• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
All these people rushing to the ending, and I'm over here just completing my massive zipline network in the mountains.

So many systems, so little time.
That network had been my favourite part of the game so far.

so fun putting one down, then looking around to spot the best connecting point, then hiking there and creating it.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
I really need to play Bloodborne and RE4.

I'll add it to the backlog after this one. Gotta love RE4 is on Game Pass for XBOX though

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
but does your cargo have to be below the grass line, or is it just your body? i feel like i'm always hauling too much stuff for it to be useful

I usually build my own or use someone elses postbox before I do. That way you can temporarily store your stuff. But you don't even have to. As long as your cargo is sort of below the grass line, you're fine. Just put your tall side ladder to your leg, and put the big or tall stuff down temporarily if you need to.

Deleted member 26293

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm shocked at the amount of likes you start to get after having built a road, i think i got around 40k likes in a couple of hours.

I was afraid MULEs would turn out to be a major annoyance, but now that i've figured out how to approach them -Royalguard them to oblivion- pillaging MULE camps has turned into a fun activity. Last time i cleared one, when i knocked out the last MULE left BB gave me a like and started laughing at them. Bless him.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just realised I'm nearly 40 hours in. I'm loving it but wow it doesn't feel like it's been that long.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone watched the Timefall doc yet. Is it any good ?
I was afraid MULEs would turn out to be a major annoyance, but now that i've figured out how to approach them -Royalguard them to oblivion- pillaging MULE camps has turned into a fun activity. Last time i cleared one, when i knocked out the last MULE left BB gave me a like and started laughing at them. Bless him.
It's always an embarrassment of riches when you clean out a camp. Such a pain in the arse to get all the crap out of there. 🤣

A lot of times i just leave some of behind.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played 22 hours over the weekend and i want to go home and play again... I can definitely see why some people wouldn't like this game but i adore it.

And the BB animation in the hot spring is one of the most adorable things i've ever seen in a videogame.

It's great... if you're not carrying a package that sticks out the top and makes you easy to spot.

I love that they can spot you when you stack your cargo to high...

Something different but still funny happended when i stacked my cargo way to high at the start of a mission. I turned around, walked through the door and the top of my pile tumbled down to the ground... Because of course it would. That what would happen in reality.

I laughed because of the detail and my own stupidity.

I am getting nowhere near that amount and I've done a ton of roads.

I got over 40.000 likes yesterday for my highway. But it feels like almost nobody else is helping out...

Deleted member 36563

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 20, 2017
I usually give up with a lot of open world games, I have no patience for them.

This however, I thought i'd give it a try and Ive put over 25 hours into it and I am only at chapter 3. Havent had a game grip me as much as this in a long time.

Those roads are not going to rebuild themselves..

astro

Oct 25, 2017
How much are you liking other stuff? Have you been pressing single likes, or spamming a bunch on each item?

I think you generate more likes when you like more things somehow... also using strand contracts, etc...

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
How much are you liking other stuff? Have you been pressing single likes, or spamming a bunch on each item?

I think you generate more likes when you like more things somehow... also using strand contracts, etc...
I admittedly haven't really been spamming likes, just doing one or so as it's hard to do at times when you're travelling.

I have been using strand contracts and whatnot though.

first road I did I got tons of likes. After that I made like 6 more and nothing, only the message that someone used it but no likes. Such bs
Yea, I'm somewhat in the same boat. The 'like' algorithm or whatever seems a bit screwy.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Damnit this gaming is taking over my life like BotW did when it launched. Can't stop thinking about it. Work week has started and i'm actually considering calling in sick just to play this game (something i won't do ofcoure, but that thought hasn't crossed my mind in years). I feel like this game was made with a vision and executes on that perfectly. All systems in the game make for a cohesive whole you don't see much in open world games. This is how an open world game should be in my opinion. The open world should function as a gameplay element. BotW did this right and now Death Stranding follows suit. I love it.

