• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I feel like all of us in here get it, this post should be in the other thread haha
I don't know what it is about this game, but there's just some seriously tranquil moments that come out of nowhere and elevate the entire experience for me. I saw that a Timefall shower was coming on so I decided to run to the nearest shelter. These shelters offer you the ability to completely skip ahead 10 minutes so you can get the weather to clear but I saw the structure was playing "I'm Leaving" by Low Roar. This is my favourite Low Roar song and got me through some tough times in my life.

I felt oddly compelled to just simply sit under the structure and wait the Timefall out by listening to this great song. It's here that my super weary Sam who's been delivering cargo for hours on end and hasn't had the chance to catch a break at a Private Room simply dozed off while this relaxing music played, as the presence of the relentless and violent Timefall rain roared on in the background. I don't know why, but in this moment... I kinda felt like tearing up a bit. It just brought back some rough memories haha. Memories of desolation, woe, sorrow and sadness. The exact same kinds of things Sam has surely experienced on his journey to reunite America. And other Porters too, trekking across this barren and bleak future.

I'm not really one to get emotional at video games but this got me. One of my favourite video game moments ever. Probably my favourite. I think what's amazing about this is that it just popped up out of nowhere, simply because of the circumstances I was in. This wasn't a cutscene or some scripted event. It just happened in the open-world, and this kind of thing is so common in Death Stranding. I love it.

This moment here does a really good job of capturing what Death Stranding is in my opinion. That sadness, melancholic, but somewhat hopeful vibe that permeates every aspect of the game. The game may be divisive, and some people may not like it, but I'm so glad that this thing I've been looking forward to for years absolutely delivered and then some. I couldn't ask for any more.

I recorded the moment so you see what I mean, just check the YT vid below if you've got time. If you don't mind, I'm going to copy this post and put it under the description as I really poured my heart out here :D

Last edited:

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, can we legit get a real skip button for some of the boring stuff like showering? Ugh.

EekumBokum

Oct 25, 2017
Once the PC version comes out, if someone manages to mod out BT areas (except for the obvious story related parts) I'll double dip.
Even just modding out that little scanner cutscene everytime you enter a BT area would be a huge improvement tbh. A lot of times that happens and I'm mostly away from BTs collecting mats 😐

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Does any rain damage your cargo or only the black one? Also BTs only appear during the latter right?

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played maybe 4 hours or so.

They can literally materialize stuff out if thin air here.

I must not have been paying attention lol but is there an example of this? I thought transport over the chiral network was limited to holograms, digital stuff etc.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Why does this girl in Episode 3 have some weird accent that neither of her parents have?
It gets explained

Can someone carefully explain to me Ha and Ka, please use spoiler tags.

"The ka was essentially a person's double," it was the life force and at death it was separated from the body.[18,2] The reason for extensive and elaborate preparation for the body for the after life was to ensure the ka had a home. The living would sometimes provide bread, beer, oxen and fowl to feed the ka for the afterlife. They also believed the deceased body would have to resemble the past living body as much as possible so the ka could recognize its body and then the ba would "return to it each night after spending time in the sunshine."[18] The living would leave more than just food for the deceased if possible. They would also leave servants, weapons, jewelry, clothes, and their mummified pets, in their tomb—anything that would help them in their afterlife. The tombs would also house the Shabti [18,19] statues that represented servants who would help the owner of the tomb in the after life. "The backs of these figurines were inscribed with Chapter 6 of The Book of the Dead. This spell ensured that if the owner of the shabti was called upon at any time to do any kind of compulsory labour the shabti would respond and perform the duty instead of its owner."[19] The tombs from the Age of the Pyramids would have inscriptions on the tomb that would read, "May this official be given a thousand loaves of bread, a thousand jugs of beer", in hopes this prayer would be enough to feed the ka, if no offerings were available.[2]

The ba, another spiritual entity was seen as a human-headed bird hovering over the deceased or exiting the tomb in the hieroglyphics, and was the part of the soul that could travel between the worlds of the living and the dead.[18,2] During the Age of the Pyramids, it was believed only the King had a ba. The word ba was similar to the word 'ram' and was associated with strength and power. In later periods of Egyptian history, it was believed every person had a ba.[18] The ba also required food to move and survive in the afterworld. There are images from Ramesside Books of the Dead that show the ba perched on the arm of the decease, or hugged to his body, like a pet parrot. The small pyramids built over the tomb chapels at Deir el Medina contained a little niche near the top, where the ba could perch, to watch the sunrise and to observe the goings-on in the village where it had lived."[2]

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Any stealth tips for MULEs? Even when not carrying cargo so I can't be pinged by their sensors they still seem to have insane eyesight range. Not a lot of tall grass or rocks around to hide.

