• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

warcrow

Oct 30, 2017
Oh my gosh, I got to Chapter 3 yesterday and FINALLY not only got the
Power Skeleton
, but leveled it up.

So HAPPY! :D

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I believe you press Triangle on that person's username when navigating the Bridge Links section to make a Bridge Contract. The prompt is at the very bottom of the user info screen, so whatever it says there, but I believe it's Triangle. It's very small, so it's easy to miss.

Ah, thank you. I finished the game, but may go back and try to build some more stuff.

CruJones33Rad

Apr 22, 2019
Too many things in this game are locked just to make things difficult. Why are the vehicles locked in all the camps? Why can't you remove the MULE camp sensors and destroy them? Why can't you put a Timefall resistant cover on vehicles? You can walk with your clothes on but it's too advanced to put a tarp on the trucks? The truck battery that lasts for like 3 minutes? lol. The list goes on and on. I can carry 250kg on me but can't connect a 1lb umbrella on top of my backpack to avoid timefall damage?

Jan 10, 2018
Colored my truck red and black. It's sooo pretty!

Too many things in this game are locked just to make things difficult. Why are the vehicles locked in all the camps? Why can't you remove the MULE camp sensors and destroy them? Why can't you put a Timefall resistant cover on vehicles? You can walk with your clothes on but it's too advanced to put a tarp on the trucks? The truck battery that lasts for like 3 minutes? lol. The list goes on and on. I can carry 250kg on me but can't connect a 1lb umbrella on top of my backpack to avoid timefall damage?

There would be no need for planning or player interaction if everything could be solved instantly with simple upgrades. Why look at the weather forcast or seek out shelters if you can just nullify the rain completely? Why bother with power generators or roads if everything was self-sustainable? There needs to be some kind of risk/reward and sense of progression in place. Everything you bring up gets easier as you play along because you do unlock stuff that help you on your way. But it just doesn't get rid of the problem entirely; there's still things to concider when you use those unlocked items. Instant access to a vehicle might sound good but you will soon find out that walking might just be the best approach in general.

Last edited:

NickMitch

Nov 1, 2017

Its because you are meant to cooperate with others by building ways around the MULE camps, give/recieve aid in shape of charge stations, roads, rainfall shelters. Your suffering is meant to invoke a sense of "if i feel this resentment, others do, so if i built a shelter, i make someone else relieved, and in return they may build something in return"

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
You know I kinda rolled my eyes at the proclamation of the "strand" genre before I popped the game in, but now that I'm in Chapter 3 I think it's actually pretty justified. I've never played a game quite like this, both wholly single-player but also undeniably reliant on its online components. Not to mention how the game works all this into the lore perfectly.

I will also chime in that I'm glad I "suffered" through a lot of deliveries with just the basics in Chapter 1 and 2 and took my time, since there's obviously no going back to those days now. It feels almost nostalgic with exos and bikes everywhere now, lol.

Valcon

Oct 28, 2017
Chile
I made a complete
zip line route
in the first zone. Now I can make deliveries in record time to almost anywhere on the map. Awesome game. I really feel in the role of a delivery man.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2017
US
What's the deal with shouting with the touch pad?

I read the tip/info entry for it and all but...what triggers someone shouting back at you? Sometimes I get what appears to be another online player or whatever "shouting back".

CruJones33Rad

Apr 22, 2019
What's the deal with shouting with the touch pad?

I read the tip/info entry for it and all but...what triggers someone shouting back at you? Sometimes I get what appears to be another online player or whatever "shouting back".

Eventually there will be AI porters out there you can talk to and trade things with. But only after you suffer alone doing everything the most difficult way possible. Apparently this it to teach you that life is hard and meaningless without cooperation.

Tayaya

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah that has definitely made the game more enjoyable. I want to get done with Chapter 3, but I'm tempted to work on roads! 😫

Don't worry. You still can even after you finish Chapter 3 - you aren't forced out of that region or even instructed to keep heading west for a while. Indulge in some story and then get back to building. You'll even get some standard non-story quests that make you deliver several hundred units of metals and ceramics to the other nearby spots, so it'll actually benefit your road building to move forward a bit!

