• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017
If you went through all of that reading, you deserve a song from the OST:

And this is what I'm talking about when I say the ost is generic to me. This reminded of some knock off alicia keys track or something I hear over the radio...
Not saying its bad but its just not my cup of tea and not a big fan of these big lyrical track on video games, especially in a game like DS where you explore in solitude.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
As a huge fan of Snatcher, MGS1, MGS3, and to a lesser extent, MGS2, it's with a deep sigh I have come to the realization that for the 3rd release in a row, I once again can't finish a Hideo Kojima joint.

After like 17 hours, I've been racking my brain for 2 days now dicking around in Episode 3 trying to find some kind of motivation to push on. I've been grasping at anything- Maybe the atmosphere will do it, maybe Shinkawa's great character design, maybe the music, maybe, somehow, I'll match frequencies with this game and get some kind of rush from dropping packages off at these locations. No matter what I try to do I can't make sense of this. I made an earnest attempt to find the qualities in it that people praise, and nothing works for me.

At the core of this game is the traversal and deliveries. This is a the meat of the game and right off the bat I don't feel like there's enough depth to sustain itself. The weight system, which in theory should impact every single decision and how you progress moment to moment, is trivialized by holding the shoulder buttons and crouching occasionally. In 17 hours I fell once, and that only happened because the animation prioritized stumble clipped me right through a rock and off a small edge where the Decima engine decided to show it's lack of grace in handling characters leaving the ground. Every single delivery was essentially the same process over and over. The lack of truly dynamic elements here put me in a comatose state. What at face value makes itself out to be a sort of Grow Home: UPS Edition requires very, very small moments of ingenuity or survival skill. I had an in depth discussion with friend Xtortion who found these missions to be some kind of euphoric experience, and no matter how he put it, I couldn't make heads or tails of what I'm supposed to be getting out of the game. It's not difficult, it's not traditionally fun, and it's not exciting. That sense of going on a journey and making it through hell with your packages isn't there for me. It's all too stilted and funneled. For every odd moment where the online functionality provides a cool bit of community cooperation, there's 2 hours of trekking across a dead landscape where I'm not stimulated by anything that happens.

Okay, maybe the rest can grab me, so I turn to the BTs and the MULEs in hopes that they'll give these deliveries some kind of spark, some kind of dynamic wrinkle. Here's my second disappointment: These are both essentially half baked obstacles instead of interesting gameplay systems. I can recall friend Papercuts worrying when BTs were introduced as enemies way back during the gameplay trailers that they'd be little more than hide-and-seek moments that only had a fail-state and nothing else. And while they're not THAT simple, BTs, thus far, have also been nothing more than a strange little mini-game gameplay switch, used mostly in static areas as a pacing device. The lack of interplay here between player and BT feels woefully underdeveloped, as if the tension the game thinks is inherent in these scenes makes up for the lack of mechanics. For me... it doesn't. Already I'm finding grenades that further trivialize these scenarios, and I suspect it only gets less threatening from there. Then there are the MULEs, a shockingly simple and inconsequential breed of human enemy from the man who brought us footprints at Shadow Moses, and CQC holdups with a dozen options. Within 2 encounters you realize that these guys don't matter and you can hogtie parry a whole camp while carrying a Kronos sized mountain of packages on your back. The potential of that early cutscene where they react to timefall is dashed once you realize you will never be able to play them against the elements or the BTs. They're just another obstacle to walk around.

Okay, so maybe the story can grab me. Surely this cast of incredibly modeled characters and solid actors will do it. Surely, free of the labyrinth that is Metal Gear Solid, Kojima will be able to start fresh, crafting new iconic characters who are full of life and not spending every waking moment explaining away the mess of plot twists built up over 30 years. Disappointment #3: I couldn't be more wrong. More than ever Kojima is writing ciphers. Metaphors jump off the script, screaming into your face until all that's left are mouthpieces for ideologies. I don't know what happened to the guy who imbued Snake with a full personality, bouncing him off of his codec cast, taking you through the gamut of emotions and getting to know these people beyond the mission, but he's no longer in control. What we have here is another exposition fest, with acronyms and sci-fi concepts being thrown around as fast and loose as they always have, but with none of the playfulness or character moments that used to prop all this nonsense up. This is absolutely pure, unfiltered, unrestrained Kojima, and that is commendable to a point. After that though, I need some kind of grounding. Without a core for all of this stuff to orbit, I'm left with this narrative soup where nothing matters and dozens of minutes of dialogue go by as my eyes glaze over. People talk endlessly about BBs, and voidouts, and corpse disposal, and timefall, and America, and connection- repeating these things over and over as if there is ZERO trust in the player to retain or infer, but I just don't care. I can't care.

