• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Episode 6 finished, 33 hours in, and only 3.8% finished it too

I read impressions about Episode 6 which described it as horrible, I'm glad I found the good ways to reach the different goals with my bike and after connect them, I saw people installed ziplines, god bless them

i think that is frankly awesome, some people speak of Chapter 6 as an annoying slog while others literally flew through it lol

this gameworld is really dynamic and it is great

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Question about degradation:

I set up an expansive zipline network through the mountains. Are they permanent or will the zipline-posts degrade over time?

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
i think that is frankly awesome, some people speak of Chapter 6 as an annoying slog while others literally flew through it lol

this gameworld is really dynamic and it is great
Plentiful side-quests and a variety of ways to get from A to B ensure that you can play the game for a long, long time if you want to.

Question about degradation:

I set up an expansive zipline network through the mountains. Are they permanent or will the zipline-posts degrade over time?
I don't think I've seen a prompt saying those degrade. But I can't imagine anything is can degrade if it doesn't see some upkeep.

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, the traversal mechanics are the beginning and end for a lot of players. If they are inoffensive to you, then this game and others that focus as much on the journey as the destination will also be for you. But some people just can't be bothered with the journey and don't find it enjoyable. Their opinions are fair too. They just won't have any influence on your opinion. :)

That's fair but I think there's a distinction to be made here. Some people won't like the focus on traversal or the mechanics. That is 100% valid and fair.

But there are people, such as the IGN reviewer, who make the traversal mechanics look like something they are not. Opinions are one thing, opinions based around a fundamental misapplication of the traversal mechanics is another.

The latter does not answer the question to someone who might be interested in traversal but is wondering about how the actual traversal is implemented.

The IGN review for example is tripping over some basic shit like its the hardest thing that ever happened. It literally reminds me of the Polygon Doom video. I'm flabbergasted to watch someone struggle so much having played the game.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So chapter 13 I need some help.

I'm caught in a time loop and cant seem to make a difference with the choice. Any advice?

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
To be fair, the traversal mechanics are the beginning and end for a lot of players. If they are inoffensive to you, then this game and others that focus as much on the journey as the destination will also be for you. But some people just can't be bothered with the journey and don't find it enjoyable. Their opinions are fair too. They just won't have any influence on your opinion. :)

Yes, combat is pretty bad in general. But it gets pretty fun against the BT's later. Very satisfying, tbqh. You go from feeling like the prey to feeling like the predator. >:-D
That's the thing though, the game has a lot of other components other than just purely the traversal mechanics. It's much more of a traditional video game than people, both in being criticism and praise, are giving it credit as.

I can forgive the combat being bad. What bothers me is the stealth mechanics being trash. In a game that focuses so heavily on not killing, the stealth component should be way better than it is.

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
I'm currently doing the South Knot City mission
giphy.gif

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
I think my problem with a number of reviews is that they focused on the wrong things to criticize. There are absolutely tons of issues with the game such as the lackluster combat, poor stealth mechanics, in-game cutscenes, and etcetera but there was too much of a focus on the traversal mechanics and pacing.

I really hate how Kojima/Sony put the Chapter 3 restriction on the reviews as there's a lot to talk and analyze past that and reviewers focused too much on the earlier stuff as a result.
The moment I got to Episode 4, I realized how misleading and calculated the "spoiler embargo" truly was. So much about the game falls apart within minutes from the title card popping up.
I'm still loving it, just with a whole pile of buts. Those are pretty big buts, so seeing them only be hinted at in reviews and pre-release coverage feels pretty darn shady.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
That's fair but I think there's a distinction to be made here. Some people won't like the focus on traversal or the mechanics.

But there are people, such as the IGN reviewer, who make the traversal mechanics look like something they are not. Opinions are one thing, opinions based around a fundamental misapplication of the traversal mechanics is another.

The latter does not answer the question to someone who might be interested in traversal but is wondering about how the actual traversal is implemented.

The IGN review for example is tripping over some basic shit like its the hardest thing that ever happened.
Yea as I mentioned, honesty is required. And by "honesty", I mean placing things in proper context so as to not make them seem like bigger issues than they are (or smaller issues than they are).

Sliding down mountains is not an actual issue. In 46 hours, I dropped my cargo on a mountain cliff face maybe 4 or 5 times and I went into the game blind.

