• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 5322

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depends. About the only people on the beastcast that have similar tastes to me are Vinny, Alex, and Jeffy B.

If the others don't like something, odds are I will like it.
Dan and I have a lot of disagreements in terms of games he and I are interested in, but like I'm trying to imagine a world in which I wrote off Breath of the Wild, my favorite game, as a bad game because he adored it and...this whole notion of "person I disagree with dislikes thing = thing is good" pretty quickly starts to fall apart.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a really dim way to look at things.
It really isn't hard to understand. I almost always disagree with their feelings about games, so I doubt I'll agree with them this time. Although I see you're a pretty big Giant Bomb fanboy, so I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings.

Last edited:

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I've been away from this thread and I see a lot of concern about the game now but still with the same 3 "reviews" from a couple of days ago. What happened?

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

oZcQ3dP.gif

Oct 27, 2017
OKC
It's on 'bad' again? What did I miss?

from what i gather, there hasn't been any "Hype Tweets" from big name people over a week before the embargo is up, which means the game is gonna have a low 70's MC.

i suspect tomorrow we'll hear from some random person named like EliteGamingOnline who says some shit like "actually i've played the game and..... it's good *sunglass emoji* " and then people will say its going to be 98 MC. This will repeat until November 1st.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
from what i gather, there hasn't been any "Hype Tweets" from big name people over a week before the embargo is up, which means the game is gonna have a low 70's MC.

i suspect tomorrow we'll hear from some random person named like EliteGamingOnline who says some shit like "actually i've played the game and..... it's good *sunglass emoji* " and then people will say its going to be 98 MC. This will repeat until November 1st.

What can I say, I love EGO.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Kat isn't aware gamers get anxious when a new game by one of the industry's icons comes out it's just because she isn't part of the crowd that waits to know if a game is good or not, real easy to say gamers are the problem or "bizarre" when you're on the other side making up those scores.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
She's completely right. A lot of fans/gamers on all sides do exactly this whether be it from Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo. It's such a backwards way of thinking. A game should stand on its on rather then holding up a corporate company.

Saying "People don't actually care about the quality of the big-budget game" is an accusation which is not true imo.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Saying "People don't actually care about the quality of the big-budget game" is an accusation which is not right imo.
Functionally, people are more concerned about how a game will perform critically for list war ammunition than they for any other reason. Most people anxiously F5ing review outlets come embargo day don't need to be sold on a game, they already are; they just want to make sure it's another "fuck you, got mine" exclusive they can rub in the face of competing system owners.

Again, this is as true for Nintendo and Microsoft fans as it is for Sony fans.

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Functionally, people are more concerned about how a game will perform critically for list war ammunition than they for any other reason. Most people anxiously F5ing review outlets come embargo day don't need to be sold on a game, they already are; they just want to make sure it's another "fuck you, got mine" exclusive they can rub in the face of competing system owners.

oh c'mon, go to the outer worlds review thread and tell me where did this behavior manifests, people throw around scores because it's them voicing their hopes and expectations from the title, not because they want to say fuck you to anyone.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
oh c'mon, go to the outer worlds review thread and tell me where did this behavior manifests, people throw around scores because it's them voicing their hopes and expectations from the title, not because they want to say fuck you to anyone.
The Outer Worlds is a multiplatform game.

Here's a question, why don't multiplatform game review threads ever have the energy or intensity that exclusive game review threads do? Barring Rockstar games, that never happens, why?

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019

Here's a question, why don't multiplatform game review threads ever have the energy or intensity that exclusive game review threads do? Barring Rockstar games, that never happens, why?
It happens for certain multi platform games like Anthem and Fallout 76, where everyone gleefully shits on them. People want to see them fail.

Gamers are an interesting bunch.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
It happens for certain multi platform games like Anthem and Fallout 76, where everyone gleefully shits on them. People want to see them fail.

Gamers are an interesting bunch.
Oh, that's a dogpile. It's very different from the fervent anticipation and Metascore speculation, and discussing individual review preferences, and calculating averages, and what not, that goes on in exclusive game threads.

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I never noticed any difference in intensity between them, but if one exists it's because 1st party games typically are the highest quality games of the generation and thus get more attention, honestly I don't even think the console wars is a thing anymore.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I never noticed any difference in intensity between them, but if one exists it's because 1st party games typically are the highest quality games of the generation and thus get more attention, honestly I don't even think the console wars is a thing anymore.
That's a rather naive outlook, console wars are probably more vicious than they have ever been before.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017

Meh Sony already won this gen handily and have more than enough exclusives as fodder in list wars. And the gen is almost done, it means nothing.

People want a good game. People want their icon to continue to be at the top of his game. System wars exists but at this stage its quite muted. If this was the beginning of a gen, yes it plays a big factor in peoples hopes in addition to the points I brought up (cause quality is always the number one aspect of importance to gamers, even the biggest fanboy). But even then its 2nd or 3rd in the hierarchy. Especially when you await a game for 4+ years.

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's a rather naive outlook, console wars are probably more vicious than they have ever been before.

Cool, so yeah I want to see DS getting 90 MC because I own a device with Sony's logo on it. I don't think more than 5% of people in this thread will ever say they're looking for this game to bomb or review well based on their console of choice.