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
For all the talk of how "long it takes to get to the good part" I found chapters 1 & 2 really fun and they flew by. A few hours of walking, taking in the scenery and isolation. Now in chapter 3 it feels like the world just got sci-fi. I almost miss the simplicity of the early places.

Might be because I'm playing slower than others, but anyone else feel like they aren't "contributing" to much but the world just seems to populate anyways? I contributed to two roads because I had material on me, and all the same there was instantly a highway connecting the first half of the map. Massive in scope. But I did nothing to help, and really couldn't have. I did two deliveries and it was just DONE for me. Feels... sort of too easy? I don't feel connection, I feel like big brother is just swooping in to save me before I need help.

Tayaya

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Also, I keep reading about Zip Lines, when do I get access to them ?

Right after the opening cutscene to Chapter 5. Chapter 4 is a short little diversion, and then you start 5, watch a cutscene, and get your ziplines.
Worth it, too. They aren't crazy expensive and make some of those vertical climbs a breeze. And BB likes them!

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
What really surprised me is how small the world actually is. I feared an enormous barren landscape that feels almost procedurally generated with little no no unique structures, like No man's sky for example.
But the world itself is really not that big, it's just unusually slow to traverse. Every location feels (and is) handcrafted and there are a lot of unique structures (except for the distribution centers and shelters).

What surprisingly takes me out of the world are the actors. I don't see a soldier, I see Mads Mikkelsen in my Video game.
Go to Heartman? Hey, it Nicolas Windings Refn in a wacky outfit.

Still love it though.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
trekking veeeery slowly through the game, i just got the exoskeleton and...I don't like it ?
looks like all the walking and balancing mechanics went down the crapper and i can just press forward and go wherever ?
It isn't so, right ?

Oct 27, 2017
trekking veeeery slowly through the game, i just got the exoskeleton and...I don't like it ?
looks like all the walking and balancing mechanics went down the crapper and i can just press forward and go wherever ?
It isn't so, right ?

the exoskeleton just lets you carry more weight but if you're lugging a lot of cargo you definitely lose balance the same way you would without the exo, it's more of a boost to the carrying weight if anything. I only have a level 2 exo not sure if the higher levels have more benefits

Ananasas

Jul 11, 2018
What really surprised me is how small the world actually is. I feared an enormous barren landscape that feels almost procedurally generated with little no no unique structures, like No man's sky for example.
But the world itself is really not that big, it's just unusually slow to traverse. Every location feels (and is) handcrafted and there are a lot of unique structures (except for the distribution centers and shelters).

What surprisingly takes me out of the world are the actors. I don't see a soldier, I see Mads Mikkelsen in my Video game.
Go to Heartman? Hey, it Nicolas Windings Refn in a wacky outfit.

Still love it though.
Do actors in movies take you out of the world?

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I work at a game developer here in the UK. In the meeting this morning the question was posed "Has anyone played Death Stranding?" only 2-3 people in a room of 40+ put their hands up and the other people deathly hated the game. While I was speaking up, praising them game to no end and saying I think it's Kojima's finest game. People looked at me confused and almost in pain listening to me say this. I've heard the name Death Stranding passed around the office like some sort of joke the last few days so that response didn't surprise me.

It just sucks a little because I think the game is a bloody masterpiece and I love it to death.

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know how the online works? like how does it choose to whom show your constructions? is it by level? i only once saw a construction that i couldn't built yet.., but in general i start to see them after i get the "blueprints" for them.

I work at a game developer here in the UK. In the meeting this morning the question was posed "Has anyone played Death Stranding?" only 2-3 people in a room of 40+ put their hands up and the other people deathly hated the game. While I was speaking up, praising them game to no end and saying I think it's Kojima's finest game. People looked at me confused and almost in pain listening to me say this. I've heard the name Death Stranding passed around the office like some sort of joke the last few days so that response didn't surprise me.

It just sucks a little because I think the game is a bloody masterpiece and I love it to death.

