• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
See I think this is incredibly intentional. Sam isn't a soldier trained in combat and the stiffness of it all and simplicity is specifically was intended to force players to think of how to best deal with the situation while relying on others for help. Now granted in practice its far too easy to get through entire camps of mules once you know how to use the rope and or get newer weapons and items but I at least think that that was the reason for why combat is so shallow. Idk I think it works for what it is and still enjoy using it. I can also see why you hated it haha.
It's also just because combat isn't a main focus of the game at all.

similar to how MGSV had extremely shallow traversal and environment interaction because it wanted the focus on incredibly in depth combat/stealth. Death Stranding just does the vice versa.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Argh, I've encountered a bug where timefall shelters don't have the option to pass time. Tried multiple different ones in the areas, making my own, restarting the game... nothing's fixing it. And it's not in a story-related area where timefall is locked in, either. 8(
Very annoying cuz I want to do a time-sensitive delivery through an area that frequently rains but it won't clear up for a good 30 minutes.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
It's also just because combat isn't a main focus of the game at all.

similar to how MGSV had extremely shallow traversal and environment interaction because it wanted the focus on incredibly in depth combat/stealth. Death Stranding just does the vice versa.
Combat definitely is a big focus of the game. Chapter 3 is not all of the game. They haven't even introduced all the game mechanics yet.

They give you weapons galore up through Chapter 5. Post Chapter 3 is closer to a Metal Gear game. Honestly the game is a little bit misleading in that way.

Ventilaator

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Laughed out loud when I was reaching the 10-15 hour point where the "miserable slog" of playing this game apparently starts being some actual fun, and then the only thing that changed was that
They gave me a gun
It was funny picturing reviewers getting to that point and going "Oh, finally, the gameplay is starting"

(I've been having a no-asterisks 5/5 experience with this game so far.)

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
That's just information for the player, nobody in the game knows what's happening.
We're well aware. The thing is, you can't suddenly separate the player from the protagonist so many hours in. At no point before that mission were we told to follow stage directions, then suddenly we're asked to do something incredibly stupid with no pretense of agency.
It's a comical action for the player to perform, but it's also in line with how the character was portrayed from the start - a legend in his field who doesn't know how to do his job, a veteran with no concept of how his world works, a man who needs to be told that his mother is, in fact, his mother. Sam is a ridiculous fool and sometimes it's pretty great. Sometimes it's just scary because it doesn't seem like the game is in on the joke.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I need to hit the hay, but I want ya to know this is a profound post you've written here tonight. Suddenly, I get the feeling that you and I share a great deal in common in life. The sort of emotional resonance you've described as having such an impact on you — those things speak to me on such a level.
👍 👍 👍

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Laughed out loud when I was reaching the 10-15 hour point where the "miserable slog" of playing this game apparently starts being some actual fun, and then the only thing that changed was that
They gave me a gun
It was funny picturing reviewers getting to that point and going "Oh, finally, the gameplay is starting"

(I've been having a no-asterisks 5/5 experience with this game so far.)

Cajun

Oct 28, 2017
Argh, I've encountered a bug where timefall shelters don't have the option to pass time. Tried multiple different ones in the areas, making my own, restarting the game... nothing's fixing it. And it's not in a story-related area where timefall is locked in, either. 8(
Very annoying cuz I want to do a time-sensitive delivery through an area that frequently rains but it won't clear up for a good 30 minutes.

Out of curiosity, have all of the timefall shelters you've tried been outside of the timefall? The only time I was unable to wait out under a shelter, I built one slightly outside of the timefall, so I thought I just screwed myself over by not building it within the zone. Maybe you don't have the option to wait if you're not currently within timefall?

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity, have all of the timefall shelters you've tried been outside of the timefall? The only time I was unable to wait out under a shelter, I built one slightly outside of the timefall, so I thought I just screwed myself over by not building it within the zone. Maybe you don't have the option to wait if there's no timefall?
Ohhh, shit! That might have been it, cuz thinking back on it I'm pretty sure all the shelters I tried were just outside of where timefall was happening. I didn't even think about that.
Damn, if that's the case they really need to add an option to pass time anywhere then.

Oct 27, 2017
They can literally materialize stuff out if thin air here.
I believe the explanation is
Is that they can only print that stuff because it is taken from the Seam, where time doesn't pass. The item already exists in the seam since because the people wanted to make it, so Instead Of waiting weeks for it to be made/materialize, they transport it from the seam where it exists finished.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Figured it out. Just have to hold Option lol.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Wait, how many roads are there in Chapter 3? I only did some stuff on the default road before going to bed for the night.

