• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I think it might get backlogged if your rank progression is blocked by email stuff. I had a few preppers that were like that and I was super annoyed that I delivered like 300-400 likes worth of stuff and didn't get jack shit. Then later on I delivered a simple 50 or 100 like package after progression was unlocked again and it would go up to almost 5 stars instantly.

The way it's communicated to the player is balls though. Definitely Kojima trolling.

I really hope so.

And I'd put it less down to Kojima trolling and more just bad game design. Not everything's deliberately bad lol, and there are many things in this game that have literally no reason to be as bad as they do (this system, the mass amount of repeatable cutscenes, the UI, etc).

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I really hope so.

And I'd put it less down to Kojima trolling and more just bad game design. Not everything's deliberately bad lol, and there are many things in this game that have literally no reason to be as bad as they do (this system, the mass amount of repeatable cutscenes, the UI, etc).
Trolling and bad game design aren't mutually exclusive though. It's obvious what Kojima's intent here is - to make a player feel a connection to these people and when it becomes impossible to increase your connection to them just by completing the mundane quests itself, you are supposed to read the emails later and "feel" that they are "real" characters who have emotions and motivations beyond just giving you instant rewards for doing a game task. He wants to simulate the narrative theme that getting people to connect can be a struggle sometimes.

How he chose to implement that and communicate it is absolutely bad game design though, and instead of feeling "oooooh so emotional and real!" the player probably just gets annoyed and frustrated.

Nov 4, 2017
I have built all the roads too. But I think a couple of then had some contributions. I certainly started and finished every road so far though.

I am seeing lots of vehicles, ladders and postboxes etc too
Interesting. I suppose its cool that the experience is so different for everybody. I think I've only encountered one or two roads built by others, did the rest myself. Still have a few gaps in the road to Mountain Knot.

Anyone? Dont wanna keep playing until fixed if its a bug
I just got there the other day and don't recall a song coming up. The game is so minimalistic and random when it comes to music, it's honestly hard to tell. I think there's a song another time you have to go to the city, but I don't want to give anything away.

saiko

Keeper of the White Materia
Nov 4, 2017
I finished Episode 13 and holy crap Kojima that was a massive super annoying troll. Did you REALLY have to make it that annoying? Lmaooooooooo.
I think it would be a little less painful if you can actually walk around and explore the area without the constant location reset. In the end I just gave up and climbed to the top of the little green hill, got to the highest point and just stood there and let the rest of the credits roll. Lol. This is like Revenge of The Ladder except so much worse. Massive deliberate time wasting. Hahahahahaha.

If you press the touchpad during this sequence, he says some pretty funny lines. Massive troll indeed lol.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
That's kinda random Sony rep. No Andrew House or Shu Yoshida?

No neither of the two. I still suspect one of the Distribution centre dudes is a highly edited Keanu Reeves. His beard....

death-stranding-cameos_4.jpg

But that's just tinfoil hat me
1488648711-reedus.gif

_Gandour_

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Interesting. I suppose its cool that the experience is so different for everybody. I think I've only encountered one or two roads built by others, did the rest myself. Still have a few gaps in the road to Mountain Knot.

I just got there the other day and don't recall a song coming up. The game is so minimalistic and random when it comes to music, it's honestly hard to tell. I think there's a song another time you have to go to the city, but I don't want to give anything away.
You mean if a song is played when you travel to mountain knot city for the first time? I don't think so.

I ask this because i received music from the terminal when arrived at the destination, previous times that music have played on the journey. So i guess this things are unrelated?

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Guys a random question .
when the bt catches me they slide me somewhere close to the octopus. Is that what happens always or I can die without being taken to the octopus ?

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
I ask this because i received music from the terminal when arrived at the destination, previous times that music have played on the journey. So i guess this things are unrelated?

If you unlock a song after a mission, it was supposed to play during that mission. The music won't always play when you're on a vehicle or near enemy territory, though. Missed lots of songs because of that.

_Gandour_

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
If you unlock a song after a mission, it was supposed to play during that mission. The music won't always play when you're on a vehicle or near enemy territory, though. Missed lots of songs because of that.

WHAT? NOOOO.

Altough i was not at a vehicle and you HAVE to pass through a mule camp on the wsy to MKC 🤔

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Guys a random question .
when the bt catches me they slide me somewhere close to the octopus. Is that what happens always or I can die without being taken to the octopus ?

The ones that drag you there cannot kill you.
That´s movies director Edgar Wright

Well shit, I forgot he was in this I thought he had longer hair. That's cool to see, I still haven't found the other Sam yet he should have been the one at Lake Knot City instead.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any way to know where i have any ''Orders for Sam'' left to complete after have finished the story? From the map it says just total orders available.

