• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
As I thought, people are starting to troll by leaving vehicles in the middle of the road. I hope they patch this out.

No, but in a game THIS packed with features it's not really something we can moan about, imo.

Hopefully they add one later.
Some people always trying to ruin a good thing

Mar 29, 2018
And those outlets should know better.
I don't disagree. I'm just telling you why people are bothered by it or worrying about it.

I do think it's worth noting that playing a game in the context of having writing a review to a deadline is drastically different to playing it at your leisure. Many games just don't work under that pressure. I think Death Stranding is one of them.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Is it just me or is it easier to get caught and fight BTs than sneaking past them?
I learned this this morning, heading to the Wind Farm for the 2nd time, after raging that I got caught with a shitton of heavy packages on my back and moving at a snails pace. I was PISSED, but then I killed the BT in about 30 seconds and went on about my business...

It is but I keep hearing rumblings from other players that killing (?) them causes them to spawn in greater numbers.

Edit: Aw sheit. Luckily I've only had to kill 2 so far in about 30+ hours.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
I am very annoyed by videos coming out to this day about Death Stranding where it's so obvious people don't test the balance mechanic properly. Just gonna put this here in hopes it reaches someone who might have trouble with it.

Hold both triggers all the time on uneven terrain and when making turns, especially if you have a heavy load on your back. This balance/momentum mechanic is not in here to make you stumble on every tiny incline or rock you encounter, if you hold the triggers you're mostly fine until you walk on very steep slopes or cross deeper rivers (longer stretches of terrain that are yellow when you scan). When you balance yourself with both triggers in those cases the game will drain your exhaustion meter (the light blue overlay on top of the dark blue stamina bar) until Sam can't balance himself anymore. And if you thus plan badly and find yourself in a dangerous spot with not enough stamina to balance yourself all the way through you'll take a tumble, that's the whole reason the mechanic is there. It's not acting as a constant annoyance when you play it as intended, but a punishment mechanic for bad stamina and exhaustion management.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
I'm connecting waystations to the Chiral network and it keeps showing me my progress on a map of America. Is it just me, or do those connection nodes across the map make America seems really, really, tiny? You can walk across half of America in like 30 minutes.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't disagree. I'm just telling you why people are bothered by it or worrying about it.

I do think it's worth noting that playing a game in the context of having writing a review to a deadline is drastically different to playing it at your leisure. Many games just don't work under that pressure. I think Death Stranding is one of them.
Of course, everyone spreading the "walking sim" nonsense is help perpetuate that.

Yeh, DS is really not suited to a short review window/deadline.

I am very annoyed by videos coming out to this day about Death Stranding where it's so obvious people don't test the balance mechanic properly. Just gonna put this here in hopes it reaches someone who might have trouble with it.

Hold both triggers all the time on uneven terrain and when making turns, especially if you have a heavy load on your back. This balance/momentum mechanic is not in here to make you stumble on every tiny incline or rock you encounter, if you hold the triggers you're mostly fine until you walk on very steep slopes or cross deeper rivers (longer stretches of terrain that are yellow when you scan). When you balance yourself with both triggers in those cases the game will drain your exhaustion meter (the light blue overlay on top of the dark blue stamina bar) until Sam can't balance himself anymore. And if you thus plan badly and find yourself in a dangerous spot with not enough stamina to balance yourself all the way through you'll take a tumble, that's the whole reason the mechanic is there. It's not acting as a constant annoyance when you play it as intended, but a punishment mechanic for bad stamina and exhaustion management.
I've had 6 tumbles in my 36 hours of playtime. You're absolutely right.

I don't get this. Do you go completely around them or what? Even on a trike I always get too close and one catches me, or the environment blocks me as I'm about to get past
All you do is tap the accelerator so you move forward slowly, and you'll have enough time to dodge when they appear.

When they appear, do a short burst away from them to cancel the footsteps, and carry on.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Only played for about an hour yesterday but took my first excursion out into the Central region. Was able to get to the Engineer and then the Elder, loving the little story details that are being teased out so far. And climbing the mountain to get to the Elder felt like a big achievement (and a great view!). The Power Skeleton is already super helpful and I feel like everything is a lot easier now.

