have no concerns going in, but a game that is called "unique" by outlets will always be worth the punt even if I wind up having an IGN-level opinion of it.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Push Square 10/10
Following years of mysterious anticipation, Death Stranding delivers on all fronts. An accomplished, fascinating set of gameplay mechanics allow you to make deliveries the way you want to, while social features let the game live on once you've put the controller down. It may become slightly tiresome as you hit the halfway mark, but the phenomenal narrative is on hand to pick things back up again and its outstanding visuals are the cherry on top. Death Stranding doesn't raise the bar for any particular genre, it creates an entirely new one.

Guardian 4/5
Above all, Death Stranding is a sermon on the importance of belief. The power of putting one foot in front of another when hope looks lost, in the belief that things will get better. By working together, a series of small intentional steps can make a difference, and in this often fractured, angry and confusing world; that's as hopeful as it gets.

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
The only opinion that matters to me.

PzkJJ7N.jpg

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay I'm really interested to play this now. Is it something akin to Ulysses and the games press is too immature to recognise it, or is it genuinely a self indulgent turkey and Hideo Kohima is too immature to realise.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
As someone who can go either way on this game, the Giant Bomb video is hilarious so far. Jeff is in fine form.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Honestly this should put to rest the dumb meme that Kojima games score well simply because of his name. He has the pedigree but reviewer's ain't just gonna lob 10/10 GOTYAY's at him cuz he's Kojima. Death Stranding is decisive and I'm glad those that weren't as hot on it didn't hide what they were truly feeling.

Can't wait to properly dig into these reviews later.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Basically what I expected. Hard pass.

Same...

If actual player impressions are significantly more coherent than "BEST/WORST GAME EVER" I might get it on sale down the road, just because I've played the other Kojima games, but this doesn't sound like something that I would enjoy (as I don't like cutscenes in games and I also don't like the walking simulator genre).

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, all over the place. But i tend to like games scored 70+ so no worries.
Seems the intro was a drag for most and like most developers today Kojima may have over done it with the Physics simulation for the character controls.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
haha amazing, this literally is the most divisive game of the gen. i would say looking at the aggregate is literally useless with this one. the spread is too wide. also there does seem to be a split between some of the US reviews and the rest of the world...which is also interesting. And certainly not a point against it from my perspective.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017

All four of them got a 94 on Metacritic.

General audiences and major fans had a lot of specific issues with these games, but MGS2-5 all have a 94 on Metacritic.
Wasn't talking about average, was replying to him saying games getting 9s and 10s (which DS got plenty) and being called the worst game ever. Its nothing new for a Kojima game.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Got one in particular I should read? I'm curious to see what the detailed negatives are for one of the lower scores.
I'm reading the Eurogamer review and while they recommended it, they ended the review with this:
As the credits roll on Death Stranding, heavy with unearned pathos, the impression you're left with is of a self-congratulatory monument to the ego of a creator who is high on his own supply. Has Kojima always been this full of it? Maybe. But then you return to the game proper, select a humble delivery order, lace up your boots and plan another reckoning with those unforgettable, haunted moors. And you realise that this game has got under your skin in a way few do.

KiDdYoNe

Oct 25, 2017
That's a good morning. Though I'll need to wait for the reviews to pop.

Damn those scores are all over the place, just as I thought it'll be. 7 more days :(