Usually 2 - 3 signs and maybe one or two postbox. Theres nothing else, like I saw 3 bridges built since the start of the game and even by contributing it changed nothing

I'm just honestly thinking that nobody play this game here, which would make sense since sales are honestly not that good it seems

Have you done any strand contracts (from pause menu - bridge links)? Pick players with good stats and your map should be packed shortly after that. Last night other players structures and signs started to affect game's performance on my base ps4 and i did dismantled a lot of them.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
My friends I'm not going to lie. I think DS may have rewired my brain. I'm trying to play Judgment right now and I LOVE the Yakuza games and their formula but it is just not clicking rn.

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
I don't know how or why I'm enjoying this game so much but i am, up to episode 9 and I'm loving it. Story hasn't really pulled me in yet but I'll reserve judgement until the end

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I like to imagine Kojima just locked Norma Reedus inside of a to scale recreation of the private room from the game with a mocap suit on and just recorded all the random bull shit he did to kill time.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
IIRC most of shit was just random outtakes while he was rigged up in Mocap gear lol. Like he would wipe his face on his sleeve and Kojima in a spontaneous moment of inspiration would ask him to do it again.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
I kinda dont like at all how everything feels like its made out of plastic, even rocks. It really really doesn't feel good at all, didn't have that issue in Horizon

Also I got roads appearing out of nowhere, guess something got taken in account when I stopped playing

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Last night I spent two and a half hours completing the road to South Knot City, so now I can drive unobstructed from Lake Knot to South Knot and back. Feels good.

I'm right up against my chiral bandwidth though. Is there a way for you to only ha e your structures appear on the map so you can deconstruct them? I've forgotten where all I've placed things. But I also don't want to deconstruct anything with a lot of likes since that's useful to people.

Man fuck this game, making me deliver packages and have the bullshit "no more likes until you get your emails" system make it so that my time is literally wasted.

Fuck you, game.

Is that why I'm not getting any progress on some deliveries? I delivered a shit ton of stuff to Lake Knot and The Elder, and neither of them had their stars go up at all.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Last night I spent two and a half hours completing the road to South Knot City, so now I can drive unobstructed from Lake Knot to South Knot and back. Feels good.

I'm right up against my chiral bandwidth though. Is there a way for you to only ha e your structures appear on the map so you can deconstruct them? I've forgotten where all I've placed things. But I also don't want to deconstruct anything with a lot of likes since that's useful to people.

Your own structures are a slightly different colour on the map (green compared to blue, I think) but I'm not sure whether there's anything else.

Though the game's UI is missing a whole bunch of stuff that should have really been there. That you can't even do simple stuf flike know your vehicle's durability/weight limit is ridiculous.

Is that why I'm not getting any progress on some deliveries? I delivered a shit ton of stuff to Lake Knot and The Elder, and neither of them had their stars go up at all.

Yep, but I do think that the progress gets 'banked' for when it's actually ready to progress. Just delivered something to the Film Director and he went up by two stars as once. So it's still shit game design but at least those hours aren't wasted.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Your own structures are a slightly different colour on the map (green compared to blue, I think) but I'm not sure whether there's anything else.

Though the game's UI is missing a whole bunch of stuff that should have really been there. That you can't even do simple stuf flike know your vehicle's durability/weight limit is ridiculous.

Yeah. I feel like the UI has a lot of great stuff, but is missing several QOL things that either need to be patched in or must be included in a sequel. The map is huge and cluttered with all sorts of icons, there needs to be a way to sort stuff.

Yep, but I do think that the progress gets 'banked' for when it's actually ready to progress. Just delivered something to the Film Director and he went up by two stars as once. So it's still shit game design but at least those hours aren't wasted.

Ok, great, thanks. Good to know I'm not wasting my time, especially since there's a lot of stuff in this game that already wastes it.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I think the UI and things like invenetory management are pretty damn well done especially in comparison to what a clunky mess it is in other games with less actual inventory management and menu navigation than DS. There are certainly some issues like some weird sorting issues like how blood bags automatically get put into your utility pouch when sorting but armor plates don't automatically attach to your suit using the same function. Also the text is tiny and that sucks.

Jan 10, 2018

Deleting other peoples stuff only removes them from your game world. It would be a mess otherwise.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
And an MP3 player.

It's ridiculous that MGS4, one of the least gameplay-heavy Kojima games, has a music player but Death Stranding where you're literally just walking for the majority of your playtime doesn't.
That will will lesson the impact of the moments where they chose the music to play.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ok now that I noticed it, the music is not playing for me either. I guess it comes down to adaptive music where game algorithm just can't find a quite enough time to trigger a song? Just finished Chapter 8 and the music has played just 3-4 times.

Also where is the music Player option? It was supposed to be in the cuff-links menu but its not there anymore.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest thing this game is missing is the ability to have Sam take a shit out in the world. Let me drop a number 2 behind that post box you cowards!

Atrophis

Oct 25, 2017
Finally finished. Just under 46 hours. Was considering staying up last night as I thought I was nearly done. Yeah...no. Thats one long ending sequence.

I really liked the game. Yeah, theres some annoying stuff in it and some UI stuff that should have been included, but I dig what Kojima was going for.

Now I can finally watch the launch trailer, read the reviews and catch up on the ton of DS threads.

Last edited: