• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
A good haul I say!
image0.jpg

All in a days work

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Another Death Stranding closed, odd.

Wow man congrats! Is that AI and online players?

I think just a lot of deliveries lol. I've been spending way too much time in Chapter 3 doing deliveries. Gonna put my foot down and focus on just the story for a few chapters now.

Also, I keep reading about Zip Lines, when do I get access to them ?

Granted I haven't been using Ladders and the rope climbs that often either. Just running and skyrim-ing my way through the places.

A good haul I say!
image0.jpg

All in a days work

Hot damn !

Septimius

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly, that's my point. You can limit yourself to basic mechanics in most games and call it boring, just chip away at a boss or only carry one loadout... and while this game's reward system could definitely be tighter in terms of requirements for S rank etc... the depth of options and rate of unlocks is pretty great, and pretty much all mechanics and options are useful in creating a creative and efficient network of solutions to traversal.

I don't think this is what Open Wound is talking about. I get the point. It's like when you first encounter BTs. You're slow, crouching, deliberate. You spend 5 minutes getting out of the encounter, because you feel the threat of the encounter. But when you progress, that threat kind of dissipates. I don't feel shit tension when I'm dealing with BTs. It's not like a clicker encounter in TLOU, which it really should've been like.

The game restricts its own impact with the toolset it gives you. I can just lob grenades at any BT that's in my way. It doesn't even alert anyone else. Even if it does, it doesn't matter. You're pinned down. Maybe you'll get out. If you don't, it doesn't matter. As Open Wound says, if you run out of stamina it doesn't matter. If you damage your cargo, it doesn't matter. You just get fewer likes.

I love this game, but I really get this point.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I feel I can understand the motivation to create another open world game from a marketing standpoint. In the previous generations games fought for the player's attention with their graphics and setpieces and previously their 3D levels but now that it's possible and now that the race is going strong, game releases seem to be about convincing the player that there's enough bang for their buck, so a narrower 10-15 hour game with no multiplayer portion is a hard sell.

From a creative/artistic standpoint though I often find myself asking if this game wouldn't have an overall stronger impression if it was more quick and to the point with maybe 25-50% narrower areas. I sometimes wonder if the reason we blow everything up in scope is simply because the hardware allows it - which we always wanted to but the PS2 hardware wouldn't allow for bigger maps than an area in MGS3 for example - or if it's all just because of market-necessities and trends... staff size as well.

I really do feel this game would be better if they constrained its scale more, but even so it's not the worst biggest world I've seen it's just another "maybe too big" kind of world out of many.
I think this game's scale is kind of necessary to sell the world and the theme and to really give the player a feel of adventure. Trekking all the way to the other side of the map (before player contributions have been unlocked) in the most efficient way possible with basic tools was so rewarding, smaller scale wouldn't have allowed that.

So I do think this game justifies its open world... but your thoughts about open worlds in general being part of the "bigger is better for the sake of it" style that is often on show is definitely valid.

Saying that, I would love Kojima to ditch the open world next time and concentrate on a more focused delivery. I started a playthrough of MGS1 recently, and the pacing in that game is insanely tight while the metroidvania aspects still give it a feeling of adventure without a huge scale, and the delivery of the story is so impactful largely because it's really well timed. I think perhaps a sequence of Ground Zeros style small sandboxes with a wide linear design and some more coirdoor parts in between would be ideal for me.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Death Stranding had me from start but the hype around Chapter 3 is real. Whoever made the comparison to BoTW and going from The Great Plateau to Hyrule proper was spot on. It's such a glorious feeling when the training wheels come off.

Some good Samaritan built a bridge right between The Craftsman's outpost and the MULE base in the area which proved to be a game changer. Took out the MULES, stole both their trucks, and cleaned out the entire base, funnelling supplies back to my private locker with ease thanks to the bridge. I spent the rest of the session using my newly acquired fleet(and riches) to build roads. Other players joined in and by the time I logged off the once desolate expanse of terrain now had this long stretch of ghostly highway cutting through as far as the eye could see — an upside-down double rainbow looming omninously overhead. What an incredible moment and sight to behold. Maybe the most satisfying gameplay payoff I've had this year. What a game.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
Question:

Chapter 10 - is it possible to do deliveries on the way back? I don't want to miss any opportunities to just do more basic delivery orders.