On the other side, bad driving mechanics ARE a problem and any time I'd need to drive somewhere that wasn't on a smooth road or highway I hated my life. I hated backing up. I hated trying to pop wheelies and get over things. I loved driving on highways and boosting, but most driving is on bad surfaces and small rocks are happy to make your bike act like it just ran into a wall. I really hate that kinda thing. Because of how central to the game vehicles are (in theory, anyway), I would knock points off in a review for them. Sure you can walk (I walked 90% of the time), but vehicles exist as a means to help you shave off time. If I vehicles could have taken my walking time down by 25%, I would have been happy with them...but they often times seemed like a slower option than just walking. In my experience, they just felt impractical. Unless you're willing to commit incredible resources and time to building out highways, which I was not as I was in it for the story (though I greatly enjoyed my time with the gameplay and will be double-dipping when it hits Steam).

How do you get a new bike? Mine blew up. :(
Fabricate one at one of the bases or check the garage to see if there are any bikes shared by online players.

Last edited:

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Wasn't expecting this when I set off on my travels!

It isn't a story spoiler but I'll put it in tags because some will want to see it for themselves without knowing.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I have a weird view on the traversal as I actually dislike how simplified R2+L2 makes everything. I have some really silly ass videos of me with a giant tower of cases on my back going down very steep, rocky hills in such a way that should absolutely screw me, but if you hold the buttons down you are essentially never going to have an issue and there's not really a detriment to always holding it.

For all the systems at work it actually bugs me a lot, the risk/reward isn't there as much as I feel it should be. But I don't know how common a view that's gonna be as I am essentially asking for the game to be significantly harder in a way others might find dull or annoying.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
That's the thing though, the game has a lot of other components other than just purely the traversal mechanics. It's much more of a traditional video game than people, both in being criticism and praise, are giving it credit as.

I can forgive the combat being bad. What bothers me is the stealth mechanics being trash. In a game that focuses so heavily on not killing, the stealth component should be way better than it is.
Yea you're not wrong, but I'll give you an example: Elder Scrolls games have a lot more to them than just the traversal. But the traversal (and combat mechanics) ensured that I played no more than 5 hours of Oblivion. That was enough time for me to see that though it was technically a great game, it was not a game for me.

I trust that people can tell when a game really isn't going to be for them (or if they determine it isn't early on).

Not an option yet. I don't even see a garage...
Then enjoy your peaceful walk :)

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
One little detail I noticed that always scares the shit out of me is when I can't stop my bike going down a hill with a really heavy load. If I get going too fast, breaking doesn't matter at all. I always forget I can just jump off of it and it'll stop, but there's a certain speed where your character will dive out of the vehicle instead of just stopping and getting off.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Start of Episode 5:
uhh, Mama was kept hydrated by timefall? That's... shouldn't she have the face of an 90 year old?
There was a mail or interview or something pretty early on that mentioned timefall turns to normal water after its initial hit down, so I assume...
...the water she was able to drink was the drips falling through the rubble.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't get the criticism on the combat.

You are not supposed to be doing combat in the game. Your are a porter, not a fighter. And i find the few combat you can do to be pretty good, who doesn't love to blow up monsters and lasso the bad and the ugly?

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
I think my problem with a number of reviews is that they focused on the wrong things to criticize. There are absolutely tons of issues with the game such as the lackluster combat, poor stealth mechanics, in-game cutscenes, and etcetera but there was too much of a focus on the traversal mechanics and pacing.

I really hate how Kojima/Sony put the Chapter 3 restriction on the reviews as there's a lot to talk and analyze past that and reviewers focused too much on the earlier stuff as a result.
Honestly, I think that's because a lot of reviewers that heavily criticized the game have not completed it.

I love the game, but I'm at Chapter 5 and right now I'm feeling my enjoyment decrease a little since the game is so damn long, and I still have a lot ahead of me. Sometimes I have to backtrack a and I go "ugh, ok"

I cant imagine a person not enjoying the gameplay loop being able to finish it for a review

I bet that since they could only talk about the game up to Chapter 3, they have only played the game until that point. Because they could have criticized future chapters despite not being able to show them to the public.

ZeroNr

Oct 20, 2019

You are not supposed to be doing combat in the game. Your are a porter, not a fighter. And i find the few combat you can do to be pretty good, who doesn't love to blow up monsters and lasso the bad and the ugly?
Yeah i kinda like the combat. Didnt find the stealh bad also. My first MULE camp i went stealth and got away like a ninja. In camps that there are a lot of those fuckers obviosly is more difficult.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I think that's because a lot of reviewers that heavily criticized the game have not completed it.

