• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Does the game ever become a full-out action-fest? I'm on Chapter 6 and loving how little combat there is, but I'm worried at some point it's just gonna turn into a shoot-a-thon, especially for the final few hours.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I can't believe I'm rushing home to play this shit, hope I don't get a ticket. I am genuinely enjoying the gameplay, like actually having fun.

Bear in mind I was one of those people who made fun of the game in the review thread and I was one of those people who gave the IGN review a like lol.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
[
Does the game ever become a full-out action-fest? I'm on Chapter 6 and loving how little combat there is, but I'm worried at some point it's just gonna turn into a shoot-a-thon, especially for the final few hours.

Its weird to think we're all sitting here with this Hideo Kojima game hoping it remains a delivery game and doesnt turn into an action one 😅

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Brought the game over to a friend of mine this weekend. Initially he didn't think the game was for him. I then let him play the opening hours up until right after the incinerator. He's now going to pick it up first thing right after Pokemon.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
Everything about the gameplay should be boring, but it isn't.

really enjoying it so far, the gameplay loop is addictive and the story and atmosphere are extremely intriguing

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There are memory chips out there with fabrication blueprints? Oh fuck me. Just found one for the bike.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Everything about the gameplay should be boring, but it isn't.

really enjoying it so far, the gameplay loop is addictive and the story and atmosphere are extremely intriguing
Yep. I'm loving my time just running an driving around between delivery points. I think it's because it just feels great to move around in this game. Also the world is constantly changing.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I really hate not being able to access the menu to reload while certain context sensitive things are happening.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
All these people rushing to the ending, and I'm over here just completing my massive zipline network in the mountains.

So many systems, so little time.

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
Well, I made a leap of faith and bought the game. I was a massive Kojima fan in my teens, and the story/setting concept behind the game really appeals to me, but the fact that this is a game built around fetch quests made me pause and almost pass on it. But I'm too intrigued by the narrative to not give it a chance, so here I am in the middle of chapter 1.

Can't say anything yet beyond the game having a killer soundtrack and absolutely astonishing visuals. Hoping for the best.

Does anybody can tell me if sidequests in this game are finite or endless? Just to make sure I don't end up in a loop like I did with AC Odyssey with its timed quests at the begginning.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
I delivered all the story related goods to South Knot City after saving it from the bomb, but there are no new missions for Sam.

What should I do now?

idonteven

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yoo wait what the fuck
the people that left things behind for you are in the credits? thats fucking insane and awesome

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
God I love this game hahaha. Such a refreshing, different feeling game to the usual AAA pap. I really like the focus on gameplay above the usual shootbang shit and how the game uses traversal mechanics to keep you engaged.

Was a big fan of going though the first mule camp all stealthy like. Whilst carrying over a 100kg on my back hah.

I'm going though boots liken swiss cheese though, but glad I unlocked the schematic for the boots.

The BT areas are tense as fuck too.

Also I'm no builder heh, but I am a supplier. I'm filling up the share box with materials.

We will get those damn roads built.

I'm definitely going to post more thoughts in this thread. This is definitely my goty so far.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I am at the very beginning of chapter 1, how long will it take me to get to chapter 3?
If you beeline for it, a few hours. It depends how much you get side-tracked.

If this is because you've heard Episode 3 is where the game suddenly "gets fun", I'll say this:

It doesn't shift to the point that the gameplay becomes much different, but it does introduce a LOT more options and it does open things up in quite a big way.

Very slight mechcnial spoilers:
Carriers that hover behind you, trucks, even roads. More grenades, non-lethal guns... there's a lot of gear that gets introduced over time that allow for a vareity of ways to tackle deliveries and encounters. Also player contributions start becoming much more common.
The game definitely opens up more from Episode 3 onward, but it doesn't suddenly change the gameplay.

oldboss

Nov 9, 2017
I don't mind its length, it's just more addictive than anything. Just one more delivery, just a few more likes for good feels. The pure scale of the immersive world and its character driven story. After spending nearly 30 hours over the weekend on this game (and only got to chapter 5), going back to work today is just brutal. It's withdrawal.

For games like this I wish back my years as a student with way too much free time. :/

TOTALLY. Just spent 15 hrs on it saturday and sunday and was already experiencing withdrawal symptoms after only having stopped playing for 2hrs. Now I'm browsing this thread at work while constantly thinking about muh treks. Can't wait to get back to it.

I love the sense of accomplishment you get from building bridges and crossing them on your bike, allowing you to breeze though areas previously accessible only by wading through rivers and losing your footing constantly. Makes you feel like a pioneer.

Future_TraX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Basel, Switzerland
Aw man, i want to play this game so hard again!

My waifu and 2yo son left home from friday until sunday evening so i can play i peace.
It was like the good old days, playing and enjoying a game all the time. Now the everyday life hit me hard and i can't think on something else than this game >_>...
More so i have to work and write on my thesis.
Help me ERA :(

polyrizumu

May 15, 2018
I'm at Chapter 5 and all I'd like to say is fuck mandatory backtracking.