I completely understand though why people do not like this game. It's not for everyone. I love micro managing my routes, optimizing cargo/tools for the job ahead, step by step building / planting ladders and such to make return trips easier. Seeing the world evolve is very satisfying. I consider large parts of the game a puzzle game where you have to look at all parameters and find the best option. Overcoming obstacles after taking the time to analyze / prepare for the trip scratches an itch and works very addictive.

For people who want a more 'actiony' type game or do not like micromanaging anything at all this game will suck. As simple as that. I would put this game in a corner with games like Stardew Valley / Harvest Moon combined with something like Truck Simulator. That feeling of 'one more delivery' is very addictive. This is in no way an action / stealth game though. I consider those segments just another environmental hazard to consider when planning out routes. Combat against BTs is very lacklustre indeed, but you're not meant to fight them. Theyre function is to force you to find new routes, making sure you find Timefall shelters to manage your cargo's damage and making sure you optimise your BB stress/stamina/cargo levels.

I was watching the Giant Bomb quick look and the reviewers was actively throwing grenades on every BT he found. Ofcourse after 50 hours that will become a complaint because you're just doing the same thing over and over again. He's considering those segments 'combat against BTs', while i (in my 30 hours of playtime) have maybe "killed" three BTs. Every 'combat' section against BTs have been unique so far for me because theyre in new parts of the map with different routes to explore. If i would just go around killing everything then every one of those segments would be the same and would become very boring indeed.

I feel like it's about the mindset. Many people/reviewers will go into this game thinking Metal Gear Solid, and they will be terribly dissapointed. This is not that type of game at all. It's a semi-puzzlelike / management sim and it feels weird to me it's getting axed by certain media for elements that are such a small part of the game and are even meant to be avoided as a gameplay element. Like i said: i completely understand why people don't like this game, i just don't understand why people are so vocal about screaming that it sucks. It's not for you, so what? Play something else. The game is not bad because it's not for you.

Oct 27, 2017
When you disable a MULE with the bola gun, how long do they stay incapacitated? It would be super annoying if they got up within a few minutes.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Still playing and yeah, this game requires an open mind just like BOTW

I think the people who disliked it would have had to just locked their thinking process in to wanting the game to be something that it's not.

That's the only way I could rationalize the exaggerated negative reviews this game got.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
The only thing that annoys me so far is coming across BT's and your Odradek doing that unskippable animation, every. fucking. time.
Especially annoying when you are trying to skirt the area.

Other than that I seriously have no complaints yet, this game is so amazing :o

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Still playing and yeah, this game requires an open mind just like BOTW

I think the people who disliked it would have had to just locked their thinking process in to wanting the game to be something that it's not.

That's the only way I could rationalize the exaggerated negative reviews this game got.

I dunno man, it's perfectly OK to find the game boring without having a "closed mind." I love it but I totally understand why a lot of my friends would dislike it, and that's totally fine.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
When you disable a MULE with the bola gun, how long do they stay incapacitated? It would be super annoying if they got up within a few minutes.
30-40 seconds if the initial Bola Gun attack didn't knock them out cold. Some MULEs won't instantly be knocked out with the Bola Gun which means you gotta get up close and kick them while they're down to keep them unconscious.

Once they're unconscious though, they'll stay down until MULE presence takes over the area again (assuming you cleared the nearby camp).

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm absolutely hooked. There's so many cool, weird, wonderful and creative things about this game, and so many elements that genuinely feel fresh, unique and rewarding.

The asynchronous multiplayer stuff in particular. At times you're essentially constantly assisting, communicating with and guiding people, even without having ever met them.

My only negative with the MP is that often there's so much community stuff you don't always get to do your own to get those likes, and I'm sure as hell not going to destroy or take down other people's structures because that would just be rude.

On a random point, at one point I was over encumbered and slow as molasses. Weirdly I decided to just super slow walk an entire 10 minutes or so just to deliver these heavy ass random items.

