• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
I always feel like the game wants you to take a particular path for certain story elements, but there's always an easier way around backtracking. For instance:

When we have to travel all the way from Edge Knot to Lake Knot, I see tons of people online talking about having to trek back through the mountains how long it was. I just jumped on a bike and sped around the perimeter of the south part of the map until I made it to the timefall farm. The shore line is relatively rockless and you can speed through every BT along the way without touching any of them.

Then I used the zip line network I already built for the timefall farm and zipped my way back all the way to the Distro center an then took the road all the way from there to Lake Knot. Took like 10 minutes.

One thing I loved about this chapter though was how it was raining everywhere. Traveling on the roads in that dense fog and seeing all the lights from the bridges and other constructions off in the distance was really cool looking. It was so atmospheric.
it's almost like the game rewards you for using its systems. It was hugely satisfying to bypass large sections of the long trek due to the building I've done before.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I might be mistaken, I can't remember exactly where that quest was... have you been to the weather Station and timefall farm yet?
If so, it will be further along than a third, maybe 2/3s.
Eep, someone who remembers answer please!
Hey, thanks. Yes. So far it was entering and doing Elder/Engineer/Craftsman before going to the Distribution Centre South of Lake Knot. Built the road between and first of the next slab. Spent a long time at this point doing whatever came of interest. Did the Weather Station then onto the Timefall Farm. Now just done Junkyard and put of them both on the Network.

Wondering whereabouts I am in Chapter 3 % wise so I can get a sense of how to pace the missions.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, thanks. Yes. So far it was entering and doing Elder/Engineer/Craftsman before going to the Distribution Centre South of Lake Knot. Built the road between and first of the next slab. Spent a long time at this point doing whatever came of interest. Did the Weather Station then onto the Timefall Farm. Now just done Junkyard and put of them both on the Network.

Wondering whereabouts I am in Chapter 3 % wise so I can get a sense of how to pace the missions.
Ah, so judging from that you're probably about 2/3s through. I think all that's left here is: Film Director, Cosplayer, and South Knot City (with Mama's lab en-route, but you don't connect that). So basically the lower right portion of the map.

Khoryos

Nov 5, 2019
Mules seem to respawn every time I use the private room, otherwise the camp's stayed cleared for me. BT's I think come back after a while no matter what.
Looking through the trophy list suggests there might be a more permanent way to deal with BTs later on, but I really don't know? Kind of regretting looking, tbh. Something about "Severing Umbilical Cords".

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
I don't know which chapter you are right now but later on stamina depletes very fast if you just walk and aren't prepared for the journey.There were some missions where
I barely made it to the destination.Keep in mind that I'm taking about your max stamina depletion which can only be replenished by using your private room, not the one where you can replenish by just drinking Monster or resting.

Have you actually let it run out though? If you let the stamina bar (the one that doesn't recharge) run out, you're just prevented from sprinting. You won't lose anything worthwile by letting it drop to zero.

If you go on a long trek, you lose your max stamina. And while a quick burst is gained from initial BT encounters, you get a HEAVY crash very shortly after.

And, again, the entire point here is creative problem solving to make the most efficient and speedy route, NOT teeth bearing difficulty.

I could get through most games without even touching advanced mechanics. DMCV could be beaten with just the basic moves. Does that make it pointless using advance moves just because you don't need to?

In Destiny 2, I could use one single loadout for everything. Does it mean I should just because I can? That would make the game very dull...

Same here... just because you CAN hold L2R2 and climb slowly, doesn't mean you SHOULD. The depth of the mechanics is there for you to utilize to make the gameplay both more interesting AND to solve the problem of creating the most efficient routes. Ignoring this is like spamming one attack through an action game just because you can and saying "this is boring".

There's a reason why I used a turn based combat system as my example and not an action one. Death Stranding is all about making tactical choices for your trip, strategize if you will. If those tactical choices barely have drawbacks, they become meaningless. An action game can be a ton of fun even if you're not fully utilizing the toolset or if it doesn't present high difficulty. However, if for example you barely need to dodge attacks, and enemies barely attack, like in DMC2, then you're in front of a shitty action game and you won't employ the mechanics at your disposal because it's not needed. DMCV might not need you to be a virtuoso with the combos, but it certainly requires you to engage with it. Death Stranding is more similar to DMC2 than V if you ask me, but that's just my take.

And just for the record, I'm not playing the game "wrong". I always have half the weight of my cargo limit in order to be fast. I don't go out of my way to search for cumbersome routes just because they're not punishing enough, I try to go through the better route that I see. As I said, I don't like to min/max, but I like to play efficiently.