Last edited:

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this is what Open Wound is talking about. I get the point. It's like when you first encounter BTs. You're slow, crouching, deliberate. You spend 5 minutes getting out of the encounter, because you feel the threat of the encounter. But when you progress, that threat kind of dissipates. I don't feel shit tension when I'm dealing with BTs. It's not like a clicker encounter in TLOU, which it really should've been like.

The game restricts its own impact with the toolset it gives you. I can just lob grenades at any BT that's in my way. It doesn't even alert anyone else. Even if it does, it doesn't matter. You're pinned down. Maybe you'll get out. If you don't, it doesn't matter. As Open Wound says, if you run out of stamina it doesn't matter. If you damage your cargo, it doesn't matter. You just get fewer likes.

I love this game, but I really get this point.
That was part of what they were saying, and I can understand that the system isn't balanced perfectly in terms of risk reward. The part I was contesting was that the game doesn't require you to do anything more than hold r1l2 and slowly climb everywhere, and that if you're finding that boring it's on you for not fully exploring the systems and not the game.

I don't want to go in circles any more, but I explained why the game does reward you for going in depth with the variety of systems, so we'll have to agree to disagree if you think otherwise.

Oct 25, 2017
Frustrated that since it seems nobody is moving past Chapter 3, all my work on a zipline network in the mountains will go to waste. Because by the time everyone gets there (if ever), they'll have decayed from Timefall. And I am for sure never replacing them...

The only likes I seem to get anymore are from people driving on the three road sections I helped build...

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
Frustrated that since it seems nobody is moving past Chapter 3, all my work on a zipline network in the mountains will go to waste. Because by the time everyone gets there (if ever), they'll have decayed from Timefall. And I am for sure never replacing them...

The only likes I seem to get anymore are from people driving on the three road sections I helped build...
Most of my manual likes come from generators and Timefall shelters
I don't build bridges I've seen some that has 10000 likes each but the roads I build net a good deal of likes enough for the trophy
Plus the zipline network you built will be useful to you to 5 star all stations

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I think it got twisted. My advice isn't so much to rush through Episode 2, but once you finish the story quests and have to go to Port Knot, don't hang around doing all of the extra things. You can come back later and it will be more fun.

Unless doing the deliveries with just ropes and ladders is your jam, then carry on.
I think that's sound advice for all the completionists out there.

Oct 25, 2017
Most of my manual likes come from generators and Timefall shelters
I don't build bridges I've seen some that has 10000 likes each but the roads I build net a good deal of likes enough for the trophy
Plus the zipline network you built will be useful to you to 5 star all stations
Those make a lot of sense, seeing as how you actually have to stop at them and wait, so people are more inclined to literally smash that like button.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018

I´m not so sure about nobody moving on rom chapter 3, its more that the game randomly chooses what to tansfer to other peoples´gameworlds. When i connected the mountains, i built my own Network and regularily found some lone Zipline Stations dotted around the place from various players but almost none of them could easily be integrated into my own Nettwork.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I think perhaps a sequence of Ground Zeros style small sandboxes with a wide linear design and some more coirdoor parts in between would be ideal for me.
Ground Zeroes was perfect and in hindsight I rather want to revisit it than MGSV, because by concentrating the scope that narrowly you also focus all your design and work on figuring out how to make such a small area really dynamic and diverse to play through, and that's where open worlds bore me. It's about going from A to B and the stuff in between is sparsely detailed. I don't find any Mule encamptment memorable for example. They're just there to be in the way, so you can have a point of challenge for certain deliveries. The same goes for BTs a lot of the time, and when none of those factor in it's just "rock formations, snow, moss, how steep is this part?" etc. and while I keep paying attention to when I need to hold L2 or R2 or monitor my Stamina over time the routine grows old, even though I keep doing it. I think that only becomes a detriment to my lasting impressions.

Dec 25, 2017
I'm about 20 hours into the game now (Ch. 3) and I'm getting really annoyed by the MULE camps. I'm not sure if it the game explained it at any point but I'm clearly missing something basic about the stealth elements here. Everytime I even get near a camp their sensor posts ping me from miles away and they already know to start looking for me. I get that it's just a small spot they look at for where the cargo ping is but is the only option seriously to just infiltrate a camp with no cargo so the sensor doesn't ping anything? That seems... not great if true.

Up to this point, I've just said screw it and have been knocking them out but this newest location has a ton of them. Hiding in grass, crouching doesn't seem to do much of anything because I can't even get remotely near the actual buildings or MULEs without them seeing me.