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
I've got to say 30 hours in and this is my GOTY I totally feel what Kojima intended with this game and I'm so glad it resonates with me. This game just entered on my absolutely essential games list.

The moment to moment gameplay is crazy It's BotW all over again and I'm cherishing every moment I can.

*I really need to start doing some story stuff I'm still stuck on episode 3...

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I get that, I just don't understand how.
The whole concept is nonsense. I really wouldnt delve into it more besides just knowing that earlier statement. I have a hunch it ties into a couple of other characters though.

Forget stealth and just rope and beat them up. They're a joke.
You can't really do that past a certain point so the question the other poster has is valid. I'm trying to find some sort of tactic myself.

Old Luke

Jul 20, 2018
Played maybe 4 hours or so.

They can literally materialize stuff out if thin air here.

Also, are there any caves in the open world ? The opening cutscene shows sam taking shelter from time fall in a cave but there never seem to be caves in the open world..
The only time I saw a cave was on the first mission they send you to a Mule camp to retrieve a stolen cargo. I remember walkint trough it to reach the camp, and some player leaved a Rain Protection message or something.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
deathstranding_201911x0j3r.png

Horizon: ZD Easter Egg

deathstranding_2019114ekmj.png

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Im loving climbing this mountain in chapter 5/6!

It forces you to use all your tools, skyriming my way up rocky surfaces that i should not climb, laddering and roping the things i shouldnt climb and now ive built an extensive zipline network through the entire place. Its so goood.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, can we legit get a real skip button for some of the boring stuff like showering? Ugh.
There is. Just pause and choose skip. I do it every single time. It's takes less than 3 seconds.
I get that, I just don't understand how.
It's based on ancient Egyptian cosmology. vestan posted an explanation
It gets explained

"The ka was essentially a person's double," it was the life force and at death it was separated from the body.[18,2] The reason for extensive and elaborate preparation for the body for the after life was to ensure the ka had a home. The living would sometimes provide bread, beer, oxen and fowl to feed the ka for the afterlife. They also believed the deceased body would have to resemble the past living body as much as possible so the ka could recognize its body and then the ba would "return to it each night after spending time in the sunshine."[18] The living would leave more than just food for the deceased if possible. They would also leave servants, weapons, jewelry, clothes, and their mummified pets, in their tomb—anything that would help them in their afterlife. The tombs would also house the Shabti [18,19] statues that represented servants who would help the owner of the tomb in the after life. "The backs of these figurines were inscribed with Chapter 6 of The Book of the Dead. This spell ensured that if the owner of the shabti was called upon at any time to do any kind of compulsory labour the shabti would respond and perform the duty instead of its owner."[19] The tombs from the Age of the Pyramids would have inscriptions on the tomb that would read, "May this official be given a thousand loaves of bread, a thousand jugs of beer", in hopes this prayer would be enough to feed the ka, if no offerings were available.[2]

The ba, another spiritual entity was seen as a human-headed bird hovering over the deceased or exiting the tomb in the hieroglyphics, and was the part of the soul that could travel between the worlds of the living and the dead.[18,2] During the Age of the Pyramids, it was believed only the King had a ba. The word ba was similar to the word 'ram' and was associated with strength and power. In later periods of Egyptian history, it was believed every person had a ba.[18] The ba also required food to move and survive in the afterworld. There are images from Ramesside Books of the Dead that show the ba perched on the arm of the decease, or hugged to his body, like a pet parrot. The small pyramids built over the tomb chapels at Deir el Medina contained a little niche near the top, where the ba could perch, to watch the sunrise and to observe the goings-on in the village where it had lived."[2]

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The highway requirements starting in chapter 5 get to be insane god damn. Guess I wont be attempting to complete highways by myself in this chapter.

