• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
There really isn't anything to *hate* about any episodes. Well, maybe except the long, exposition-driven episodes that come later.

Like, lots of people really enjoyed Metal Gear Solid 2 until they got to the last 20% of the game and had to sit through 40+ minutes of dialogue between characters. Later in this game, that can reach upwards of 1.75 hours.

I read many here that hated climbing and getting off the mountain. I didn't notice anything different as the rest of the game.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
do stars overlap much like the leveling tree? Like there is more than just 5 standard stars?

the 5 stars you raise as you deliver stuff? nah it caps out at 5 stars and doesn't "prestige" or anything like that

Lemmie tell you: I got towards a late chapter and was like, "okay I'm almost done." That was at like 8 or 9pm last night. Midnight hit and the game was still fucking going and I was desperately trying to fight falling asleep on the dialogue like I did towards the end of MGS4.

It's just too much, man. Kojima really has to find better ways to space that stuff out.

the worst part is that like...70% of that stuff isn't even that great. you could probably have edited amelie's monologues down to 1/3 and get the same point across.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I read many here that hated climbing and getting off the mountain. I didn't notice anything different as the rest of the game.
well, I think some people just make some things harder than they need to. It's not difficult in any way; the mountain stuff just takes more time because the character moves slower and mistakes can be more punishing. There are several easy techniques that make the mountain as a challenging part of the game a fairly trivial experience. Not to mention zip lines, which trivialize everything in the best way possible.

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017
That pregnant woman is Sam's wife Lucy, who caused a Voidout and subsequently died in it after a miscarriage. Like Deadman says, Sam was gonna name his unborn daughter Louise. Anyways, Sam blames their deaths on Bridget which is why he hates her and decides to become a Porter. A lone wanderer. This is an interesting back story but they should have set it up earlier tbh. All of this information is under interviews btw.
Why did Sam blame that on Bridget?

The soundtrack is amazing, I'd put it up there with RDR2 on how it is used and so on, the gold items are kinda pointless though as they are just cosmetic.
Unfortunately that is one of the few things I did not like about this game. There was no memorable ost imo. All of it felt like album covers by random artist and almost feels... modern...
I do like the main track by Ludvig but the rest is forgettable

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I made it to Edge Knot City
How are there 5 more episodes? Are some of them post-game?

Mar 29, 2018
The amount of scenes in that vid review where he's hauling ass over jagged rocks without utilising the triggers is proof enough of that. I know not everyone is gonna take a deep dive into understanding new gameplay, but a reviewer should really be trying to engage with the game design on a deeper level. Not only to judge a game professionally and fairly, but also as a service to the people who don't play as many games.

I know it's more nuanced than that, good breakdown. I was simplifying to get the point across.
👍🧗‍♂️

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
the 5 stars you raise as you deliver stuff? nah it caps out at 5 stars and doesn't "prestige" or anything like that

the worst part is that like...70% of that stuff isn't even that great. you could probably have edited amelie's monologues down to 1/3 and get the same point across.
LMAO amelie's beach reveal monologues are exactly where I started nodding off, fam.

Not only was there nothing to look at, but then you put that soothing water sound in the background too? x__x I was trying my damndest but I'm sure I missed a couple of things here and there.

How much viewers does the game have on twitch?
Currently? 117K.

ZeroNr

Oct 20, 2019
I am in the mountains now and gotta say, a lot of reviewers went in the game wanting to hate it. Like someone said before, they didnt even try to understand the gameplay mechanics. Those review videos with people falling all the time. Wtf is that?

Not one thing they said it was bad or boring actually is. Even the combat. Its serviceable, like BOTW, and at least responsive, unlike RDR 2.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Unfortunately that is one of the few things I did not like about this game. There was no memorable ost imo. All of it felt like album covers by random artist and almost feels... modern...

same...

i like maybe 3 songs from Low Roar, the rest is just there. at this point it gets my eyes rolling everytime a song plays, it is overused...not my music at all, a bit too whiny and forced melancholic

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How to levelup prepper that doesn't have any item or quest to deliver like that pizza guy?

Oct 25, 2017
I am in the mountains now and gotta say, a lot of reviewers went in the game wanting to hate it. Like someone said before, they didnt even try to understand the gameplay mechanics. Those review videos with people falling all the time. Wtf is that?