ElOdyssey

Oct 30, 2017
Hey, Sacul64! Still out there helping reconnect the world? 😄Thank you so much for the tip you sent me. At the moment, I'm just in my private room, stocking up on some oxitocin (😍). I have been out there trying to do my part to restock the auto pavers. Last time I did that, I actually just put a random amount of resources on my truck – a truck I had stolen from a nearby MULE outpost! – and drove down to the auto paver. To my surprise, when I loaded up all the resources on my back and went to restock it, the resources I had brought was EXACTLY the amount needed for that paver!Talk about lucky! 😅On the way back, I ended up running into timefall, so I just took the truck all the way back to base and planned my next trip.

I'll definitely keep your tip in mind for next time, though. Doubt I'll be that lucky for the next one! Thanks for sharing your tips, and keep being a legendary deliverer! Hope to see you out there! 🤩
👍👍👍👍👍👍👍 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍
OMFG this made me LOL Thank you!

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Ah, so judging from that you're probably about 2/3s through. I think all that's left here is: Film Director, Cosplayer, and South Knot City (with Mama's lab en-route, but you don't connect that). So basically the lower right portion of the map.
Awesome, that's useful to have in mind. Thanks!

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Have you actually let it run out though? If you let the stamina bar (the one that doesn't recharge) run out, you're just prevented from sprinting. You won't lose anything worthwile by letting it drop to zero.

There's a reason why I used a turn based combat system as my example and not an action one. Death Stranding is all about making tactical choices for your trip, strategize if you will. If those tactical choices barely have drawbacks, they become meaningless. An action game can be a ton of fun even if you're not fully utilizing the toolset or if it doesn't present high difficulty. However, if for example you barely need to dodge attacks, and enemies barely attack, like in DMC2, then you're in front of a shitty action game and you won't employ the mechanics at your disposal because it's not needed. DMCV might not need you to be a virtuoso with the combos, but it certainly requires you to engage with it. Death Stranding is more similar to DMC2 than V if you ask me, but that's just my take.

And just for the record, I'm not playing the game "wrong". I always have half the weight of my cargo limit in order to be fast. I don't go out of my way to search for cumbersome routes just because they're not punishing enough, I try to go through the better route that I see. As I said, I don't like to min/max, but I like to play efficiently.
No, they do not become meaningless just because you say they do.

You're ignoring the fact that this is about creative problem solving. Refusing to engage with the systems, systems that have real depth and reward, you are putting your fingers in your ears and saying "walking around slowly climbing everywhere is so boring, nanana!".

This game requires you to engage with the systems as much as DMCV. You plod along in DMCV spamming basic attacks... or you style on enemies and speed through content with advanced techniques. You plod along slowly holding l2r2 and climbing like a snail in Death Stranding? Or you "style" on the environment and actually engage in the creative use of mechanics just like DMCV.

It's fully on YOU to create efficient and interesting routes. You're only holding yourself back by being this stubborn about it.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Looking through the trophy list suggests there might be a more permanent way to deal with BTs later on, but I really don't know? Kind of regretting looking, tbh. Something about "Severing Umbilical Cords".

I've seen some gameplay of that; it's another way to dispatch them due to something that happens in chapter 6. I don't think it's permanent though.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I wish you could set the music player to start playing automatically once you enter my room.
I wish they would let you use the music player while walking around... I know they want the moments of music to have impact, but I'm actually thinking of turning off the soundtrack soon and loading up the DS spotify playlist... but then I want the context sensitive music too...

This is one of the game's problems that I don't think they solved perfectly. So much of the game's soundtrack is badass, and you can only listen to it in your private room or if you stand near structures you've customized and added the music to.

homez99

Oct 25, 2017
are you guys talking about the chiral relay mission? i didn't run into any MULEs during this part. i think maybe i managed to route around them…?

this font colour is making me wig out.
BB…

Yeah there's a mule camp near the bottom corner in the southwestern portion of the map. Sounds like you went around them!