Gonna raid me some mule camps moehaha.

Even unlocked a trophy, apparantly when raiding a mule camp with friendly porters around and keeping them safe will unlock it.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a trick to using the blood grenades? I swear, sometimes I can consistently nail BTs with them perfectly, other times the thing will arc way over their fucking heads despite the fucking crosshair being red and directly over them.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Couple of questions for you lovelies.Please.

1: Where is that lake crater lake where i can put the chi latte contaminated cargo ?
2: There's a cheevo for cutting the umbilical cord without a BT noticing. How do i do that ?

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Couple of questions for you lovelies.Please.

1: Where is that lake crater lake where i can put the chi latte contaminated cargo ?
2: There's a cheevo for cutting the umbilical cord without a BT noticing. How do i do that ?

it's the giant body of water at the SE of the second map. it's a story thing you'll know when you can do it

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Combat definitely is a big focus of the game. Chapter 3 is not all of the game. They haven't even introduced all the game mechanics yet.

They give you weapons galore up through Chapter 5. Post Chapter 3 is closer to a Metal Gear game. Honestly the game is a little bit misleading in that way.

Considering how much I have despised the combat but generally enjoyed the traversal I do not like the sound of that, lol.

Atleast chapter 3 is taking forever I guess.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
What happened to the BTs and the forest area after connecting the wind farm? I swear the land changed somehow.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
That Chapter 5 boss fight is pathetic, tbh.

Stay in the entryway to Mama's lab and use the terminal to print out an assault rifle, drain all 210 bullets into the lion's face before tossing away the empty gun and printing out a fresh one.

Rinse, repeat, yawn.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
That Chapter 5 boss fight is pathetic, tbh.

Stay in the entryway to Mama's lab and use the terminal to print out an assault rifle, drain all 210 bullets into the lion's face before tossing away the empty gun and printing out a fresh one.

Rinse, repeat, yawn.
I just ran past it. lol

It was extremely underwhelming especially after how hype that intro cutscene was.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Sam didn't forget his
mother was the president.

Sam was amazed the office still existed.

Nit sure if that's a spoiler now...

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Just finished it. 37 hours and 8 minutes and I did quite a lot of side quests. Didn't get boring at all and I can't wait to go back for more.

That was truly one of the best gaming experiences I've had in my life. I have no words. The writing is a bit tacky and some of the acting is a little off, but overall it was incredible. The game itself isn't that fun to play until later on when you get more stuff for traversal and you get to see and trek through more different biomes, but it doesn't have to be fun. It's a reflection of Sam's struggle to reconnect America and find out the truth behind the Death Stranding.

As a reviewer I'm not one to give out a 10 that easy (never gave a 10 in my 10+ years of reviewing games), but this easily is a 10/10 experience for me.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oh the first sentence is about your first question, the second is about the second. you're free to do the first whenever
Ahh. Sorry for not making myself not more clear.

I kinda do want to go put that shit in the lake. I just wanna get out of chapter 3. LOL.
What chapter are you on? I can only answer this question if you're either on or past a certain chapter
One or two deliveries past connecting the junk dealer to the UCA network.

Jhn

Oct 28, 2017
Currently at late Chapter 3, genuinely great game. Nice to get something that isn't like everything else once in a while.

A few complaints:
  • Having to skip the same long cutscenes every time you do mundane shit like shower or deliver generic packages. At least give me a designated skip button so I can save a few presses.
  • Relies waaaaaaay to heavily on storytelling though long-winded hologram monologues at delivery points. I'd take a weird 40 minute Kojima cutscene over that shit any day of the week.
  • Monster. Just what the fuck? The most intrusive and jarring product placement I've seen since airwaves in Splinter Cell.

Frag Waffles

Apr 7, 2018
Just emerged from my weekend play session. I had to have put in about 20 hours and am still in chapter 3, though no idea how far in
just connected the distribution center south of lake knot and sent out a robot

I love the world, gameplay systems and gameplay loop. I can't get enough.

Zeel

Oct 27, 2017
I see that many people are having issues with the last order in chapter 5 (transporting Mama), it's actually very easy and quick. Just go to the nearest private room, drop off all your cargo there and teleport to South Knot City, from there go to Mama's lab and pick her up on a trike. Driver her to the weather station first, then continue driving to the west through the mountain range until you reach Mountain Knot City. If you look closely on the map and shift the view with the touchpad, you will notice that there is an easily passable, flat-ish path through the mountain range. So basically you just keep driving west after picking her up, there is no need to go all the way around the north, like you do the first time you go through the area.

