• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
So far I'm not hating Chapter 6...I just did the Mountaineer to Doctor to Mountaineer quest and it took me 6 minutes out of the hour timer they give just thanks to the zipline network I set up lol

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Chapter 6 lmao

God damn. The zipline coverage stuff feels great to pull off but there's way too many people that just don't let you chiral connect so you have to keep slogging out of their zone. BTs are also not nearly interesting enough to be thrown at you so much.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
yeah I think a lot of people's lack of enjoyment really stems from ignoring the mechanics. the game couldn't be more clear about "BUILD ZIPLINES YO".

Chapters 3 through 6 were so much fun to me.

And I also really enjoyed the combat chapters, especially the last one. Didn't feel any oddities regarding the controls either.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Somewhere around 30 hours in and still in Chapter 3 and having an incredible time still. This game really is something special.

I only just noticed in the last hour though that you can 'sprint' with your bike. I've been using it with the default speed the entire time. So many trips from Lake Knot to the Distro Centre at that speed and a few with barely any when loaded up heavy (it crawls). Hit the sprint button and was like what the fuck?

Avoiding this thread mainly because of a couple of (hopefully minor) spoilers I thought I caught while browsing. Missed out on giving a lot of my impressions going through Chapter 3 which was a bummer watching others do it from the sidelines. The way the game completely shifts in approach when you get the skeleton is great and a wonderful change of pace having loved the methodical and minimal Chapter 2.

Just got to the Junk Dealer and did the quest to make him happy. Paused to rest there and saved the journey back to the Mules for next time.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
So what color is y'alls backpack
rH9mQVI.gif

I just wish I could get my white starter suit back. It had a nice spaceman vibe to it, which made my early hikes feel entirely otherworldly.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm loving chapter 6, probably my favorite chapter, mountain climbing is such a cool experience and different than what we've been doing so far, you also have so many tools available that it's ridiculous.

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
I've tried to write my feelings about this game since launch. From the fucking amazing intro, to my birthday being Nov 8th and having the game give me cake and flowers.. to the graphics and the soundtrack and sense of community it's all so special and amazing. I can easily see this becoming my GOTY.

so many games are similar to each other or a franchise I've played for 10 years. it's a breath Of fresh air to be stepping into a new thing everytime I play

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
lmao at these mario references. mario and princess "beach" made me laugh out loud why did they do this

them running down the beach is cornier than anything in kingdom hearts

Pacote

Oct 25, 2017
São Paulo
After finishing it and watching the speed run, I think this game is better played on the easiest difficulty.

Because BT boss fights gets boring after the second one you do.... so being able to off them in only a few nades would be better.

Since theres no challenge and its just time consuming, If I were to play it again, I would probably just choose easy

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Wow the junk dealer sidequest was top tier kojima trash holy shit lol.

The actress who does the voice of the girl can't be a professional right? Or she try to simulate a foreign accent? I was jist laughing my ass off every time she talks...

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Wow the junk dealer sidequest was top tier kojima trash holy shit lol.

The actress who does the voice of the girl can't be a professional right? Or she try to simulate a foreign accent? I was jist laughing my ass off every time she talks...
She sounded like a non-native English-speaker. I didn't think anything was wrong with her performance.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So far I'm not hating Chapter 6...I just did the Mountaineer to Doctor to Mountaineer quest and it took me 6 minutes out of the hour timer they give just thanks to the zipline network I set up lol

Yeah, that part is cool. Most people might end up with something similar to this but it feels great to pull off.

Evilmaus

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone seems to be saying not to spend too much time in Chapter 2, especially doing side quests. Is the payoff from getting to Chapter 3 really worth main-lining chapter 2?

I appreciate the rewards for side quests this early in the game will never be as high as just doing story quests, but as someone who is enjoying the Chapter 2 stuff regardless, it feels like a shame to not spend more time doing odd jobs in the region.

I suppose the main question is whether the area is easy to return to once I've gotten to Chapter 3, as I don't want to leave so much unfinished here?

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Everyone seems to be saying not to spend too much time in Chapter 2, especially doing side quests. Is the payoff from getting to Chapter 3 really worth main-lining chapter 2?

I appreciate the rewards for side quests this early in the game will never be as high as just doing story quests, but as someone who is enjoying the Chapter 2 stuff regardless, it feels like a shame to not spend more time doing odd jobs in the region.

I suppose the main question is whether the area is easy to return to once I've gotten to Chapter 3, as I don't want to leave so much unfinished here?

If you are enjoying yourself then carry on. The reason people say that is when you get to chapter 3 you quickly gain access to tools which make your life a lot easier.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

You can return at any time, and the gear you get in chapter 3 makes it much quicker/easier to do some stuff

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

It is easy to return to but the pace of the game and the way you approach deliveries changes up extensively compared to the more minimal "ladder and rope Sam" of Chapter 2.

I spent a long time in Chapter 2 because I enjoyed that and I'm thankful I did. 3 is great and I'm still there at hour 30 but it's a different focus and the challenges are in other areas.

So if you're enjoying Chapter 2 for what it is stick around until you're ready to move on.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Is the speed robotic legs level 3 a sensible upgrade compared with level 2? Because even with an additional battery on my backpack, the autonomy in that thing is bad if you run and i kinda hate to use cars or bikes in this game.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
The thing with carrying people on your back because timerain is so silly. Obviously they just didn't want to animate more than just Sam with all the terrain shit going on.

