• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going 91. I just think Kojima is too good. I'm expecting the story to be batshit crazy and reviewers will love that!

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I will dodge bans like

tumblr_mk7b7kSW901s0soqwo1_400.gif
445F2BAE1443C0F2CE02D1E4BBFB74507F8860C9

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not interested in Death Stranding, only in Tim Rogers reviewing Death Stranding. I hope its an hour long video.

Niaboc

Nov 2, 2017
"some might say its hours of wandering a barren open world sandbox doing fetch quests. but not our review team. we understand art. do you? 10/10"

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Those Metal Gear scores are so beautiful.
Honestly you can not like Kojima for whatever reason by the guy is consistent. There isn't a single developer out there outside of Nintendo, Rockstar and Naughty Dog with a track record like this.

Last edited:

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
This seems like a game you already know if you'll like or not, don't really need reviews to decide your opinion.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
I'm thinking 92. A ton of 10/10 reviews, but quite a few 6 and 7/10's to bring down the average.

I've undershot every major review score since Three Houses, so it helps to be optimistic here.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
ND have been pulling +90s since Uncharted 2.
Oh fuck, I actually forgot about Naughty Dog. Whoops :D

Okay but outside of those three, Kojima has had consistent scores across the board in his three decade career. The guy has a super storied game dev history and the critical reception of his games reflect that tbh.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Official Staff Communication
Review threads have often been some of the most contentious on the forum. To improve the level of discussion therein, please observe the following guidelines in all review threads (including this one):

• No matter your stance on the game, your contributions always should be thoughtful and backed with substance. Avoid drive-by posting (do not just drop a hot take and leave).
• Do not engage in metacommentary or generalizations about other members who disagree with you. This will be moderated strictly.
• Do not troll. If the staff determine that you are trolling or attempting to inflame the discussion you will be banned.
• Exercise caution before accusing a media outlet or reviewer of having ulterior motives behind their score. If your claim is inflammatory and you cannot substantiate it, you will be banned.
• Treat your fellow members with respect at all times. These are only video games.

All rules laid out in our General Guide still apply in this thread. These additional guidelines will apply to all future review threads and will be reposted as necessary.
Yeah thats what im talking about, lets fucking go! This is going to get spicy.

Jssom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
How about predicating the number of bans this thread gonna have.

I'm saying 11 bans.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Not to get too on a tangent, but it's a bit deeper than that I think. Rdr2 played and moved a lot slower than the first one, so even some people who were series fans were let down. I don't think anyone knew before launch just how slow and arguable sluggish it played, and a lot of reviewers didn't reflect that very well either, with only a few really coming out hard on it for that reason.

Reviewers being familiar with Kojimas work to me is kind of a detriment as they are coming from a more ideal level of knowledge than the average consumer who really needs the review may be.
Yeah you're right. I kinda forgot how bad it was at launch, haha. But my point still stands. The number of people around me who are interested in Death Stranding who've never played a Kojima game in their life is much bigger than the number of people who have, and I think a lot of people will be weirded out or will drop the game because of a slow start or something along those lines (not sure if the game has a slow start, but it's just an example). The only times I've seen that happen on a big scale were RDR2 and No Man's Sky and I have a feeling Death Stranding will be another one of those cases.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is that countdown clock wrong? Its 11:45PM and it says it lifts in 3hrs 15 minutes or so?

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Review threads have often been some of the most contentious on the forum. To improve the level of discussion therein, please observe the following guidelines in all review threads (including this one):

• No matter your stance on the game, your contributions always should be thoughtful and backed with substance. Avoid drive-by posting (do not just drop a hot take and leave).
• Do not engage in metacommentary or generalizations about other members who disagree with you. This will be moderated strictly.
• Do not troll. If the staff determine that you are trolling or attempting to inflame the discussion you will be banned.
• Exercise caution before accusing a media outlet or reviewer of having ulterior motives behind their score. If your claim is inflammatory and you cannot substantiate it, you will be banned.
• Treat your fellow members with respect at all times. These are only video games.

All rules laid out in our General Guide still apply in this thread. These additional guidelines will apply to all future review threads and will be reposted as necessary.
All review threads? Era history is being made right here. These are some really good guidelines to follow, I just hope we don't murder each other in the coming hours :D

soundtrack

Oct 28, 2017
Mid-80s. Everything we've seen and heard about the game makes it seem incredibly divisive for those comparing DS to MGS.

mickaelaria

May 25, 2019
This seems like a game you already know if you'll like or not, don't really need reviews to decide your opinion.

People are most likely not going to come here to check if they should buy this game or not,
especially with a Kojima game people already know long beforehand if theyre into it or not just by looking at the marketing.

But talking about games has become such a huge part of the culture as well, I would say even as important as playing the game itself.
Some people just like talking about and exchanging opinions on certain games/genres, which is why I think places like this hold some value.

I myself am not a fan of Kojima and was never attached to the MGS series, but i am also not unaware of how influential the guy is in the industry.
The talks surrounding his games have always really been interesting, no sarcasm at all.