What am I doing wrong here?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about 20 hours into the game now (Ch. 3) and I'm getting really annoyed by the MULE camps. I'm not sure if it the game explained it at any point but I'm clearly missing something basic about the stealth elements here. Everytime I even get near a camp their sensor posts ping me from miles away and they already know to start looking for me. I get that it's just a small spot they look at for where the cargo ping is but is the only option seriously to just infiltrate a camp with no cargo so the sensor doesn't ping anything? That seems... not great if true.

Up to this point, I've just said screw it and have been knocking them out but this newest location has a ton of them. Hiding in grass, crouching doesn't seem to do much of anything because I can't even get remotely near the actual buildings or MULEs without them seeing me.

Nothing wrong, but I would say at first the best way can often be to move around them. Later on you will get skills that improve stealth and combat, like being able to negate the ping.

You could also leave your parcels at the edge of the border, sneak in and take them out, then go back and collect, if you wanted to.

Oct 25, 2017
I´m not so sure about nobody moving on rom chapter 3, its more that the game randomly chooses what to tansfer to other peoples´gameworlds. When i connected the mountains, i built my own Network and regularily found some lone Zipline Stations dotted around the place from various players but almost none of them could easily be integrated into my own Nettwork.
Yeah, that makes sense. And I was worried that would be the case. It's frustrating though, because half of my reasoning behind it was that I was hopefully making certain sections easier for other people and that the game would be smart to populate other people's games with ziplines that connect, rather than just randomly. But looking back at my own experience with online ziplines, they rarely connected. I think I had only one instance where there was a fully connected path from Mountain Knot to a prepper. It was marvelous.

Still, I hope that they're helping some people somehow. They do have some likes on them, but not nearly as much as I'd hoped.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For newcomers, two tips :

- You can disable player's panels in game options (Parameters > Spoilers > My panel only )

- You can dismantle any structure from the map (with triangle) if you aren't too far from it.

- You will get the bad ending if you abandon a vehicle on a highway. 🤬 /sarcasm

Last edited:

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't have any structures that seem to be generating a ton of likes, and I wonder if it's because I put them in such obvious places that other players have them already and mine don't get chosen to be 'pulled in'. Bridges especially - I use my own bridges, shelters and generators constantly because they are in perfect spots. And there are worn paths going to them, so players use those areas for sure. But 0 likes on 'em and nobody has ever responded to my requests for upgrades.

Roads generate most of my likes but I've noticed I'm no longer even showing up as a contributor on a lot of the roads I built single-handedly. I do have some of them active though and I get a steady stream of like notifications and 'soandso provided repair materials for X bridge or paver'.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely love this game so far. Just had a chance to play about 5 hours so far, but it's just hitting the right spot. I had some game burnout earlier this year and didn't really feel like playing anything, but then I picked up God of War, and that was so damn good, just finished it before starting Death Stranding and now I'm fully back in. What a great one-two experience.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
This game keeps on delivering (no pun intended).
Today, after dozen hours in, I discovered

there are kind of optional boss fights[./SPOILER]

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Is this either some end-game spoiler, or a joke I'm not getting? No spoilers, please.

it's a joke. But yeah, highway litter is becoming a bit of a problem, lol. Maybe I'll be more careful in the future - I tend to park my truck at the end of unfinished sections while I'm delivering materials. If I abandon one I'll make sure it's out of the way.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm the only one who builds roads. I literally built the entire road from one end of the map to the other. I don't understand why I never get people building (things other than signs) in my game. They sure love putting signs all over the road I built though.
They also start ziplines that never connect to anything so I try to fill in those too. Very rarely do I come across any completed traversal system.

Oct 25, 2017
Alright- I'm on my 6th day of red boxing it and just made it to chapter 4.

Is it time to throw in the towel?
I mean, you're past the longest chapter, but definitely not the most frustrating one (that's Chapters 5 and 6). If it's not clicking with you, sure. Don't give Redbox any more of your money.

Assuming that's what you mean...

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm the only one who builds roads. I literally built the entire road from one end of the map to the other. I don't understand why I never get people building (things other than signs) in my game. They sure love putting signs all over the road I built though.
They also start ziplines that never connect to anything so I try to fill in those too. Very rarely do I come across any completed traversal system.
You need to utlize strand contracts to see more builds from the more productive players. Once I did this, my road contributions went up a lot.