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
I've never liked a Kojima game but first few hours here have me hooked. Are there any podcasts or videos I should watch that help me understand the story. It's pretty nonsensical TBH but I like the game enough to want to dig in more.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm 12 hours in and barely reached the port, I think I'm about to hit chapter 3? I'm having a blast managing cargo, figuring out routes, fighting BTs.
One thing I wish was made a bit more clear is that you can end up redoing standard jobs for people. I was trying to clear them until I noticed I already had ranks on them from doing them before. Other than that this game is incredible.

Oct 27, 2017
For those that have completed the game, or even those much farther than episode 3, is it fair to say that it's comfortably the longest episode in the entire game? Really seems to have gone on quite a while, though it seems like it's approaching the end.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
This game just gets better and better. I think I'm almost done with Chapter 6. 25 hours in now

Jun 23, 2019
Aww damnit, I think I broke the game. I accidentally slipped in the river in Chapter 3 and the prescription meds I was delivering washed away. It let me redeploy the cargo, but when I went back to the distro center, the meds weren't there. When I tried to redeploy again, I keep getting a message that says, "Cannot be used, as you currently are in danger." What?

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
For those that have completed the game, or even those much farther than episode 3, is it fair to say that it's comfortably the longest episode in the entire game? Really seems to have gone on quite a while, though it seems like it's approaching the end.
I'll tag my answer just in case.
Yeah, I think 3 is the longest. There are some other long ones as well, but iirc 3 is the longest one.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
Please tell me I'm not the only one who wishes this game wasn't as long as it was?

I'm about twenty hours in and still in Chapter 3.

I'm pretty sure at twenty hours, I've now played Death Stranding for longer than I ever played any of the Metal Gear Solid games on first playthrough except for Phantom Pain, and yet I can tell I'm still relatively early on.

Now I'm heading into work and I know I'm not going to be able to make a lot of progress until the weekend.

I mean, the game is good and fascinating and unique. But it's just a lot, you know?

I think it's just the nature of modern games more than anything.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
After putting in about 10 hours in a redbox rental this weekend and getting to the beginning of chapter 3, I gotta say I really enjoy the game. Contrary to most opinions I dont think I've ever been 'bored' of the gameplay, its engaging enough and a great change of pace. Love planning routes and adapting the changes on the fly. BTs and Mules are a slog but after the first hour or so BTs become trivially easy so at least theres that.

Overall on of the things I'm most happy about is how they made an open world non-violent game interesting and fun. Love the social aspects, feels just perfect.

Oct 25, 2017
Who else here, near the end of Episode 3...
neglected to deliver the bomb to Fragile and had to trek all the way back? Thinking about it now, I should've just restarted from my save at the beginning of the delivery...
It was awful. Combine that mess with whatever Episode 4's deal is and I did not have a very pleasant time with the game tonight.

But hey, at least I finally have
zip-lines!

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
That's what I love about it: Sam was never a fighter. So he performs as well as any of us would do if we were in his situation.
This doesn't really follow, though, because Sam is also an expert martial artist who can parry any incoming blow with a really generous timing window.

I love this game as a whole, but the MULEs and the BTs aren't just trivial opposition - they don't even qualify as opposition at all. I can only assume it's an intentional design choice, to make all the threats pushovers or downright optional, but there's a strange disconnect between how the story treats these things as being terrifying, but then Sam just buzzes past them on an old bike he fixed up in a few minutes.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't really follow, though, because Sam is also an expert martial artist who can parry any incoming blow with a really generous timing window.

I love this game as a whole, but the MULEs and the BTs aren't just trivial opposition - they don't even qualify as opposition at all. I can only assume it's an intentional design choice, to make all the threats pushovers or downright optional, but there's a strange disconnect between how the story treats these things as being terrifying, but then Sam just buzzes past them on an old bike he fixed up in a few minutes.

BTs especially. They are crazy generous on how you can get "caught" and wiggle out.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Yesterday i was addicted to deliver shit, refusing to advance in the story because i had the "need" to deliver one more cargo. Today, in chapter 3, im addicted in building "infrastructures" to make my deliveries easier and faster. Been just running around all over the map raiding Mule camps, stealing materials to build more roads. Welp.
I love how the terrain keeps changing, and what was once an uneven terrain with grass and rocks, start giving shape to many dirt trails because so many players crossed the same path.