I love the game, but I'm at Chapter 5 and right now I'm feeling my enjoyment decrease a little since the game is so damn long, and I still have a lot ahead of me. Sometimes I have to backtrack a and I go "ugh, ok"

I cant imagine a person not enjoying the gameplay loop being able to finish it for a review

I bet that since they could only talk about the game up to Chapter 3, they have only played the game until that point. Because they could have criticized future chapters despite not being able to show them to the public.

The embargo for this actually made it so they had to finish it to write a review. It's actually why Edge won't make one since they hate the game and stopped playing, lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah i kinda like the combat. Didnt find the stealh bad also. My first MULE camp i went stealth and got away like a ninja. In camps that there are a lot of those fuckers obviosly is more difficult.

I'm not far enough in the game to make an assessment in the stealth but I've enjoyed the Mule camps so far. They are just the right amount of challenge (more if you try to rush) but also can be cleared out pretty quickly with some planning. I hope it stays like that.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
The aim acceleration on ADS weapon combat sucks and makes fights that require it tedious. When aiming is difficult because of the implementation (rather than some intended in-game mechanic like fatigue or some such), it's not a good system. Building critical encounters on that foundation only serves to make it stand out as a problem even more. It's putting a spotlight on it. Pressing one button for melee combat is the bare minimum that could be done, regardless of Sam's profession.

That said, it's about how it feels, not how feature-rich it is. As long as I feel like i'm *in control* it's all good. I don't feel as *in control* as I would like to when I really need to (major encounters) and it creates unnecessary frustration. Thus, warranted criticism.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are there any POINTS OF NO RETURN in the game where I gotta complete certain side quests before reaching certain points in the story? Are they telegraphed in a way that makes it clear that I should wrap up other stuff first? I made it to Fragile's episode last night
with the new region/map
. I'm planning on focusing on the story for another chapter/episode or two to unlock more goodies, then go back and 5 star some early game people. Is this possible?

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Are there any POINTS OF NO RETURN in the game where I gotta complete certain side quests before reaching certain points in the story? Are they telegraphed in a way that makes it clear that I should wrap up other stuff first? I made it to Fragile's episode last night
with the new region/map
. I'm planning on focusing on the story for another chapter/episode or two to unlock more goodies, then go back and 5 star some early game people. Is this possible?

no you'll never be locked out of stuff / areas permanently

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Playing this game as a reviewer must have been almost like playing it offline. Not enough structures built to really appreciate what the game does and mainly focusing on how difficult it is getting from A to B without roads/ziplines/etc...

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
That trek to get to
Mountain Knot City
was quite long and because of the cargo, I had to plot my route well, but I actually enjoyed it. These are my favourite parts of the game, when you're just making your way from A to B and trying to plot a course...

The way down to get Mama was much worse... low on stamina, trying to circle around BTs, ended up in a real bad way trying to get to the safe house near the Weather Station.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
with the new region/map
there are times when you will be told that it will be some time before you can return to an area or that you cannot take certain things with you. They do let you know when they recommend you finish things up. That said, no, there is no point of no return.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
I love when people leave pee mushrooms at random hard to reach spots.

It's almost like the community is making their own easter eggs haha.

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
I'm about 20 hours in and still only in the middle of Episode 3. Damn I'm slow, but I am really taking my time to savor and enjoy it after being a bit frustrated at the beginning. I think I put too much stock in lost cargo at the beginning and doing that before you have any upgrades is not fun. If I could do it all over again I wouldn't have wasted so much time on early lost cargo, epecially other player's since you don't get progress toward the location's star level for them.

