• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yeah, while I still love and am addicted to the gameplay loop sober it becomes transcendent after smoking a bowl. I live in a legal state so I have actually been choosing strain and product based around playing this game. Have not gotten this hooked on getting stoned and zoning to a game since I platinumed Diablo 3, it's pretty awesome.

Damn, that's sounds great.
Especially the fact that you choosed a certain strain just for the experience with this game. I wish I can do the same in my country, at some point in the future. Not legal here yet.

It's cool to hear that other people are also able to enjoy such deep and enhanced experiences with certain games on weed :)

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, pretty sure Death Stranding is a top-tier game to play under the influence of marijuana lmao.

rt6v3ux53hy01.jpg

I'm about 60 hours in but haven't had much time to play recently. Only just started Episode 5 when I last played.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
I want to power through the main quests for now to move on to other games. Any idea on how long that'll take? Currently in
The Heartman chapter, having connected the preppers he wanted me to connect (related to fossils etc). Current objective is to go back to Heartman, so I assume the chapter is about to be complete.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I want to power through the main quests for now to move on to other games. Any idea on how long that'll take? Currently in
The Heartman chapter, having connected the preppers he wanted me to connect (related to fossils etc). Current objective is to go back to Heartman, so I assume the chapter is about to be complete.
I think that is chapter 8.
I think 6 to 10 hours. After a straight forward gameplay mission most left are just cutscenes which could take some time depending on how much you chose to indulge it.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just beat the game.

I cannot understand how to feel right now. I was so frustrated with the way many of the chapter 10/11/12/13/14 (?) scenes were directed. Confusing, overly-dramatic, ridiculous long-winded exposition. And then the ending came and it was one of the best directed scenes in gaming that I have ever seen. My God. So beautiful. Kojima should have had another 6 months to clean up the scenes and writing in this game and it truly could have been something beyond classic.

I admit I am a little confused but if the game is about how you feel, then the ending did it. Truly masterful ending, wonderful, addicting gameplay, with very strange story exposition. Mads and Reedus really knocked it out of the park with their performances.

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm confused by the roads between Distribution Center South of Lake Knot City and Mama's Lab. I Don't see any auto pavers and it looks like the road is going to the side of the Timefall Farm? Am I missing something or do you not get a connected road over that rocky area between?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused by the roads between Distribution Center South of Lake Knot City and Mama's Lab. I Don't see any auto pavers and it looks like the road is going to the side of the Timefall Farm? Am I missing something or do you not get a connected road over that rocky area between?
There is definitely a few pavers leading through the hex rocks, over the river and up the valley peak toward Mama's lab.

Oct 25, 2017
During my play through I didn't think much of it, but now during end game I wanted to finish clearing it up and it's totally empty for me.

Here is a pic of what it looks like on my screen, sorry for the phone capture.

They won't show up on the map until you get near them and pulse, I believe. But if you run between those two roads you'll see them for sure!

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
prob 6 hours.
Death Stranding gets better with time. I powered through the last parts of the game and after not playing a week, i'm back on it just doing deliveries and completing roads. It's so good.

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
They won't show up on the map until you get near them and pulse, I believe. But if you run between those two roads you'll see them for sure!
Wow, you're right. I didn't even bother to take the road to look for a paver because I thought it would be a dead end since it didn't show anything on my map. Thanks a lot for the help!

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
I gotta say, the way you cross the tar belt to get to Edge Knot was really damn cool. Such a great moment. Did anyone manage to kill the giant whale BTs, and if so, what happens when you do?

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
OMG...I just read about the vehicle issues. Ha.

I've played lots of hours now and I haven't come across this issue at all.

Being able to delete someone else's vehicle is too harsh though. I mean they may have critical cargo in it still.

Maybe an algorithm to check if all four wheels are grounded when stationary. If not, respawn at nearest possible location. The highway bit though, I'm sure you could just nudge the other vehicle out of the way.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Finished the game on hard tonight and enjoyed it for the most part but it has major issues. Interface, needless cutscenes, mediocre combat, disrespecting players time etc. The gameplay has moments of something great but there is so much slogging to wade through. I don't know if I got a crap bunch of porters but I had so many ill placed structures and trucks parked right in front of bunker doors it started to piss me off for a while during the mid game.

