• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kojima games are overrated af, perfect scores arent objective. Also he would never discount his games if it was his choice, the Communist Party of China wouldnt allow it.
No score is objective. The whole point of reviews is to NOT be objective. An objective review would be stupid.

I know you're trolling and intentionally shitting up the thread but w/e

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they are actually for the general good, if there was no embargo, it would lead to hot takes and "i played this for 5 minutes, here is my full review" -videos instead of proper reviews played and written with time. Also a painful 3 week wait until release :D

Don't reviewers get their copies well ahead of time? Thought this was the case for some major releases and they're almost sitting on reviews until embargos are lifted.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Don't reviewers get their copies well ahead of time? Thought this was the case for some major releases and they're almost sitting on reviews until embargos are lifted.

Speaking from personal experience, this isn't always the case. Barring any review events, the last couple Call of Duty titles dropped on our laps less than 48 hours ahead of launch.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Prediction: I don't think the game will be all that divisive! Not any more or less than your average Kojima title, anyway. The trailers and build-up to its release have been a fun ride, which has turned some off in the process, but ultimately, this will come down to how the game plays, the presentation of story, and how good a job it does of keeping us hooked within that sparse open world. Simply put: it's an action game. What have Kojima and his teams excelled at for roughly thirty years? Action games. Moreover ...not that this equates to one's personal enjoyment or anything, because personally, I'm certainly not worried about it, but given that this is a discussion surrounding the review embargo, which will inevitably lead to MC estimates... the lowest-scoring Kojima-led title, in the Metacritic era (so, the last 20 years or so), is an 89 average - that score attributed to Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, a PSP game. I've seen nothing to dissuade my confidence in yet another quality product.

Fun fact: PW is the third highest rated PSP game on Metacritic.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm more and more confident that this is going to review very well. My twitter is full of people who got reviews codes. Some people you would not expect to get them (film critic). Sony would not do this if they thought it would get so so reviews. 90 Plus meta incoming.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Looks like some of the World Tour will be streamed when it stops in London on November 1st.

Also day one patch is around 355mb for performance and network connectivity improvement.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
No score is objective. The whole point of reviews is to NOT be objective. An objective review would be stupid.

I know you're trolling and intentionally shitting up the thread but w/e

I'd honestly have to disagree - a good review combines both: the reviewer's own feelings about the game and a broader appreciation of why that is and how it might go over with different kinds of players. Karak from ACG is a fantastic example: he always speaks passionately about his own feelings on a game, but takes time to ground them in the reality of his own preferences, in the objective design of the game and in the reality that things he loves about a game others may hate. Digital Foundry meanwhile do highly objective reviews that include only minor subjective commentary but are neither stupid nor pointless.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
One of the journo I know who is currently reviewing the game said something about this game having multi-phase embargo.... like how they had the first phase of the embargo where they can reveal they have the game for review and when the review will come out. It seems like they can reveal specific things at specific time... and he said something about 4 to 5 phases total. He obviously couldn't talk about specifics of this.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
One of the journo I know who is currently reviewing the game said something about this game having multi-phase embargo.... like how they had the first phase of the embargo where they can reveal they have the game for review and when the review will come out. It seems like they can reveal specific things at specific time... and he said something about 4 to 5 phases total. He obviously couldn't talk about specifics of this.
Cool, maybe the phases are dependant on the stops the DS world tour makes

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia

Is this gonna be the first game with a movie-style "social media embargo" lol.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Cool, maybe the phases are dependant on the stops the DS world tour makes

I guess it would have to do with the reviews hitting before release and avoiding spoilers. Probably they can't talk about some things in the reviews, let alone show those things until after the game is public. After reviews, we'll start seeing plot analysis vids and general spoilers everywhere, but not from 1 to 8 November.

Maybe that half point event that supposedly makes everyone cry. Not allowed to talk about after half point until release.

I hope.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
I guess it would have to do with the reviews hitting before release and avoiding spoilers. Probably they can't talk about some things in the reviews, let alone show those things until after the game is public. After reviews, we'll start seeing plot analysis vids and general spoilers everywhere, but not from 1 to 8 November.

Maybe that half point event that supposedly makes everyone cry. Not allowed to talk about after half point until release.

I hope.
Yeah I think after the first World Tour event, we will start having impressions from reviewers on the first part of the game which is what is already shown.

Edit: damn I'm stupid, the day after the first world tour event is the day reviews hit ^^ Maybe the last phase of the mebargo is being allowed to update a review after Nov 8 t talk about the other parts of the game

Terrysaur

Jun 14, 2019
I'll be incredibly surprised if the games media recieves Death Stranding with anything less than positive reviews. Kojima has become such an idolised figure in the gaming world, and it's clear from all the trailers and gameplay footage so far that Kojima Productions put a lot of talent, effort, and love into this game. I don't intend to pick up the game, but I really do hope that it turns out great and becomes a big success – I'd love to see the mainstream games industry flourish with unique gameplay concepts like Death Stranding does. It can't always be open world sandboxes, looter shooters, and multiplayer arena shooters, after all!