Kat Bailey

Host - Axe of the Blood God
Verified
Jan 5, 2018
Fwiw I was thinking about the broader discourse with those tweets, not Death Stranding specifically (it was WWE 2K that sort of sparked it, actually). I will, however, be rolling my eyes when I read the review day thread here on Era where people provide continual updates on the Metacritic average, like it's somehow the be all and end all. You know what the main thing I heard about that HZD review was? Not, "I disagree with this review because of this point, this point, and this point." It was, "Fuck you, you ruined the MC average and kept it below 90."

She's acting like the game reviewers don't at times give scores based on shock/click bait value or because they themselves have an affinity for a particular company/developer. Both of those happen, and they happen A LOT. Which is why trust in game journalism isn't particularly high

Here's a secret: reviews don't do that much traffic, even a super negative one for a hyped game. And I can't speak for other sites, but most reviewers I know care a great deal about game criticism and would never throw out a score just for shock value.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Kat isn't aware gamers get anxious when a new game by one of the industry's icons comes out it's just because she isn't part of the crowd that waits to know if a game is good or not, real easy to say gamers are the problem or "bizarre" when you're on the other side making up those scores.
I'm not a critic. But i agree completely with her.

Deleted member 30124

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017

It primarily happens with games from studios that have built a reputation through their past work. You're likely to see the same energy and intensity in the Cyberpunk 2077 review thread, for example.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna

Fans of every developer like to see good scores for their long awaited games like sport fans love to see their team winning.
Nothing bad imo.

I hope reviewers will praise the story of Death Stranding, would be a bummer if I read the opposite and could change my day one decision...

Frunkle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dan and I have a lot of disagreements in terms of games he and I are interested in, but like I'm trying to imagine a world in which I wrote off Breath of the Wild, my favorite game, as a bad game because he adored it and...this whole notion of "person I disagree with dislikes thing = thing is good" pretty quickly starts to fall apart.
But that's where we differ, because I thought that BotW was boring and I didn't finish it.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
It primarily happens with games from studios that have built a reputation through their past work. You're likely to see the same energy and intensity in the Cyberpunk 2077 review thread, for example.
Yup, I can agree with that

Fans of every developer like to see good scores for their long awaited games like sport fans love to see their team winning.
Nothing bad imo.

I hope reviewers will praise the story of Death Stranding, would be a bummer if I read the opposite...
Yes and no. I think there's nothing wrong with wanting to see how a game you are looking forward to does critically and commercially, that's almost more exciting than the actual game itself. I do think it gets toxic and vicious, and that's the part I want nothing to do with.

Dogenzaka

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 20, 2019
I honestly agree with this. I don't care about the exclusivity and I don't care about choosing sides or teams, I'm just anxious about the game being good or not. I don't even give a shit about Metacritic scores and predictions.

Kat Bailey

Host - Axe of the Blood God
Verified
Jan 5, 2018
Okay, but here's the piece: I would understand if it was just about being anxious about a game being good. But it's really about score keeping. There is a tribal obsession among very online gamers over seeing, say, Breath of the Wild have the highest MC ever. Or Horizon Zero Dawn beating out whatever other big exclusive is coming out.

I would be anxious about knowing whether a game is good too. It's the over the top obsession with Metacritic averages that gets me.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Okay, but here's the piece: I would understand if it was just about being anxious about a game being good. But it's really about score keeping. There is a tribal obsession among very online gamers over seeing, say, Breath of the Wild have the highest MC ever. Or Horizon Zero Dawn beating out whatever other big exclusive is coming out.

I would be anxious about knowing whether a game is good too. It's the over the top obsession with Metacritic averages that gets me.
Yeah this trend started in the last years of the previous generation. Happened the same with movies and Rotten Tomatoes.

This is the current gaming reviews landscape : anything less 90 on MC is considerd or less " meh" . I have seen real post here in this forum where someone said they only buy over 90 MC games. It's an unreal concept to me but who knows.

Naudyboy

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 6, 2019
Saying "People don't actually care about the quality of the big-budget game" is an accusation which is not true imo.

The perfect response to this from The one who K

Back in the days, when DBZ Budokai released on PlayStation 2 I was so siked since Im a huge DBZ fan. As the sequels for those came out I only looked at reviews to determine if the game had any game breaking bugs, because I could judge the content of the game myself when I purchased it.

Recently it's become as if reviews and meta critics have become the final word on games. It's a sad way of enjoying games. A review should be only used to gauge the amount of content in a game and whether or not the game is playable in terms of bugs.

Regardless of what score Death Stranding gets, it'll be enjoyed by its fans and that's all that matters.

BossLackey

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kansas City, MO
The lore and world he built in this game, and in such a short time is really incredible.

Death Stranding, for whatever it may end up being .. has been the most fun pre-release game I've ever been apart of.

Every trailer added little nuggets of lore and mystery. The next day I'd be at work with my co-workers like:

I don't think this game will review as well as MGSV -- while that game had an unfinished and shitty story, the game-play was absolutely god-tier. I just don't see that happening with DS.

Meta: 83

I think I agree with this pretty much exactly. Though I'm predicting an 86.

Oct 25, 2017
I remember Jim getting killed for giving Zelda a 7 which brought the meta score down from 98 to 97. Like it's still the highest-rated game of the gen along with Red Dead. People were pissed. I was just happy to get a hold of a Switch to play the game since it was sold out everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.