At some point yesterday I decided to stop here, in the rut of a very long 3rd episode. It might get more interesting mechanically, but I've already tried for almost 20 hours. There are more talking points such as the wacky UI design making everything tough to read at a glance, but why harp on that when I have bigger issues. I decided to go headfirst into spoilers and make a call on whether it would've been worth my time to push on. It would not have been. It only gets more ridiculous as the deliveries get piled on in larger numbers. The visuals are gorgeous, the music is great, it's super polished, and there's a kernel of something really cool here, but it doesn't come together for me. I can't fault the game for being a unique thing in a sea of safe AAA tentpoles, but that's about where my praise stops. All the atmosphere, mystery, and insanely cool sci-fi stuff I could've wanted from a game in 2019 I got from Outer Wilds. So if you feel like me and want to take anything away from all of my rambling, play Outer Wilds. That's Wilds, with an "i."

It's true. Outer Wilds GOTY.

The trade off is that Sam loses exhaustion meter in situations where he is on a steep cliff or in deep water while he balances with both triggers, which when it drops leads to falls and getting swept away by water. Having played nearly 50 hours of it and being nowhere near finished I would honestly have gone mad by now if holding both triggers wouldn't be a reliable safety net or he had more trouble climbing. In my opinion there's just the right amount of input required to make walking and steering Sam engaging without making it annoying, with a good amount of stamina management put in the mix later on.

I'm fine with its functions in those scenarios, though I think the red river areas have been underutilized (so far anyway), it's just that even outside of the general stamina I guess I figured it would be a bigger pain to lug near max cargo around.

I do think chapter 6 has been the most interesting regarding that so far atleast. Though I am on team zipline so I've been making them everywhere, which is satisfying in its own weird way.

That's next on my list. I have a truck, so I should be fine.

What's the deal with these side-deliveries that piss out more cargo than you can possibly carry? I just did one that would have been fine except I couldn't fit the last two pieces of cargo on the MULE truck I had. Is there anything that can carry everything or did they design it that way just to be fucking assholes?

You can eventually make your own truck and it carries way more than the mule one. 2 cargo bots might also work, not sure how much that would hold.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
It took me until a couple deliveries into Episode 3 to get into the game but now I can't stop.

Was really not enjoying the game, even ended up just going to watch spoilers because I needed to know the story.

Now I'm into Episode 4 and I've played for 6 hours. No regrets. What a cool thing this is.

OmegaMori

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
So my PS4 just shit the bead.. turned Off in during game play... now it will not turn on have no idea what happened and game is stuck in the console.. no point to get a new PS4 with PS5 so close and I hardly ever play my PS4 sucks because I was loving this game. :(

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Just finished building my first "full"
road
(with the help of a few other players), and I'm really surprised how satisfying it was to complete it. Knowing how tough it was to walk through that whole area, and then building such an infrastructure that can help you and other players so much, feels absolutely amazing. I'm really into the whole collaborative aspect of this game.

Everything about this is all stuff that on paper, and maybe even watching on video might seem dull but once you're invested, these little accomplishments feel really good.

One thing I really loved about this game from the very beginning was just looking into the landscape and actively deciding which path to take. Should I try to climb this mountain, or go around it? Should I walk on this rocky area and risk falling with precious in order to avoid some enemies? That whole decision-making process is a gameplay loop I never thought I would enjoy so much.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So is it worth it to 5 star everywhere? By worth it I mean do you get cool stuff?
I think i remember port knot city at level 4 give you another automated bot.

Most others need to get to level 3 for new equipement. But usually level 4 and 5 are for customisation (hat color, bike color, glasses color, holograms etc.) I'd say the big important place might get better reward at level 4-5 than preppers

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Episode 7!

That was phenomenal, the best boss fight so far (I mean it's the same as before but in a much better enviroment and I'm way more equipped and skillful). The story is picking up steam too. This is great!