Still loving the game. I'm probably at like 25-28 hours and only on chapter 5 which is crazy to me. I agree with the sentiment that this is like BoTW. I'm just loving playing with the systems, exploring, building structures to help people, fighting the BTs and Mules, etc. Gonna slow down a bit and play around with some of the new tools they introduced in chapter 5. Theres so much to learn with this game (all the never ending systems and items to learn) its overwhelming at times trying to keep track of everything. Its impressive from a designer perspective that kojima and co created all of it in this insane world.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Uhh... in Chapter 3, there's an optional job from a film director for 800+ likes that requires you to deliver a fuck-ton of cargo. How am I supposed to carry this much?

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't get over how poor the writing is in Death Stranding; the dialogue is laughably awkward, campy, cheesy, etc. about 75% of the time. Is that intentional?

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
There is. Just pause and choose skip. I do it every single time. It's takes less than 3 seconds.
It's annoying though when you have to do it upwards 4-5 times. Either you should be able to just press a single button to skip it, have a menu option to automatically skip this stuff, or when you skip a cutscene it skips all those stupid secondary ones.
Uhh... in Chapter 3, there's an optional job from a film director for 800+ likes that requires you to deliver a fuck-ton of cargo. How am I supposed to carry this much?
Multiple trips and a truck.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
I'm still super early on
(just went through the forest of BT's to reach the wind farm)
having had little time to play it this weekend.
Man this game reminds of the movie MOON in all the best ways possible in terms of isolation and being a corporate grunt.

Can't wait to dive in some more, the delivery loop is already tingling my senses.
Story is classic Kojima unchained so far as well, I adore it/characters and the cut scene execution is superb.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bring lots of floaters. LMAO.
It's annoying though when you have to do it upwards 4-5 times. Either you should be able to just press a single button to skip it, have a menu option to automatically skip this stuff, or when you skip a cutscene it skips all those stupid secondary ones.
I never minded doing it. I'm quite quick at it now. LOL.

Though i do agree. I've thought for many many years now, there should be an auto-skip cutscenes option for speed running.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
I swear, Sam has to be the dumbest mother fucker on the planet.
Game: This is a nuke. You now have a nuke on your backpack. The timer will start ticking down when it's not on your backpack. Fragile should seriously take a look at this nuke. The nuke that's on your backpack.

Sam: Cool. I'm just gonna toss it in storage and take a nap.
This game's handling of its protagonist seriously feels as if someone got the script to Zoolander and turned it into a movie without realizing it was supposed to be a comedy. It's wild that these cutscenes were allowed to be made. So much money, time and talent went into staging the most beautiful trainwreck.

Oct 27, 2017
PSA announcement:

If you climb up an anchored rope, don't be the person to get to the top and turn around and throw the rope behind you so that it's no longer hanging over the cliff edge.

Plz & Thank you

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'm kind of enjoying this game. love the atmosphere, art direction and sound but the dialogue is heavy handed. i hate being spoon fed information and i wish there was a bit more mystery box.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Anyone else having server issues? It kicked me out then won't let me rejoin a server even after quitting the game. I'm online and can see my friends...

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Game: This is a nuke. You now have a nuke on your backpack. The timer will start ticking down when it's not on your backpack. Fragile should seriously take a look at this nuke. The nuke that's on your backpack.

This game's handling of its protagonist seriously feels as if someone got the script to Zoolander and turned it into a movie without realizing it was supposed to be a comedy. It's wild that these cutscenes were allowed to be made. So much money, time and talent went into staging the most beautiful trainwreck.
Yea that whole thing was kind of hilarious. Someone clearly fucked up as it's obvious what is from the item description but then you have the cutscene later where Sam doesn't know what it is. That's just a blatant screw up on Kojima's part.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Honestly, this game has totally taken me by surprise. I know it's a total love it or hate it kind of game- so I went in as blank as possible. And I just spent 3 hours doing deliveries for the Dorito Pope himself because I wanted his hologram. This game brings out the joy I felt in running everywhere in Breath of the Wild and I want to keep playing, but I gotta wake up for work in 6 hours haha! Maybe I'll finish Ch.3 tomorrow, maybe I'll just keep running around and doing side quests. Who knows.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The combat with the mules might genuinely be the worst in a AAA game, even worse than the combat in Horizon Zero Dawn against the humans. At least it's easy, but man going from MGS5 to this is the biggest downgrade in combat I've ever seen.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019

I don't think Sam knew what was inside. It was never opened until Fragile did. The information showing what it was in the menu was a gameplay thing for the player to know.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
30hs this weekend, and now workweek begins. -_-

I'm where I believe is the end of Episode 3, probably a boss fight awaits me lol.

