• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
All of the DLSS 2.0 coverage just makes me sadder that Horizon on PC won't include it. 😔

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
DLSS 2.0 is so crazy. Better image quality than 4k with a lot better frames..
This just makes Nvidia even more prominent in the PC space so I fear how much their 3000 series cards will cost...

All of the DLSS 2.0 coverage just makes me sadder that Horizon on PC won't include it. 😔

That's a damn shame.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
what games have DLSS 2.0 anyway? i have a 2080 super and i'd like to try it out for myself but i don't have control, the new wolfenstein, or mechwarrior (or this game of course). i did use 1.0 on metro exodus and mhw but i didn't really like the effect.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
what games have DLSS 2.0 anyway? i have a 2080 super and i'd like to try it out for myself but i don't have control, the new wolfenstein, or mechwarrior. i did use 1.0 on metro exodus and mhw but i didn't really like the effect.
2.0 exists in:
Control
Wolf youngbloods
Deliver Us the moon
Death Stranding
Mechwarrior 5

there may be more but these are the ones off the top of my head I have played with 2.0

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
DLSS is incredible. Very glad I jumped on the 2070, can't wait to try this.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
It needs to become a standard, the benefits are absolutely worth whatever development time is needed. I understand that it might be an issue for smaller games but every big game needs to support this feature.
If the DLSS 3.0 talk is true, then enabling TAA in any/most games will provide DLSS. AMD otherwise is going to hope most titles don't support it.

Oct 26, 2017
Dictator I noticed at 22:34 to 22:40 in your video that the rising crypobiotes are leaving weird black trails which wasn't a thing on PS4. Do you know if this is an artifact unique to DLSS or if it appears in other modes?

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that they re-encoded the pre-rendered videos at 60 fps is fantastic. That alone is tempting me to reward their porting efforts with a purchase I didn't think I'd make.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
Holy shit - DLSS is amazing. Hopefully more games implement it. With this my RTX 2080 can continue to deliver 4k maxed out games at 60fps.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to give dlss a try, but not on this fucking walking delivery simmulator. Has dlss been announced for HZD?

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I'm glad I just played it on PS4 Pro rather than waiting. I would have been annoyed if this did not support my oddball super ultrawide 5120x1440 resolution for some reason. Seriously, when will devs learn to enumerate resolutions on PC correctly? The engine seems perfectly capable of any resolution so I can't understand why it does not do this correctly. Not supporting custom resolutions really sucks too.

Otherwise I was hoping the PC version would be more of a graphical upgrade. Better ambient occlusion and global illumination would have been welcome but I am glad they included support for DLSS 2.0, seems like the best way to run this. Yet at the same time I feel like they might have just done the bare minimum to port this as a lot of these things like ultrawide and high refresh rate support should be standard features on an engine as capable as this.

While this is undoubtedly the best version of the game, worth waiting for 6 months or something like that vs playing on console did not seem like a good tradeoff with all the spoilers flying around.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
So on my RTX 2080, I'm probably able to hit 100+ FPS at 1440p with DLSS 2.0 enabled, right? That is going to look downright insane on my 144hz 1440p display.

I'd download it now but I'm just too busy with Halo 3 at the moment. Plus, still not entirely sure if I want to commit to a full replay right now since I went through the game at launch on my Pro.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Speaking of cool upgrades:

- Full Steam Input support = allows for you to use a wide array of controllers and customise them full to their ability
- Motion Control = you can sort this via Steam Input, and the game does have a setting for enabling the original BB soothing motion controls

unknown.png

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Playing on a 2080ti and using DLSS quality at 4k60 it's literally barely using my GPU, it's running clocks at about half speed of the max (1200mhz, my gpu is watercooled and when maxed out runs at a locked 2100mhz) and only using 60-70% gpu usage at those clocks. DLSS looks better than the native due to the blurring of the TAA. So awesome. Game looks phenomenal.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So on my RTX 2080, I'm probably able to hit 100+ FPS at 1440p with DLSS 2.0 enabled, right? That is going to look downright insane on my 144hz 1440p display.

I'd download it now but I'm just too busy with Halo 3 at the moment. Plus, still not entirely sure if I want to commit to a full replay right now since I went through the game at launch on my Pro.

I wouldn't be even surprised if you are able to come close to your refresh rate cap.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
Slightly off topic, slightly on

For a game with ray tracing, would the headroom released by using DLSS 2.0 be able to be utilised for ray tracing? So playing at 1440/60 with high settings and ray tracing?

Or could you use it for a higher frame rate eg 120?

Or is resolution the only trade off

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Slightly off topic, slightly on

For a game with ray tracing, would the headroom released by using DLSS 2.0 be able to be utilised for ray tracing? So playing at 1440/60 with high settings and ray tracing?

Or could you use it for a higher frame rate eg 120?
Yes. That part of why Nvidia wanted to bundle Ray Tracing and DLSS together on the same cards.