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
the game has a double jump how can it be bad
Right??? That feature made games like Mario Galaxy 90percenters.
I think when it comes to reviewers getting upset its somewhat understandable but extremely shitty of them to actually review it poorly because of it.... They have to:
1) Do the review in a certain amount of time, and this game is not able to be rushed without failing miserably. So it probably really started to piss them off.
2) Play it before the general public, so nothing else was built for them.

The problem I have is how loyal people are to reviews... People just don't try shit for themselves anymore and instead start bashing something they have no idea about based on someones angry review from an incomplete version of the game.

I don't think games like this should be able to be reviewed before they are released to the public.
It at least it is difficult to review a game properly if such a big feature is missing. Using and building stuff together is a big part of the fun for me. Spent hours with driving from base to street building machines and back just to deliver materials. So the social part is indeed a big aspect of the game.

But with my comment I was more aiming towards the users that use the Gameplay sucks comments or say it's so minimal. In my understanding, a game with rich Gameplay is a game with many ways to interact with the environment (and has often confrontations that make those interactions necessary or give them sense). And imo Death Stranding is a game with many options and interaction possibilities, it's just not shooting 24/7.

Pacote

Oct 25, 2017
São Paulo
Just finished and Im glad we have kojima to pull the batshit crazy shits only he pulls.

The last hours or so was simple amazing!

Overall for me this is an easy 9 ~9.5 game

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
A few thoughts from my mountain adventure:

The snow doesn't turn yellow when you try to paint yourself a pretty pee picture. Going to have to email Sony about a refund. That's some sloppy shit, Hideo!

On the other hand, snowboarding through BT territory does feel pretty, pretty, pretty good.

Overall, if there's anything Death Stranding has taught me, it's that human life has value about equal to that of a T-rex model and two PSPs.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I just arrived at Chapter 3, and I don't have bike or anything.
Is there a way to fabricate a bike, or should I just push on with the story and wait?

Roldan

Oct 29, 2017
Trying my best to not rush the story, but after episodes 6 and 7, man...

EDIT: how do I unlock the Bridges truck? I'm sure I should have it unlocked by now.

Oct 27, 2017
When you use hemetic grenades on enemies in close proximity to sam, dude ends up like fucking gnarly. Dude is just covered in what looks like blood and guts lol

Shryke

Oct 26, 2017
Okay I haven't played this much in a game in a while. Now in Chapter 5. Depending on how it all ends, this might be my GOTY.

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does one of the songs say "next level trust issues" or am I going insane? Can't find the song anywhere!

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You can sprint while holding the triggers down, it only loses speed when it's for like 2+ seconds. So yeah, I meant more on feathering it. Or just holding it when you're in a rocky area he can't move quickly in anyway. The issue I have with it is that it's the same action to mitigate everything, and even when you aren't doing it the window to "catch" yourself is huge. Even in situations like having everything leaning to the right and the game says to counteract this by pushing left to create your own centered balance, holding both triggers does the same thing so you don't actually have to think about it, even though you really would need to push the opposite direction to not topple over in that position.

Where I'm at in the game I can't really get a better video but this sorta shows an example even if I've had much more extreme ones.

There is a clear dirt path that wraps around this to head downward and is much more sensible to take, but if you run over the edge and have the triggers down you are completely fine. The stumble animation is safe and won't actually make any of your cargo fall or get damaged no matter how high the stack is, continuing to hold it afterwards while going over all those rocks ensure Sam never will start to trip, so as long as you aren't dropping from a height where he gets hurt you can do this all over the place. But my bigger issue there is that this happens no matter how much weight is on your back.

On the flipside, you also can scale rocks the same as well.

Even if there is no way in hell someone with that much stuff on their back would be able to really move much at all, he can quickly climb even when the stuff would basically be smashing off the rock.

Sam for me looks like the second video 90+% of the time. I always have a massive cargo haul which comes with a lot of inherent reward as you optimize runs and do a bunch of deliveries at once, but I don't agree at all that it carries risk with the way these mechanics otherwise work. Even in the hypothetical scenario where you're never not holding the triggers down, having slower movement speed at the expense of nearly being immune to everything aside from jumping off a cliff isn't much of a tradeoff.

Like, I get it and why it is how it is. The game is already bold enough in its pacing and overall design, but I personally would like atleast a traversal difficulty toggle or something that made it a lot trickier to manage high end cargo stacks. As is you don't get penalized much at all for not really thinking your paths through as long as you tap the triggers and as such there is basically no reason to travel light.