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017

If your stamina bar goes out while climbing on a hill, you'll lose balance and slide down the hill, usually dropping packages in the process. If it goes out while running, the game will often force you to bend over and take a breather.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Chapter 5 sandbox question:

So I just got the mission to head towards the mountains after meeting Mama. I know there's a shitload of gear I still haven't acquired from NPCs. Should I just grind for that stuff now before going to the mountain, or will that make the rest of the game feel empty in terms of upgrades and new shit?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Hey, Sacul64! Still out there helping reconnect the world? 😄Thank you so much for the tip you sent me. At the moment, I'm just in my private room, stocking up on some oxitocin (😍). I have been out there trying to do my part to restock the auto pavers. Last time I did that, I actually just put a random amount of resources on my truck – a truck I had stolen from a nearby MULE outpost! – and drove down to the auto paver. To my surprise, when I loaded up all the resources on my back and went to restock it, the resources I had brought was EXACTLY the amount needed for that paver!Talk about lucky! 😅On the way back, I ended up running into timefall, so I just took the truck all the way back to base and planned my next trip.

I'll definitely keep your tip in mind for next time, though. Doubt I'll be that lucky for the next one! Thanks for sharing your tips, and keep being a legendary deliverer! Hope to see you out there! 🤩
👍👍👍👍👍👍👍 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍
Lmao this is so spot on. Everybody post ITT should follow this format for a day.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Chapter 5 sandbox question:

So I just got the mission to head towards the mountains after meeting Mama. I know there's a shitload of gear I still haven't acquired from NPCs. Should I just grind for that stuff now before going to the mountain, or will that make the rest of the game feel empty in terms of upgrades and new shit?
You are constantly unlocking new gear from new quests well past that point

astro

Oct 25, 2017
If your stamina bar goes out while climbing on a hill, you'll lose balance and slide down the hill, usually dropping packages in the process. If it goes out while running, the game will often force you to bend over and take a breather.
And, to note, the difficulty here is when you carry large loads to deliver to multiple points on a long route. Let's say, using both floating trolleys fully stacked, your back full... stamina drains fast. Especially if you keep climbing over rocks.

So you need to utilize ladders, bridges, plan routes to make sure you don't lose so much stamina that it becomes too slow.

It honestly reads like Open Wound hasn't bothered to challenge themselves to make a long chain of deliveries in an efficient way, because when you do THAT you will find the need to creatively plan routes is paramount or you will run out of stamina often, your max stamina will deplete, and you will use up your canteen. I've been in the middle of routes having just made a large string of deliveries, not near a river to replenish my canteen, half my max stamina gone, just picked up a fresh cargo to take back with me... and needed to really plan my final route to avoid running out of stamina entirely.

The challenge in this game is delivering as much as you can, as efficiently as you can, as quickly as you can... and if you do this you will absolutely find yourself running low and having to cleverly plan routes.

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished Chapter 9
Yo the whole thing is fucking nuts, traversing city ruins while avoiding exploding jellyfish BTs, fighting a huge ass BT, and a showdown with Higgs that is feels like it's ripped straight from TLOU + MGS4. Whew

Also I assume that the story is going to be more linear from here on out because I don't see how cargo deliveries make sense after this point (would love to be proven wrong since I love doing those)

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina

👍👍👍👍👍👍👍 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

Hhahaha for a moment I thought it was legit from the game.

Last edited:

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For anyone who's seen the credits roll I have to ask if you noticed

the players you connected with were added into the credits

Just finished Chapter 9
Yo the whole thing is fucking nuts, traversing city ruins while avoiding exploding jellyfish BTs, fighting a huge ass BT, and a showdown with Higgs that is feels like it's ripped straight from TLOU + MGS4. Whew

Also I assume that the story is going to be more linear from here on out because I don't see how cargo deliveries make sense after this point (would love to be proven wrong since I love doing those)

You're gonna have a very clear objective and are on the home stretch so yes more or less it will be more linear

May 24, 2019
Yeah there's a mule camp near the bottom corner in the southwestern portion of the map. Sounds like you went around them!
i think so! after the previous missions in that area, i knew there were BTs just south-east of heartman's lab as well as at the tarpits, so i plotted a very long roundabout route that avoided every threat along the way. easily the most complex routing i did in the game, and the most enjoyable. i was sitting there for a good few minutes examining the map really closely, using the share button to rotate it so i could get more of a sense of the elevation. ended up doing the whole thing in a truck!
incidentally, using the boost feature on vehicles was my favourite way to traverse steep slopes. felt a lot like i was breaking the game but it was worth it, not the least for sam's frustrated exclamations when you struggle with one slope for too long

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
No, they do not become meaningless just because you say they do.

You're ignoring the fact that this is about creative problem solving. Refusing to engage with the system, systems that have real depth and reward, you are putting your fingers in your ears and saying "walking around slowly climbing everywhere is so boring, nananan!".

This game requires you to engage with the systems as much as DMCV. You plod along in DMCV spamming basic attacks... or you style on enemies and speed through content. You plod along slowly holding l2r2 and climbing like a snail in Death Stranding? Or you "style" on the environment and actually engage in the creative use of mechanics just like DMCV.