A few questions/observations:
- Wow, the likes really start coming when you contribute to roads. I'm getting thousands of Likes regularly now and am enjoying those oxytocin rushes :) Speaking of roads, if you contribute to a section that gets finished with the help of other people, if you exit and return to the game and happen to get placed on a different server where people didn't contribute as much to those sections will those sections go away? And how is upkeep on them, does the game let you know if they are degrading?
- I pretty much never get Delivery Speed bonuses. I thought it was just me at first but if you look at Bridge Links most peoples Speed levels are single digits even when they have 50+ in other areas. I feel like they should change the parameters around speed so you can get those every-10-levels bonuses easier. Speaking of that: what is the first one for Delivery Speed?
- Should I save custom hemetic grenades for bosses? Right now the plain ones take down normal BTs in one hit so I do just save these for stronger BTs/bosses?
- So it's not just weight that limits you, it's also how many pieces of cargo and/or their size? Is there anything that breaks this down? Sometimes, especially after getting the powered exoskeleton, it seems like I have a bunch of weight to spare but am cut off by another limit and I can't tell what it is.
- Love using other people's stuff! I'm trying to finish roads first so always check shared lockers before using resouces elsewhere like crafting. Was pumped to find a couple mint condition bikes once I got the shared garage. But on the other hand it makes things crazy easy once you connect at each location. My Bridge level is super high and - I assume because of that - other people's stuff is everywhere. I've only had to use like 2 of my own ladders or ropes so far. Got to the point where I'm putting stuff up next to other peoples stuff just to try and help people who might have access to mine but not theirs. The whole social aspect is something special. Pre-release I thought it would be gimmicky but it is anything but.
- Could use some QoL improvements in spots, though. The aforementioned size/qty restrictions, plus not being able to take out and apply specific quantities of materials for upgrading structures is a pain. Kind of hoped private storage would be Resident Evil-like and everything shows up everywhere, but design-wise I get it, it's all about making deliveries (or it's just padding and I'm giving it too much credit).

Overall very satisfied. Can't wait to get back and play some more.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Got my little floaty mover things! Stocked up as much as possible on materials and decided to connect the road from the elder to the distro. Attempting to ignore the farm mules my legs ran out of battery. I got jumped by probably 10 plus mules. I attempted to use my bola but there was too many items on and around me. I frantically attempted to build a generator, no dice. As I reached about 10% consciousness I dropped everything but my bola gun to the ground and went to town. Loaded up as much as a mule truck could carry and decided to make the best out of it and take even more materials.

about halfway between the farm and the distro, my truck suddenly glitched into the geometry -_- thanks kojima.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I have a weird view on the traversal as I actually dislike how simplified R2+L2 makes everything. I have some really silly ass videos of me with a giant tower of cases on my back going down very steep, rocky hills in such a way that should absolutely screw me, but if you hold the buttons down you are essentially never going to have an issue and there's not really a detriment to always holding it.

For all the systems at work it actually bugs me a lot, the risk/reward isn't there as much as I feel it should be. But I don't know how common a view that's gonna be as I am essentially asking for the game to be significantly harder in a way others might find dull or annoying.
I get what you mean the traversal feels a bit too easy at times.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Man, this game is incredible... To the point where I am starting to get angry at the "Walking Sim" / "Game sucks" comments.

They are just so wrong.
I'm glad it's not just me. The negative discourse around the game has been complete nonsense. To the point where it feels like I've been playing a different game than some of the more negative ones. Like... did they actually utilize any of the mechanics or tools they were encouraged to experiment with in the game. Yeah trekking over the mountain over and over again would be frustrating if you are a dumbass and insisted on hoofing it every time instead of building all of the cool infrastructure available to you.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
- I pretty much never get Delivery Speed bonuses. I thought it was just me at first but if you look at Bridge Links most peoples Speed levels are single digits even when they have 50+ in other areas. I feel like they should change the parameters around speed so you can get those every-10-levels bonuses easier. Speaking of that: what is the first one for Delivery Speed?
You only gain levels in this from doing timed quests.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

at first the traversal is what I loved, now I realize I can ignore the terrain almost completely and sprint full speed everywhere as long as when im about to fall over I pull back on the stick and hold the triggers lol

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
How the hell did I not realise vehicles had boost! I swear i tried once and it didn't work, so did not try again.

Thanks Bucca

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad it's not just me. The negative discourse around the game has been complete nonsense. To the point where it feels like I've been playing a different game than some of the more negative ones. Like... did they actually utilize any of the mechanics or tools they were encouraged to experiment with in the game. Yeah trekking over the mountain over and over again would be frustrating if you are a dumbass and insisted on hoofing it every time instead of building all of the cool infrastructure available to you.
I get the feeling reviewers were playing it, basically, offline.

They weren't getting that feeling of seeing someone had laid a rope or a ladder or someone had created a generator where it's sorely needed.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
They make a point to give you a mission that lets you test out the
zipline
shortly before you even go to the mountain.

Oct 25, 2017

I felt this way at first too but I actually came around to it. Personally I find the reward between speed and safety to be enough of a balancing tool. I almost never use L2+R2 except as a clutch mechanism to prevent tripping and prefer to use the momentum from tripping itself to speed up movement.

It might be nice to have as an option, the removal of L2+R2, but given how long journeys can be and how many other factors you have to account for in that journey, I really think the traversal works as is.