It does suck, i have some friends who didn't play it and totally hate it, saying than doing quest from A to B to C and repeat plus pressing L2-R2 is no fun.. without even trying it...
So i totally get your feeling, i'm really enjoying the game so far, i'm in chapter 5 after hearing mama's story.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
the exoskeleton just lets you carry more weight but if you're lugging a lot of cargo you definitely lose balance the same way you would without the exo, it's more of a boost to the carrying weight if anything. I only have a level 2 exo not sure if the higher levels have more benefits

Ahhh, right. Makes sense, I thought it was doing all the balancing for you but it's still relative to the total weight you can carry.
I had like 90Kg on me before, wearing the skeleton made Sam move as if he was carrying 45.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC

People at my office love it but we still all make fun of it. Both he and his games are very memeable.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018

I'm not a game dev, but I was telling people in the office today how this might be my GOTY so I hope when others try it they don't see me as a weirdo too 😬

Oct 25, 2017
Another question, sometimes doing some "side deliveries" i get upgrades for the blueprints, but i never got them when the bot does the delivery, do you get them anyway from the bots?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I have a strong feeling this years GOTY poll is going to surprise a lot of people on this forum...

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Oh man WTF, this player I've been obsessing over (guy with 1 million likes) LIKED some of my stuff.

This is so fucking weird LMAO. How the fuck did Kojima cultivate parasocial relationships in a fucking video game bro. I'm eagerly anticipating getting likes from certain players and that's so fucking weird. I actively look for their structures in the environment to give likes to aswell.

5pVhyng.png

uWLvOdK.jpg

Death Stranding |OT2| Clout Chasin'

astro

Oct 25, 2017
1-4. 5 is always just a star decal for your outfit.
After 5 some of the vendors will hand out custom gear every time you hand in a premium delivery. Chiral ladders from the Junk Dealer, Chiral boots from the Chiral Artist, Custom Hematic Grenades from the Collector, etc...

EDIT: sorry, yeh, just leveling gear is 1-4, but you do get more gear for taking it over.

Jyrii

Oct 27, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
How important is side stuff regarding main stuff difficulty?
I am currently liking the game quite much, but I am afraid I will burn out. I just got to
Weather station
and have done some side deliveries, but mainly focused on the story stuff.

HouseDragon

Dec 4, 2017
So, Mads Mikkelsen just
wished me a Happy Birthday
in Death Stranding. I didn't think I could love this game any more, but here I am!

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

That's a bit sad really. Sort of like they've pre-emptively shunned the game, presumably because the main premise is so unusual and non-action emphasised. It's funny how "UPS simulator the game" has become a bit of an internet mocking meme. If anything it's somewhat of an indictment of much of the gaming community, in the fact that delivering parcels with rich systems and mechanics as a gaming premise is frowned upon, but "killing simulator the game" titles are completely worthy of constant recurring interest and promotion.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a generator in Capital Knot City or should I make one with PCC? my trike needs recharging.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Wow, it took me until chapter 3 to realize signs replenish your attributes when you run through them, like the Keep On Keepin' On and Don't Give Up signs restore your Stamina and the BB sign makes BB happy. I've just been laying down smiley face signs because I liked how they look lol but apprently they do nothing?

Also I didn't realize you can hold X from anywhere in a list menu to confirm; you don't need to scroll all the way down to the button to select confirm. So many little QoL things the game doesn't outright explain!

Crash331

Oct 28, 2017
Also I didn't realize you can hold X from anywhere in a list menu to confirm; you don't need to scroll all the way down to the button to select confirm. So many little QoL things the game doesn't outright explain!

I can see how you missed that, but it does say it right there on the screen. It has the X symbol with the circle around it which means hold it down.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a generator in Capital Knot City or should I make one with PCC? my trike needs recharging.

settlements and roads/bridges have a power grid in and around them, but that just means your stuff doesn't consume energy. Still need a generator to charge. No need to be stingy with building structures, small ones at least. I've only run out of bandwidth once and that was from spamming bridges everywhere.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
have you been forming bridge contracts? Whenever I see something in a good spot I make sure to add that player and it seems to be working well. For example there was a perfect timefall shelter near the junk dealer from a guy I contracted due to a safe house I'd used earlier.

Can you please remind me how to do that ? I've been ignoring a lot of those kind of options.