Ordinarily I'd never do something like this, I don't even know why I did, because I could have just dropped the heaviest item and come back for it quicker later, or simply done other deliveries for more likes. But I was drawn to push through, and it was satisfying nonetheless lol. I really felt Sam's struggle and pain throughout the entire thing, and had to keep letting him rest, massage, drink every few minutes etc too, to save him from exhaustion.

Bizarre that I'd even bother, but something about the stunning vistas, music, Sam's commentary, animations, everything I'd been through up to that point etc, just spurred me on. Resting and showering in the private room afterwards felt almost euphoric lol.

Last edited:

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
About to finish this up. As an MGS fan I've really been enjoying the latter part of the story/cutscenes and bosses.

5olid_5nake

Oct 30, 2017
So, without spoiling stuff please, did the ending satisfy your expectations? I have been reading some conflicting reports :D

astro

Oct 25, 2017
When you finish run of deliveries and realize you forgot to make one of them premium...

Oh well, start again! lol

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
Is it just me or is it easier to traverse terrain without falling over while holding L1 for the first person navigation thing?

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I tried asking this before but probably buried it under too much text..

I think I lost my trike. About to start chapter 3.. is it worth reloading?

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
Mountain: conquered. That was so much fucking fun.

Holy shit it was a close call though, after going all the way around to stop off at all the way stations I decided to just climb over it on the way back.

All my containers went to shit in the snow, a BT I thought I'd got past scared the shit out of me and grabbed me, causing me to panic, luckily I'd packed some grenades to fend it off.

I made it to a newly discovered robotocist by the skin of my teeth, no stamina and a bunch of now useless cargo. I felt so relieved she wanted the network 😄

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I heard a minute, unless you kick them. I didn't time it though.
30-40 seconds if the initial Bola Gun attack didn't knock them out cold. Some MULEs won't instantly be knocked out with the Bola Gun which means you gotta get up close and kick them while they're down to keep them unconscious.

Once they're unconscious though, they'll stay down until MULE presence takes over the area again (assuming you cleared the nearby camp).
Bolo headshots. Insta knockout, every. single. time. 😆
I die last nigh in the mountain, something really fucking cool happen.
Did you make a voidout ?

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I think it's listed as a standard order, not an order from Sam. I'm still in Chapter 3 so maybe you go back later or something, but otherwise not sure about it. Sorry I can't help more!
That was it, I must have been tired last night I remember the standard orders just being normal locations but nope they were Musician specific. Thanks again!

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
When you finish run of deliveries and realize you forgot to make one of them premium...

Oh well, start again! lol
I just learned about premiums deliveries today. And I think a lot here don't know about them yet.

When choosing standard deliveries you can select to make the premium, right?
What does it change?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I just learned about premiums deliveries today. And I think a lot here don't know about them yet.

When choosing standard deliveries you can select to make the premium, right?
What does it change?
How much you rank up. If you play on Normal you get A Legend badge, if you play on Hard you get a Legend of Legends badge for your Bridge Link profile each time you complete one. I'm on x20 atm as I've been taking premium every time there's a chance.

Premium is harder, more to carry, less time, etc...

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Don't be mad. It's just luck. Like I said earlier I saw ONE bridge with over 150.000 likes. It really depends on how many people actively like your stuff. Using your stuff only gives you 1 like. But higher level players can give several hundred likes with one action.

Afer 45 hours of playing and rebuilding most of the roads and building a pretty massive zipline network I am "only" at 50.000 likes for all my stuff from other players. But thats not important. The feeling of helping others out and being helped by their buildings is the true reward. Fantastic asynchronous coop gameplay.

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I wish you could turn off all no-helpful signs. Like the raised fist, and BB one. sometimes the spam around an outpost can be a little annoying.

This so much. I don't mind the structures of other people, it fits the theme but sometimes there are so many signs and whatever you start to think this is a highly frequented hiking trek.