Story and characters are the main draw here. Mama was eye rolling bad and sadly Higgs and fragile kind of fall flat but deadman and heartman were fun. Diehard, Sam, Amelie, bb and Charlie's story all intertwine nicely which makes the end pay off and I enjoyed that.

Sam was right with his fuck America sentiment. Most of the people left are drugged out weirdos addicted to the internet. If the human race gets to that point they should go extinct. Oh and one of the logs says voidouts create no debris or rubble, yet the landscape is covered by rocks...

amelie knows she's an Ee and wants to prevent the next death stranding, she tells you this many times yet she's constantly pushing towards setting off the extinction only to decide to put it on hold for a while by the end. Wtf? If she can put it off why doesn't she just do that from the start?
If she was a ticking time bomb where she had no choice and was losing control it would make more sense. Could of had Sam cut her cord with the gold cutter leaving her stranded on her beach but knowing that it's only a matter of time before the next ee arrives. Would have made more sense. Maybe i missed something but I found this part of the ending sloppy.

Nice of her to bring back Lou for Sam though. Possible connotations with that are interesting too.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
prob 6 hours.
Death Stranding gets better with time. I powered through the last parts of the game and after not playing a week, i'm back on it just doing deliveries and completing roads. It's so good.
Yeah, I think I'll just have to go through the story and leave the post game for later. Far too daunting just thinking about maxing every pepper etc right now.

Oldest_Snake

Oct 29, 2017
Finished this off over the last weekend (55+ hours), glad I stuck with it and powered through that mid-game tedium I felt, was well worth it in the end.

Story spoilers below:

I never actually had a problem with the mountain stuff (I've seen that chapters & the backtracking of episode 4 (5?) as parts of the game that put some people off. It was just the shot in the arm the game needed to shake things up IMO, I was staring to get a bit sick of seeing the same environment and forcing the gameplay into such a 'vertical' area was a nice change of pace. I'd definitely started getting used to driving down rebuilt roads at that point in the game.

No real qualms with the story, I get the feeling a lot of people just weren't paying attention when they claim it doesn't make sense or loses the plot in the later half. Game overall is a tad too repetitive on the story side of things, could have done with another draft to clip down some of that stuff.

The Sam/Cliff reveal was amazing, Mads M in general was really great in that role.

I was planning on getting the Platinum for it since all I have to do is max out a few regions and collect the memory chips but I just can't be bothered, I could spend hours doing deliveries but the Mule/BT encounters have finally broken me. Cannot deal with them anymore.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah that's where I'm at. Started getting distracted with standard deliveries and finally finished the highway yesterday so finally getting back to main quest. Gonna keep it on very easy until the main quest is done then switch back to hard once I get the ziplines set up everywhere in the mountains (actually have a lot of help in this region as someone had built them up to the doctor and around mountain knot already not to mention that someone else completed a road for the first time in forever)

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Finished this off over the last weekend (55+ hours), glad I stuck with it and powered through that mid-game tedium I felt, was well worth it in the end.

Story spoilers below:

I never actually had a problem with the mountain stuff (I've seen that chapters & the backtracking of episode 4 (5?) as parts of the game that put some people off. It was just the shot in the arm the game needed to shake things up IMO, I was staring to get a bit sick of seeing the same environment and forcing the gameplay into such a 'vertical' area was a nice change of pace. I'd definitely started getting used to driving down rebuilt roads at that point in the game.

No real qualms with the story, I get the feeling a lot of people just weren't paying attention when they claim it doesn't make sense or loses the plot in the later half. Game overall is a tad too repetitive on the story side of things, could have done with another draft to clip down some of that stuff.

The Sam/Cliff reveal was amazing, Mads M in general was really great in that role.

I was planning on getting the Platinum for it since all I have to do is max out a few regions and collect the memory chips but I just can't be bothered, I could spend hours doing deliveries but the Mule/BT encounters have finally broken me. Cannot deal with them anymore.
Ziplines in the mountains and everywhere else roads don't lead to help with that

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
If I move on past Chapter 3 in the story, I can always come back later right? I think I'm nearing the end of the story stuff in this chapter, but I didn't want to leave if I can't come back later on.

Feels like people have stopped trying to build the roads there. Everyone on my server or whatever must have moved on already.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
If I move on past Chapter 3 in the story, I can always come back later right? I think I'm nearing the end of the story stuff in this chapter, but I didn't want to leave if I can't come back later on.