It's fully on YOU to create efficient and interesting routes. you're only holding yourself back by being this stubborn about it.
You can't creatively solve problems if there isn't a problem to solve. At most it's an inconvenience. Which is entirely my point through all these posts. In the end, Death Stranding is nowhere near punishing enough for me to find it engaging from a gameplay perspective.

Anyway, I'll keep playing through it. If my opinion changes, I'll return to the thread again, if not I don't really have more to add to the discussion, so I'll leave it be.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
You can't creatively solve problems if there isn't a problem to solve. At most it's an inconvenience. Which is entirely my point through all these posts. In the end, Death Stranding is nowhere near punishing enough for me to find it engaging from a gameplay perspective.

Anyway, I'll keep playing through it. If my opinion changes, I'll return to the thread again, if not I don't really have more to add to the discussion, so I'll leave it be.
The problem is "how do I deliver a large amount of goods in the fastest and most efficient way", you are being purpoisly obtuse now. Again, you don't need any of the advance techniques in DMCV... you use them because they're fun and make encounters faster. Same thing here.

You are refusing to acknowledge this, so have fun slowly plodding along and climbing things like a snail while the rest of us actually engage with the systems and build creative and efficient routes.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
So on Chapter 8
How did you guys manage to pass the Mule camp?
Did you avoid all the enemies?Did you use the bola gun?
Me personally I went as far to the right from the camp as I could and avoided pretty much all of them haha :P.
It was definitely the most difficult delivery of the game so far.It felt great when I finally managed to reach the tar crater.
I actually probably made that trek a little too easy for myself, had a ZL all the way to the closest prepper, took a bike down the mountain, and then found a truck at the edge of the chiral network. Managed to avoid mules mostly. They started firing on me but didn't get really get in my way.

that being said, it was a pretty awesome payoff to all the previous work I had done.

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
The problem is "how do I deliver a large amount of goods in the fastest and most efficient way", you are being purpoisly obtuse now. Again, you don't need any of the advance techniques in DMCV... you use them because they're fun and make encounters faster. Same thing here.

You are refusing to acknowledge this, so have fun slowly plodding along and climbing things like a snail while the rest of us actually engage with the systems and build creative and efficient routes.
I refuse to acknowledge this because I reject the notion that the way I'm playing is not effcient. It might not be in later parts of the game, I'm still early, but don't expect me to just acknowledge something when I fundamentally disagree with it.

ramyeon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at 30 hours in and still in Chapter 3... I've been five starring almost every outpost I unlock and 'tis is easily GOTY for me at this point.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I just watched the intro again.
Is Bridget the literal mother of both Sam & Amelie? Why is she played by the same actress? If Amelie only made the journey west 3 years ago, why does she still look the same when we see her give little Sam the dreamcatcher even though it's supposedly been 10 years since Sam last saw everyone? Why the hell does Amelie's dress change colors for that split second?

I'm still in Chapter 5. Should I just shut up & keep playing?

Last edited:

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I refuse to acknowledge this because I reject the notion that the way I'm playing is not effcient. It might not be in later parts of the game, I'm still early, but don't expect me to just acknowledge something when I fundamentally disagree with it.
You don't even know how much more efficient you could be because you're literally ignoring systems that would make it so.

You ARE moving far, far slower than the rest of us, this is not even debatable.

It's just like chipping away at a boss with basic attacks in DMCV and ignoring the advance adoptions and saying "I AM BEING EFFICiENT".

You are not.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
won´t lie this is the first game in a LONG time where i think about doing all the contact stuff now instead of finishing the story. i am somewhere in 2/3 and i want that this game lasting a bit longer for me. knocking out contact stars at the moment

it is so good how you can customize the gameplay: i am running nonstop with the speed skeleton and floaters attached to me, carrying multiple PCC´s to build like a madman(generators to keep on running lol) running headfront into MULE territory and wrecking shop, i am smiling all the time when playing the game this way, it is hilarious :-)

LuuKyK

Oct 29, 2017
Brazil
I just watched the intro again.
Is Bridget the literal mother of both Sam & Amelie? Why is she played by the same actress? If Amelie only made the journey west 3 years ago, why does she still look the same when we see her give little Sam the dreamcatcher even though it's supposedly been 10 years since Sam last saw everyone? Why the hell does Amelie dress change colors for that split second?

I'm still in Chapter 5. Should I just shut up & keep playing?

I have the exact same question. I am so confused...