I did run into some MULE problems (I thought I could climb up the mountain on the far left when you're leaving Lake Knot, only to find out it's basically a dead end) but luckily my strategy of running like a bitch saved me.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Yea, those are just as bad... I made a post on vg247 today about how I am done with the site because they have posted multiple articles shitting on Death Stranding. Saying "Its a very shallow game with no depth" and "It's the Donnie Darko of video games". Really immature from a supposedly professional gaming news site.

Smh. Death Stranding gives me big BOTW vibes since it being an open world game is intrinsic to the gameplay. There's so many wrinkles (skating on lifts????) and the mechanics of just walking around are Dee and engaging.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Episode 6 question

Just went from the Alpinist to the Doctor and back just to find out I don't have the cargo. The thing is I took the order and got stuff to fulfill my order.
WTF?

Last edited:

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Just went from the Alpinist to the Doctor and back just to find out I don't have the cargo. The thing is I took the order and got stuff to fulfill my order.
WTF?
Please tag the spoiler to let people know what it covers, or no one's going to click it unless they're done with the game.

wiggler

Oct 27, 2017
I'm connecting waystations to the Chiral network and it keeps showing me my progress on a map of America. Is it just me, or do those connection nodes across the map make America seems really, really, tiny? You can walk across half of America in like 30 minutes.
You can look forward to Death Stranding 2 where it takes 1000 Hours to only complete the main mission.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The scale is videogame scale. I'm pretty sure Sam is supposed to be traversing much more gound than it appears.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me, or do some of the BB cutscenes repeat? It might be that they're random and an issue with reloading saves or something, but I've seen a couple of them a few times now.
The irony of IGN review is that they didnt like the game but then posted like 30 videos of the game in the past 3 days.
They need to cover the most popular games tbf, and more than the person who reviewed it will be working on those.

Mar 29, 2018
The irony of IGN review is that they didnt like the game but then posted like 30 videos of the game in the past 3 days.
The assigned writer didn't like it and the editorial team thought the review was good enough to publish.

Chances are many on their team-at-large like it a lot. And they know there's a huge audience for it.

Of course, everyone spreading the "walking sim" nonsense is help perpetuate that.

Yeh, DS is really not suited to a short review window/deadline.

I've had 6 tumbles in my 36 hours of playtime. You're absolutely right.

All you do is tap the accelerator so you move forward slowly, and you'll have enough time to dodge when they appear.

When they appear, do a short burst away from them to cancel the footsteps, and carry on.
Interesting, thanks for the tip.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
You can look forward to Death Stranding 2 where it takes 1000 Hours to only complete the main mission.

I mean, I took a boat to cover more ground. They could use a cutscene or a map montage between areas to make the country feel larger. Anyways, it's not bad, it's just kinda hilarious somehow. Maybe timefall shrunk the country in addition to changing the geography.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Yea, those are just as bad... I made a post on vg247 today about how I am done with the site because they have posted multiple articles shitting on Death Stranding. Saying "Its a very shallow game with no depth" and "It's the Donnie Darko of video games". Really immature from a supposedly professional gaming news site.

I guess my main concern about it all is the effect it will have on Kojima Productions, especially after his "We will also make movies" comment. Hopefully he doesn't just drop out of games completely now.
Just have to wait for sales...I hope it does well and he makes a sequel for it personally. Death Stranding 2 concept can be ropes and strings! Have people who want to be carriers and folks who just want to fight.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Yep I pointed this out some pages ago. Makes no darn sense! I think Kojima should have focused the story somewhere smaller like an island. If he really wanted this to be set in America, then should have padded the game with quick cutscene of how Sam already trekked the past 500 miles, and now the game is going to focus on the remaining 50 every time you take an order. The distances make zero sense and is immersion-breaking as far as I'm personally concerned.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
I have an issue in the beginning of chapter 3. I'll put it in spoiler tags. If anyone has a tip for this, I'd be really thankful. I must have missed some explanation or mechanic or system, but I can't figure it out.