Or maybe these special rain jackets are a rarity

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
This mainstream gamer from work (seems to only play big AAA games) bought the game "cuz Kojima" pretty much and I asked him what he thought of it so far.

"Don't get the wrong idea about the game but I'm gonna return it" he says. "Game is good but it would take too much time to finish" is his claim.

Kinda sounds like an excuse to me. I actually figured the dude would enjoy it but damn, returning it after a few days?

Still looking to buy this. Even if I don't love it I ain't returning or trading in shit. I never do that, it's wack in my book.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Again, why should I use a rope, when I can just drop quickly through the rocks and hold L2/R2 in order to not drop the cargo. There's no significant penalty to the stamina meter, and the risk to falling is null thanks to the effectivness of L2/R2. The only way using rope make sense is when you're on a steep cliff, which I haven't even encountered yet.

Climbing is also effortles, why set up stairs when I can just climb. Again, is simpler, it's faster, I'm not penalized for it

If the past of least resistance is the most effective (quickest doesn't mean most efficient. It's the combination of speed, safety, and least effort) then damn right I'm using the path of least resistance. There's no reason not to beyond wanting to Min/Max, which I have never enjoyed to do.

And just to be clear, I'm not saying I'm pressing L2/R2 all the time. I'm saying that it always works as a failsafe, so there's no risk of going wild with the cargo weight and going through really steep terrain because L2/R2 will always save your ass.
I honestly don't know what you're doing here. You cannot drop down some rock faces, saying you havn't even encountered them yet is bizarre because they're everywhere. They stand in front of many of the most direct routes to the destination, and it's far, far quicker to use a ladder or rope than skirt the edges holding l2r2 and moving far slower.

And some of them you can JUMP down and even sprint down, only holding l2r2 when you need to.

The fact there is a slower way that is solid and a faster way that takes focus and a bit of skill is precisely the way it should be. L2t2 NEEDS to be solid so you can drop in to it between sprints and jumps to stop yourself from falling.

Honestly it sounds like you're using the system badly. Especially if you're ignoring ladders and ropes.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Do people not just load up the biggest, fattest cargo stack they can and try to carry it down mountains? You definitely need ropes for that (or if you're a cool dude you surf a series of carriers down with it)

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
This mainstream gamer from work (seems to only play big AAA games) bought the game "cuz Kojima" pretty much and I asked him what he thought of it so far.

"Don't get the wrong idea about the game but I'm gonna return it" he says. "Game is good but it would take too much time to finish" is his claim.

Kinda sounds like an excuse to me. I actually figured the dude would enjoy it but damn, returning it after a few days?

Still looking to buy this. Even if I don't love it I ain't returning or trading in shit. I never do that, it's wack in my book.
Buy it off your co worker friend

I thought I would hate this game for its busy systems, but now I think it is challenging DMC5 for my goty ( I ain't pick this avatar for nothing so that's a lot for me to say right now)

Khoryos

Nov 5, 2019
The bots can only be deployed on standard missions. As far as I can tell, standard missions are repeatable, and seem to repopulate themselves every 12-24 hours. I went back to the starting area recently as I didn't have much time to push the story, and figured I'd get some stars built up, and a few of the standard orders I had done previously were back in the list - complete with the highest rank I had achieved on them.

So when you use a bot on these orders, even though their efficiency is terrible, you're basically getting free likes. You can still go back and do those missions again for a better score once they repopulate. I'll use the bots to do an order that's way out of my way, or before I log off for the day. It doesn't get you a lot of likes either, but it also takes no effort. I imagine they'll be able to be improved at some point too (I'm still in Episode 3). There's really no reason not to use them unless you want to take the job yourself and do it all in one go.
I think a lot of people are making the same mistake I did at first - the percentage it shows is how much damage it will take, not how much durability it will have left. The lower the percentage, the better.

Carbonox

Dec 13, 2017
Finally started this last night. Chapter 2, 4 hours in, oddly I feel I'm keeping up with what this game is about and its systems relatively OK and I fucking love it.

The soundtrack - so far at least unless later songs you get are worse which I doubt - is already a top 5 of the gen for me. Love the music in this game. The opening was gorgeous.

There's a sense of peace and serenity despite the setting/looming dread atmosphere-wise that I have not experienced in any game before. Just walking around with your packages and navigating the harsh land, it's soothing, for lack of a better word.

Haven't touched the surface of this game really and it's already sticking out for me among the rest of the games I've played this year. It's so unique.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
This async gameplay stuff can suck at times How is it out of 100+ players, I'm the only one to build a proper zipline network?

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Buy it off your co worker friend

I thought I would hate this game for its busy systems, but now I think it is challenging DMC5 for my goty ( I ain't pick this avatar for nothing so that's a lot for me to say right now)

I was thinking about asking him, but he's kinda awkward. I imagine he'd come up with some weird excuse not to sell it to me. He got it off Amazon anyhow, so I imagine he doesn't just wanna sell it to me.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Yeah the same timerain that doesn't seem to affect Sam, since he's only wearing a hoodie that doesn't protect his face. If the world outside was so dangerous, characters would wear full helmets / hazmat suits. This game is full of inconsistencies

Yeah, it would have been much better (and in no way hard to implement) to just have him automatically put on a little Mask everytime when it rains.
Its especially noticeable when you are in the Mountains and Sams´ whole face is covered in Snow.

This async gameplay stuff can suck at times How is it out of 100+ players, I'm the only one to build a proper zipline network?

You probably are not but the game seems to choose what you get to see from other players randomly, so the Networks of other people will only show up in your game in fragments that make no sense.