The game is phenomenal, the plot advances slow (my fault since I travel a lot! doing sidequests) and some scenes are kinda weak but overall this is fantastic sci fi, and the missions are getting better and better, I feel that the longer the trek on a mission, the better the game gets.

Combat is probably the weakest aspect so far but it still fun and you have lots of tools at your disposal to engage.
The story, the systems, the world design and the hiking is marvelous. Music is fantastic too, I love when a song kicks in, I'll be listening Low Roar tomorrow a lot.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina

Yea that whole thing was kind of hilarious. Someone clearly fucked up as it's obvious what is from the item description but then you have the cutscene later where Sam doesn't know what it is. That's just a blatant screw up on Kojima's part.

That's just information for the player, nobody in the game knows what's happening. It's not a label on the box that explains it.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone else having server issues? It kicked me out then won't let me rejoin a server even after quitting the game. I'm online and can see my friends...
If you go into systems you can hit connect to reconnect to the server rather than quit out everytime. It might not reconnect you if youre having server problems but at the very least will be a much quicker process to try and reconnect (this happens to me every now and then).

I can't get over how poor the writing is in Death Stranding; the dialogue is laughably awkward, campy, cheesy, etc. about 75% of the time. Is that intentional?
People on here keep referring to the story as being written like its intended audience is derek zoolander and I can't think of a more apt description for it. Luckily everything else is fantastic so its easy to just roll with it.

Deleted member 19782

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The combat with the mules might genuinely be the worst in a AAA game, even worse than the combat in Horizon Zero Dawn against the humans. At least it's easy, but man going from MGS5 to this is the biggest downgrade in combat I've ever seen.

That's what I love about it: Sam was never a fighter. So he performs as well as any of us would do if we were in his situation.

Quinton

Specialist at TheGamer / Reviewer at RPG Site
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar, With Love
I don't know what it is about this game, but there's just some seriously tranquil moments that come out of nowhere and elevate the entire experience for me. I saw that a Timefall shower was coming on so I decided to run to the nearest shelter. These shelters offer you the ability to completely skip ahead 10 minutes so you can get the weather to clear but I saw the structure was playing "I'm Leaving" by Low Roar. This is my favourite Low Roar song and got me through some tough times in my life.

I felt oddly compelled to just simply sit under the structure and wait the Timefall out by listening to this great song. It's here that my super weary Sam who's been delivering cargo for hours on end and hasn't had the chance to catch a break at a Private Room simply dozed off while this relaxing music played, as the presence of the relentless and violent Timefall rain roared on in the background. I don't know why, but in this moment... I kinda felt like tearing up a bit. It just brought back some rough memories haha. Memories of desolation, woe, sorrow and sadness. The exact same kinds of things Sam has surely experienced on his journey to reunite America. And other Porters too, trekking across this barren and bleak future.

I'm not really one to get emotional at video games but this got me. One of my favourite video game moments ever. Probably my favourite. I think what's amazing about this is that it just popped up out of nowhere, simply because of the circumstances I was in. This wasn't a cutscene or some scripted event. It just happened in the open-world, and this kind of thing is so common in Death Stranding. I love it.

This moment here does a really good job of capturing what Death Stranding is in my opinion. That sadness, melancholic, but somewhat hopeful vibe that permeates every aspect of the game. The game may be divisive, and some people may not like it, but I'm so glad that this thing I've been looking forward to for years absolutely delivered and then some. I couldn't ask for any more.

I recorded the moment so you see what I mean, just check the YT vid below if you've got time. If you don't mind, I'm going to copy this post and put it under the description as I really poured my heart out here :D

I need to hit the hay, but I want ya to know this is a profound post you've written here tonight. Suddenly, I get the feeling that you and I share a great deal in common in life. The sort of emotional resonance you've described as having such an impact on you — those things speak to me on such a level.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
See I think this is incredibly intentional. Sam isn't a soldier trained in combat and the stiffness of it all and simplicity is specifically was intended to force players to think of how to best deal with the situation while relying on others for help. Now granted in practice its far too easy to get through entire camps of mules once you know how to use the rope and or get newer weapons and items but I at least think that that was the reason for why combat is so shallow. Idk I think it works for what it is and still enjoy using it. I can also see why you hated it haha.