Feels like people have stopped trying to build the roads there. Everyone on my server or whatever must have moved on already.
Keep on moving. Chapter 4 is short and then you are back in it and it only gets better. (=

Okapi

May 31, 2019
Eh. I managed it in 41 and I still was able to connect all but three networks and max out 5 of them. Only cutscenes I skipped were Cliff scenes (when they begin repeating) and the busy work stuff like drinking/loading/recycling, etc.
It seems to vary a lot depending on the player. I'm at 67 hours and I just started Episode 8.

Dralos

Oct 26, 2017
chapters 3
drags on a little :( is the story picking up again after chapter 3

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
I just beat the game.

I cannot understand how to feel right now. I was so frustrated with the way many of the chapter 10/11/12/13/14 (?) scenes were directed. Confusing, overly-dramatic, ridiculous long-winded exposition. And then the ending came and it was one of the best directed scenes in gaming that I have ever seen. My God. So beautiful. Kojima should have had another 6 months to clean up the scenes and writing in this game and it truly could have been something beyond classic.

I admit I am a little confused but if the game is about how you feel, then the ending did it. Truly masterful ending, wonderful, addicting gameplay, with very strange story exposition. Mads and Reedus really knocked it out of the park with their performances.

That scene on the beach with amelie just exposition dumping on you was like listening to a drunk kojima at 4am at a house party ramble on lol

Must be nice...

How the hell do you finish this game in 38 hours?

Someone's already put a speedrun up on youtube, beat it in 5 hours

mf.luder

Oct 28, 2017
Quality of life feature I'd like to see is if I hover over a zipline in the map, I should get a radius of where that tower can reach. I can then chart for new territory and construct an additional pylon.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
That scene on the beach with amelie just exposition dumping on you was like listening to a drunk kojima at 4am at a house party ramble on lol
I wish there was more to do during that bit while you wait for more exposition dumps. All you could really do was have fun getting washed back up on the shore or dick around finding the invisible boundaries that boot you back to the starting point.

TrAcEr_x90

Oct 27, 2017
I also love to eat a tiny gummy edible before I start playing. By the affects start to set in I feel like I am one with the environment in the game. Some game sessions my whole goal is just to see how many materials I can load up to walk around and help out with bridges/structures.
I really need to just move on to the main missions at this point though.

Oct 27, 2017
I really wonder what the difficulty settings are actually doing. Nobody seems to know for sure. There's this Game Revolution article, but it's only speculations:

I also read elsewhere that in reality, the difficulty settings probably only affect the boss fights, and nothing else.

So what are these settings really doing?

Yeah, I was curious about this as well. Haven't tried testing myself, but searching the thread just now I'm noticing observations (from informal testing) that were posted earlier:
Did some informal testing with traversal and difficulty. Tested running around various terrain on Very Easy, Easy, Normal and Hard with a 200kg pack of mostly materials stacked max height. It seems like the tipping mechanic caused by heavy loads happens on all difficulty levels. What seems different is how easy it is for Sam to lose his balance in this mode and trip or fall over. On hard (or even normal), it was fairly easy to get Sam to fall once in the tip over state. On easy, and especially very easy, tipping still occurred, but Sam seemed to right himself without intervention by the player and it was far more difficult to get him to trip/topple over unless he was going down a steep slope or extremely rough terrain.

Non-scientific testing of course, but tried testing with the difficulties on multiple terrains and the results seemed consistent enough to suggest a connection. Not that it is particularly hard to keep Sam upright even on higher difficulties, but for those not wanting to bother with the balance mechanic much, difficulty might help.
I switched to very easy in the later parts of the game. You barely take any damage during boss battles. But it also drastically reduces stamina use and chances of slipping/tripping. And Timefall degredation as well.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
I like this. I have climbed up to online pylons only to find they don't connect to anything yet. Lol.
That's because the game only pulled a single tower out of someone else's network. Really wish it would always pull at least one working link whenever it shares them.

Quality of life feature I'd like to see is if I hover over a zipline in the map, I should get a radius of where that tower can reach. I can then chart for new territory and construct an additional pylon.
Yes. PLEASE. Also showing working links drawn to other towers on the map would be really helpful.