Right, but holding the triggers is still slower than not holding them. And to your point, I don't think the game really wants you to travel light very often if at all, in-fact the progression and rewards system sort of pushes you to carry more and more as you go.

Ultimately, the main negative of travelling heavy is the loss of speed. You simply sprint and move slower the more encumbered you get, or the heavier your load is, and in this game one of the biggest rewards so to speak, is saving time. The heavier your load, and the fewer ladders, ropes, ziplines, roads etc you use, the longer your deliveries take.

Personally I'm glad the game takes the liberties it does with the examples you've given, because otherwise I feel like it would be too frustrating and annoying. Especially when you're someone like me who is constantly going off the beaten path to try and avoid BT's, and as a result getting into precarious non-climable areas where I'm constantly losing balance, getting to awkward places, or running into stuff, even when using that trick.

When you're traversing really dangerous heavily (red marked) terrain, the button prompts for climbing don't always pop up, hence often you're choosing between maintaining balance and looking for that climbing icon to pop up, else you end up stumbling into stuff or losing balance.

Hell, the R2+L2 trick is the only thing keeping me sane or allowing me to navigate those much harsher off to the side, rocky cliff type segments that you often must to avoid BT's, especially given you really can't carry that many ladders and climbing posts, since later you have to leave space to carry grenades, sprays etc too, along with your actual cargo. Were it not for these traversal liberties, I'd be much less inclined to experiment with going off the beaten track, and would instead be forced to engage with BT's all the time, which for me would diminish the pacing and overall enjoyment.

Perhaps they could offer a survival mode to appease players who seek what you're asking for, where everything is even more realistic and punishing. But I do think that mode would be less enjoyable if those traversal liberties were removed, since it would essentially force you to stick to certain paths, instead of experimenting more to avoid certain areas or BT/Mule encounters.

Last edited:

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
The prologue and episode one make me half-seriously suspect Kojima came up with this whole thing to explain why, with the resources available to him after breaking up with Konami, he was able to put together a game where all you do is traverse mostly empty terrain. The story, setting, and holograms sort of work as an explanation why there are no NPCs or really any entities around other than the player character -- no need to program and animate AI and whatnot.

I know that's not actually the case though and you do encounter enemies later on. I'm just saying...

Anyway, this game actually seems like exactly my kind of shit. I'm the kind of person who never uses fast travel in open-world games and is perfectly fine just running around and taking in the scenery. And I've been waiting for more open-world games where combat is less frequent. Creates a better sense of contrast if you ask me. This whole thing sort of has a Shadow of the Colossus kind of feel.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally connected all roads in chapter 3. game says i built 19 out of what i presume to be 20 roads. i barely missed out on the second stretch of highway because i had to go get 200 more ceramic and someone snuck in before i could manage it, but then the rest was all me. all the way till the end. literally built every single road.

i wont lie. i did it for the likes. i am up to 100k likes now. mostly from people driving on my roads. i think kojima is a genius and this entire online aspect of this game is the most innovative feature ive seen all gen.

oh the main game is pretty good too. sucks that it kinda bombed in the uk which doesnt bode well for sales in the u.s but hopefully we will finally get some substantive discussion on how critics poison the well when it comes to certain games and how social media is used by the toxic gaming community to completely hijack the conversation and turn people away from some extremely fun games. its happened a lot this gen and it all starts with some poor form from critics which then enables bandwagon haters on youtube and twitter to dominate the discussion. the last guardian, andromeda, metal gear survive, days gone and even anthem earlier this year bombed because the critics poisoned the well so much, no amount of word of mouth could save those games. this game is actually rated much higher than all those games but reading the reviews and seeing the social media reception prior to the game it seemed it like was a terrible game.

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The prologue and episode one make me half-seriously suspect Kojima came up with this whole thing to explain why, with the resources available to him after breaking up with Konami, he was able to put together a game where all you do is traverse mostly empty terrain. The story, setting, and holograms sort of work as an explanation why there are no NPCs or really any entities around other than the player character -- no need to program and animate AI and whatnot.

I know that's not actually the case though and you do encounter enemies later on. I'm just saying...