Crash331

Oct 28, 2017

The camp is surrounded by sensor posts. As soon as you enter the perimeter, the camp itself pings you. Then, if you are a good enough target, the MULEs will investigate and ping you with their sensor.

You can sneak around with minimal cargo. When I had to find the video game system for the collector, I did it all stealth so I could be in and out and not fight the whole camp. I had 5 grenades in pouches, blood bags, ladders, ropes, PCC, etc. and I was still able to hide in the grass and tie up 5 MULEs and not alert the rest.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
They also start ziplines that never connect to anything so I try to fill in those too. Ve
I've heard it suggested that this could be a limitation of the way the game pulls in other player creations. Those isolated zipline nodes might be a part of a network in that player's instance, but your instance might just pull that useless and isolated node in itself

Just speculation though

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017

have you been forming bridge contracts? Whenever I see something in a good spot I make sure to add that player and it seems to be working well. For example there was a perfect timefall shelter near the junk dealer from a guy I contracted due to a safe house I'd used earlier.

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
I mean, you're past the longest chapter, but definitely not the most frustrating one (that's Chapters 5 and 6). If it's not clicking with you, sure. Don't give Redbox any more of your money.

Assuming that's what you mean...

Thanks. Yeah- its a balance between powering through or just returning and buying the game/ waiting for a sale. I'm just not sure of the longevity/ replay value of this particular title. Are we expecting any DLC?

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
The camp is surrounded by sensor posts. As soon as you enter the perimeter, the camp itself pings you. Then, if you are a good enough target, the MULEs will investigate and ping you with their sensor.

You can sneak around with minimal cargo. When I had to find the video game system for the collector, I did it all stealth so I could be in and out and not fight the whole camp. I had 5 grenades in pouches, blood bags, ladders, ropes, PCC, etc. and I was still able to hide in the grass and tie up 5 MULEs and not alert the rest.

I've just been letting the jerks come for me. When they come at me I bolo gun their asses and then run over and kick them. Then I have free reign to load up one of their trucks and haul everything back to a distribution center.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. Yeah- its a balance between powering through or just returning and buying the game/ waiting for a sale. I'm just not sure of the longevity/ replay value of this particular title. Are we expecting any DLC?
I've been there before with Redbox rentals. So often I power through games that I shouldn't and it makes the experience awful.

I don't think they've mentioned any DLC for it, but I wouldn't put it past them. It's the kind of game that could easily get some since it's open world and those seem easy to expand upon.

I personally don't think I'll replay it, but I am keen to keep building up roads and such after I'm done, so I can max out my connections. So if that appeals to you, it might be worth it.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
have you been forming bridge contracts? Whenever I see something in a good spot I make sure to add that player and it seems to be working well. For example there was a perfect timefall shelter near the junk dealer from a guy I contracted due to a safe house I'd used earlier.

No because I looked at the menu and couldn't figure out how to do it. I'll go back and look. It seems like if someone is building a line of ziplines that I can see, that I should be able to see all of their progress and help out. Is that what the contracts do? Because as it is, I don't feel like building anymore roads or anything.

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
I've been there before with Redbox rentals. So often I power through games that I shouldn't and it makes the experience awful.

I don't think they've mentioned any DLC for it, but I wouldn't put it past them. It's the kind of game that could easily get some since it's open world and those seem easy to expand upon.

I personally don't think I'll replay it, but I am keen to keep building up roads and such after I'm done, so I can max out my connections. So if that appeals to you, it might be worth it.

Appreciate your input. It's a unique game that I find myself carelessly pushing through- not taking it all in. I shall think on it!

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Started to playing today because my special edition arrived just yesterday,from the little I played the sense of scale is off the charts.

Oct 25, 2017
No because I looked at the menu and couldn't figure out how to do it. I'll go back and look. It seems like if someone is building a line of ziplines that I can see, that I should be able to see all of their progress and help out. Is that what the contracts do? Because as it is, I don't feel like building anymore roads or anything.
I believe you press Triangle on that person's username when navigating the Bridge Links section to make a Bridge Contract. The prompt is at the very bottom of the user info screen, so whatever it says there, but I believe it's Triangle. It's very small, so it's easy to miss.

NickMitch

Nov 1, 2017
That besides the Mads Mikkelsen sequences and the four mandatory BT/Higgs bosses, battles are purely optional. I just ran away and was really joyful that it was a viable option

Jingo

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Liking the game but a bit loss with all the menu options, can i take two missions at once? Ive tried but i must be doing something wrong.