Not one thing they said it was bad or boring actually is. Even the combat. Its serviceable, like BOTW, and at least responsive, unlike RDR 2.

There's absolutely reviewers who understood the mechanics and did not like the game.

But it's pretty clear there's also folks who just suck at this game conflating a lack of skill for an assessment of mechanics.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is there another big open world region beyond the Central Region? I'm assuming that the Central Region is THE openworld, and if there is a Western Region in the game, it's probably going to be small and scripted like the Eastern Region.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
Probably going to get yelled at but Low Roar is not that good a band and the few pieces from the game's original soundtrack I've heard were far more to my tastes.

RDR's Mexico thing with José Gonzalez worked because it happened once, after the 6th time Kojima is making you listen to Low Roar on a hike he feels like the pushy friend that is convinced you'll like the band if you just hear the right song.

dear reader, I know, because I have been that pushy friend.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Death Stranding (2019, colorized)

6v9V2It.png

It's sad (and weird as shit) to see the game suddenly abandon the pretense of not being a game about killing 30 hours in. Headshotting dudes to sleep (of the permanent kind) with a Non-Lethal Assault Rifle(!) breaks the entire illusion and shows a remarkable lack of confidence in its design.
It's scary as hell when you're first handed a gun, but that feeling only lasts a minute because you're immediately forced to use them in another dimension and then, before you even get to consider using one back in the open world, you get access to guns you can mass produce and use without guilt or consequence.

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I'm in Chapter 2 currently. When do we get the Generator structure so I can power up that bike?

And at what point do I get those glorious stabilizers?

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I don't know about that. I'm sure some reviewers (and gamers) don't like slower-burning games with limited action and lots of travel.

Elite: Dangerous has the same "issue". Some people enjoy the experience of plotting a course and flying across the galaxy to some destination, doing a thing, and flying all the way back. It can take 15 minutes to go somewhere...or it could take several hours. Well, some people in the community would rather be able to fast-teleport to better maximize their gameplay time. After all, not everyone has several hours to game each week to burn time just trying to get to a place to do the thing that they wanted to do. Huge debates and factions broke out in the Elite: Dangerous community around it and I'm sure other communities have run into similar conflicts.

Point is, there are very real, measurable audiences who will be actively repelled by this game's moment to moment gameplay experience or the time required to do things. They simply enjoy faster, more engaging gameplay experiences and that's fine. There should be reviewers that actively reflect those people. But that should be kept in context, and as you said...footage of someone falling down a mountain should be kept in its proper context and honest so as to not distort what the experience really is. It IS a sometimes slow experience, and if you don't like the journey as crafted and its vistas, it won't be for you.

also: combat is generally shit if we're being honest about it. Generally 1-dimensional with questionable ADS mechanics.

Death Stranding (2019, colorized)

6v9V2It.png

It's sad (and weird as shit) to see the game suddenly abandon the pretense of not being a game about killing 30 hours in. Headshotting dudes to sleep (of the permanent kind) with a Non-Lethal Assault Rifle(!) breaks the entire illusion and shows a remarkable lack of confidence in its design.
It's scary as hell when you're first handed a gun, but that feeling only lasts a minute because you're immediately forced to use them in another dimension and then, before you even get to consider using one back in the open world, you get access to guns you can mass produce and use without guilt or consequence.
FWIW: in my 46 hours, I never shot a real bullet at any human. Mostly because the game put the fear of voidout into the player so much so that I couldn't think of a single reason that it would be worth doing. Bandits can be punched to sleep or bola'd into submission. So that's what I did, along with a few Strand takedowns.

LiftGammaGain

Oct 29, 2017
Asia-Europe

BOTW combat is actually pretty deep

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Probably going to get yelled at but Low Roar is not that good a band and the few pieces from the game's soundtrack I've heard were far more to my tastes.

RDR's Mexico thing with José Gonzalez worked because it happened once, after the 6th time Kojima is making you listen to Low Roar on a hike he feels like the pushy friend that is convinced you'll like the band if you just hear the right song.

dear reader, I know, because I have been that pushy friend.
It does get ridiculous when virtually every time an insert song kicks in, it's Low Roar again. Someone from their publishing/marketing team was a genius.

