• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jxN3

Oct 3, 2018
Reminds me of The Last Guardian reviews-- IGN: 7/10 and then you read EZA: 10/10

It was like, what..? Played it myself and absolutely adored it, while my roommate hated it. These kind of games tend to be the best kind of games for those that enjoy said game because its clearly speaking to them in ways other people don't connect with.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Will there be more staff posts?

Let's find out!

Seriously though, I don't see this going below mid-high 80s even in the absolute worst case scenario. I see the "divisive" elements only being able to limit it to low 90s ( with very high 80s on the lower range) personally.
Well turns out I was wrong and underestimated just how divisive it could get.

Still good scores overall, but this thread's gonna go south now.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
good lord, even some of the lower scores seem inflated considering how harsh they are explaining their issues with the game

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'm glad it's getting a wide range of reactions. It's Kojima unchained, for better or worse.

I do not think I'm getting this day 1, but I'm too curious to not get it on sale later on.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Every review I've seen starts out with a caveat about it won't be for certain people, regardless of score that's not something that you want to headline a review when your goal is to sell millions of copies. Game will do fine sales wise and I'll definitely buy it when I can but it may not have legs, might just be huge upfront sales.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
I love the vibe I'm picking up that it's a game people will want to discuss and talk about for a while to come - for good and bad.

The analysis is one of my favourite parts of Kojima games.

PinballRJ

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly this game could have gotten horrible reviews and I still would have bought it, there's no studio making anything like this shit for good reason lol

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
The only aspect I'm not liking the sound of are the amount of emails that apparently reveal a lot of character lore and back story. That's always something in many games that I tend to dislike.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
EZA review deflated my hype. Poor combat and the BTs pose like 0 threat once you figure out how to get by them the very first time. Might pass on the game until the eventual Steam release (could be 1-1.5 years since I'm 90% certain of at least 6 month EGS exclusivity ;p) since I have Luigi Mansion to play until Star Wars releases.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
80 is good
this is gonna end up at 85, 86 which is REALLY good
people are overreacting

Of course mid-80's is great but it's not compared to his other games and it doesn't help when actors come out and call him a genius etc.

10/10s and 9/10s everywhere but then some calling it the worst gane ever?

If it had 10's and 9s everywhere we would be talking about a 94%+ game like GoW, BotW 0r RDR2. It's more divisive than his other games that's for sure.

This reminds a lot of RDR2. If the game clicks for you it's a masterpiece, if it doesn't, it's absolute torture.

RDR2 got a 97, it's only really here that people complain a lot about it.

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lmao I don't know how you could draw that conclusion
Some outlets have seemingly called out the boring, time-consuming gameplay, and some still praise it because it has other redeemable qualities. But for me personslly, the negative reviews pretty much confirm what I've already deduced from all the footage I've seen. It's not a game for me.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
83 Metacritic -> a disappointment.

And we have officially lifted off.

giphy.gif

I mean given the ultra hype behind it, I can see why someone would say that. That said, it's a game that can strike a chord for some people if they're willing to look past the surprising MC score and like, actually read the reviews.

That said, from what I'm skimming through so far, the game is definitely not for me.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised IGN had the balls to do that.

So far the reviews that seems to be the most well-rounded [imo] is EZA's one, did a good job of pointing out obvious flaws [that were present in the gameplays we've seen] without omitting them in the final score like some of the other reviews I've read.

Now let's read the IGN's one, curious about the content of the review itself.
Does the EZA video have a a ton of spoilers in it? Thinking about just reading it, but of course I would like to watch it.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Very decisive reviews, sounds like the gameplay is the weakest aspect. I held off on pre-ordering because the actual gameplay didn't look great to me.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
seems like ign uk is the lowest scores out of all the igns.

ign Brazil and Japan gave it a 9.8 and a 9.5 out of 10.

is the ign us up yet?

Oct 26, 2017
Eurogamer suggests that Kojima has finally outdone MGS4...

"
It's an odd universe, laden with symbolism: bridges, ropes, hands, babies, umbilical chords and the signifiers of death are everywhere. If it has an eerie power - and it definitely does - it is not thanks to the heavy-handed thematic treatment or the clumsy writing. Seldom has a game worked so hard to explain itself only to fail. The actors spend most of their time valiantly wading through a tar pit of exposition that somehow does little to advance your understanding or flesh out their strikingly designed characters. (In fact, this game is so obsessed with exposition that it continues through, and then past, the end credits. The entire hours-long final act of the game is so overblown, it's a scarcely believable display of hubris.)"

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
So, exactly as I (apparently controversially) predicted: if it clicks: it's amazing. If it doesn't: it's boring.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
"One particularly torturous late-game story mission required me to carry a hefty weight on my back through a visibility-masking snowstorm and over near-vertical stretches of terrain. It took me 51 minutes to complete. Spending close to an hour schlepping heavy cargo through waist-deep snow, up and down mountains, constantly pushing against fierce winds, in a pair of shoes that wear out over time isn't an enjoyable video game mission – it's a lecture your parents used to give you when you complained about having to walk to school."
This sounds ace tho

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
Vast majority of the scores are super positive. I don't understand the divise remarks going on? Aside from IGN and a couple others most scores are above 9 or 8. I was expecting a far more polarizing reception based on all the previous week drama.
thats how these threads go.

the low scores are the ones that get the most attention...because well yeah they should

Byakura

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Definitely some pretty polarizing opinions on this one, seems it will end up around where I thought it would on MC tho. Always interesting to see a bunch of 10's mixed in with a bunch of 3's. I'm excited for the game to come out next week to see which side I fall on lol, though as a big Kojima fan I think I'm far more likely to enjoy it than hate it.