Plum

May 31, 2018
I'll be incredibly surprised if the games media recieves Death Stranding with anything less than positive reviews. Kojima has become such an idolised figure in the gaming world, and it's clear from all the trailers and gameplay footage so far that Kojima Productions put a lot of talent, effort, and love into this game. I don't intend to pick up the game, but I really do hope that it turns out great and becomes a big success – I'd love to see the mainstream games industry flourish with unique gameplay concepts like Death Stranding does. It can't always be open world sandboxes, looter shooters, and multiplayer arena shooters, after all!

Death Stranding is definitely an open world sandbox but I do see your point lol. Despite being accused of being a "Kojima hater," or a "fanboy" in threads where I've criticised or expressed concern about the game I do want this to be good, and I want it to be successful, but I also can't deny that things that have been both critically acclaimed and financially successful are things that I've found pretty fundamental issue with. I hope that positive reviews and high sales aren't used as beating sticks for those who can articulate relevant personal negative points about the game.

Who am I kidding of course that'll happen

Terrysaur

Jun 14, 2019
Death Stranding is definitely an open world sandbox but I do see your point lol.

I guess you're right about that! Though being a mailman with a baby-in-a-tube that can detect incomprehensible monsters is infinitely more interesting than most other commercially successful open world games that are "go there, shoot that guy, collect that", ect.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I guess you're right about that! Though being a mailman with a baby-in-a-tube that can detect incomprehensible monsters is infinitely more interesting than most other commercially successful open world games that are "go there, shoot that guy, collect that", ect.

Potentially, yeah. My main concern in regards to the gameplay is that, like with MGSV, the open world could feel like a detriment and distraction to the main 'meat' of the game (so stealth action in that, delivery-man action in this). I've wanted an open world game focused heavily on physical movement for a while now but if the open world means you're having to constantly go back and forth from the same places (thus doing the same things over and over) then I just don't think it'll work that well. We've seen very little of what this game's actual structure is so who knows how it's gonna turn out.

Oct 30, 2017
As expected this game will score nothing less than 90s on MC.

We are talking about Kojima here with his new IP, expect nothing less than spectacular.

ZmillA

Oct 27, 2017
They can only show that they have the game. Can't say anything besides that, no impressions, no preview, no images or video.

I'm talking about the embargo ending on the 1st. At that time, will people be able to show video footage? I'm ;ooking for an official source (someone with a review copy)

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd honestly have to disagree - a good review combines both: the reviewer's own feelings about the game and a broader appreciation of why that is and how it might go over with different kinds of players. Karak from ACG is a fantastic example: he always speaks passionately about his own feelings on a game, but takes time to ground them in the reality of his own preferences, in the objective design of the game and in the reality that things he loves about a game others may hate. Digital Foundry meanwhile do highly objective reviews that include only minor subjective commentary but are neither stupid nor pointless.
THIS explains why they refused me a copy lol. But no seriously thanks! Appreciate that.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I m sure they will send it to you soon :)
Not sure. Sony and I have a unique past, or sometimes it feels like it. But there is nothing wrong with that at all. No one is owed anything. I will be very interested to see how this all comes together. It is an exciting time no matter what part of all this we fall on.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Potentially, yeah. My main concern in regards to the gameplay is that, like with MGSV, the open world could feel like a detriment and distraction to the main 'meat' of the game (so stealth action in that, delivery-man action in this). I've wanted an open world game focused heavily on physical movement for a while now but if the open world means you're having to constantly go back and forth from the same places (thus doing the same things over and over) then I just don't think it'll work that well. We've seen very little of what this game's actual structure is so who knows how it's gonna turn out.

The world in DS already feels like it has far more atmosphere than in say MGSV.

Plum

May 31, 2018
The world in DS already feels like it has far more atmosphere than in say MGSV.

I do agree but to me atmosphere is different to gameplay. For example I think Skyrim's atmosphere is amazing but after a while I always find myself wanting to just fast travel everywhere because the gameplay of getting from place to place (and having to do that over and over again) isn't that fun at all. If Death Stranding which is pretty much entirely about traversing its world doesn't have a structure and gameplay cycle that can make said traversal fun enough to justify a (presumably) big open world then that's gonna be a knock against it, but we'll have to see of course.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
85 meta at best. Some critics will write it off as too weird and out there. Some will love it who've been following Koj's work and know what he's about.

Either way, this place will explode at the meta.

Status
Not open for further replies.