I feel like I've heard a full album, if not more, from them.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I've noticed this too, I think it might only show your name to other players.
But I also don`t get likes. With every new log-in, it`s like I`m in a different "match" or something. I check who built a certain road, the game says "user x". I close the game, go back, it says "user y". Close game, come back: "user z".

Maybe it`s random and this is the way the game prevents a few people from getting a lot of likes?

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
Start of Episode 5:
uhh, Mama was kept hydrated by timefall? That's... shouldn't she have the face of an 90 year old?

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
FWIW: in my 46 hours, I never shot a real bullet at any human. Mostly because the game put the fear of voidout into the player so much so that I couldn't think of a single reason that it would be worth doing. Bandits can be punched to sleep or bola'd into submission. So that's what I did, along with a few Strand takedowns.
Obviously. There's no reason to ever use them when you get the exact same guns with "non-lethal, winky face" written on them.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I think my problem with a number of reviews is that they focused on the wrong things to criticize. There are absolutely tons of issues with the game such as the lackluster combat, poor stealth mechanics, in-game cutscenes, and etcetera but there was too much of a focus on the traversal mechanics and pacing.

I really hate how Kojima/Sony put the Chapter 3 restriction on the reviews as there's a lot to talk and analyze past that and reviewers focused too much on the earlier stuff as a result.

Jyrii

Oct 27, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
I got into my first big fight. Needed to pick one item from MULE camp, single foe kinda noticed me but I was able to move out of sight. Then I tried to lasso them, but accidently used spray. All hell broke lose, I ran away but eventually chose to fight. There were probably 8-10 of them. I was able to counter-lasso them all.
While the combat felt easy, it also seems very bad. I think I am going to stick with stealth.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
vestan

You know, the more I think about the end and our discussion about it: (major spoilers)

Yea, I think I'm going to lean into that final image of Sam holding Lou, standing in the rain with the sun coming out was a reinforcement of the game's overall message that, "alone, we have no future". Them together, with Sam embracing his humanity over the course of the game by being willing to touch and care about others is the path that -- if all of us walk it together -- will lead to a brighter tomorrow. When you also couple it with the sheer imagery of Lou being a baby and how that inherently speaks to hope for the future... I think that's it.

edit: indeed even in the thread's title image. "Tomorrow is in your hands." Literally.

Last edited:

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Episode 6 finished, 33 hours in, and only 3.8% finished it too

I read impressions about Episode 6 which described it as horrible, I'm glad I found the good ways to reach the different goals with my bike and after connect them, I saw people installed ziplines, god bless them

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Obviously. There's no reason to ever use them when you get the exact same guns with "non-lethal, winky face" written on them.
I think I only used those once when I had to for...I think something for the Photographer? I ran out of bolas, so I had to use riot shotguns. But has anyone tried real guns? I'm curious to know if you get a big ol' "game over".

teague

Dec 17, 2018
Hey so
I'm at the nuke, just got asked to deliver it, wtf do I do. I'm about to talk to Fragile at the distro center, but is there a way to not deliver it? No spoilers pls just advice.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I think my problem with a number of reviews is that they focused on the wrong things to criticize. There are absolutely tons of issues with the game such as the lackluster combat, poor stealth mechanics, in-game cutscenes, and etcetera but there was too much of a focus on the traversal mechanics and pacing.

I really hate how Kojima/Sony put the Chapter 3 restriction on the reviews as there's a lot to talk and analyze past that and reviewers focused too much on the earlier stuff as a result.
To be fair, the traversal mechanics are the beginning and end for a lot of players. If they are inoffensive to you, then this game and others that focus as much on the journey as the destination will also be for you. But some people just can't be bothered with the journey and don't find it enjoyable. Their opinions are fair too. They just won't have any influence on your opinion. :)

I got into my first big fight. Needed to pick one item from MULE camp, single foe kinda noticed me but I was able to move out of sight. Then I tried to lasso them, but accidently used spray. All hell broke lose, I ran away but eventually chose to fight. There were probably 8-10 of them. I was able to counter-lasso them all.
While the combat felt easy, it also seems very bad. I think I am going to stick with stealth.
Yes, combat is pretty bad in general. But it gets pretty fun against the BT's later. Very satisfying, tbqh. You go from feeling like the prey to feeling like the predator.

>:-D