I get three deliveries at the same time here, for three places south and south west of Lake Knot City. Shortly south of Lake Knot City, there is MULE territory. These MULEs scan me anc come running towards me (half a dozen of them) as soon as I come anywhere near. I can'z hide, I can't seem to go around. They knock me out, and all my cargo is gone. When I try to reover it, the same thing happens again, and I have no chance of running away. In the previous chapter, I was able to sneak up on them and tie them up. That doesn't seem to work here at all. Any ideas what to do here?

I was able to just run alongside the left side of the zone and basically just dodge them. just make sure to not stop and keep running

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How long does it take for a body to go necro?

I killed a Mule and placed the body inside his own camp. I'm thinking it would cause a voidout there and take out the camp, but it doesn't really seem to be doing anything.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
Yep I pointed this out some pages ago. Makes no darn sense! I think Kojima should have focused the story somewhere smaller like an island. If he really wanted this to be set in America, then should have padded the game with quick cutscene of how Sam already trekked the past 500 miles, and now the game is going to focus on the remaining 50. The distances make zero sense and is immersion-breaking as far as I'm personally concerned.

Chiralium is the new Nanomachines

They have some sort of effect on time, so Kojima could be using that as a macguffin lol

Aug 15, 2019
I was able to just run alongside the left side of the zone and basically just dodge them. just make sure to not stop and keep running

I will try this 2nite, man I took like 3 or 4 shots at this one yesterday and then said EFF this LOL turned the game off....but I shall not give up thats for sure, this game is amazing. It is a true gem, a special game!

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Not for me, no.

It's story is really as convoluted as any other Kojima project. That is to say, it's a lot of extremely long cut-scenes and exposition about nonsense that you'll fight to keep from nodding off on after awhile. If a critic's issue with the game is the story not having some twists and turns, yes it could change their opinion one way or another. But if you don't enjoy the minute to minute gameplay experience, nothing story-related will redeem your time spent.

For me, I mostly enjoyed the story. The major beats are good, I thought. The minutia often gets lost in the weeds trying to lather you up for a premise that is mostly nonsense. I enjoyed everything about the gameplay *except* the vehicles (awful experience overall) and the 3rd person shooter mechanics (camera control just not refined enough).

One of the later chapters was almost 2-hours worth of exposition and cut-scenes with no meaningful gameplay at all. Kojima needs to learn how to break this shit up sometimes. He's been doing this since MGS2? Certainly since MGS4. It's just too much for a sitting without giving a player some sort of warning it's about to happen.

But no, IMO the ending won't turn a game someone likes into one they dislike...or turn a game someone dislikes into one they suddenly love. I was expecting to not like this game. Ended up liking it quite a bit.
Neat, thanks for the lengthy explanation.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
I will try this 2nite, man I took like 3 or 4 shots at this one yesterday and then said EFF this LOL turned the game off....but I shall not give up thats for sure, this game is amazing. It is a true gem, a special game!

Yeah usually my strategy for getting through the camps (because i dont usually like fighting them especially when i have precious cargo)

1. Hold down R2/L2 and sprint like a mother fucker, dodging spears
2. If someone runs at me I'll just juke, if there's more than one i might punch and run, you basically just cheese the combat
3. The smoke decoy is pretty useful but it took me a few tries to figure out how to use it effectively

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Chiralium is the new Nanomachines

They have some sort of effect on time, so Kojima could be using that as a macguffin lol
the bananamachines were not immersion-breaking though. This stuff kinda is. You know for a fact that the geography between DC (capital Knot city) and somewhere in middle of Pennsylvania (your first or second Knot city delivery point) is not picturesque scenery and icelandic mountains.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, I finally did it! Finally cleared chapter 4! 😭 🙏
Took me three god damn hours.....jfc.
I hate shooters so much, I'm such trash at them and they make me so friggin' tense. God, I've got the shakes now jfkld;a
I am so ready to go back to several hours of just mindlessly delivering shit now, lol.