Anyway, this game actually seems like exactly my kind of shit. I'm the kind of person who never uses fast travel in open-world games and is perfectly fine just running around and taking in the scenery. And I've been waiting for more open-world games where combat is less frequent. Creates a better sense of contrast if you ask me. This whole thing sort of has a Shadow of the Colossus kind of feel.
Just because they're holograms doesn't mean they don't require animation, and the AI isn't an issue cause it exists in other porters and whatnot, the main reason its holograms and not regular people is because the game is about forging connections in a world that everyone builds walls around themselves.
The holograms are 3d models that have animation, they could have them be outside waiting for you if they wanted, it actually probably took more to make them holograms lol

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
So delivery bots are worthless, right? I sent one on a specifically short trip that was 90% road. And yet half the cargo was destroyed and the surviving items took 80% damage or more. Ridiculous.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Why don't my fake smoke packages do anything near Mules? I placed in on the ground next to them... do I need to blow it up with a grenade?

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
Was intending on building more private rooms but someone usually already has or I'm unlucky with the terrain.

I still can't get over the evolution of the game over time in regards to community contributions. It's handled brilliatly.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Do you have to walk more later in the game?
I'm only at the beginning of chapter 3,but after I got the bike in episode 2 only only drove everywhere.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally connected all roads in chapter 3. game says i built 19 out of what i presume to be 20 roads. i barely missed out on the second stretch of highway because i had to go get 200 more ceramic and someone snuck in before i could manage it, but then the rest was all me. all the way till the end. literally built every single road.

i wont lie. i did it for the likes. i am up to 100k likes now. mostly from people driving on my roads. i think kojima is a genius and this entire online aspect of this game is the most innovative feature ive seen all gen.

oh the main game is pretty good too. sucks that it kinda bombed in the uk which doesnt bode well for sales in the u.s but hopefully we will finally get some substantive discussion on how critics poison the well when it comes to certain games and how social media is used by the toxic gaming community to completely hijack the conversation and turn people away from some extremely fun games. its happened a lot this gen and it all starts with some poor form from critics which then enables bandwagon haters on youtube and twitter to dominate the discussion. the last guardian, andromeda, metal gear survive, days gone and even anthem earlier this year bombed because the critics poisoned the well so much, no amount of word of mouth could save those games. this game is actually rated much higher than all those games but reading the reviews and seeing the social media reception prior to the game it seemed it like was a terrible game.

I feel you. I'm in chapter 3 and I feel like I'm going to spend goddamn 200 hours in this game just getting 5 stars with everyone and building roads and stuff.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you have to walk more later in the game?
I'm only at the beginning of chapter 3,but after I got the bike in episode 2 only only drove everywhere.
they do a good job making you walk to new areas. i am 35 hours in and its still thrilling as fuck. once you establish contact with bases though, you are free to use vehicles.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Got to chapter 5. This is clicking for me finally. It was aight for the first couple chapters, but there were a couple days where I had enough and did something else. Now I already can't wait til the end of work tomorrow to play.

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So im stuck at the wind farm. BB is disable, i have 2/4 of my strength left, no more weapons on me.

There's about to get an explosion, right? What if i die too close to the windfarm?

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
Biggest slog of the game so far. So much padding and back tracking... I was getting frustrated

and then the game picked up again. I didn't want to put it down once I got to Heartman

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
So delivery bots are worthless, right? I sent one on a specifically short trip that was 90% road. And yet half the cargo was destroyed and the surviving items took 80% damage or more. Ridiculous.
Yeah, dont know why they in the game. They offer very little. The devs may have added them to help bring the narrative and the game world to life.

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why cant you just sneak out?
I can try but if i get caught 2 time, i'll probably wont have strength left. There's a player house just outside but i miss like 300 upgraded material ahah, i'll sleep and hope for something miraculous tomorrow.

Btw is it me or those the eastern side of the map, the meteo is static, doesn't move, compared to the middle section?

rude

Oct 25, 2017
So im stuck at the wind farm. BB is disable, i have 2/4 of my strength left, no more weapons on me.

There's about to get an explosion, right? What if i die too close to the windfarm?
No? You don't have to do any kind of combat in this game outside the mandatory parts. Just hold your breath if you're around a BT (you don't need BB to get around them, just turn your sound up), or walk around MULE zones.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
How are you avoiding losing vehicles in BT territory?
just gotta be careful

Biggest slog of the game so far. So much padding and back tracking... I was getting frustrated

and then the game picked up again. I didn't want to put it down once I got to Heartman
i had the same experience. i'm at chapter 9 now and feel completely rejuvenated after chapter 6