The cost of Ray Tracing scales (roughly linearly) with resolution. If you double resolution, you roughly double the cost of Ray Tracing.If you halve the resolution, then you roughly halve the cost of Ray Tracing.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
The wait for next-gen Ryzen and Nvidia (potentially AMD is they announce DLSS alternative) is killing me.

Oct 25, 2017
Ouch, the RX 580 and 1060 get left in the dust here, sans 1080p. The CPU scaling being great on the low end but wasted on the high end is not entirely unexpected. Maybe some of the setting restrictions and framerate idiosyncrasies will get patched over the summer/fall, hopefully.

Really thorough video, thanks Dictator! Waiting for the checkerboard vs DLSS video.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
This port has excellent performance but it's visually underwhelming. I played some of the game on PS4 Pro, so it isn't my first impression of it. I'm running a 9900k and 2080 Ti.

Ultrawide is technically supported but it doesn't fill the entire screen horizontally. For example, the maximum resolution I can select is 3360x1440, when my monitor is 3440x1440 which is a standard 21:9 resolution. There are already fixes for this but I'm going to play the game as it was released for now.

TAA is not good. There's still aliasing as well as blurring. While DLSS is impressive, it doesn't seem better. The visual fidelity still isn't great. You're left with having to decide what kind of visual anomalies bother you less. I am consdiering forcing a different AA method or supersampling since the game runs so well. That would probably clean things up.

Cutscenes are pixelated, though not terribly. Still wish we had the option to download higher quality cutscenes.

I double dipped and left a ~20 hour save behind for a better experience, and I'm not sure it was worth it. I may boot up the PS4 version again just to see how it feels. The massive FPS increase is definitely a plus and leaves room for improvement, be it via patches or forced settings, which is something I was hoping to not have to do for a game of this caliber.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Some really cool PC features not mentioned in discussion:

- Full Steam Input support for all manner of Steam Compatible controllers and customisation

- Motion Controls from the original game work on gyro enabled controllers like Steam Controller, DS4 and Switch Pro

- The game lets you output audio from the baby, not only via DS4, but via any audio device. I tried it through my audio interface to guitar amps, which was hilarious!

- You can customise whether control prompts switch automatically between input types or are locked to Controller or M&KB, even when you switch between them (great for Steam Controller users doing Mouse+gamepad)

- You can choose the specific style of gamepad prompts - PS, XB, Steam, Nintendo!

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Honestly outside of performance/DLSS 2.0 support this is pretty underwhelming port wise though 60fps does improve the game dramatically already. Settings wise it hardly looks better than the PS4 version and there's not even a field of view slider.

Jan 4, 2018
Is anyone else having an issue with the game being capped at 40fps? I saw a reddit post about it but no solutions, seems like an issue a few other people are having but not exactly sure why.

mogwai00

Mar 24, 2018
Too bad for the lack of vegetation self-shadowing.
The environments look stellar, but indeed a bit flat.

Playing on my 120Hz monitor with 85-100 FPS is a bliss.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
This port has excellent performance but it's visually underwhelming. I played some of the game on PS4 Pro, so it isn't my first impression of it. I'm running a 9900k and 2080 Ti.

Ultrawide is technically supported but it doesn't fill the entire screen horizontally. For example, the maximum resolution I can select is 3360x1440, when my monitor is 3440x1440 which is a standard 21:9 resolution. There are already fixes for this but I'm going to play the game as it was released for now.

TAA is not good. There's still aliasing as well as blurring. While DLSS is impressive, it doesn't seem better. The visual fidelity still isn't great. You're left with having to decide what kind of visual anomalies bother you less. I am consdiering forcing a different AA method or supersampling since the game runs so well. That would probably clean things up.

Cutscenes are pixelated, though not terribly. Still wish we had the option to download higher quality cutscenes.

I double dipped and left a ~20 hour save behind for a better experience, and I'm not sure it was worth it. I may boot up the PS4 version again just to see how it feels. The massive FPS increase is definitely a plus and leaves room for improvement, be it via patches or forced settings, which is something I was hoping to not have to do for a game of this caliber.

Visually underwhelming in the sense that it doesn't add additional features relative to console? I can understand that. Although the game already looked excellent on pro and they have prioritised performance with the port, which is no bad thing. Would be nice with more options though. Probably didn't want to put in the effort though. I do think it holds up to other PC games though. For instance, can't think of a third person action game on PC with as good terrain geometry rendering. Certainly not say RDR2.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
I already love the game. It's crazy how good is it for the moment ( i played 2 hours). The only bad things...there are too much aliasing and the game is too blury in the same time haha.
I should check if i can put reshade on hdr, or playing the game without hdr and only reshade to force some AA

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Just started. Aside from a few hitches during cutscenes, game seems to run pretty good at max settings, 3360x1440 with a 1080 Ti (70 - 90 fps). I must say, this feels so much better to play than on the PS4 Pro