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
Haven't gotten the game but am kind of interested in it now, but how do the player created structures work exactly? Like if I get the game in a couple months will the world just be full of stuff people have already built and make the game super easy?
Kind of. You can't see other structures until a region is added to the network (this is your primary objective in the game). Once a region is added to the network, you'll start to see other player's stuff. I think the stronger you work on each region doing sidequests and whatnot might increase the amount of stuff you will see. You also level up as far as online status goes so maybe the game scales you with other people your level so that its not overwhelmingly populated at the start

Aug 15, 2019
Yeah usually my strategy for getting through the camps (because i dont usually like fighting them especially when i have precious cargo)

1. Hold down R2/L2 and sprint like a mother fucker, dodging spears
2. If someone runs at me I'll just juke, if there's more than one i might punch and run, you basically just cheese the combat
3. The smoke decoy is pretty useful but it took me a few tries to figure out how to use it effectively

Thanks for this, will def do this lol I literally hold L2/R2 religiously from jump...between that and the skeleton, it makes the game much easier to traverse! :)

Oct 25, 2017
Well, the review is one person and IGN is more than one person. I'm betting others there like or will like the game.
Also the fact that places like IGN chase eyeballs for ad revenue and if a game is getting a lot of hits, they'll do what they can to cover it more. It's why things like Destiny got a ton of coverage, despite most outlets giving the game bad marks.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
When I get caught by the BTs, I find it easier to just run outside of the circle to make them go away again.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil

It's like people didn't even bother to understand the mechanics. The IGN Review is pretty bad, I have 20 hours and I fell off like, 2 or 3 times. I had to calm BB only 1 time.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Highway fully finished! Now to finish bringing everyone up to 5*

Haven't gotten the game but am kind of interested in it now, but how do the player created structures work exactly? Like if I get the game in a couple months will the world just be full of stuff people have already built and make the game super easy?
The way it handles this seems to be quite smart. You have up to 100 people affecting your instance, and there seems to be a limit on how many things can appear from other people in each section.

When you first enter the map you need to bring sections of it online, and until you do other player's items will not be visible. So you will have periods where you need to traverse new terrain with only your own equipment.

When you do bring the area online, there always seems to be enough room for you to meaningfully contribute.

And you can also remove other builds from your instance if you want, to replace it or just get rid of them.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
The assigned writer didn't like it and the editorial team thought the review was good enough to publish.

Chances are many on their team-at-large like it a lot. And they know there's a huge audience for it.

Interesting, thanks for the tip.
This still rubs me the wrong way and I get its an endless debate, but I just have little respect for "I don't like this thing" style reviews. IGN's main jab at Death Stranding is basically "the walking is slow, boring, hard and arduous". Just reading this thread, I can safely assume everyone here has had very little trouble with coming to grips even with the beginning portions of the game. I saw so many posts questioning who in the world was having trouble playing this game, it's super easy to adjust to after like 30 minutes of playing. Are the graphics above average?, are the controls good? Is the sound and music good? Is the story good? I just could never give fundamentally sound games low scores if I'm writing for a professional site. In my blog I would be as personally inclined as I wanted, but thinking about how others would receive something, I dunno, I guess I"m just more hesitant to put my own personal opinion so far in my criticism of something. Walking is the point of this game, if you don't like that, why in the world did you review it? A legitimate criticism that seems universal is the back tracking, but the IGN review just consistently diminishes the entire point of the game as not being fun. I wouldn't review something I didn't find fun. Because it is to a lot of different people with different taste.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Also the fact that places like IGN chase eyeballs for ad revenue and if a game is getting a lot of hits, they'll do what they can to cover it more. It's why things like Destiny got a ton of coverage, despite most outlets giving the game bad marks.

Yeah, regardless of how they feel about it, its still a major gaming event and high profile release. They are going to cover it.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
in what film does Mads play a gay man :)
It's called En Kort En Lang (Shake It All About), from 2001. It's about him entering an engagement with his partner but things start to go wrong when he drunkenly enters an affair with a woman at a birthday party, and then has to figure out what he wants for himself and his boyfriend.

MV5BMTA2ODU5Nzk4MDBeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU3MDU4MjU2NTM@._V1_.jpg

And before you ask, Hella Joof is a real name, it just sounds funky when you consider the usage of "hella". Also, notice this: "Strand Releasing"! Could Kojima have based the namesake of DS on this?

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think it uses Arkham Knight logic where no matter what you do to MULEs they're actually only knocked out.
Nah, a bit later on in the game you get straight up guns with bullets that can kill people. And the game talks to you that you really should avoid doing that.