Getting all the way to Mountain Knot from South Knot only to manually head back to Mama because Lockne won't join the network

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still on Chapter 2 and if this is supposed to be the boring one, then I don't trust any reviewer ever again. Easily my GOTY so far.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
yeah, ancient egyptian concepts of body and soul are "peak Kojima nonsense"

sure...smh
lol

Have you seen the cutscene we're referring to?
I'm at Chapter 5 and all I'd like to say is fuck mandatory backtracking.

Getting all the way to Mountain Knot from South Knot only to manually head back to Mama because Lockne won't join the network
Chapter 6 is way worse. That chapter is going to break people.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
That's wierd when I got there there was only standing orders for other places. No orders for Sam. Maybe I'll check again, thanks for replying!

I think it's listed as a standard order, not an order from Sam. I'm still in Chapter 3 so maybe you go back later or something, but otherwise not sure about it. Sorry I can't help more!

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still on Chapter 2 and if this is supposed to be the boring one, then I don't trust any reviewer ever again. Easily my GOTY so far.
Yeh, ditto. I was so apprehensive about dropping £50 on this, but I was hooked from the very first moment.

This is absolutely looking like my GOTY, and so far it's not even close.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Ziplines are way more useful than roads, especially later on. And they're a lot cheaper to build, you just need a PCC level 2 and enough Chiral Bandwidth.

If you want likes so bad, just build bridges, especially bridges leading to preppers. This is coming from the guy with 350k likes and multiple bridges that have 15k+ likes and one single bridge that's sitting at 120k likes.

Haha, to the bridges I have another perfect negative example to show when I'm home after work. Have one really useful bridge but 0 likes in the last 18 hours. All around it in 10k area. :D
Maybe it needs more time, don't know, sometimes it's a bit strange.

oldboss

Nov 9, 2017
16 hours in and just got to chapter 3. I may have gotten too caught up in standard orders.

Same here. Got to chapter 3 and had to stop playing. I keep thinking about how I haven't gotten 5 stars with every distro center/waystation/whatever in the first zone. I'm usually not one to grind, if you can call it that here, but I find immense pleasure in delivering every single piece of cargo. Even back(trekk)tracking doesn't bother me the least, because you always get surprised by new structures facilitating traversal popping up here and there, and the landscape changing. Paths forming on the ground to highlight where you most move about is pretty fucking cool as well.

I think it's safe to say I'm hooked.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck, can we legit get a real skip button for some of the boring stuff like showering? Ugh.
Just press the option button and select skip.
I skip every repetitive scene, of delivering, departing, drinking Monster, eating grubs, showering and whatever else.
It makes for a much speedier and pleasent experience.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
does anyone use the tall grass mechanic? it seems kind of useless?

I've used it almost every single MULE camp or encounter. Just keep sneaking from grass to grass, creep up on them with your rope equipped, and you pretty much take them all out one by one before even being spotted.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Guys if you're worried about combat feeling a bit stale and one-note, it opens up massively later on and the game literally throws dozens of tools at you. I was actually taken aback by this as the trailers kept this shit under wraps. It legit starts to feel like MGSV in the different manners you can take down enemies.

I don't think it's fair to criticise the combat when you're on Episode 2/3 as it really hasn't even opened up yet. Combat in this game is fun and really no different from MGSV. In fact it legit feels like a carbon copy at times once you reach the later chapters. Me sneaking through a MULE camp as Sam for example felt no different from me sneaking through an outpost as Venom Snake in MGSV, especially with the different methods of engagement and tools, gadgets available to you.
I agree with all of this except for the fact that the stealth in this is significantly worse than MGSV. You have less stealth options and enemies can see you a mile away. The stealth component doesn't feel as fleshed out as it should. The game really is more MGS than I think people are expecting.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Haha, to the bridges I have another perfect negative example to show when I'm home after work. Have one really useful bridge but 0 likes in the last 18 hours. All around it in 10k area. :D
Maybe it needs more time, don't know, sometimes it's a bit strange.
Yea I've put a bridge in the most obvious place, just outside the Distribution Center in the direction of Waystation and there are 2 other bridges in slighty different directions nearby that have thousands of likes and my bridge that's been up for 2 days has 0 lol

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in chapter three, and the game does feel like it's starting to settle in. The environment design here is great. Also, the MULES were chasing my ass all through the plains, ha ha.

The game is enjoyable to play, though I think I like playing it in short bursts, as in, play a delivery or two, go do something else, come back and play another delivery or two, etc. I think if I was forced to play it straight like a reviewer I would be less enthused.

Oct 25, 2017
For me this game joins the pantheon of truly great games like Bloodborne or RE4; it's not a perfect game, but it is so fucking good at what it does and how it does it that it'll be my GotY without question and will be a game I am thinking about 5 years down the line.

oldboss

Nov 9, 2017
Just press the option button and select skip.
I skip every repetitive scene, of delivering, departing, drinking Monster, eating grubs, showering and whatever else.
It makes for a much speedier and pleasent experience.

I don't know how far along you are, but you might want to avoid skipping the cutscene where Sam connects BB after departing from his room. Sometimes you get flashbacks you may not want to miss.